Iced Coffee and Energy Drinks

greyinthailand

Hi everyone,

I am visiting Thailand on a 60 day tourist visa.

I have been vexed in trying to read Thai nutrition labels. I guess I thought that foods in most countries would be labelled in a similar way to better facilitate international trade. Okay, I was wrong! I don't understand Thai nutrition labels, and they are not always present.

In particular, I will usually drink several coffees or energy drinks per day. Back in the States, it was easy to find energy drinks with no added sugar (using an artificial sweetener instead) but I can't seem to find anything like that here. I did find two brands of iced coffee, Praew and vSlim, which have lower calories. I was clued into this by the "0%" on the can.

Does anyone know of any 0-calorie iced coffee or 0-calorie energy drinks? Suggestions?

Thanks guys!

Grey

you are putting utter crap into your body, why quibble?

and the sweetening agents are equally dangerous as the sugar they replace.

That can be discussed.....

No doubts....Caffeine + sugar or sweeteners = fat + cancer.

Avoid the street iced coffees. Taste good but normally a heap of condensed milk in them.

The instant iced coffee packet mix you buy in the supermarket like Khao Shong are about 50% sugar so one sachet has five teaspoons of sugar...

Edited by kkerry

Wow! So many qualified nutrition experts on this forum. I am grateful for the advice.

Actually, caffeine in moderation has no adverse health effects, and only a fraud will attempt to convince you otherwise. Excess added sugar is not a good thing, hence my question about drinks without added sugar. All of the commercially-used sweeteners are generally regarded as safe by most people who are actually qualified to have an opinion on such matters, with the exception of saccharin which is a known carcinogen.

Ideally I would like to find an iced coffee drink with no sugar or sweeteners, but that's probably asking too much. Looks like I'll have to find some other way to get black coffee.

Edited by Rimmer
Sarcastic flame removed

Just go to any decent coffee shop that makes proper coffee and ask for an iced black (or white) coffee without sugar. Then add any sweetener of your choice if you so desire. You'll be getting an unadulterated product then. Anything which comes in a can or carton is going to have all sorts of crap in it.

• Like 2

If you want 0 calorie iced coffee, I guess that would be an 'Americano yen' (cold)? That is just cold coffee and ice, no milk. Starbucks/True both sell them.

The doctors in this thread need to go do their research. There are no studies linking sweetener or caffeine to cancer. The only proven link is caffeine -> anxiety.

"No doubts....Caffeine + sugar or sweeteners = fat + cancer"

To create fat, you need an excess of calories in the body. Neither caffeine nor sweetener contain calories.

Edited by celso

It's new and modern language: Googletranslatian

Interesting!

Yet another transliteration scheme. But being google, I'm sure it's got the stamp of approval by a whole geeky linguist committee and works well.

Just have to get used to it I suppose, wonder why they didn't just use IPA characters? the diacritics need unicode anyway. . .

Would be nice if there were one standard, I suppose with google behind it this one may be a good candidate for that in future.

But of course "just learn Thai letters" is the proper approach if you're actually learning the language.

Edited by wym

It's new and modern language: Googletranslatian

Interesting!

Yet another transliteration scheme. But being google, I'm sure it's got the stamp of approval by a whole geeky linguist committee and works well.

Just have to get used to it I suppose, wonder why they didn't just use IPA characters? the diacritics need unicode anyway. . .

Would be nice if there were one standard, I suppose with google behind it this one may be a good candidate for that in future.

But of course "just learn Thai letters" is the proper approach if you're actually learning the language.

What the guy posted was harder than Thai to read lol

For some reason there are alomost no light products sold in Thailand. Elswhere you can get everything as a 0% version, but here there aren´t any choices.

The choice of drinks offered here is poor anyway, everything is sugar loaded crap (ok, all soft drinks are sugar loaden crap, but the stuff here is extremely awful)

Most of these good folks did not

answer your question.

I like the cans of Vslim at 7/11 (Latte or Expresso).

and you can get a decent artificial sweetner called "Kontrol"

Aspertane & Sachrine free.

Most of the mugs here are looking at thier bottle of Leo or Chang now

to see if it has added sugar (lol).

I spent one month in Bangkok last Autumn. I checked and I couldn't find anything containing stevia in place of sugar. Stevia, for those who may have not heard of it, is a natural product whose 'sweetness index' is 300 times more than that of white sugar. This is not harmful and has zero calories. It is widely available in the west and I was rather surprised not to have found it in the supermarkets. Maybe I did not look for it thoroughly enough. It is a safe substitute for sugar or aspartame and I use it with my coffee.

Artificial sweeteners like NutraSweet and Aspartame are toxic......what's more they actually make you put more weight on than sugar believe it or not (check it out on the internet if you don't believe me)!! Then there is the HFCS in so many sweetened liquids (I hesitate to call them drinks).

If you value your health then I would stick to water and avoid all factory produced liquids as even the so called healthy fruit juices are packed full of sugar and toxins.

Either that, or make you're own coffee (preferably without sugar and milk) and absolutely without creamer as that is basically HFCS and other poisonous chemicals!!!

Wow! So many qualified nutrition experts on this forum. I am grateful for the advice.

Actually, caffeine in moderation has no adverse health effects, and only a fraud will attempt to convince you otherwise. Excess added sugar is not a good thing, hence my question about drinks without added sugar. All of the commercially-used sweeteners are generally regarded as safe by most people who are actually qualified to have an opinion on such matters, with the exception of saccharin which is a known carcinogen.

Ideally I would like to find an iced coffee drink with no sugar or sweeteners, but that's probably asking too much. Looks like I'll have to find some other way to get black coffee.

it doesn't seem that complicated to me, when i want black coffee, i make black coffee

Bullocks

what does livestock have to do with it?

i dont think id be far wrong assuming you are a bit simple.

Your pick: biggrin.png

With Aspartam you get hypertension

With Acesulfame you get DNA damage

Sugartwin banned from US for good reasons

Erytritol : harmless but empty calorie

Sacharin : Bladder cancer

Stevia : still in research

Sucralose : migraine

Sorbitol : laxative effect

For some reason there are alomost no light products sold in Thailand. Elswhere you can get everything as a 0% version, but here there aren´t any choices.

The choice of drinks offered here is poor anyway, everything is sugar loaded crap (ok, all soft drinks are sugar loaden crap, but the stuff here is extremely awful)

"For some reason there are alomost no light products sold in Thailand. "

Hmm, that is perlexing. Diet drinks found everywhere in the west and not so much in Thailand. The mystery deepens.

pattaya-thailand.jpg

"The choice of drinks offered here is poor anyway, everything is sugar loaded crap ..."

Maybe the farang in the picture is lecturing that girl on the benefits of healthy western diets.

"There are none so blind as those who will not see."

Edited by Suradit69

At least they have finally moved to xylitol gum - a wise move when you consider the dental health of Thais. The mentioned laxative effect is a joke; the labrats that experienced it were having a truckload of xylitol and then some mild effect. You would need to consume a pound of more xylitol at once to experience any laxation. In Thailand that can be achieved much easier with too much chili biggrin.png

-----

As for the coffee, as mentioned by many already, I'd just walk in any coffee shop (or other bar) and ask for black coffee, and if you need it iced, some ice. Many places offer artificial sweeteners as well, so you will gradually get to know where to buy your coffee from. I would say this is a first world problem which solves itself pretty easily after you arrive in LOS.

Edited by koo