B17bn rice loan eases pressure on government

Lite Beer

B17bn rice loan eases pressure on government

BANGKOK: The caretaker government has secured a loan of 17 billion baht from the Government Savings Bank (GSB), which will be used to distribute overdue payments to rice farmers.

The move is likely to temporarily ease pressure on the government, which has faced mounting anger from farmers forced to wait several months for money owed to them under the rice-pledging scheme.

The money will be paid directly to farmers from Monday, caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra said on Friday.

The GSB credit committee on Thursday approved the inter-bank loan to the state-run Bank for Agricultural and Agricultural Cooperatives (BAAC), which is responsible for allocating rice-scheme payments to farmers.

The borrowed cash should relieve pressure on the government for at least a month, as the BAAC usually has the capacity to process payments of two billion to three billion baht per week.

The caretaker government has been struggling to find the 130 billion baht needed to pay the more than 1 million farmers who are still awaiting money from the rice scheme. The farmers have been threatening to stage mass rallies in Bangkok, a move which would likely aggravate the government’s ongoing political woes.

The farmers were due to be paid in October for the main 2013/2014 crop.

"The BAAC must take the money to pay farmers after the Finance Ministry secures the source of funding. Otherwise, the bank may be deemed negligent," a source at the BAAC said.

In a bid to secure funding, caretaker Finance Minister Kittiratt Na-Ranong issued a letter of guarantee to both state-owned banks assuring them that the ministry would take responsibility for interest costs and principal incurred from the loan.

The source said Mr Kittiratt told bank executives the ministry would seek 20 billion baht a month to support the BAAC.

The ministry will also ask state enterprises to shift their deposits from other banks to the BAAC to increase its liquidity. The BAAC recently said its liquidity stood at just over 110 billion baht.

Ms Yingluck said she believes that once farmers are paid, those who took to the streets in protest would return home and get back to work.

"Those farmers who have sued us for 19 million baht [in damages for the payment delay], we would rather let the legal experts deal with that. [The government] doesn’t want to argue with people," she said.

GSB labour union head Likit Klinthanom said the 17 billion baht is part of a total of 20 billion baht in loans that was approved by the board on Jan 8. The process of finalising the loan and transferring the funds, however, was disrupted by anti-government protesters.

The loan carries a 30-day maturity with just over 2% annual interest, he said, adding that such a borrowing arrangement is normal practice and the GSB has surplus liquidity to extend to other banks.

Mr Likit said the labour union supports the bank’s deal.

But former finance minister Thirachai Phuvanatnaranubala questioned the agenda behind the loan arrangement, suggesting it could raise legal hurdles.

Such borrowing could be considered a bank loan rather than inter-bank lending, he said.

Inter-bank borrowing does not need the Finance Ministry to guarantee the lending, he said, and borrowing through the inter-bank market does not require borrowers to identify the borrowing purpose, unlike bank loans.

He suspected that the borrowing could violate Section 181 (4) of the constitution, which bars the caretaker government from using state agencies’ resources to boost its electoral support.

tpn.jpg
-- Phuket News 2014-02-16

• Replies 154
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Govt calls on financial institutions to provide loans for overdue rice payments

BANGKOK, 16 February 2014 (NNT) - The government has urged financial institutions to quickly consider lending the Bank for Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives (BACC) which is responsible to pay farmers in the rice subsidy scheme. The BACC labour union has meanwhile threatened to demonstrate against inter-bank loans to finance the troublesome program.

Deputy Minister of Agriculture and Cooperatives Warathep Rattanakorn asked financial institutions to sympathize with the farmers who had not yet received payments from the rice support program by issuing loans to the BACC. He said loans were needed since it took time to receive proceeds from the distribution of rice from the government’s warehouses. Mr Warathep also confirmed all of the rice farmers would be paid and called on anti-government protesters not to obstruct the loans.

The state-run Government Savings Bank last week approved an inter-bank loan to the BAAC whose labor union is protesting against it.

nntlogo.jpg
-- NNT 2014-02-16 footer_n.gif

Time to withdraw my money from GSB then.

Could not agree more. Many people where I live in Central Thailand have been ringing round to inform all about the actions of the GSB. Tomorrow we and many others will descend upon out branch and remove all our money which when added together, is a considerable sum. Hope many others do the same.

• Like 2

So, as stated the delays in paying the farmers was down to the anti-government protesters as confirmed by the GSB labour union head Likit Klinthanom. Perhaps the farmers will think again about approaches from the ever slippery suthep and his sheeple.

Sent from my i-mobile IQ 5 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by fab4
  • Like 2

BTW I saw another news item which stated GSB did not even ask what the loan was for. Incredibly irresponsible on their part if true & certainly not a good place for your savings with such risque behaviour.

Banks lend to banks based on the credit worthiness of the bank, not on what they are doing with the money. This is normal. It happens in you're country, and I don't know what country you are from.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

Not sure about the legalities but the government must have funds to pay government workers & for ongoing services plus other contracts awarded by the government so why don't they have any money to pay the farmers as surely it is just another government contract. Conversely if they are not allowed to pay the farmers are they allowed to pay all the others.

BTW I saw another news item which stated GSB did not even ask what the loan was for. Incredibly irresponsible on their part if true & certainly not a good place for your savings with such risque behaviour.

Government budgets for government wages and service , the budget was handed down before the caretaker mode, the rice loan is entirely different, no money was budgeted, so no money available, all praying that a 50% increase in rice price would pay for the scheme, it didn't happen. called fritters account. or gambling.

The heads of the state-owned retail banks such as GSB and others are all appointed by the Finance Minister.

I suspect that in spite of the union protests, the head of GSB was made an offer he couldn't refuse by Kittirat and caved.

So, as stated the delays in paying the farmers was down to the anti-government protesters as confirmed by the GSB labour union head Likit Klinthanom. Perhaps the farmers will think again about approaches from the ever slippery suthep and his sheeple.

So the protestors shut down all bank opertions did they?

Idiotic posting in forums, without any sense in writing, can become an embarassment to Paul, John, Ringo and George...

Real scousers wouldn't write as much BS as some do.

• Like 2

"He suspected that the borrowing could violate Section 181 (4) of the constitution, which bars the caretaker government from using state agencies’ resources to boost its electoral support."

Where as Suthep can collect money and donate to the farmers no issues.......because his plan is to have no 'electoral' participation in the forseeable future!!

• Like 1

I know he said that.

But just HOW did the protestors delay the deal? If it was agreed by the board January 8th it would just have been internal paperwork surely?

Your thoughts?

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 1

So why didn't they do this before ?? I guess the Head of the GSB wasn't quite ready. I doubt if the farmers are going to accept this quite arrogant attempt to quieten them down. They are still owed the bulk of the money, and as some of them said - we are now interested in removing the government. I wonder if they will be bought off ?

You missed this above what K Likit said.

"The farmers were due to be paid in October for the main 2013/2014 crop." So no, as usual you are wrong

And as usual mosha firing from the lip without reading the op properly. I said nothing about October payments.

The loan was available on January 8th but was delayed by the protesters as the union head said.

Now am I right or am I right?

Edited by fab4
  • Like 1

I see it reported now :

Govt Savings Bank says it will lend billions of baht to Bank of Agriculture and Agricultural Cooperatives for liquidity /MCOT

For liquidity ?

Not to pay the farmers but to keep the BAAC solvent, in other words to maintain their back up capacity in case of problems.

Not being a banker...Am I reading that right ?