Do you own a tuk tuk or a sam lor?

krisb

I bought one of these 6years ago and never regretted it. They were called "Sky labs"for some reason,not sure why but as there are a lot about in Udon Thani---- literally thousands,I do not get the same reception that I used to,but all the youngsters in the back of pickups like to give me a wave. All the Cops know me and no trouble there. There is a separate driving license test for them and it puts a little image of one at the bottom of your license.Great form of transport for dirty jobs on farm,shopping ,and carrying building materials. Wouldn't be without mine now and wife loves it>

• Like 1

• Replies 133
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Nice looking clean rig. You got a good deal.

I too have been looking at Tuk Tuks and the prices mentioned are in line. A new one is around $4000 or so. I paid $13,000 for my little Kubota so $4000 for a Tuk Tuk is a good deal for me.

My big concern is getting a Thai license. I can not learn to read or write thai.

Thai driver license have english option and questionairs are in english multiple choice. 50 questions if i can recall.

When I got my Thai license, I showed my US license, passed a color blindness test, and that was that. No other test required. Wonder what would have happened had I not passed that color blindness test...

I had this "ride" built in Bangkok about 14 years ago. Slightly stretched to accommodate my frame, the builder suggested I put Buddha's on the outside as shown, since I was unable to license it as a private individual. His thought's have proven wise over the years as I have driven it around Pattaya with a punched out Daihatsu car engine, with no plates, and have never been hassled, including in this photo, getting my Tuk Tuk driver's license in Pattaya. I had quite a crowd while I tried to parallel park......

attachicon.gifIMG_0101.jpg

clap2.gif First Bkk tuk tuk!!...congrats!..have run out of likes for the day but will return with 1 for your great effort.

The art on it looks really good. Is that painted on?

Out f##king standing topic.Love it and have thought about getting one for a while, but was warned off. Nice pictures also. Now will be a real option when I arrive this year.

From what others have said and I know myself, it's all safe owning one. Just use common sense when driving them, be super cautious.

Great fun and go for it I say!thumbsup.gif

Cool ride, Krisb.

I bet you really pull the chicks with that sleek machine. I'm guessing that is why Mrs. T won't let *me* buy one!

Cheers

T

Yeah I look pretty sexy on it matebiggrin.pngthumbsup.gif

sad.png.... No I don't.

Sexiness is in the eye of the beholder. I'm not young, and women that might find me sexy would tend to be the practical type. In congested Thailand, what's more practical to the down to earth ladies than a vehicle that can store plenty of shopping and zip through traffic?

T

• Like 1

I tip my hat to all the fellows who have bought and actually own this magnificent vehicle in Thailand for several reasons.

Reason 1: Likewise but not the same.., I am going for a larger, 4 wheeled, vehicle myself. It has the same paperwork advantages and strangely enough, it comes within the same price range.

I'll leave the rest up to your imagination..

wai2.gif

Thank you Krisb for putting it up for discussion here. I enjoy reading this thread.

I'd like to take it for a spin, someday.whistling.gif

Yours,

DAL

• Like 1

Sam-laws are cool. I had a 125cc manual with reverse that I spent 50,000+ baht on. Udon sam-law drivers were always ecstatic when they saw I had reverse, often wanting to check it out & whatnot. I spent a bit on installing a good stereo system with front & back speakers. Was a blast during Songkran (I'd put a plastic wrap across the music system to keep it dry).

I've seen a few farang out & about in Udon Thani with sam-laws, most of which were more fancy & higher powered than mine. They are definitely useful for grocery shopping & when looking to buy nursery supplies (e.g., flowers, dirt, bushes). The furthest I ever drove my sam-law was to Nong Khai & back, a 55 Km each-way trip that was hard on it, causing it to overheat. On occasion, gave a few walker-bys near my house rides (no charge!). Have even had people try to flag me down!

My wife used to drive the sam-law to UDRU. Her classmates were initially surprised but delighted to see a young Thai girl driving one. After a few months, a couple more of her classmates began driving them.

Just before I left Thailand in 2011, I gave the sam-law to the village security guard. He'd had a bad-luck run at life, so my wife & I felt he could use some good luck.

Edited by SeabagsFull
  • Like 1

"Reverse would be handy.

Was that aftermarket?"

I don't really think "aftermarket" is an applicable term regarding sam-laws, at least not in Isaan.

Though you can find small groups of individuals manufacturing sam-laws throughout the NE, the largest company by-far -- & the one who actually spurred sam-law growth in Udon Thani & its surrounding provinces -- is Atiphong Motor. They were featured in a 30' TV show in 2010; I am one of several people shown driving sam-laws around town. I recorded the show & converted it to a stand-alone .avi clip, but its 53MB size precludes me from being able to upload it here.

Basically, Atiphong Motor (or whoever) builds the sam-law around a Chinese engine, though you can specifically request a different engine for a price. Atiphong in Udon Thani began offering reverse with 125cc & also with an experimental 150cc that was chainless. I wanted the latter, which was more expensive, but the owner -- a friend -- believed I would have too many mechanical problems with it & thus talked me into going with the cheaper more reliable sam-law.

Atiphong custom-built a really nice sam-law for a German fellow who eventually left before he could sell it; Atiphong agreed to try & sell it for the guy for a percentage of his 150,000 baht asking price.

Edited correction: my wife reminds me that our sam-law was 110cc, not 125cc.

Edited by SeabagsFull
  • Like 1

Would love to see a 150,000 baht sam lor.

Must be a real beast at more than double the cost of mine.

Mine was the top engine size, therefore most expensive they had. There was 2 choices, red or blue. I know red ones go faster but I'm not a speed freak. Like my good self, built for comfort :D

• Like 2

Today took mine to Makro shopping with cook sitting on a wooden chair in the back.

No excitement on the way there.

On the way back, back full of shopping and cook sitting on top if all, had a few whistles from girls driving by.

Stopped at gas station to get some gas, A really cute attendant was filling up my tank, asked her to do my windscreen as well.

Ended up leaving with clean windscreen, tank full of gas and her phone number.

In case people have not read the entire thread, my tuk tuk does not have a windscreenbiggrin.png

PS. Cook was also pretty happy, he had kitchen full of food

• Like 1

Today took mine to Makro shopping with cook sitting on a wooden chair in the back.

On the way back, back full of shopping and cook sitting on top if all, had a few whistles from girls driving by.

Stopped at gas station to get some gas, A really cute attendant was filling up my tank, asked her to do my windscreen as well.

In case people have not read the entire thread, my tuk tuk does not have a windscreenbiggrin.png

So it is a chick magnet, or was it some smooth talking?

biggrin.png

biggrin.png

Must of been the cook, who was sitting on top of all the shoppinggiggle.gif

• Like 1

biggrin.png

Must of been the cook, who was sitting on top of all the shoppinggiggle.gif

Love to have seen a pic of that. Cook perched up on top with a falang driving a sam lor. That's fantasticclap2.gif

Though you can find small groups of individuals manufacturing sam-laws throughout the NE, the largest company by-far -- & the one who actually spurred sam-law growth in Udon Thani & its surrounding provinces -- is Atiphong Motor. They were featured in a 30' TV show in 2010; I am one of several people shown driving sam-laws around town. I recorded the show & converted it to a stand-alone .avi clip, but its 53MB size precludes me from being able to upload it here.

Youtube

• Like 1