Suggestions Sought for Bike Tool Kit Storage

GarryP

I have had quite a few bad experiences with punctures while a long way from home. As a result whenever I go out on a ride I always take my tool kit, pump, spare inner tube, patches, etc. For this, I use a courier bag, which is overkill unless I buy something when out and about (1 in every 10 trips I end up buying something). Then I at least have somewhere to put my purchases. However, the courier bag acts like a heater and my back is always soaking. I want to down size my storage options but am at a loss as to what to do. I have a sadlle bag but do not want to leave my tools in it if I am away from the bike. They would end up getting stolen. Has anyone had experience with a bum bag? Are they big enough for a full tool set and spare inner tube? Can you buy any decent ones in Thailand. I would also buy a small cloth bag with a pair of string straps (like a back pack) and take it out to store any purchases. Any pointers would be greatly appreciated.

Edited by GarryP

Garry

I'm a touring cyclist having traveled through numerous countries here in SEA and extensively through Thailand. I completely understand what you're saying about punctures. I have eliminated most of the problems by switching to Schwalbe Marathon tires. They are not cheap but they are verrrrrry good. On a recent trip from my home in Udon Thani to Vietnam via southern Cambodia and back I had only one puncture and that was here in Thailand. However, your question is really about tools so here's what I take with me:

2 spare inner tubes

1 bike mounted Topeak air pump

1 patch kit

1 chain whip to remove the rear cassette in case of broken spokes or other problems

1 Park tool to go with the chain whip to remove the rear cassette

1 bicycle multi tool

1 3 inch pair of locking pliers

1 Swiss Army knife with lots of blades etc on it

I carry one inner tube in my seat bag and one in a rear pannier. The topeak air pump is mounted to the bike frame. The bicycle multi tool and vice grips also go in my seat bag. The Swiss Army knife is carried in my bar bag. All the other tools are stored in my rear pannier with a bottle of chain cleaner (kerosene) and chain lube. I carry nothing on my back for the same reason you state.

I never leave my bike unattended and always lock it to something stationary when I go into a 7/11 etc. Over the course of 5 years of touring I have only had one tool stolen - my old Swiss Army knife - which I mistakenly stored in my seat bag. I've learned my lesson the hard way.

I hope this helps. Please feel free to PM me or post additional questions and I'll do my best to answer them.

May the wind always be at your back

Mike

fdimike, thanks for the input. My travels are much less arduous than yours. I work during the week and so am limited to the weekends. My rides usually are anywhere from 30 to 150 kms but in Bangkok and the suburbs out to Chachoengsao and Laem Fa Pah, etc. My tool needs are quite a bit less than yours and if absolutely necessary (due to serious breakdown, something you would take in your stride but which would take me half a day to put right smile.png ) I can always get a lift home, either by taxi or pickup. I am just fed up with sweating to death with a courier bag on my back, when the extra space is usually not needed. I need something smaller to keep my tools in, i.e. multi-tool, hex wrenches, mini pump, spare innertube, patches, valve adapter, spare chain link, etc. Like you, I am reluctant to store my tools in my seat bag due to possible theft. If there were a seat bag that could double as a shoulder bag, ie. clip-on-clip-off that would be an idea. No idea if there is such a thing.

CobraSnakeNecktie, great idea.thumbsup.gif I would never have thought of that. I was hoping more of a bumbag or other type bag solution though. In any case, when I have finished this I will test your idea.

Later today I will be heading out for a short ride of no more than 50kms, however, this time I know I will be buying something, my route has been planned so I can pick a few things for my wife. In this case the courier bag works, but this is only 1 in 10 times that I need it, which brings me back to bumbags and drawstring cloth backpackspost-19515-0-48279500-1392436326_thumb.g, which I could fold up in the bumbag and only take out when needed. Ideally I need something I can carry, so whether it fits on me or the bike, it needs to handle like a bag.

I think I am starting to answer my own question now, I just do not know whether the thing that would work for me is out there or on sale in Thailand.

Thanks to both of your for your helpful suggestions.

