Honda dealership experience - for a falang - part deux

As I am in the market for a sedan, circa 600k. I knew from wife having called them a few weeks ago that they want 50% downpayment for a foreigner. I thought I would investigate.

Went to Anuphas Honda Phuket. They pretty much have cornered the market with their dealerships, gas stations and large plots of land owned by them.

Wife and I were both greeted by a pretty young thing. She was nice, smiling and welcoming. Wife asked her in Thai (no English sapoken) about any promotions.

She said they want a downpayment of 49k baht to take the car out! Wife was wrong!

Ok, so we want to look at the 4 door Brio Amaze..the larger of the two models (5 door hatchback and this one). Nice inside, not as roomy as the Vios and same slightly larger than the Mitsu Attrage.

We sat down, did the paperwork to see how much per month, etc etc. Averaged to about 7200 per month for 84 months. About 8k for 72 months.

Great, I said. Sounds good. We will test drive in a few minutes, I warned the pretty young thing.

Ok! She says. Vewy happy girl.

So I repeated, in Thai, what I heard her say to the wife.....49k payment? Ka! 7200k per month? Ka! Free insurance? Ka! Free film? Ka! Free sensors? Ka!

She filled out the pre sale slip that showed all the funds needed.... No 49k payment!!

Wife asked her again... Oh, for farang we discount from 50% downpayment to 30% downpayment!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I said to her, what discount? That is no discount. I took out my handy dic and pointed to the translation for DISCRIMINATION. Oh no, she said, mai dai ka. It is policy of the finance company (Thanachart and Tisco ...not tesco).

I said to the pretty young thing, wrong! Mitsu has already approved my financing through Thanachart and they only require 20% downpayment with Thai guarantor or %25 down, with NO guarantor. SO it is not their policy, it is YOUR policy.

Ka! She says. She sees falangs buying cars? Ka! Cash or financing? Cash ka! Why discriminate? Silence.

Wife told her it was wrong, blah blah, gave her the mother hen speech and we left.

Sorry Honda, sorry Nissan (previous story). Now between Vios and Attrage. Not much left. Chevrolet equally as bad.

Mazda next door to Honda is owned by Anuphas. We went there, no 50% or 30% required, only 25%, but not many options.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Someone did not read the post correctly. It is not the finance company's policy, it is Anuphas Honda's policy.

I was approved by the same finance company with zero issues.

We were extremely polite to her. Wife in particular. A little lesson in civics hurts no one.

Someone did not read the post correctly. It is not the finance company's policy, it is Anuphas Honda's policy.

We were extremely polite to her. Wife in particular. A little lesson in civics hurts no one.

Someone did not remember what they posted....

Oh no, she said, mai dai ka. It is policy of the finance company (Thanachart and Tisco ...not tesco).

So, which is it?? In any case, it is still not the "pretty young thing's" fault.

Personally, I agree with the policy. Try thinking about how hard it is to chase defaulted payments when the 'farang' leaves the country (and his wife) for whatever reason.

totster :)

• Like 2

I think this is the last place to expect any sympathy when trying to relay a frustrating situation.

The terms you thought were quoted at 49k down payment and 7200k per month works out to about 650,000 baht. I am curious to know what the list price was for the car. In other words, how much would the financing cost? I hear that that is the main money maker for these sales people.

BTW, I have seen a couple of times here when people use "circa" to refer to a price. Circa is only used for dates, especially years to mean that someone has approximated the year when something happened.

• Like 1

Oh no, she said, mai dai ka. It is policy of the finance company (Thanachart and Tisco ...not tesco).

So, which is it?? In any case, it is still not the "pretty young thing's" fault.

Personally, I agree with the policy. Try thinking about how hard it is to chase defaulted payments when the 'farang' leaves the country (and his wife) for whatever reason.

totster smile.png

Maybe try to read? The sales girl said 'it is the finance company's policy', which was contradicted by the finance company themselves, by already approving a loan to the OP for a different car.

• Like 2

I think this is the last place to expect any sympathy when trying to relay a frustrating situation.

The terms you thought were quoted at 49k down payment and 7200k per month works out to about 650,000 baht. I am curious to know what the list price was for the car. In other words, how much would the financing cost? I hear that that is the main money maker for these sales people.

BTW, I have seen a couple of times here when people use "circa" to refer to a price. Circa is only used for dates, especially years to mean that someone has approximated the year when something happened.

