Suthep seeks postponement of indictment

webfact

Suthep seeks postponement of indictment
By Digital Content

13922739631503-640x390x2.jpg

BANGKOK, Feb 13-- Former deputy prime minister-turned-protest leader Suthep Thaugsuban has sought postponement of a hearing on his indictment for his role in connection with the political violence in 2010.

Nantasak Poolsak, Director General of the Special Litigation Department, Office of the Attorney General said Mr Suthep's lawyer has informed the state prosecutors that his client was asking for another postponement until March 13.

Mr Nantasak said the lawyer gave the reason that Mr Suthep, as secretary general of the anti-government People's Democratic Reform Committee (PDRC), was still engaged in leading the protest.

Mr Suthep has been ordered to report to the prosecutor's office by Feb 13 and this was his fourth request for postponement.

Former prime minister Abhisit Vejjajiva and Mr Suthep have been charged with premeditated and attempted murder for ordering the Centre for the Resolution of the Emergency Situation (CRES) to crack down on red shirt protesters of the United Front for Democracy against Dictatorship (UDD) in 2010, resulting in more than 90 deaths and hundreds of injuries.

Mr Suthep was then the director of CRES.

Mr Abhisit reported for indictment last December and was released on bail.

Mr Nantasak said the Office of the Attorney General would then ask the investigators of the Department of Special Investigation (DSI) to summon Mr Suthep for indictment and the arrest could be sought if he still fails to meet the authorities.

Mr Nantasak said the Criminal Court scheduled to examine evidence in the case March 24 and a hearing would proceed for Mr Abhisit separately without waiting for Mr Suthep, a codefendent in the case. (MCOT online news)

tnalogo.jpg
-- TNA 2014-02-13

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Those who do not have a court date are welcome to continue without Suthep. If "the people" are really behind the cause, then they shouldn't need him. Leaders like him are necessary to keep protests from degrading into mob-mentality riots, but there is no reason he can't pass the torch and go peacefully. If he is afraid that the protestors will disband without him, then it would show that the protestors are committed to him and not the cause.

• Like 2

You can't be serious.

Try postponing murder charges in any US or EU court with the reason that you are busy trying to topple a democratically elected government.

Of course it's ridiculous but this is Thailand where the government is run by a convicted felon from abroad. That wouldn't happen in the US or the EU either.

Normal democratic principals don't apply here.

Evidence please?

• Like 2

Lots of people in the world are charged falsely, they still front up to court like Abhisit why should Suthep be any different? See what your ultimately saying is disregard the rule of law which is one of many of Thailand's problems. Yes innocent until proven guilty indeed. But what a great excuse! In any other country he would be before the courts shame Thailand and all others who do and think likewise.... Including guilty reds or not guilty reds... See there, that was simple logic hey.... wink.png

Sent from my i-mobile i-STYLE 8.2 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

then f they want him in court so bad, tell chalerm to go and arrest him 555

see what happens then ....555

• Like 1

You can't be serious.

Try postponing murder charges in any US or EU court with the reason that you are busy trying to topple a democratically elected government.

Lucky he is not in the US or the EU then heay….

Just because you can eat durian in a US or EU hotel doesn't mean you can eat it in a Thai hotel.

Your (PTP) logic dictates you can?

Edited by djjamie
  • Like 1

You can't be serious.

Try postponing murder charges in any US or EU court with the reason that you are busy trying to topple a democratically elected government.cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif

Charges which are false, brought about by Thaksin in the hope of forcing Abhisit or Suthep to agree an amnesty bill allowing the real criminal free return to Thailand!

Or did you forget that some red shirts didn't like that idea! Which is one of the reasons why PTP find themselves in trouble now.

Besides it's not postponement of murder charges! he has supposedly been charged already! he just hasn't acknowledged the charges yet! But until he is found GUILTY, he is innocent.

False accusations or not , the place to defend is in court, secondly it is an contempt to the court by repeatedly saying you do not have the time to come .....Abhisit found time ..or not? NO time to come to a Judge .....try this in any other country......only in " AMAZING Thailand" this is possible .

cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gifcheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif

• Like 2

You can't be serious.

Well not to split straws you have another in Dubai , who was under investigation for human rights abuse , why is he still there and not still being investigated by the UN strange that.

• Like 1

You can't be serious.

Charges which are false, brought about by Thaksin in the hope of forcing Abhisit or Suthep to agree an amnesty bill allowing the real criminal free return to Thailand!

Or did you forget that some red shirts didn't like that idea! Which is one of the reasons why PTP find themselves in trouble now.

Besides it's not postponement of murder charges! he has supposedly been charged already! he just hasn't acknowledged the charges yet! But until he is found GUILTY, he is innocent.

