Extending Non Imm O Visa

Can anyone assist me? Dr. PP? I recently applied to extend my initial 3 months non Imm O visa & got the usual come back in 40 days stamp. Then I had to register address in Rm 4o1. My problem is I have to leave Thailand next few days for up to 6 months. I gather the need to return in person by the 40 day date is inescapable so resigned to returning then. But I have confusing details about what the requirements are if u are out of the country when the 90 days are up & I have to re register. My wife will be in Thailand but its my passport detail they require. I wanted to get in before I left so I am "grandfathered" before July changes but one Immigration officer categorically says I must be in the country when I register every 90 days. Another suggested otherwise. Can someone clarify. Many thanks as will have a big bearing on what I do.

You do not register every 90 days if you are not here. If you depart prior to 90 days no problem. A new cycle of 90 days will start on your next entry and when you go to register that (or next/next/next if you keep leaving) they will see your new TM card and date of entry and count from there.

More important now is that you obtain a single re-entry permit for your upcoming travel and again (probably multi be best at same time you get extension). Your first re entry will have the 40 day stamp time so can't be used after you get year stamp.

Unless you are here for 90 days without an exit you can forget Rm401; until you are.

...My wife will be in Thailand but its my passport detail they require. ...

This point brings one question. What about the wife?

I am here on yearly non-imm B extension, wife follows my visa.

Myself never reports for 90 days, as I am never here so long.

Does the wife have to report independantly after 90 days?

Believe she is here on her own passport/visa (the basis for issue being you) so would expect she should be doing the 90 day report. Before everyone panics want to point out I assume you have a non-Thai wife and this would not be an issue for those whose wife is Thai. :o

Believe she is here on her own passport/visa (the basis for issue being you) so would expect she should be doing the 90 day report. Before everyone panics want to point out I assume you have a non-Thai wife and this would not be an issue for those whose wife is Thai. :o

Thanks Lopburi3. Guess I have to send her down to immigration next time 90 days full. Shoot, didn't do it for the lat 12 years, but better now then never.

You are right, she is not Thai, got a non-O following my non-RE

With July getting ever closer and the 'Granfather Rights' issue being thrown around in the forums, my question is: Can one apply for a one year extension to a non-O multiple before the initial 12 months validity expires, to secure the Grandfather Rights.

My non imm O M/E will not expire until 2005, but can I submit an application to extend prior to July 2004 to stay on the 'old' system? ie within the next few months?

You can apply for your extension anytime before the expiry date of your current non-imm visa. I am curently doing it now and I still have 3 months left on mine.

The bit I am still unsure about is the renewal date of the extension, ie I don't know if the extension will start at th expiry of my current visa, will run for 1 year from the date of issue or a combination of both.

Maybe lop or dr pp have more details?

The normal policy is to accept application any time after you have been in country for 60 days of your 90 day stay. You do not have to use the full year of entries and it can be the first entry.

The extension is always timed to the day prior to your entry. So if you entered on January 5, 2004 on your current 90 day stay, you apply for extension after March 5, 2005 and your extension will be until January 4, 2005.

Thankyou Lopburi for that most useful information. Can you tell us where this application for the extension can be made? Does it have to be in Bkk or at a local immigration office in the town (I will be in Udon Thani).

Thankyou Lopburi for that most useful information. Can you tell us where this application for the extension can be made? Does it have to be in Bkk or at a local immigration office in the town (I will be in Udon Thani).

Any full service Immigration office in Thailand is fine.

Dr or Lop,

A afurther question about extension/permission to stay. Once the permission to stay has been granted, what date does the 90 day reporting to immigration begin?

The stamp is backdated to the day before the last entry stamp (as pointed out earlier) but is this also the date that the reporting begins.

And if it does start at this date what happens (as is my case) when it took 3 months to get the final approval?

The 90 days is always counted from your last entry into Thailand or from your last report. It is completly independent of visas and extensions of stay. Look at your entry stamp for the 90 days or date stamped on your reporting form; not the extension of stay stamp. But if go to Singapore today and return tomorrow your next 90 day report will be 90 days from tomorrow (date of entry) regardless of what you current reporting form says. Date of entry is primary. If you don't leave Thailand then the date on reporting form is used.

