Good Indian in Pattaya

BigDamo

Sounds more like you're seeking British style to me.

There are places serving dishes in Balti containers, but I don't think there is any place doing a British style balti.

Definitely no Balti houses.

Vindaloo I have had in Pattaya at multiple places has always been awful, so I stopped even trying.

It's hard to know what your tastes are. I think you probably can find a Vindaloo to your liking if you try hard. Balti, I think you are totally out of luck.

You might try ZAIKA on 2nd road and try to describe to them what you are looking for in a Vindaloo (there really are different styles, beyond spice levels).

http://www.pattaya24seven.com/index.php/days-out/2-uncategorised/246-zaika-indian-restaurant

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

I know not everybody will agree with me, but we quite like Alibaba. It's not cheap, but we've always found the food to be good.

Have they a new chef? tried them a couple of years ago ,and to say they were crap was to insult crap.

I know not everybody will agree with me, but we quite like Alibaba. It's not cheap, but we've always found the food to be good.

Have they a new chef? tried them a couple of years ago ,and to say they were crap was to insult crap.

Could have been a bad chef. There's a very good restaurant not far from us that we visit quite often. After a few visits with some very dodgy food, we now ask about the chef before ordering. Luckily, my wife knows the waiter very well. If it's a new chef, we stick to very simple foods.

I've been to Alibaba several times, with many different friends. We all found it to be good. And yes, I've eaten Indian food in various countries all over the world. Recently, had a very good experience at a restaurant in Warsaw of all places! 5555 It was fantastic. 4 weeks of pork knuckles was getting old....needed a change of pace.

Yeah, that's why it's always full of Indians eating there because they know nothing about their own cuisine. Maybe it's crap British Indian curry you want, which they don't have as it's an INDIAN restaurant.

My personal experience with Ali Baba was many years ago. I found the decor disturbingly cheesy and the food to be a fat laden GHEE festival. Just based on that, I know that place is not my style. I wouldn't put much credence in presence of Indians. Indians can be seen at all kinds of mediocre Indian places in town, mostly at buffets. Serviceable acceptable food isn't the same thing as good food.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Like 1

Yeah, that's why it's always full of Indians eating there because they know nothing about their own cuisine. Maybe it's crap British Indian curry you want, which they don't have as it's an INDIAN restaurant.

I should specify...these are local Indian families not the sex-tourist crowd.

I should specify...these are local Indian families not the sex-tourist crowd.

That's funny to me because in my experience local Thai Indians don't have such great taste. They used to flock to Kohinoor especially on weekends. Nobody could describe the food there as being anything resembling exceptional Indian food. I would be more impressed by a place chosen outside a tour by sophisticated people from Delhi or Mumbai. One place like that might be SARAS ... a chain out of Bangkok, but it is veggie only.

Some places are popular with locals for SOCIAL reasons not necessarily connected to having the best food.

http://saras.co.th/

Edited by Jingthing

It is a big mystery why the Indian food in pattaya so awfull!!

I like authentic indian which i got used to from my time in India and Nepal. The only Indian restaurant that i have found to be good is one beach road called Punjab I think that is the name. It is next to Subway/7-11 just north of Mikes Shopping mall. Having said that i don't eat there often because it is CRAZY over priced. A chicken curry costs 380 baht and it is not large size portion. Plan naan are 30. This same curry in India or Nepal would cost 50 baht at most. I highly recommend the Marsala they have there. The restaurant decor itself inside is not particularly nice considering the prices they are charging.

I have tried so many Indian restaurants around pattaya and not one comes in a close second, it amazes how bad most are. So if you have money to burn and really want passable Indian food you could try this place.

Edited by marinediscoking

It's kinda like Chinese food to me. The best Chinese food I've had has not been in China. The best Indian food I've had wasn't in India. Everybody has their own preferences, but it was too heavy and way to spicy in India. Maybe it's that ghee JT was referring to?

Modern Indian food definitely uses either less or NO ghee. Including in India. In that sense, I prefer the modern style. Ghee is to Indian food like LARD is to Mexican food. It's authentic but overkill in the age of too much food and obesity.

That said, I know you can great Indian flavor without ghee.

Edited by Jingthing

NEWS FLASH!

Very promising new restaurant being built right now in South Pattaya, 2nd road, not far north of Pattaya Tai, east side.

It's a chain out of BANGKOK from a place that appears to have generally very good customer comments on the web.

I would be quite surprised if this place doesn't turn out to be at least above average for Pattaya, and it may just be the HOLY GRAIL decent (and not killer expensive) Indian restaurant so many have anticipated.

The place is called --

SANJHA CHULA

You can view their Bangkok website and MENU here. I predict it will be the SAME menu in Pattaya based on the very sophisticated SIGNAGE on the new place.

http://www.sanjhachulhabkk.com/

Be clear it isn't nearly open yet and I don't have a date for that ... but I will be watching closely.

Edited by Jingthing

Modern Indian food definitely uses either less or NO ghee. Including in India. In that sense, I prefer the modern style. Ghee is to Indian food like LARD is to Mexican food. It's authentic but overkill in the age of too much food and obesity.

I know ghee is still widely used in India. Lard in Mexico, and butter in most of the western world. Unfortunately.

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2013-04-13/diet/38492083_1_vegetable-ghee-pure-ghee-trans-fats

I know ghee is still widely used in India. Lard in Mexico, and butter in most of the western world. Unfortunately.

http://articles.timesofindia.indiatimes.com/2013-04-13/diet/38492083_1_vegetable-ghee-pure-ghee-trans-fats

Nothing wrong with butter mate!

