Can FBAR be filed using a mac?

watcharacters

The tax system is a bit confusing to me.

Last year I used snail mail but now i see it's not allowed. Last year as well, when I called the help line I got a message to leave my phone number. I figured and got confirmed that there will not be a return call to a foreign phone number. Funny as the idea behind it involves "foreign" bank accounts.

What's a poor former altar boy to do?

How can I get through this using my Mac?

Should i go to an internet cafe and use a Windows based computer? 555

TIA

Does your Mac connect to the Internet? If so there's no difference between filing your FBAR on it and on aWindows (or Android or Linux) computer. Google FBAR, find the US Treasury page, then follow the instructions to fill it out and file it. Don't forget your FATCA (IRS Form 9838) if your amount in the bank triggers it. See previous threads on this subject.

Does your Mac connect to the Internet? If so there's no difference between filing your FBAR on it and on aWindows (or Android or Linux) computer. Google FBAR, find the US Treasury page, then follow the instructions to fill it out and file it. Don't forget your FATCA (IRS Form 9838) if your amount in the bank triggers it. See previous threads on this subject.

I'll get back to your post later. Yes I have decent internet although it occasionally gets slow.

Last year when I called the number in the US for FBAR, I was specifically told the system didn't support the Mac OS which precipitated my query. I was given a number to call which asked for a call back number. I confirmed that the call back would not be outside the USA. For a foreign bank account??

My funds in this bank in LOS allow me to stay here without paying the "tea money to the friendly folks at immigration". That's it. Just a little bit more perhaps.

I'm not hiding and am OK to report and pay the taxes on the 2,000 baht I earned if that's what it was. LOS is the same as everywhere in low interest rates.

follow up..

Thanks for your reply, Dog

all good to you.

• 2 weeks later...

I stand corrected! Perhaps you could use a Windows computer somewhere. It seems as though the type of encryption might be the problem for Macs.

Thanks for this post Dog. Its appreciated.

I have to say, however, during my research the past couple of days, I did come across a site that left me thinking I could use a Mac if it had an OS higher than 10.4 or so. I can't link it as I looked at so much I don't recall where I saw it.

But with the Windows, it seemed to require a much later version.

It can be done using a Mac!! (though the unhelpful "help" desk will say otherwise.)

Use Safari.

Go to Preferences and select "show develop menu" or something to that effect.

On the develop menu tab select use IE.

And it will work just like IE. Problem solved. I have successfully done this two years running now.

• Like 2

The tax system is a bit confusing to me.

Last year I used snail mail but now i see it's not allowed. Last year as well, when I called the help line I got a message to leave my phone number. I figured and got confirmed that there will not be a return call to a foreign phone number. Funny as the idea behind it involves "foreign" bank accounts.

What's a poor former altar boy to do?

How can I get through this using my Mac?

Should i go to an internet cafe and use a Windows based computer? 555

TIA

Forget it. Dont bother.

Bad advice, penalties for not filing FBAR are significant.

As I posted previously, it can be done using a Mac. Just use Safari as your browse, make the "develop" menu visible and select to use IE as a client.

You'll be able to file easily.

Forget their "help desk", they are useless. And they won't tell you what I just did (even though I shared it with them after they incorrectly had told me it couldn't be done with a Mac).

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

By way, if "Develop" does not appear on your Safari menu bar, do the following:

-Go to Safari "Preferences"

-Select "Advanced" on the far right.

-Go to the bottom of the pop-up page and check the "Develop" box.

-"Develop should appear on your menu bar now.

Big Thank You to Sheryl for that work-around. Just went through it using "User Agent" IE-9 on the Safari "Develop" menu and everything worked perfect. Total time about 15 minutes and already got a confirmation of submission.

You have to digitally sign your PDF near end and it is set up for Adobe reader. I did the same in January when got to that step in Foxit - just loaded Adobe Reader for that filing and was done - may have been able to do with Foxit but decided why bother and risk error.

• 2 months later...

Thanks for this thread, now when my obnoxious friends start bragging about how much easier and better their Mac's are I can now point out: not for FBAR reporting

Wrong as reported above very easy.

I did my FBAR at the last minute today with no problems on a Mac - smooth sailing.

The FBAR website also worked very well.

I can confirm that the PDF file used in reporting last year did not work with the OS X version of Acrobat Reader, but it does work this year. This is by observing the same American colleague at our office completing the form last year and this year, using the same iMac.

• 6 months later...

It's that time of year again. Appears the system requirements have not changed much, and the website stalls out when trying to initiate an individual account using the Mac "Develop" work around. Arrgghhhh.

Edited by T_Dog