Ok, the grammar police is out.

ABOUT 7200k a month. Price was about 620k..about.

The 49k downpayment was for Thais only. My down payment (sorry, space between down and payment) was about 150k.

In comparison, my down payment (space between down and payment) is 75k for the bottom of the line Vios j...

In comparison, my down payment (space between down and payment) is 89k for the Attrage.

I went there Circa 2014.

• Like 1

Ok, the grammar police is out.

ABOUT 7200k a month. Price was about 620k..about.

The 49k downpayment was for Thais only. My down payment (sorry, space between down and payment) was about 150k.

In comparison, my down payment (space between down and payment) is 75k for the bottom of the line Vios j...

In comparison, my down payment (space between down and payment) is 89k for the Attrage.

I went there Circa 2014.

So, the list price on a Brio Amaze is 620,000 and they would only make about 30K on the financing. That is surprising both ways.

As for the "grammar police" remark, sorry. I thought you were honestly misusing the word, and I was sincerely trying to help. It has apparently upset you much more that I would have imagined, and I will make a note to never remark about your choice of words again.

Edited by Brevity

OP........I do sympathize when trying to relay a frustrating situation..... I am presently in the exact same situation here in Pattaya, difference is Honda city vs Toyota altos, the games they play with us is ridiculous but true, Every question asked had to be verified, re-verified again. I think we finally have settled on the Honda. I can't own a credit card without putting a secure amount equal to the card limit in this country, I have to put extra down on a car,(with a co-sign) even tho she earns far less than I am worth just in verified pension money. I have credit cards that far exceed the full purchase of the car from the states. Yet we still get treated like a worthless, homeless 3rd class citizens.

p.s. It was also very frustrating to be told I knew more about the product and options the car had then they did..........! I wish us BOTH Luck.........

• Like 1

Oh get over it canopus,some people buy a Honda Wave on 48 month and pay double the amount of the cash price.

However, I think it is understable that a foreigner has to pay a higher down payment because often they disappear and right now the second hand market for young cars (1-3 years) is very slow. The prices are down! Because it is relatively cheap to lent money for a car, as some or most companies subsidies the credit.

Even amongst Thais there are different rates for a credit.

Example; physician, dentist, pharmacist, commercial pilot, judge and attorney get usually a better rate, seen in a leaflet from Kasikorn.

Even government worker or postal employees gets often a lower down payment because the risk is also lower.

What finance rate and term are you getting from Honda?

What finance rate and term are you getting from Mitsu?

Differences in either could very well explain why a different downpayment % is required.

I did it all from memory...however, I have the papers and will type the prices correctly.

Honda Brio Amaze low model.

156k deposit 30%, down from usual 50% for farangs..Thais can pay 49k deposit.

361k finance 3.20% 84 months 5300 per month

361k finance 2.75% 72 months 5900 per month

extras...1 year insurance, door visor, side step, back sensors, gas 500 baht

Mitsu Attrage, top model GTS LTD (not the ralli version).

20% deposit 116k

Finance 465k

72 months, 3.05%, 7600k per month

84 months, 3.40%, 6800k per month

Car reg 3k, 500 for something else, total deposit 119k, Minus 35k dep discount, deposit needed to drive car is 85k

Extras are film, car cover, 1 year car insurance, 500 baht gas and some other stuff I cannot read.

Toyota Vios, low model J.

20% depo, 117k

Finance 471.

72 months at 8k per month

84 months at 7200 per month

Downpayment 117k, 600 for something else, 2800 for reg, 2000 depo for red tags and 800 for revenue..124k. 35k discount for deposit,

drive car with 89k deposit plus free Note 3. If you do not want Note 3, they discount a further 15k for deposit. I drive car for 75k.

At the moment, I am leaving towards the Attrage. It has everything inside for the same price as the Vios, which has basic stuff and no abs brakes.

I test drove the Attrage...not much aceleration, seats smaller than the Vios.

I will test drive the Vios this week and then decide.

