NYTimes tidbit

jellydog

And why does that bother you?

Because the artsy types tend to be living in their own world and many are flat-out nuts.

There is a town about 75 miles S. of me called Mount Shasta. It is at the base of Mount Shasta which is about 14,000 feet (4300 meters) tall. It is in the same mountain range (The Cascade Mountains) as Mount St. Helens which you may recall blew it's stack sometime back. These are all active but dormant volcanoes.

The artsy nuts have taken over that town and it has become a tourist stop of shoppers of such things.

Not long ago the mountain had a small earthquake from it's molten core, and the mayor said that the mountain was saying it was unhappy that people were polluting the planet.

Now that's certifiably insane.

from.jpg

• Like 1

Because the artsy types tend to be living in their own world and many are flat-out nuts.

There is a town about 75 miles S. of me called Mount Shasta. It is at the base of Mount Shasta which is about 14,000 feet (4300 meters) tall. It is in the same mountain range (The Cascade Mountains) as Mount St. Helens which you may recall blew it's stack sometime back. These are all active but dormant volcanoes.

The artsy nuts have taken over that town and it has become a tourist stop of shoppers of such things.

Not long ago the mountain had a small earthquake from it's molten core, and the mayor said that the mountain was saying it was unhappy that people were polluting the planet.

from.jpg

what is certifiably insane? that people say stupid things or that people of similar interests congregate together?

• Like 1

from.jpg

what is certifiably insane? that people say stupid things or that people of similar interests congregate together?

Because when you get enough of them concentrated, they begin to make stupid rules that everyone must follow. I know of another such town with an asinine sign ordinance and building front ordinance that are designed to make the town look the way a few who have the power look the way they want it to look.

It happens to be where the movie "The Great Northfield Minnesota Raid" was filmed. It was about the shoot-out and downfall of the Jesse James - Cole Younger gang.

Here are pictures of it. The long time owners have lost the freedom to do what they wish with their property.

Now, I know there are housing developments that you buy into that have such rules, but you know that when you buy. But to be a long time normal resident and have these people move in, in great enough numbers to take over your town and begin to do that to you is distressing.

from.jpg

Because when you get enough of them concentrated, they begin to make stupid rules that everyone must follow. I know of another such town with an asinine sign ordinance and building front ordinance that are designed to make the town look the way a few who have the power look the way they want it to look.

It happens to be where the movie "The Great Northfield Minnesota Raid" was filmed. It was about the shoot-out and downfall of the Jesse James - Cole Younger gang.

Here are pictures of it. The long time owners have lost the freedom to do what they wish with their property.

Now, I know there are housing developments that you buy into that have such rules, but you know that when you buy. But to be a long time normal resident and have these people move in, in great enough numbers to take over your town and begin to do that to you is distressing.

And that's going to happen in Chiang Mai is it?

rolleyes.gif

ahh the tyrany of the majority

Majorities have for ever tried to assert their will on others throughout history, there have being, ethnic. religious, political, and economic majorities, and every country has legal mechanisms to deal with them, but of all of the majorities, that I can think of ,,non sounds as benign as a majority that appreciates art.

But I dont want to be unfair,I think I understand some of your concerns, . I think You are worried about gentrification, where simple folk will get squeezed out as it has happened in some communities in the US.

Gentrification is dual edge sword,while it does displace some of the original inhabitants, it does enrich others through rising property values.

ahh the tyrany of the majority

Majorities have for ever tried to assert their will on others throughout history, there have being, ethnic. religious, political, and economic majorities, and every country has legal mechanisms to deal with them, but of all of the majorities, that I can think of ,,non sounds as benign as a majority that appreciates art.

But I dont want to be unfair,I think I understand some of your concerns, . I think You are worried about gentrification, where simple folk will get squeezed out as it has happened in some communities in the US.

Gentrification is dual edge sword,while it does displace some of the original inhabitants, it does enrich others through rising property values.

So life is all about money and it's all OK because property values rise (or crash because some of these groups are slobs.)

In the meantime you are surrounded by people who have a strange religion. Oh, they don't call it a religion but it is. They worship Mother Earth among other things.

So if the mayor says that an earthquake was caused by the mountain itself because it was unhappy that people are polluting the planet and you don't believe that, you are the nut in their eyes? You are the outcast?

Bullocks to that.

I see no problem with it. many cities in the world have art communities that do not dictate the whole city lifestyle. Here in Chiang Mai they will probably improver the life style of the artsy fartsy community with out any affect on the rest of the city. I live in the East part of the city and they will have no affect on my life style nor will I on there's.

the complaint if it was valid would apply more to a community such ass Pai.

I wonder what town it was that turned there major street into dirt and left it that way for a movie.

darn Artsy fartsy people contaminating as with their appreciation of beauty and creativity, what's the world coming to?

witches and warlocks all of them I tell you , with their fancy mother earth religions.

