Good Indian in Pattaya

BigDamo

To eat a standard Indian feast meal, some curries, an appetizer, raita, breads, rice, a tandoor item it seems to me would cost over 700 baht per person for two. Does that seem too high for Thailand?

I've still never seen a single Indian place in Pattaya that isn't overpriced and poor value. That price seems even more excessive than most.

Icing on the cake -- TAX is added.

Even worse then.

To test the theory.

This is rather a feast for two but here goes:

Mix Veg Pakora 259 appetizer
Tandoor Chicken 299 tandoor item
Dal Tadka 149 dal
Lamb Rogan Josh 299 one meat curry
2 Plan Naan 118 two breads
Jeera Rice 129 rice
Mix Veg Raita 69 raita
1322 plus 93 tax
1415 total WITHOUT DRINKS
Edited by Jingthing

This is rather a feast for two but here goes:

Mix Veg Pakora 259 appetizer

Tandoor Chicken 299 tandoor item

Dal Tadka 149 dal

Lamb Rogan Josh 299 one meat curry

2 Plan Naan 118 two breads

Jeera Rice 129 rice

Mix Veg Raita 69 raita

1322 plus 93 tax

1415 total WITHOUT DRINKS

Most of those prices seem to be about double what they should be to me. Unless of course they are for really huge quantities. Maybe it's all just designed for trendy Thai yuppies?

I find the price of the naan is often a good indicator as they cost nothing to make, being just white flour, salt and yeast plus water/yoghurt/oil according to the recipe used. The same goes for chapatis and poppadums, only with them the ingredients are even cheaper.

I'm certainly looking forward to my next trip back to the UK as I know I will be able to get plenty of good authentic Indian (/Pakistani) food there for much less than it costs here. If it wasnt such a drag and expense getting Indian visas these days I would probably go there for a week quite often too, just for the food.

The prices are high. I'll stick to the buffets. I think a place like that could fill tables with a fancy buffet ... sizzling tandoori chicken and nan brought to tables at 350 baht. Wouldn't that make more money with volume?

Sent from my Lenovo S820_ROW using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

certainly not central but a great place is the Tandoori Garden at the Fisherman's Rest on the far side of Lake Mabprachan. Great food!

Then there is a small Indian guy on Soi Siam. Hole in the wall kinda place, but great food.

Ali Baba is good but pricey. The decor, well....the 70s had their place in history, right? :D

On the discussion on Ghee, Butter and Lard. that stuff kills you but you cannot live without it either. BTW, newest research actually shows that the entire fat hysteria was totally out of proportion and you can endulge in it. I for one skipped the fat hysteria and focused on taste and this again can only be produced with ingredients such as butter, ghee or lard.

But all this is totally off topic and I should send me a warning!

I want to stay fairly central! Has anyone tried Zaika on second road? Opposite the Royal Garden Plaza!!

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Weirdly, I still haven't tried it.

The menu looks good.

The aggressive touts have put me off.

Also the prices, it's at a similar level to the new place I've mentioned.

Edited by Jingthing