OK, Lop

so from that the last report date would be th elast time that immigration saw my passport? yes?

Under my "permission to stay" stamp is a date stamp of 10/3/04, which presumably is the date they entered the permission stamp (which is valid until 26/9/04) so that would be a the start date for the reporting?

OK, Lop

so from that the last report date would be th elast time that immigration saw my passport? yes?

NO. :o

The 90 day report has absolutely nothing to do with your visa or extension of stay stamps. It is counted from the time you entered Thailand on your current TM.6 card. Once you report you receive a receipt form that provides the next reporting date if you do not exit Thailand. If you exit Thailand prior to that date you do not have to report until 90 days after your next arrival. If you leave every month or two you will never have to report.

The only thing that counts as a report is filling out the reporting form/getting receipt or filling out tm.6 and enter the country. Visits to immigration do not count.

OK Lop,

based on your information, I am on overstay and have been for since Christmas Day last year. In that time immigration have had my passport 5 times and looked at the TM card and have not said anything. All this has also been done through my lawyer.

Are you sure?

Yes. As I have tried to say the visa and the address reporting sections are interested in entirely different things. Although most people do get the word to go report address when they apply for the extension if you had a lawyer he should have been the one to tell you. Believe it is only a 2,000 baht fine being late.

I think it is usually counter productive to use a service/lawyer unless you have very complex issues. But that is just my take from the very limited response of officials I have observed.

OK, Lop

Under my "permission to stay" stamp is a date stamp of 10/3/04, which presumably is the date they entered the permission stamp (which is valid until 26/9/04) so that would be a the start date for the reporting?

You'd best have a good chat to that lawyer Oz. It seems to me that you are not in overstay, but you haven't reported your address to Immigration.

It seems to me that you are not in overstay
Whoops. Missed that term. :o

No, you are not on "overstay" if you have a visa extension but you are late reporting your address if you have been incountry more than 90 days (without exit) and don't have an address reporting receipt in your passport.

OK, I will check this allout tomorrow.

One more twist to the episode, during the perimission to stay application, I got my Thai driving license which involved reporting to immigration my current address. Now because I didn't have my permission stamp, then no other record was entered in my passport.

Do you think this may count for something?

Well believe that would be stretching it a bit far as you were really using immigration to report your address to another department. Just keep a smile and let them know how much you appreciate your lawyer not telling you about this requirement.

OK, Went to immigration and got it all sorted out. The 90 days reporting starts from the date my permission to stay stamp started which was last thursday and not from when my last entry into Thailand.

This is just my experience and may not necessarily br the norm...... :o

OK, Went to immigration and got it all sorted out. The 90 days reporting starts from the date my permission to stay stamp started which was last thursday and not from when my last entry into Thailand.

This is just my experience and may not necessarily br the norm

Very interesting. Was this in Bangkok? I know this was not the policy in Room 401 on my first report but perhaps they work together now. Have noted a great improvement in this office from when it first opened.

But then again it may just be your good looks. :o

This is just my experience and may not necessarily br the norm

Very interesting. Was this in Bangkok? I know this was not the policy in Room 401 on my first report but perhaps they work together now. Have noted a great improvement in this office from when it first opened.

But then again it may just be your good looks. :o

Nahhh Lop....it is his Aussie charm

thank you both for the compliments.

In answer to Lop's question, no it was in Pattaya. Very helpful staff and I have found that as usual with things here if you go looking like you belong, ie well dressed, and are nice and friendly and ask for help they are very obliging.

Somehow I think many people bring on the problems themselves with their attitude when they go to the offices. But again, just my humble opinon

thank you both for the compliments.

In answer to Lop's question, no it was in Pattaya. Very helpful staff and I have found that as usual with things here if you go looking like you belong, ie well dressed, and are nice and friendly and ask for help they are very obliging.

Somehow I think many people bring on the problems themselves with their attitude when they go to the offices. But again, just my humble opinon

The scruff's in singlets and dirty shorts just don't stand a chance. And aside being dirty they present 'emselves half pissed and aggressive. Recipe's for disaster with most bureaucrasies. :o