Mini Fridge, Wife Wants Badly, Help!

Nikkijah

I've looked in quite a few places for a mini fridge, possible with a glass front as they look nicer but haven't found one yet, my wife has been told by the ever-reliable :D BOY working in Central Pink Klao that Thai people don't want these any more as the glass breaks(unlike in the rest of the world where the glass does NOT break) so I won't find one in the entire kingdom :o

Someone make some sense and tell me where I can find one please, second hand might be ok if it isn't coated in day-glo stickers....

I am also confused by what you want. I have never seen mini fridges with glass fronts for home use anywhere if you are talking about bedroom size refrigerators. It sounds as if you want a commercial display type unit made here and they are sold in specialized stores all over Bangkok but am not sure how small you can obtain.

I've seen them for years, they're usually for batchelor pads and are usually advertised in lad mags, my wife had one when she was living with her family a few years ago but left it there when she moved in with me, if you search for mini fridge on google you'll see what i mean

Thanks for any further help, anybody

What I see on Google is the normal bedroom/hotel room small refrigerator which is available anywhere with normal steel or plastic door. I have not seen any such unit with a glass door except for the local made commercial types for stores, restaurants and pubs. That will not be found in department stores but will be found in refrigeration shop houses in different areas of the city.

I too have only seen wine fridges that are commercially available. I think the bars that have the large display fridges get them cutom made, that might be an option if you have a local bar with them you could check.

The display units you see in bars and shophouse restaurants/drinking establishments are most freebees for Coke/Peps and other bottlers. They are also built and sold as commercial units. I know there are several on Latphao Road and believe most major roads in Bangkok. I can't imagine a Thai wanting one for there home however as such an idea was immediately shot down by my wife even 25 years ago on the basis it would look cheap - not to mention display the leftovers to public view. They are not designed for home use.

For wine storage where you want to display your wealth, that is another matter. :o

Thanks for all your help guys, the reason I wanted one is because our kitchen is detatched from our house(no jokes about pikeys please!) and when the rain comes its a pain in the arse running to the kitchen for a bottle of baby milk...

I actually thought they looked quite stylish if they were in the right place, not 'Thai style' with blue plastic everywhere and shitty stickers plastered all over the door, I suppose some peoples style is another mans rubbish, or something like that...

There's a fridge like that (dark transparent glass door) for sale in the kitchen applicance section of the Emporium, top floor. I think its a Japanese make, and is meant to be for wine--but I bet you can move the shelves around for baby food, or whatever...

Cheers! Misty

Most any department store will have the units like that in photo above with solid door but I have not seen with glass here. I would buy the larger units most Thai have for house and then you have room for other extras. There is never enough ant free areas in any home so I am sure good use will be put to the extra space. Cost is about the same as the mini units.

If it is your house a covering for the kitchen walkway might be a better investment.

thanks again guys, the outside area is beautiful with lots of plants so a walkway wouldn't look very good, maybe in the future when my wife realises I'm not going to find something suitable for her...

I'll check out the emporium, a wine fridge sounds perfect really, one of thos big things that the Thais have would look ridiculous in our home, we like it all natural and a honking big chrome freezer would ruin that

Any more suggestions welcomed though :-)

Thanks again

the area where you can find the shops for commercial fridge is called Larn Luang (just across from Mission Hospital). But as someone already said...they tend to not look so pretty, mostly steel-colored, with glass front. but perhaps if they can custom make at reasonable price, then you can ask nicely for some other color casing?

and yes most of the bar ones are from bottlers, but if you know one of those chinese style Mom n pop restuarant that will usually have the huge one for the grocery storage, maybe they can give you contact which will mean some discount?

good luck. cheers

I've looked in quite a few places for a mini fridge, possible with a glass front as they look nicer but haven't found one yet, my wife has been told by the ever-reliable :D BOY working in Central Pink Klao that Thai people don't want these any more as the glass breaks(unlike in the rest of the world where the glass does NOT break) so I won't find one in the entire kingdom :o

Someone make some sense and tell me where I can find one please, second hand might be ok if it isn't coated in day-glo stickers....

Hi, I've got a small fridge (60cm*60cm*60cm) approx external dimensions. It's all white with a metal door though. Personally I wouldn't want a fridge with a glass door, rather not have my food and drink on display all the time. If you want it it's yours for 1,500 baht. Location near On Nut BTS.

With Thanks,

Richard