BKK-Khonkaen bus crashes after driver 'dozes off'

webfact

BKK-Khonkaen Bus Crashes After Driver 'Dozes Off'
By Khaosod English

13926248331392625147l.jpg

BANGKOK: -- A bus has crashed in Nakhon Ratchasima province early this morning after its driver had reportedly dozed off behind the wheel.

The driver, who was later identified as Mr. Pirom Luang-Ei, 59, died at the scene. Many passengers also suffered injuries, but no additional death has been reported so far.

Rescue workers spent more than 30 minutes at the scene to retrieve the injured passengers through the front windshield of the wrecked bus.

The bus was operated by Nakhonchai Tour Company. A passenger said the bus departed Mo Chit Bus Terminal in Bangkok at 23.00 last night with maximum capacity and was bound for Khonkaen province.

When the bus approached the scene, the passenger said, the bus was visibly swaying before it eventually slid off the road and collided into a tree.

Police believe the driver fell asleep behind the wheel, but stressed that the investigation is ongoing.

Source: http://www.khaosod.co.th/en/view_newsonline.php?newsid=TVRNNU1qWXlORGd6TXc9PQ==

kse.png
-- Khaosod English 2014-02-17

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

So many drivers falling asleep in Thailand.

How come I never hear of this happening in the UK?

Whiskey???

It's many a decade since I used a long distance bus in Britain and the last time, in 1977, the coach from Glasgow to London had 2 drivers.

Whiskey???

Don't be ridiculous, it happens all over the world. More regularly in 3rd world countries because of lack of controls. A tachometer in every long distance vehicle should be the norm plus more technology to help drivers, as I mentioned in my previous post.

• Like 1

Whiskey???

It's many a decade since I used a long distance bus in Britain and the last time, in 1977, the coach from Glasgow to London had 2 drivers.

Of all the bus companies in Thailand, Nakhonchai Air is the one I'd plump to use first. Their safety record and in-house regulations are pretty good and their buses are second to none. This is a rare event for them and while the driver may well have dozed off, it could also be possible that he had a heart attack or stroke at the wheel. I guess it depends on how good an autopsy is performed to establish cause of death. He was after all, 59, so not the youngest guy on their books. They also often run a relief driver on the longer routes, though not the 6 hour BKK-KK route I believe. Very unfortunate incident, but it would not stop me from using their services.

This bus was going to KK or Udon and stopping in Korat. It would use 2 or 3 drivers for this rout. I use NCA from Surin to Chiang Mai 15 hours and they use 3 drivers. I will still use the. http://primia.net/thaibus/

Why is there no technology to warn bus and lorry drivers when they are about to fall asleep? This is a major problem all over the world and I wouldn't have thought it would be difficult to invent a piece of equipment to monitor a driver's breathing pattern say and wake him/her up before falling asleep! Having owned a minivan company for a few years, I know full well that tiredness is a big problem for professional drivers.

The technology is there, there are several versions with a variety of costs, but that is the issue, the cost.

• Like 1

Whiskey???

Don't be ridiculous, it happens all over the world. More regularly in 3rd world countries because of lack of controls. A tachometer in every long distance vehicle should be the norm plus more technology to help drivers, as I mentioned in my previous post.

yeah it certainly happens everywhere, the bill just put a big supplier of fuel and gas trucks, off the road in NSW Oz, out of 36 gas trucks checked, 25 were un-road worthy, big trouble for ordinary motorists as you don't know how or when these things are serviced.

It sounds daft to mention this but really good solution. If there is a monitor of the driver in front of the passengers, then they will able to warn the driver for his tiredness to avoid the to-be-collision. Or will it cause the driver being paranoid?

Edited by nabbie

Why is there no technology to warn bus and lorry drivers when they are about to fall asleep? This is a major problem all over the world and I wouldn't have thought it would be difficult to invent a piece of equipment to monitor a driver's breathing pattern say and wake him/her up before falling asleep! Having owned a minivan company for a few years, I know full well that tiredness is a big problem for professional drivers.