Edited by GarryP

Very interesting topic, thanks for all the inputs. For the OP I also second the advice about Schwalbe marathon tires. As an ex courier and a daily commuter these tires are hands down then best I've ever owned. As for carrying gear around, why not look into a back rack, one that mounts to the frame over the rear wheel, and in the least some bungie cords to hold down your shoulder bag.

Happy trails and safe riding

Edit: I'd forgotten to add this, you can always get a frame mounted basket for the front too!

Edited by pineconehead

Let me add one other thing re the Schwalbe Marathon tires. Unfortunately, as far as I can tell they're not available here in Thailand. (Please correct me if I'm wrong here) I order mine from Chain Reaction Cycles and Ebay.

Now a question. Why would you be packing spanners especially for short rides? I assume you have quick release axles on both front and rear wheels. Every thing else on my bike is attached with an Allen Key (hex wrench) which is contained in the multi tool.

Tire pump: I would assume you are not carrying a floor pump with you so why not mount the tire pump on the bike frame? I can assure you no one will try to steal it.

Hint: If you are using foldable tires you really don't need anything to remove them although I do carry a set of plastic levers just in case.

I am not packing spanners. I am not sure where that came from??? Like you say, my wheels are quick release. I mainly use hex wrenches (normally I refer to them as allen keys) but with non-Brits posting used the international term. My pump is a mini. My tires are not foldable. In fact they have a reputation of being extremely difficult to remove "Hutchinson Urban Tour". I have, however, conquered them and do not have any worries.

Yesterday I saw some Gatorskins at Bike Station but nothing in my size 700x32. They were bloody expensive but then bike tire imports tend to be due to import duty to protect the local rubber industry.

Once again thanks for the input. Today I will pop by the Bike Party at Paradise Mall to see if they have anything interesting, but as it is not so well advertised I do not haver my hopes up.

Edited by GarryP

Gary

Sorry about the spanner thing. I must have misread a post. In any event from my experience sourcing 700x32 tires here in LOS can be difficult as most all ride with 26" wheels. A French friend of mine brings new 700x32 tires with him from France when we head out. Good luck with your riding.

Mike

Unless I'm on a multi-day tour, this is what I put in a very small bag that goes under the saddle (the kind available in every bike shop in Thailand):

one spare tube

tire irons

Park glueless patch kit

tire boot (strips of Tyvek work better than anything else I've found)

4 ibuprofen

copy of my passport with emergency info

100 baht in case the above don't solve the problem I may encounter

I have a mini pump mounted on my frame.

If I plan on stopping someplace where I can't see my bike, I stuff a very small cable lock in the bag. If I need to carry something I use a musette bag, as described by the OP -- "a small cloth bag with a pair of string straps (like a back pack)"

In over 75,000 kms of riding in Thailand, I've used everything except the 100 baht.

• Like 1

I prefer the term lumbar pack over bumbag and use it primarily to carry camera, phone and money. Try looking in a camping or outdoor shop. I like the low center of gravity provided by a lumbar pack.

I once used this same lumbar pack for a 12 mile day hike in the Grand Canyon, down to Lookout Point and back. I don’t like anything on my back or shoulders but I don’t like additional weight on the bike, either. My average MTB ride these days is a little over 50km on dirt so I sometimes need to carry the bike short distances over obsticles.

Yesterday I saw some Gatorskins at Bike Station but nothing in my size 700x32. They were bloody expensive but then bike tire imports tend to be due to import duty to protect the local rubber industry.

Thanks for the input. Please post back if you find a lockable solution that stays with the bike. I'm not keen on carrying a tool kit around if there's another way.

As far as fanny packs, I have about half a dozen of them in all different sizes that could easily hold a tool kit with spare tube and shortened frame pump. Most of the soft luggage places have quite a selection, including Sukhumvit around Nana, Chinatown, MBK and Chatuchuk. I've taken a lot of guff about sporting a fanny pack in public, but I'm too old to care.

On an aside (okay, an outright hijack), does anyone else have problems with Thai made tires? I have several vehicles, most of the 2 wheeled. Every tire that's marked "Made in Thailand" starts dry rotting after a few months- even stored in the shade. The ones from China seem to hold up much better (go figure that one). I have none manufactured in any other country.

I'd have figured Thailand would make excellent rubber products, but it sure doesn't seem that way. Or am I just having bad luck?