Do you own a tuk tuk or a sam lor?

krisb

way to go man.........we got 2 cars and use both, happy with them as well, however no need for a illegal side car on bike. How is yours insured by the way, as motorbike ? as multi purpose vehicle ? Wonder what the insurance is there ? Or is it us car owners who have to put up with the cash when them little illegal vehicles crash into us ?

It is not insured because it can not not be insured , it can not be registered.

But it is not a super bike which flies at high speeds, so while accidents are possible, i doubt one would be through fault of my own.

If there was one and other party insurance refused to pay, i am sure i could find few thousand baht to put metal bars back together and paint it.

And if stopped by police, 500 or 1000 baht fine would fix the problem

And if my little illegal vehicle crashes into you, you are welcome to sue me thumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7.gif alt=thumbsup.gif width=25 height=19>

PS. Remind me what happens when little scooter driven by a Thai smashes into you?

Yes i've check with the shop i bought "another electric scooter" from (they import both type from China, petrol & electric), the gasoline tricycle that belongs to whoisyourdaddy and my Electric tricycle can be insured and also registered as road legal with a number plate. smile.png

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

way to go man.........we got 2 cars and use both, happy with them as well, however no need for a illegal side car on bike. How is yours insured by the way, as motorbike ? as multi purpose vehicle ? Wonder what the insurance is there ? Or is it us car owners who have to put up with the cash when them little illegal vehicles crash into us ?

But it is not a super bike which flies at high speeds, so while accidents are possible, i doubt one would be through fault of my own.

If there was one and other party insurance refused to pay, i am sure i could find few thousand baht to put metal bars back together and paint it.

And if my little illegal vehicle crashes into you, you are welcome to sue me thumbsup.gif.pagespeed.ce.dtxKiAJ9C7.gif alt=thumbsup.gif width=25 height=19>

PS. Remind me what happens when little scooter driven by a Thai smashes into you?

Yes i've check with the shop i bought "another electric scooter" from (they import both type from China, petrol & electric), the gasoline tricycle that belongs to whoisyourdaddy and my Electric tricycle can be insured and also registered as road legal with a number plate. smile.png

Really? can you post or pm more info on rego please.

Because shop where i bought mine, they use to sell with rego, but stopped and said it was no longer possible

Errr...Sorry to intrude~ Mine...

20140211_100755_zps4cf17a6f.jpg

20140211_100728_zps9c78c8da.jpg

20140211_101000_zpsc04f053a.jpg

20140211_101100_zps9673deb5.jpg

Electric motor : 800w

Battery : 48v 20Ah

Charge once of 5-8hr will travel 40-55km depending on load.

Max load (for this version) : 500kg

Dumpster size : 130cm x 95cm

Max climb : 40°

Max speed full charge (empty, no load) : 50-55kph

Max speed full charge (583kg load including me) : 30-35kph

Distance from home to farm : 830m

Auctioned price i paid on that day : ฿22'000

Delivery : ฿800

Commission : ฿3'000

Made In China.

P.S= That is a big pooch by the way, a 46kg Golden Retriever. The dumpster is not small.

I hate you, lol

MIne is the same in all aspects but not electric and 4 times the price.

attachicon.gifsam.jpg

attachicon.gifsam2.jpg

laugh.png

Believe me, if i am willing to spend that kind of money you paid, i will prefer yours. The petrol tricycle has a better advantage like a better climb going up a slope road. Mine can only manage 40° with an empty load. But it is only for farm use. So i don't need to spend that kind of money just for going to & fro from home to farm at the distance of only 800m. You got a very nice sam lor mate... Be proud~ thumbsup.gif

Edited by RedBullHorn

Really? can you post or pm more info on rego please.

Because shop where i bought mine, they use to sell with rego, but stopped and said it was no longer possible

The shop i bought my electric scooter from is in Chiang Rai, no website.

My E-scooter is insured and register with number place as road legal but not my E-tricycle because i only use it as farm vehicle so i didn't see the need.

Image1987_zps23680b88.jpg

Image1988_zpsc2ff6e26.jpg

This E-scooter of mine cost ฿23'000.-

Sorry for going side track off the topic krisb.

Edited by RedBullHorn
  • Like 1

I am surprised that your wife isn't ashamed. I always thought they were kind of cool, but was quickly informed not over my dead body.

Don't pay any attention to her, if you really want it just do it tell her to get stuffed.

Chances are low she'll ACTUALLY kill you.

But yes, better to establish the correct ground rules from the beginning.

Otherwise you'll be letting her (interpretation of) "face" run your life here, not a good way to live. IMO that's that's the price you pay for marrying a farang, the Thais know we're all "eccentric" anyway.

