classy gift for a Thai urban lady

manarak

You can't go wrong with gold as a lot of Thai ladies like to stock up with gold in the event their relationship ends and they can trade it in for cash. Told my Thai girlfriend I would not buy her gold for that reason and if we split she will not have money from gold that I have bought her. Vases, flowers and chocolates are great but they do not have the trade in value of gold.

This always does the trick Buy some Flowers A nice arrangement from a local florist will do the trick And it will be very well recieved

And chances are she never gets them so she will be very happy

Don't bring white carnations, i got them for the wife years ago and learned my lesson. They are for funerals and bring bad luck for the living.

I think flowers, special chocolates, or something from your home country that she can't get here all good ideas. My wife just loves flowers as a gift even if she has a garden full. If she has her own house, and doesn't have one yet, a large vase which she can fill will water, Gold Fish, and flowers, is nice. The fish will eat the mosquitos on top, keeping the count down, but yet I don't know how the fish survive so long without adding oxygen. ,

I think you will get some good ideas what to buy her so I thought I would be a bit different and tell you what NOT to buy her, where perhaps a Western Woman would love to get. Don't buy her Make-up or Perfume! Unless for a Thai she is the odd man out (or I should say woman) and wears this sort of stuff. Or expensive jewelry, as she will never wear that in public.

But even if she wear perfume and make-up, perfume to a Woman is very personal. As is her make-up. They go through hours or days finding the exact ones they like and won't wear any other. That is if she will wear any at all. Just take a look around the next time you are out and count the number of Thai Women under 30 who wear make-up. Or see if you can smell their perfume, if you are close by. When I was first dating my wife I bought a real nice make-up kit, with all the fixings, and a nice expensive perfume. To my knowledge and 6 years later she hasn't worn either of them even one time. Locked away in some dresser drawer someplace.

Also, and if this woman is very special to you, and you buy her expenses jewelry or watch, she will never wear it, except the day she tries it on. My wife doesn't like anything to fancy or expensive as she is more afraid of losing it then wanting to wear it. She would much sooner get as couple of Pizza's or go out to a Good Thai (Mid Priced) Thai Restaurant, then something expensive or what she will never wear or use. . , .

A number of posters seem to have missed the salient fact that this is the wife of a friend, not a romantic interest of the OPs.

I would vote for fruit or chocolates. A personal gift solely for her (as opposed to a gift to the couple) might not be appropriate.

• Like 1

A number of posters seem to have missed the salient fact that this is the wife of a friend, not a romantic interest of the OPs.

I would vote for fruit or chocolates. A personal gift solely for her (as opposed to a gift to the couple) might not be appropriate.

Might?

I would suggest a nice bottle of perfume.

Some companies sell a 5 or 6 small perfume bottles, with different essence, in one packet.

Or a set of, eye colouring, chick colouring variety, about 10 different colours, including the brushes, in one set.

Just my suggestion.

never buy a woman you dont know perfume. its presumptuous, overly personal, and there is a 90 percent chance you will get it wrong.

same with makeup, only she knows which shades she favours.

Edited by HooHaa

yes, well, let the children have fun :-)

I have bought my present (a box with wine and some delicatessen), so my question is solved.

A bottle of lao khao.

But sneakily decanted into a used bottle of Johhny Walker Gold Reserve (+box in pristine condition). In fact buy a bottle yourself and do the old contents swap and elegantly reseal. Chances is being a good Thai girl she won't drink it herself but will pass it on as a present to a male friend and then all sorts of hilarity will ensue ....boiiinggg

Regency or at a pinch Swing would be the appropriate liqour to use for this cunning pla

• 2 weeks later...

I stopped at a Harrods at Heathrow on my way home this time and bought my GF a handbag and put some things inside of it, teddy bear, sweets, perfume etc. It didn't cost much, maybe $50 all up and she was pretty happy with it. It was also easy for me to carry. Remember they love brand names!

$50 for a bag, perfume, and teddy bear...from Harrods, you're joking. A plastic carrier is about $20, what perfume did you buy for christ's sake...555

I was thinking exactly the same thing mate!