Patong Bay's brown water is safe, says Phuket expert

webfact

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

“The tests on January 23 showed that the quality of the water falls within the marine water quality standards of the Pollution Control Department (PCD)" ---- Considering there are not real standards this statement is about as useful as tits on a boar hog.

"The Regional Environmental Office 15 isn’t the only government agency testing the water in Patong Bay; the Phuket Marine Biological Center tests it every two months. However, the PMBC has not been transparent in releasing its test results." ---- considering the first part is this surprising.

Last time some German media company tested the water in Karon which showed that bathers were basically swimming in people's shit. Nice! I haven't been in the waters here for over 6 years and have no plans too. Last time I was at Nai Harn it stank like a sewage plant.

Underlying issue is that they'll cover up whatever they can so as to avert the need to take action, lose face and more importantly lose tourist dollars.

Amazing Thailand - one of the few holiday destinations where you can share the shit.

• Like 1

“The tests on January 23 showed that the quality of the water falls within the marine water quality standards of the Pollution Control Department (PCD)" ---- Considering there are not real standards this statement is about as useful as tits on a boar hog.

"The Regional Environmental Office 15 isn’t the only government agency testing the water in Patong Bay; the Phuket Marine Biological Center tests it every two months. However, the PMBC has not been transparent in releasing its test results." ---- considering the first part is this surprising.

Last time some German media company tested the water in Karon which showed that bathers were basically swimming in people's shit. Nice! I haven't been in the waters here for over 6 years and have no plans too. Last time I was at Nai Harn it stank like a sewage plant.

Underlying issue is that they'll cover up whatever they can so as to avert the need to take action, lose face and more importantly lose tourist dollars.

Amazing Thailand - one of the few holiday destinations where you can share the shit.

After six years you must be a tad ripe also! laugh.png

• Like 1

I didn't swim in Patong Bay 20 years ago and I wouldn't swim there tomorrow .... That goes the same for many more beaches in Thailand and throughout the world .... Sadly too many people couldn't give a rats about our environment no more ..... Respect The Ocean !! ( and the Land!! ) ...... wai2.gif

• Like 2

stevenl, on 15 Feb 2014 - 12:52, said:
MMarlow, on 15 Feb 2014 - 11:54, said:
grumpyoldman, on 15 Feb 2014 - 10:26, said:
chiang mai, on 15 Feb 2014 - 10:21, said:

So many marine biologists are TV members, I would never have guessed.

Don't need to be a marine biologist to tell the difference between sh*t and shinola.

Apparently you do.

Yes, it looks nasty, yes, it smells nasty, but that does not mean it is nasty.

Have to agree with MMarlow here, this is an excellent opportunity for some Thai/officials/Phuket/Thailand bashing, but who of the posters so far has some real knowledge of the subject except 'looks ans smells nasty so it must be shit'.

All I can say is that last time they tested the water, it was over 4 months before they released the results.... why? And here's any easy test... ask Suppakorn Meekaew, or for that matter, the gov, if we can see him swim in it for 30 minutes, jumping, diving and swimming, just like tourists do.

Don't need to be a marine biologist to tell the difference between sh*t and shinola.

Apparently you do.

Yes, it looks nasty, yes, it smells nasty, but that does not mean it is nasty.

Have to agree with MMarlow here, this is an excellent opportunity for some Thai/officials/Phuket/Thailand bashing, but who of the posters so far has some real knowledge of the subject except 'looks ans smells nasty so it must be shit'.

who cares if it is safe, shit or shinola. It's just not pleasent to swim in, therefore it's a bad thing.

Swimming in the sea is meant to be enjoyable you know, and safe brown smelly water isn't particularly enjoyable.

• Like 1

How much would a independent analyzing of the seawater costs aboard and is there any organization in Phuket who would be willing to pay the costs as well as publish the results?

Diving and hotel industries might not as the results could be bad and they would lose customers?

Who cares how much crap is in the water, how many people are slaughtered by traffic, what the level of corruption is that is ruining the environment or any other complaint, whine, bitch or moan,Thailand has whores and as long as prostitutes are on offer- for cheap- cheap- cheap -Phuket and the entire nation can do anything it wants and will still welcome zillions of visitors.

Nothing will change, ever.

Thailand sells sex, and sex sells Thailand.

Edited by EBlair48

I just got off the boat yesterday. I am naive, and believe everything I read and hear. If this high ranking official says it is safe, of course it is safe. The fact what the water is brown, and smells like poo poo means nothing. Do not believe your eyes and your nose. Believe the super wise and smart official. He knows. We do not. You are safe. He says you are safe, so you are safe. Do not be fearful. This is Thailand, and in Thailand they always look after the tourists.

• Like 1

The answer was in your own post. Plankton that photosynthesise are plants and they obtain nourishment or energy from photosynthesis. They don't "feed".

Phytoplankton uses photosynthesis, but then there are for example Bacterioplankton, which like bacteria. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bacterioplankton

Your point then is what? Photosynthesising plankton which is what is being reported here, by definition, don't "like bacteria". Well researched.

Well plankton, Shit or what ever, since 2007 I have always had a 30 min dip in the morning after my daily walk up the beach, all be it at the other end down past Loma park, never had a prob, only time is after a stormy night (or when some boat has dumped) you get lots off Garbage in the surf. Unless I hear of someone seriously ill from some '$hit' disease then I will carry on...

I use to enjoy holidaying in Phuket.

I would spend 2-3 months there each year.

Just around the bay at "Paradise Beach' snokelling around the beautiful coral.

I went back 2 years ago. EVERYTHING IS DEAD!

Now I go to Koh Chang.

Don't worry..."You not Thai, you not understand". There are no Loris', gibbons, or any other wildlife exploitation on Bangla. There are no illicit or sex show touts on Bangla. There are no scamming time share touts on beach road, and for sure the police want to "help" people. It's all true...Just ask any Thai "Official".

As a visiting tourist, whether or not the sh*tty colour and sh*tty smell is dangerous or not, is actually not the point. Tourists normally expect 'world-class' resorts to have beautiful, blue sea, clean and clear and no smell of sh*t!

You do not see travel brochures full of photos of sh*t-brown sea - it would be rather difficult to sell the hotel rooms if they did......

So...... rather than trying to reassure everyone that the sea and smell is all ok, the authorities should be buying maxi-strength toilet fresheners and filtering out the .. er ... plankton.

Funny you should mention this Simon.

I did just see a brochure ad for the new Amari Residences, with male / female romance type shot of them overlooking Patong Bay and guess what.............

Brown, nasty water.