Big Skip, i cant understand that. We have an American Retired Ex Navy Guy who nipped down to Nissan and bought one on his U.S. Credit Card, they bought it, a small eco something to the Car Wash where we drink 3.30. Am next day. O.K hes been here ages and has Wife n Kid but they didnt even ask,just House book and Credit Clearance from U.S. Mind You i wouldn't argue with Him, hes Mad, and sitting next to me now.thumbsup.gif .Oh its an Almeira he just shouted back from the Fridge.clap2.gif

• Like 1

Big Skip, i cant understand that. We have an American Retired Ex Navy Guy who nipped down to Nissan and bought one on his U.S. Credit Card, they bought it, a small eco something to the Car Wash where we drink 3.30. Am next day. O.K hes been here ages and has Wife n Kid but they didnt even ask,just House book and Credit Clearance from U.S. Mind You i wouldn't argue with Him, hes Mad, and sitting next to me now.thumbsup.gif .Oh its an Almeira he just shouted back from the Fridge.clap2.gif

Ah, thanks for reminding me, my fridge is empty, time to start the Toyota....intheclub.gif.pagespeed.ce.TVIbELwsxN.gi

• Like 1

I had a terrible time with Honda as well. I was thinking of buying an Amaze or a Mitsubishi Attrage. My experience in Honda went like this :-

1. Can I have a discount - NO

2. Can I have free insurance - NO

3. Can I test drive the car - NO

4. Do you have the car i want available - NO.

The Mitsubishi garage said YES to all of these and threw in a load of freebies as well. They got the order.

BTW i rented the new Vios for a test drive and i feel the Attrage is just as good and much cheaper for the same spec.

Ah, thanks for reminding me, my fridge is empty, time to start the Toyota....intheclub.gif.pagespeed.ce.TVIbELwsxN.gi

Don't drink drive in the Bentley? :P

What finance rate and term are you getting from Honda?

What finance rate and term are you getting from Mitsu?

Differences in either could very well explain why a different downpayment % is required.

I did it all from memory...however, I have the papers and will type the prices correctly.

Honda Brio Amaze low model.

156k deposit 30%, down from usual 50% for farangs..Thais can pay 49k deposit.

361k finance 3.20% 84 months 5300 per month

361k finance 2.75% 72 months 5900 per month

extras...1 year insurance, door visor, side step, back sensors, gas 500 baht

Mitsu Attrage, top model GTS LTD (not the ralli version).

20% deposit 116k

Finance 465k

72 months, 3.05%, 7600k per month

84 months, 3.40%, 6800k per month

Car reg 3k, 500 for something else, total deposit 119k, Minus 35k dep discount, deposit needed to drive car is 85k

Extras are film, car cover, 1 year car insurance, 500 baht gas and some other stuff I cannot read.

Toyota Vios, low model J.

20% depo, 117k

Finance 471.

72 months at 8k per month

84 months at 7200 per month

Downpayment 117k, 600 for something else, 2800 for reg, 2000 depo for red tags and 800 for revenue..124k. 35k discount for deposit,

drive car with 89k deposit plus free Note 3. If you do not want Note 3, they discount a further 15k for deposit. I drive car for 75k.

At the moment, I am leaving towards the Attrage. It has everything inside for the same price as the Vios, which has basic stuff and no abs brakes.

I test drove the Attrage...not much aceleration, seats smaller than the Vios.

I will test drive the Vios this week and then decide.

Differences in interest rates are only small, but do go part the way to explain it - add that to the probability that the Honda dealer wants more finance commission than the Mitsu dealer, the possibility the Honda dealer might have a bad track record financing defaulters, and the surety that they think you've got the money to pay 30% down anyway, and you've got your explanation for their policy... ;)

totster smile.png

Maybe try to read? The sales girl said 'it is the finance company's policy', which was contradicted by the finance company themselves, by already approving a loan to the OP for a different car.

You are wrong. No one knows what terms and conditions have been offered to the different dealers by the finance company, it's just an assumption made by the OP to justify his outrage. The finance company have contradicted nothing.

totster smile.png

Edited by Totster

30-50% would be par for the course for a foreigner with no credit history. Have you owned and paid off a car yourself? Just put it in your wife's name and get the low rate. The car won't be worth a lot in 5 years anyway, so no matter if it's in your wife's name anyway. Or just pay more down and pay less overall interest.

• Like 1

The Honda Sales Folk are O.K. Please have at least some finance,i need the Commission , honest enough. So Wife's Sister caved in and took 450 K on her Accord, i just glared at Mrs Pop i hate credit. No discount even on 2 Cars , its not USA here. Got nothing off my Civic last year either.sad.png .