The technology has been in cars for years. Check out Mercedes Attention Assist System.

JUST... Most manufacturers don't employ it yet, as so far it includes driving and wheel sensors.

Then again, with all the Mercedes stickers and badges on Thai coaches, and non-Mercedes cars, I thought Mercedes was making a coach and car killing in sales here. giggle.gif

Edit: http://www.euroncap.com/Player.aspx?nk=a299f606-1236-49d0-8bcb-2dc70574a637

Edited by Why ask

Need for classification. NCA DOES NOT USE MOCHIT they have their own terminal about 2km away. The article says

"The bus was operated by Nakhonchai Tour Company. A passenger said the bus departed Mo Chit Bus Terminal in Bangkok at 23.00 last night with maximum capacity and was bound for Khonkaen province." NCA does own a tour company which may use Mochit. That company is http://www.nakhonchaitour.com/nct/

Edited by khwaibah

irst thing the bus companies need to do is control the number of hours these drivers work. Second they need to test for intoxication. Way too many bus accidents in Thailand and way too many where the drivers either fall asleep, or are intoxicated or partied all night the night before when they should be sleeping.

I take these interprovincial busses. I don't like to but sometimes have to out of necessity. When is the Government going to learn to enforce some new regulations.

Barry

Whiskey???

Of all the bus companies in Thailand, Nakhonchai Air is the one I'd plump to use first. Their safety record and in-house regulations are pretty good and their buses are second to none. This is a rare event for them and while the driver may well have dozed off, it could also be possible that he had a heart attack or stroke at the wheel. I guess it depends on how good an autopsy is performed to establish cause of death. He was after all, 59, so not the youngest guy on their books. They also often run a relief driver on the longer routes, though not the 6 hour BKK-KK route I believe. Very unfortunate incident, but it would not stop me from using their services.

Nakhonchai Air ALWAYS changes the driver halfway Bangkok-Khon Kaen.

And mostly there is a spare driver stashed away somehere in the bus.

The picture above clearly shows a single decker bus, low profile, standard fare of Nakhonchai air.

The other company uses double deckers or semi double deckers, high profile.

To the question if there are "things" to check the alertness of the driver, there are.

Edited by hansnl

NCA is a world class bus company, the best in Thailand for sure, have been to KK from BKK many times with NCA they change drivers half way every time I have gone with NCA, shame this has happen with their bus and two crashes in the last few weeks, would still use them.

• Like 1

NCA is a world class bus company, the best in Thailand for sure, have been to KK from BKK many times with NCA they change drivers half way every time I have gone with NCA, shame this has happen with their bus and two crashes in the last few weeks, would still use them.

It's also possible at 59 he had a heart-attack. Speculations of falling asleep don't carry much momentum, with such a company of excellence.

• Like 2

It's also possible at 59 he had a heart-attack. Speculations of falling asleep don't carry much momentum, with such a company of excellence.

More then possible the poor driver had a medical emergency.

However, stating the driver fell asleep is of course a bit premature.

But maybe a PM is then not needed?

Whiskey???

drivers of buses rare to drink n drive more of them smoke yaba ice amphetamine and when very high or when long time no smoke they sleep so much cheap Ice in the northeast so more urine testing is better for safety because drugs r dangerous

Why is there no technology to warn bus and lorry drivers when they are about to fall asleep? This is a major problem all over the world and I wouldn't have thought it would be difficult to invent a piece of equipment to

monitor a driver's breathing pattern say and wake him/her up before falling asleep! Having owned a minivan company for a few years, I know full well that tiredness is a big problem for professional drivers.

There is a warning devise....when you can't keep your eyes open its time to sleep.....All joking aside the so-called Pro drivers here need to be required to keep a Logbook of time on duty.....10 hours on and 8 off....but then the problem with that no one to enforce or better yet no one cares.

Whiskey???

How would a device [tachometer] to count engine revolutions help? High revs don't mean high speed necessarily. They mostly mean engines revving in lower gears.

• Like 1