What's wrong with the magic guy in the sky, he made wine out of water, and send Hurricanes to New Orleans to punish the gays.

where their god only hates pollution.

Baaa Humbag!!!

Bullocks to that.cheesy.gif cheesy.gif

Edited by sirineou

And that would not be like the asinine ex-pats that dominate the Caucasian presence in the city in exactly which way???

By the way, the Nimmen area has become a regional magnet for young creative types, regional in the sense of Southeast Asia. It is currenty, and has been for several years, the hippest neighborhood in the region. The NYT article simply recognizes this, a bit belatedly if anything. And even this old curmudgeon enjoys an annual guided tour of the neighborhood, usually guided by my son who seems to know everyone there.

• Like 1

Nimmanhaemin, the new Soho. biggrin.png Nothing wrong with a cultural touch to the city.

Why not start taking an interest in the traditional culture of the original inhabitants who have been here for the past 700 years?

Yep, knew that was coming. 22 years working here, 40+ coming to Thailand and I have taken plenty of interest during that period in traditional culture. There is room for other things you know.

Tidbit, indeed! Yes, it is!

It is to be expected. Just a shallow article from the travel section of a newspaper, albeit a good one. No, it doesn't reflect the community as a whole. Seems to be written basically for people who want the "exotic excitement" of Thailand but who are still worried about malaria and the usual travelers' malady.

from.jpg

And that's going to happen in Chiang Mai is it?

rolleyes.gif

Doi Suthep is going to erupt?w00t.gif

• Like 2

Isn't funny how some people can find something negative to say with anything that could happen in Thailand?

I think there is a contrarian element in this forum that will take the opposite position to any issue. If there is an article that there are art shops in an area they will say not good! too many art shops will change the area for the worst.

If there is an article that says no art shops in a particular area, the same people will jump in there, saying how Thai people don't appreciate art, and art will be lost on them anyway.

I wonder what it is that make some people so negative?

• Like 2

Isn't funny how some people can find something negative to say with anything that could happen in Thailand?

^^ This.

Most new developments are incredibly good news, and increase the overall quality of life / interest of Chiang Mai. But leave it to the vinegar brigade and you would never know it. Until... of course.. a particular new feature that was initially scorned, then closes or disappears. Then you get another round of how it's all going to the dogs. rolleyes.gif

Nimmanhaemin, the new Soho. biggrin.png Nothing wrong with a cultural touch to the city.

Why not start taking an interest in the traditional culture of the original inhabitants who have been here for the past 700 years?

The oldest families in town mostly trace back to the late 18th century when Chiang Mai was resettled by Prince Kawila after kicking out the Burmese.

I remember it well. ;)

Edited by WinnieTheKhwai

But aren't most of these shops, if not all, owned and run by Thais and probably a number of them by Lanna folks.

I think there is a contrarian element in this forum that will take the opposite position to any issue. If there is an article that there are art shops in an area they will say not good! too many art shops will change the area for the worst.

If there is an article that says no art shops in a particular area, the same people will jump in there, saying how Thai people don't appreciate art, and art will be lost on them anyway.

I wonder what it is that make some people so negative?

LOTS OF TIME ON THEIR HANDS.

There are a number of quotes centered around 'idle hands'

The oldest families in town mostly trace back to the late 18th century when Chiang Mai was resettled by Prince Kawila after kicking out the Burmese.

I remember it well. wink.png

You're quite right, Chiang Mai was resettled after being deserted for a time during the 18th century.

In point of fact, it was between 1775 and 1797, as recorded in the Chiang Mai Chronicle [Wyatt/Wichienkeo trans. Silkworm Books, 1995].

But you are mistaken if you think that the aristocratic families, the Chaos of Chiang Mai don't predate the rebirth of the city at the turn of the 18th century.

There is a long history of Chiang Mai dynastys beginning with the one founded by King Mengrai in 1296 and ending with the Trakun Chao Jet Ton.

The ruling families of Lampang, Chiang Mai, Lamphun, and Prae, as well as some collateral branches all originate from the Lampang rebel/freedom fighter Thip Chang, who in 1732 initiated armed resistance against the Burmese that ultimately drove them out of Lanna Thai.

He became the first king and founder of the last dynasty that came to be known as the Trakun Chao Jet Ton - the dynasty of the seven lords - who ruled all of Lanna Thai as well as parts of what is now the Burmese Shan States and Laos.

That - generally speaking - benevolent rule continued until the late 19th century when Lanna Thai lost its sovereignty to the central government in Bangkok.

Your intelligent and often witty comments on contemporary life in Chiang Mai are always worth reading.

I'm sure we can agree that the traditional life and culture of the Kohn Muang - whose guests we are - is of equal importance.

• Like 2