Why can't he acknowledge the murder charges?

Any other person accused of murder, do you think for a second that they would be allowed to use the excuse that they are "busy" and can't go to the court?

This kind of behavior by Suthep sets a very dangerous precedent because in the future other accused murderers will be able to use the same excuse based on it being allowed in Suthep's case.

• Like 2

You can't be serious.

Of course it's ridiculous but this is Thailand where the government is run by a convicted felon from abroad. That wouldn't happen in the US or the EU either.

Evidence please?

Don't be ridiculous.

• Like 1

Am I missing something here? He was to appear on charges of political violence, but he was too busy leading another political protest with the goal of over throwing the current government. And a protest that has had it's share of violence

Try pitching that excuse in almost any court elsewhere in the world and see how far you get

If this kind of attitude to Legal Process is indicative of how Suthep's Assembly will operate, I vote no.

Oh, I forgot, nobody is allowed to vote on the Assembly.

My bad.

coffee1.gif

May I nominate your post for "post of the day" please?

Abhisit has the money to cover bail

Suthep is bankrupt as the released figures last week or so showed

Suthep cannot pay the bail

Suthep is still counting his collections to see if his court fee can be paid

Well, that must be excuse enough not to attend the hearing.

Dear judge, I am broke (because I just bought a 280 million lot of land) so I cannot attend the hearing because I will not be able to post bail.

Maybe someone should write a "Dummy's Guide" for accused murderers and the excuses they can provide the judges with in order to not have to answer the charges.

- Sorry, busy protesting!

- Sorry, I'm broke!

etc...

Why do so many of you say this wouldn't happen back in my country? Its their rules their law. The reason many of us are here is because things are done differently. Some are much better here some things are not but taking everything into account I prefer living here. If you do not like the way things are done here you have a choice. UP TO YOU

Edited by uty6543
  • Like 2

You can't be serious.

Evidence please?

If you have to ask, you are a total, complete **&%$*

This isn't a democracy (slap, slap) its a constitutional monarchy which is a banana republic.

Edited by gemini81
  • Like 1

You can't be serious.

Haha.

The charges that Suthep and Abhisit are facing would never have be brought in the territories you mention.

It's all being stage managed by Kangaroo Tarit and will very soon backfire on him with a vengeance

Anyway - what's the issue with democratically toppling a cheating government? The west should do it much more often that it does.

Read the link showing the "coups" that America have backed.

http://www.krysstal.com/democracy_whyusa01.html

Only reason they are not backing one in Thailand is because of the immense investment the West has made in the Shinawatra's since 2001. They don't want to loose that investment. Nothing to do with democracy. The perception is that it is democracy, but it is far from it and that is the card the PTP are playing.

• Like 1

You can't be serious.

There isn't a democratically elected government - there is only a caretaker one. He is trying to oust a particular family and their influence and push for electoral reforms prior to further elections.

The US and EU countries (well most of them) would not put up with a government that lies, cheats, refuses to answer questions, refuses to divulge figures and appears riddled with the worst corruption seen to date, even by Thai standards.

Being democratically elected, even with a large minority, doesn't confer the right to do as you want and attempt to place yourself above the law.

• Like 2

Suthep political life seems to be one big string of failures... from inability to be elected, to rampant corruption when he was in power, to murder charges, his frustration culminating in attempts at sedition and a series of failed attempts at toppling a democratically elected government... weaseling out of arrest warrants, postponement of indictment....

Suthep is walking down a one way road leading directly to jail, its not an if, it's a "when". With all the blood on his hands, it could be for life.

• Like 2

You can't be serious.

Why can't he acknowledge the murder charges?

Any other person accused of murder, do you think for a second that they would be allowed to use the excuse that they are "busy" and can't go to the court?

This kind of behavior by Suthep sets a very dangerous precedent because in the future other accused murderers will be able to use the same excuse based on it being allowed in Suthep's case.

Quoting my last post because I am still waiting for an answer as to why he can't acknowledge the murder charges.

If this kind of attitude to Legal Process is indicative of how Suthep's Assembly will operate, I vote no.

Oh, I forgot, nobody is allowed to vote on the Assembly.

My bad.

coffee1.gif

You misunderstand. "This kind of attitude to Legal Process" only applies to the leaders of said assmbly, not to ordinary citizens who would soon discover how few rights and priviliges they would have.

In a normal society thaksins conviction would get him in prison by extraditing him here. Instead he hides without fear in another country extending his influence here.

Isnt that enough evidence for you all to see that laws for politicians are treated differently than laws for normal average citizens.

Sent from my GT-S5310 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by thesetat2013
  • Like 1