Do you own a tuk tuk or a sam lor?

krisb

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Classy looking machine KB thumbsup.gif

Do you consider this safer than a standard bike?

I'm surprised it was only 50,000 Baht. Seems quite the bargain

Perhaps safer, you feel like you have a bit more around you but it's not smooth like the Hondas or decent bikes are. Doesn't take off like my Clik i does either. Not quality parts, mainly unknown Chinese parts but it's now got a few k's on it and no problems yet.

That's brilliant! Coincidentally, I was looking at an old thread about buying tuk-tuks just last week, and the prices on those seemed to run from 60,000 to 150,000, depending on specification. 50,000 seems like a bargain by comparison. Where did you buy it?

That's brilliant! Coincidentally, I was looking at an old thread about buying tuk-tuks just last week, and the prices on those seemed to run from 60,000 to 150,000, depending on specification. 50,000 seems like a bargain by comparison. Where did you buy it?

Got it in Chumphae, there's 2 dealers of them in the same street. By memory it was about 56,000baht about 3 years ago.

lol krisb, that's a classy ride you got there.. laugh.png

I wouldn't know where to begin to find one.

Why didn't you go for the other style, like they have in bangkok?

They don't sell them in Issan.

Sam lor is what they sell up my waysmile.png

• Like 1

I own one of these, 86000 baht, 150cc

Get pulled over all the time by the cops to ask where I got it from as they wanted to get one for their wife

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

Cool, another sam lor out therethumbsup.gif . Never seen that type before.

Champ Brand, Chinese Import. but available in Thailand, www.champthai.com

Can take load of up to 300kg, has reverse

Can not be registered, water cooled engine

Looks good but it is like a truck, not a nice ride, but a fun to drive around

Edited by whoisyourdaddy
  • Like 1

oh dear......down south luckily no, leave it up to the locals who would much prefer a pick up if they had the $$ ,......nah.....biggrin.png , I'm not going even going to get into this "follow isarn style" way of living.... please guys, dont make a fool out of yourselves. Go ahead, blast away....... just arrived here...dont know ziltch

Are they allowed in Bkk? It's just that I can't remember seeing one here.

BTW, I like it, seems a sweet deal for 50k. Will keep it in mind.

From what i know, it can not be registered and if cannot be registered, legally it is not suppose to be on the road.

But bikes with side car are also semi illegal.

As i mentioned, i am in Pattaya and get pulled over on regular basis, but only to find out where i got mine from.

Fingers crossed it will stay same way :)

• Like 1

I am surprised that your wife isn't ashamed. I always thought they were kind of cool, but was quickly informed not over my dead body.

I heard the same from my maid, who laughed when i bought it.

Now she fights with me who will drive to go shopping, and often also asks to borrow it to move her family things.

She loves it.

Even if she sits in the back on kids chair, she always strikes up a conversation with people in the cars and bikes and really loves it

oh dear......down south luckily no, leave it up to the locals who would much prefer a pick up if they had the $$ ,......nah.....biggrin.png , I'm not going even going to get into this "follow isarn style" way of living.... please guys, dont make a fool out of yourselves. Go ahead, blast away....... just arrived here...dont know ziltch

I often get the looks from foreigners with your point of you, when they are getting out of their 10 year old beat up cars.

Here is a flash news, my "truck" is the best for shopping, because i can stack it to the top, plenty of room, it is easy to wash, it is easy to park, easy to go between lanes and cars and hardly much gas.

While you sit in your pick up 1 hour in traffic, i have already done the shopping and returning homethumbsup.gif

Not to mention, i can take my dogs to the beach, they can get as dirty as they like, i hose them off and the "truck" and happy days

PS, I do have 2 cars, both new, hardly been driven since the purchase date(3 000 km on the clock, bought in December 2011), you welcome to buy 1 or both, i am selling bothbiggrin.png

way to go man.........we got 2 cars and use both, happy with them as well, however no need for a illegal side car on bike. How is yours insured by the way, as motorbike ? as multi purpose vehicle ? Wonder what the insurance is there ? Or is it us car owners who have to put up with the cash when them little illegal vehicles crash into us ?

I often get the looks from foreigners with your point of you, when they are getting out of their 10 year old beat up cars.

Here is a flash news, my "truck" is the best for shopping, because i can stack it to the top, plenty of room, it is easy to wash, it is easy to park, easy to go between lanes and cars and hardly much gas.

While you sit in your pick up 1 hour in traffic, i have already done the shopping and returning homethumbsup.gif

Not to mention, i can take my dogs to the beach, they can get as dirty as they like, i hose them off and the "truck" and happy days

PS, I do have 2 cars, both new, hardly been driven since the purchase date(3 000 km on the clock, bought in December 2011), you welcome to buy 1 or both, i am selling bothbiggrin.png

way to go man.........we got 2 cars and use both, happy with them as well, however no need for a illegal side car on bike. How is yours insured by the way, as motorbike ? as multi purpose vehicle ? Wonder what the insurance is there ? Or is it us car owners who have to put up with the cash when them little illegal vehicles crash into us ?

It is not insured because it can not not be insured , it can not be registered.

But it is not a super bike which flies at high speeds, so while accidents are possible, i doubt one would be through fault of my own.

If there was one and other party insurance refused to pay, i am sure i could find few thousand baht to put metal bars back together and paint it.

And if stopped by police, 500 or 1000 baht fine would fix the problem

And if my little illegal vehicle crashes into you, you are welcome to sue me thumbsup.gif

PS. Remind me what happens when little scooter driven by a Thai smashes into you?

Edited by whoisyourdaddy
  • Like 2