Toyota Fortuner Alarm Going Off Randomly

tweezer

Hello,

I have a 2007 Toyota Fortuner, which I have never had any major issues with at all.

Recently, the theft deterrent alarm (the horn blowing) has been triggering randomly, sometimes in the parking lot at work in the middle of the day, sometimes in the middle of the night in the parking garage at my apartment.

It usually goes for about 30 seconds then just stops. It happens very randomly... may a couple times a week. There is nothing around the car that could trigger it, and it is only supposed to trigger when there is an unauthorized entry.

Has anyone had this issue with a Fortuner or other Toyota model? And if so, how was it resolved?

Just wanted to check before I bring it in to the dealer, as I can't find any clear explanation out on the internet.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

T.

First thing to check is all of your door latches and the pin switches on each... a loose latch might not be properly engaging the switch, and a sticky/fouled switch might not be depressing all the way when the door is closed.....

• Like 1

another cause maybe the battery is getting to old and losing charge which can also set off the alarm , have it checked and replaqce if necessary .

That was my thought too. thumbsup.gif

When my Vigo's battery was near death a few things happened, think the one click drivers window malfunction was one.

• 2 months later...

Update here...

Well, I figured out that if I lock the doors with the metal key via the keyhole (not the electronic lock button on they key), the issue does not occur. It only happens when you use the electronic lock button, as that arms the alarm.

Finally, I got Toyota to test it and wait for the alarm to go off, and they saw the same problem. They dug around and found a faulty sensor in the hood latch... the sensor that detects whether the hood is closed or opened. They replaced the whole latch assembly including the sensor.

Voila... it's fixed!

Cheers!

T

• Like 2

• 3 years later...

I had the same problem with my Fortuner 2009. Alarm went off randomly and it was so annoying. If the security indicator goes on and flashing after 30 sec when pressing the lock button then alarm sound will go off after a while. If the security indicator is NOT on then the alarm is NOT aimed but doors were locked when I press lock button on the key. This is an intermittent problem with the bonnet latch switch. You can disconnect the switch and use the key for locking only or you can change the switch at your local dealer. To solve this problem, I just jumped the switch wires together and make the control box thinks that the hood is closed then wala. It works as the alarm system without the hood sensor switch.

On 2/17/2014 at 2:10 PM, transam said:

That was my thought too. thumbsup.gif

When my Vigo's battery was near death a few things happened, think the one click drivers window malfunction was one.

I had an older Vigo rental last week (not my choice) and noticed the one-click drivers side window function wasn't working. Now I know why.

It had about 115,000 km on it and the transmission was noisy as all buggery but it was in surprisingly good nick otherwise.

• 4 years later...

I had the same problem which started about 6 weeks ago. No apparent reasons, sometimes the alarm just went off... After some investigation and reading most of the associated blogs I took my 2008 Fortuner to a friend who has a garage. We discovered that there are three horns fitted to this vehicle, one of which is for the alarm system. Disconnected it and no more alarms in the day or in the middle of the night. For those who are still interested in this topic and have the same problem; looking at the car with the bonnet open from the front, it's the horn on the right-hand side of the radiator. A bit awkward to get to because the grille has to be removed, then it's simply a case of removing the connector. You're welcome.  

• 6 months later...
On 10/28/2021 at 11:36 AM, Colin Robertson said:

I had the same problem which started about 6 weeks ago. No apparent reasons, sometimes the alarm just went off... After some investigation and reading most of the associated blogs I took my 2008 Fortuner to a friend who has a garage. We discovered that there are three horns fitted to this vehicle, one of which is for the alarm system. Disconnected it and no more alarms in the day or in the middle of the night. For those who are still interested in this topic and have the same problem; looking at the car with the bonnet open from the front, it's the horn on the right-hand side of the radiator. A bit awkward to get to because the grille has to be removed, then it's simply a case of removing the connector. You're welcome.  

Interesting as the three horns (as you look into the engine bay from the front are one at the rear left and two in front of the radiator mid left and mid right. We have a problem where the alarm goes off if we forget to lock the car. Toyota disconnected the horn at the rear left (without saying anything) and charged us a lot to replace all the door rubbers (which they claimed was the problem) needless to say the problem is still there.

On 5/14/2022 at 12:29 PM, Seismic said:

Interesting as the three horns (as you look into the engine bay from the front are one at the rear left and two in front of the radiator mid left and mid right. We have a problem where the alarm goes off if we forget to lock the car. Toyota disconnected the horn at the rear left (without saying anything) and charged us a lot to replace all the door rubbers (which they claimed was the problem) needless to say the problem is still there.

So now if you forget to lock the car and head off shopping...?