Bankruptcy should be renamed 'debt adjustment', recommends EU official

Maestro

Bankruptcy should be renamed 'debt adjustment', recommends EU official
EU report claims calling someone bankrupt is too stigmatising and recommends the phrase should no longer be used
The EU wants to banish the word bankruptcy from the English language because it is too stigmatising, according to reports.
Officials in Brussels want to see the term replaced with a more neutral phrase, such as “debt adjustment”.
The idea is part of wider reforms being considered to harmonise economic arrangements across the EU and make it easier for people who have run into financial problems to be given a second chance.
-- The Telegraph 20140216

Bankruptcy should be renamed 'debt adjustment "Theft",

Well certainly in the UK, it is so easy for directors to hide assets before putting a limited company into voluntary liquidation, and start trading under a different name with other family members appointed as directors.

Having a building company renege on payments for over a year only to do this on me when I took it to the courts, makes me sick and letting company directors off the hook, scotfreo, make me sick.

• Like 1

EU report claims calling someone bankrupt is too stigmatising and recommends the phrase should no longer be used

The EU official doesn't seem to understand how language works.

The EU wants to banish the word bankruptcy from the English language[.]

Are they under the impression that there is some master database of words that humans are all linked to, and that by deleting a word, people will instantly stop using it?

Just for laughs, I'm interested in knowing what word is suggested to replace bankrupt.

Edited by attrayant

The EU official doesn't seem to understand how language works.

The EU wants to banish the word bankruptcy from the English language[.]

Are they under the impression that there is some master database of words that humans are all linked to, and that by deleting a word, people will instantly stop using it?

Just for laughs, I'm interested in knowing what word is suggested to replace bankrupt.

Businessman