Well as i was born and bred in Britain ,yes i like British style (bangladeshi) cuisine its what i am used to ,after saying that one of the worst currys i have ever had was in Dhaka, and as Jingthing said Alibaba s curry was just ghee and curry sauce with very little meat .

• Like 1

Yes but the modern trend is less so. Some of the best Indian food I've ever had was at Indian buffets in the USA filled with Indian computer industry people. They were also raving about the food, sometimes saying they missed it while back in India. That style of more modern food I couldn't taste ANY ghee. Yes they use oil instead but overall fresher, cleaner flavors and still of course PLENTY SPICY.

Also a comment complaint of non-Indians about Indian food is that it is TOO HEAVY and when they eat it they don't feel like eating again for a week. It doesn't NEED to be that way.

How much better was this food than at an Indian tourist buffet in Pattaya?

On 1 to 10, the Pattaya tourist buffets about 2, the better USA places for Indian professionals 9 or 10.

So yes I am spoiled!

So yes if I ever have to repatriate, that's something I can look forward to, really good, not overpriced Indian food.

Edited by Jingthing

I'm a Brit and for relatively inexpensive British-style Indian food in Pattaya, to my mind you can't beat Tikka Center Restaurant on Soi Buakhao. It's a small, 'no atmosphere' cafe-style place at the junction with Soi Honey Inn.

Right now I have their takeaway menu in front of me which I got there a few months ago. No Baltis I'm afraid, but otherwise many of the other dishes we'd expect in a Brit Indian.

Jingthing might also want to note that they say they also do Arabic and Pakistani food - though I have to say the menu I have looks pretty solidly what I'd call 'Indian'.

The place is called --

SANJHA CHULA

You can view their Bangkok website and MENU here. I predict it will be the SAME menu in Pattaya based on the very sophisticated SIGNAGE on the new place.

That menu seems very expensive to me.

It would nearly be cheaper to fly to Penang for a decent curry.

The place is called --

SANJHA CHULA

That menu seems very expensive to me.

It would nearly be cheaper to fly to Penang for a decent curry.

To me it seems about middle range to the Pattaya market, which yes, is an expensive market for Indian food.

Their menu seems nicely balanced with different regions and an impressive variety of tandoori items.

Given their Bangkok pedigree which does impress me, I'll at least give them a try.

As mentioned before, Indian Rasoi (and nearby Indian Touch) offer what most people will probably find as at least acceptable for a somewhat lower price point.

To me better quality is worth some more money, that is, IF it is better quality.

• 2 weeks later...

NEWS FLASH!

Very promising new restaurant being built right now in South Pattaya, 2nd road, not far north of Pattaya Tai, east side.

It's a chain out of BANGKOK from a place that appears to have generally very good customer comments on the web.

I would be quite surprised if this place doesn't turn out to be at least above average for Pattaya, and it may just be the HOLY GRAIL decent (and not killer expensive) Indian restaurant so many have anticipated.

The place is called --

SANJHA CHULA

http://www.sanjhachulhabkk.com/

Be clear it isn't nearly open yet and I don't have a date for that ... but I will be watching closely.

OK, this place has now opened.

It is quite a fancy place and still smells of the new construction.

As it is so new, you might shock the people there that anyone is trying it yet.

But I did.

Looking at the menu, I decided to not order a large meal and rather order either a dosa or a thali.

To dip my toe in as it were ...

The thalis are 250 plus (veg or non-veg), and the dosas are 150ish veg and 250ish with meat. Unusual to see meat dosas.

Looking over the description of the thalis, I didn't like the contents so decided on a meat dosa as I've never had such a thing.

Chose the fish dosa.

Request for spicy was fulfilled but the knee jerk response to anything involving the word spicy was a promise it wouldn't be spicy, so that took some work to turn that around.

The dosa that arrived was SOAKED IN GHEE. More so than any dosa I've ever sampled in my life, and I've had a lot of dosas in my life.

The fish masala was minimalist, the tiny pieces of fish were batter fried, and the flavor profile was pleasing.

Only one chutney was supplied, a coconut one. This surprised me. I think standard is two chutneys with the second one being chile red. I asked for it and was told they didn't do. The sambar (soup) seemed somewhat nontraditional but I did enjoy it.

To eat a standard Indian feast meal, some curries, an appetizer, raita, breads, rice, a tandoor item it seems to me would cost over 700 baht per person for two. Does that seem too high for Thailand? To me it does.

The food had better be super good anyway to justify it.

My dosa was OK. One time. I would never order again. WAYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYY Too much ghee (it was DRIPPING). What's with the one chutney? Yes I could say light on the ghee, but why bother when there are other local restaurants where I don't have to?

To be fair, I think they probably DO have a good Indian cook, so if you don't mind the price or the ghee party, you might love it! Do make it clear you want spice taste though or chances are they will dumb it down by default (unless you're Indian of course); you have been warned.

While I was there, the only other customers were a Russian family. I figured they would walk out once they looked at the menu (it's not posted outside) but they stayed. I reckon the Russian market is going to be very important to this place.

Icing on the cake -- TAX is added. rolleyes.gif

Edited by Jingthing

To eat a standard Indian feast meal, some curries, an appetizer, raita, breads, rice, a tandoor item it seems to me would cost over 700 baht per person for two. Does that seem too high for Thailand?

I've still never seen a single Indian place in Pattaya that isn't overpriced and poor value. That price seems even more excessive than most.

Icing on the cake -- TAX is added.

Even worse then.