Edited by wym

I am surprised that your wife isn't ashamed. I always thought they were kind of cool, but was quickly informed not over my dead body.

Yeah well we know who wears the pants in your relationship now ;)

Lol.

Edited by krisb
  • Like 1

Well that makes 3 sam lors and Wyms electric motorbike, nice to see your thinking about carbon footprint btw wym.

No Bangkok tuk tuks yet but I didn't think so.

Not me!

Haven't driven a car more than a dozen times in fifteen years.

And electric's only as clean as the source - here mostly coal. Also, transmission/storage wastes the vast majority.

If you must use internal combustion NGV/LPG's the way to go. . .

• Like 1

Well that makes 3 sam lors and Wyms electric motorbike, nice to see your thinking about carbon footprint btw wym.

Not me!

And electric's only as clean as the source - here mostly coal. Also, transmission/storage wastes the vast majority.

krisb, it's me... me with electric tricycle and scooter. I just thought that since it is meant for rides around the village and to the farm, i don't need to buy things that are more expensive. Save me money for Changs and Lao Khao. :D

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

Not me!

krisb, it's me... me with electric tricycle and scooter. I just thought that since it is meant for rides around the village and to the farm, i don't need to buy things that are more expensive. Save me money for Changs and Lao Khao. :D

Sent from my GT-I9190 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Sorry mate, on my phone it's easy to overlook details, like names.

This is our TUK-TUK in Nakhon Sawan. Chinese made CHAMP from the local Dealer [see PIC]. Paid 74,000.00 THB with all accessories [canopy'side wall curtains all round , etc] 107 cc semi-auto ... GREAT unit can carry up to 350kg; fold down panels on rear and both sides; I made my own windscreen later. Took it all the way to CHIANG MAI 3 years ago just after purchase. Made my own wooden seats for 6 persons in rear. Great for shopping and the markets. Went everywhere in the flooding 2 years ago and never missed a beat. I think I was the first FARANG to own one in Nakhon Sawan. AND my WIFE [Thai] and family just love it !!! Although they originally thought I was "MAD" [TingTong] brianlg@@iprimus.com.au NewBikes 004 10x8.jpg NewBikes 005.jpg Champ 001.jpg Champ 004.jpg Champ 003.jpg Champ 005.jpg ChampShop 002.jpg

Mine is Hercules model, I think they lied to you about load,

The 115 cc is about 200kg, get your better looking half :) to see the site. Champthai.com

Does yours have any problems mechanically ?

Edited by whoisyourdaddy

There's a big Lifan (Chinese) dealer here in CNX that handles Lifan motorcycles (my friend has one) and a lot of different models of the various types shown here, both gas and electric.

there is also a tuk-tuk factory here that can custom make one for you with 600cc Japanese motor, any color you want, but they get expensive. they also make the "golf cart" type for hotels.

• Like 1

Here's Mr Kamthong Somchhai with his new wheels. I believe 16k is what they're worth,

http://www.flickr.com/photos/prachatai/12451075215/

Errr...do you know you posted a huge file of photos with that one that you may not of intended to share with the entire world?

Okay, you're most welcome to look at them. When something's on the net, as far as I'm concerned, it's fair game.

Nice looking clean rig. You got a good deal.

I too have been looking at Tuk Tuks and the prices mentioned are in line. A new one is around $4000 or so. I paid $13,000 for my little Kubota so $4000 for a Tuk Tuk is a good deal for me.

My big concern is getting a Thai license. I can not learn to read or write thai.

spiritrace, on 17 Feb 2014 - 11:52, said:

Nice looking clean rig. You got a good deal.

I too have been looking at Tuk Tuks and the prices mentioned are in line. A new one is around $4000 or so. I paid $13,000 for my little Kubota so $4000 for a Tuk Tuk is a good deal for me.

My big concern is getting a Thai license. I can not learn to read or write thai.

Spirit, do you already hold a licence from your home country, if you do, you don't need to do a written or driving test, only a colour blind and reaction test, both very easy.

krisp, did it come complete with the squeaky breaks. It seems all of them in Mukdahan squeak and judder.

No not really. Have had the brake levers adjusted once after they wore in. Cause we only holiday up there at the farm I don't ride it much unlike the taxi guys would do. Perhaps they don't maintain them too much either.

krisb, on 17 Feb 2014 - 11:59, said:
Rorri, on 17 Feb 2014 - 11:45, said:

krisp, did it come complete with the squeaky breaks. It seems all of them in Mukdahan squeak and judder.

No not really. Have had the brake levers adjusted once after they wore in. Cause we only holiday up there at the farm I don't ride it much unlike the taxi guys would do. Perhaps they don't maintain them too much either.

Yeah, lack on maintenance is what I was suspecting. Repairs don't seem hi on the agenda.