Facebook goes beyond 'male' and 'female' with new gender options

Scott

Removed another off-topic post. This topic is about gender identity, not about sexual orientation, and the two are not the same.

And a normal person would know and understand this?

An EDUCATED person of any gender or orientation would. It's really basic.

Haha, educated in what and where. I don't remember that lesson in college or any grad school.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Removed another off-topic post. This topic is about gender identity, not about sexual orientation, and the two are not the same.

And a normal person would know and understand this?

An EDUCATED person of any gender or orientation would. It's really basic.

Haha, educated in what and where. I don't remember that lesson in college or any grad school.

Let's stay away from a slagging match over the terms. Most people who have an interest in the area would probably know the difference. I don't know that it's a matter of education.

A few posts, by the way, have been removed for various reasons.

Currently only available to users in the USA ? What about all those poor, confused people in the rest of the world ? When will I finally be able to express my Alien (Alpha-Centauri/Borg/Jedi/Cyborg/Unicorn) heritage ? Surely my particular gender is amongst the 58 varieties now offered to users ?

Better to start where most of the confused and ignorant livexunsure.png.pagespeed.ic.ttYYb5Lbfu.webp

• Like 2

Currently only available to users in the USA ? What about all those poor, confused people in the rest of the world ? When will I finally be able to express my Alien (Alpha-Centauri/Borg/Jedi/Cyborg/Unicorn) heritage ? Surely my particular gender is amongst the 58 varieties now offered to users ?

Better to start where most of the confused and ignorant livexunsure.png.pagespeed.ic.ttYYb5Lbfu.webp

Confusion and ignorance are everywhere and are not exclusive to the US. It has even been known to happen in places like Europe, Australia, Canada and other remote places.whistling.gif

If I am the one you're calling troll, please simply let me know how best to join discussions if I can't post a response to a thread.

I apologize for my post that you considered off topic and commercial. I have no self interest in that post's referenced endeavor. I was trying to do nothing more than highlight what some might find an amusing alternate lifestyle film. Nothing else. Several of the film's actors and crew have "different" preferences and lifestyles and find the film's premise lighthearted in it's attempts to enlighten others of alternate lifestyles.

I try very hard to not be prejudiced to gender or sexual orientation, as I have two brothers in law who are kathoey, as well as two friends in the music business who have had what I believe they prefer to call "sex reassignment". I treat and refer to them as they wish.

Please forgive if I've offended anyone.

I am totally cool with people living life as they feel the need or want provided it does not cause harm to others, but all this need to recognized and need to piblically come out if the closet is ridiculous. The marriage benefits thing I get and agree with, all this other silliness is annoying and unnecessary. One chopping their penis off and inserting silicone fun bags does not need a face book button or special category, they need a shrink.

Facebook is also full of children and not an appropriate forum for this gender and sexual orientation stuff.

Edited by F430murci
  • Like 1

Transgender people exist. That's why.

I am aware and accept that some women are men, and some men are women. And in that statement I confirm that there are 2 genders.

I will not pander to those that insist that they are 'different' and have no gender, or are a third, fourth, twenty fifth gender. Where does it stop?

totster smile.png

I think adding A FEW more common gender identity options was good but the massive number of options they added kind of reads like a parody.

WHY ?????

Man - Woman

There are no other genders.

totster smile.png

You edited your post, so I shall recreate it..

True, so what do you call a man with tits?

Well, the answer to your question is actually in the question.. no ?

totster smile.png

• Like 1

Is "straight" even an acceptable term for heterosexuals?

Straight / heterosexual vs. Gay / homosexual is about sexual orientation and NOT gender identity. The change FB made was about GENDER identity.

But since you asked, both the words gay and straight are sometimes used in a derogatory way, but clearly GAY much more so. That is because straight people are the overwhelmingly dominant sexual orientation in the world and gay people will never be more than a small minority.

Edited by Jingthing