Can Thai Visa control trolls?

wicketkeeper

• Replies 239
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

What a trolling topic. Trying to invite discussions of moderation too. Shame.

Some people just enjoy sailing close to the wind.

I still don't know the word for a thing which is a prime example of the thing that it describes, but this thread would be one, whatever the word is.

SC

• Like 2

What a trolling topic. Trying to invite discussions of moderation too. Shame.

Some people just enjoy sailing close to the wind.

I still don't know the word for a thing which is a prime example of the thing that it describes, but this thread would be one, whatever the word is.

SC

Sh*t ?

Don't think so, I have been accused of being a troll a few times, even by the powers that be, when in fact I didn't realise my posts were construed as being trolling. sad.png

its an easy out for weak minded individuals....not talking about the general members.

• Like 2

I would seem to me that the roots of the words are misunderstood. I don't bleive it comes from the mythical animal that lives under bridges but the method of fishing. Though now it would seem the former is used as a subtext.

so those who use the word actually often don't understand the meaning and think it silly means "someone who disagrees with them"

Edited by wilcopops
  • Like 1

In my mind ThaiVista is infested with trolls. Bullies who get their kicks by making others feel uncomfortable.

The problem is that trolls quickly drive away the more constructive posters and pretty soon you are left with nothing but trolls.

If the mods stamped on those who enjoy being pricks, T.V. would be a much friendlier and useful place.

nice, friendly post!

• Like 2

Nowadays I think the mods already have their hands full dealing with the anti-government and red shirts throwing insults at each other.

Trolls are relatively harmless compared to aggressive and argumentative posters who seem to find it difficult to accept that others have different opinions from theirs.

Trolls usually just bait us, sit back and have fun watching us feed the troll.

• Like 1

im a severe troll and I wasnt always like this I was quite the opposite.

I was constantly spoken to extremely rudely by people all over the net

now it is a true pleasure to torture these people

especially after a troll drove my mother to commit suicide, the baby boomer generation are most at risk on computers, for obvious reasons

Nowadays I think the mods already have their hands full dealing with the anti-government and red shirts throwing insults at each other.

Trolls are relatively harmless compared to aggressive and argumentative posters who seem to find it difficult to accept that others have different opinions from theirs.

Trolls usually just bait us, sit back and have fun watching us feed the troll.

Good trolling is a form of art.....

• Like 1

Some people think a forum is somewhere they can put up a post giving their view and then they own the topic. They feel they have said everything and that no one should need to reply as they are right. This may well be but without replies the topic goes to past page 4 within a few hours and no one ever reads it again as they do not even know it exists. Without posts a topic dies. Without Topics and post a forum dies.

A forum is not like a noticeboard at a supermaket where you are allowed to put up a notice. It is a converesation.

• Like 2

Some people think a forum is somewhere they can put up a post giving their view and then they own the topic. They feel they have said everything and that no one should need to reply as they are right. This may well be but without replies the topic goes to past page 4 within a few hours and no one ever reads it again as they do not even know it exists. Without posts a topic dies. Without Topics and post a forum dies.

A forum is not like a noticeboard at a supermaket where you are allowed to put up a notice. It is a converesation.

If you write a letter it will eventually decompose, if you say something it will disappear after you say it.....if you take a photo, it will fade, write a book it will disintegrate...........

If you put something on the internet, it is there FOREVER....so long as cyberspace exists your comments are there.

So will someone define "troll"???? - I think not!

Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

For example, "I think not." Would be antagonistic.

possible some of the trolling is to keep the "community" hit count going

remember if there's no membership fee YOU are the product

Take a look at Google Trends with keywords "thaivisa forum"... Interest over time is steadily decreasing coffee1.gif

Looks like there's bit increased interest probably related to political issues, but otherwise lower interest in the 2nd half of the time frame shown compared to the first half.

post-145917-0-52864200-1392783802_thumb.

I would seem to me that the roots of the words are misunderstood. I don't bleive it comes from the mythical animal that lives under bridges but the method of fishing. Though now it would seem the former is used as a subtext.

so those who use the word actually often don't understand the meaning and think it silly means "someone who disagrees with them"

I disagree with you how ever I do not consider you a troll just some one with a different opinion than mine. This is a subject unlike politics where we have definite facts to work with. Such as we know the Government owes rice farmers a lot of money.

Now a troll would say the money has all been paid.

I consider a troll some one putting up inane post to merely get responses that are directly opposite to their statement. They are not looking for confirmation of it.

• Like 1

The 'news' forum is a cesspit of idiots repeating the same 5 clichéd arguments. Half the time im not sure if someone is being serious, or satirical in their post.

.................... I have noticed some of them disappearing only to come up again under another name. I think it is the moderators giving them a certain amount of rope and then pulling the chair out from under them.......

Yes exactly. Like hellodolly and northernjohn for example.

I just thought of a perfect example of a troll. He how evedr does not post on Thai Visa but if he did Chalerm would be a perfect example. With all his I am going to do such and such a thing in three months and the one I liked was the one where he said he was going to cut of his head.

That would be Thai Visa trolism at it's best.

Personally I haven't seen any hard evidence of deliberate and malicious trolling on TVF. Not to say that there hasn't been any at all,.. just saying it appears very limited and in other cases some of the "antagonistic" remarks are either innocent or intended in good humor IMO.

Unlike on Youtube where the trolling is in epic proportions. I recently was harangued by some guy in the UK that made a semi-hostile remark on one of my comments. I countered it and we had a little debate in which I politely established some facts even though he was cussing and calling me all the vile names possible. I thought it ended on an even note but then only days later he commented on a separate thread and again calling names and criticizing my opinion and making personal jibes.

This continued to a point when I realized that this guy was a sociopath and derived great delight from arguing with and berating and harassing other people. I checked into all his recent comments and all had been responses he had made to other peoples comments and all were antagonistic and hostile. Not one comment was from him directly expressing an opinion or making any contribution.

After doing a little Googling I found out how to block him in both YT and G+ as well as being able to delete any comments on comment threads I had started. Since then all has been quite on the western front.

The best advice is to not feed the trolls and as soon as you encounter one, either leave the "conversation" or block or report abuse and dont play their game any more.

Peace on guys!

Edited by falangadang
  • Like 1

Inflammatory reported Troll post removed:

In using Thai Visa I agree:

1) To respect fellow members.

5) Not to post inflammatory messages on the forum, or attempt to disrupt discussions to upset its participants, or trolling.Trolling can be defined as the act of purposefully antagonizing other people on the internet by posting controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional response or to generally disrupt normal on-topic discussion.

7) Not to post slurs or degrading comments directed towards any group on the basis of race, nationality, religion, gender or sexual orientation.

Maybe instead of only a "Like this" button we could add a "thumbs down" button to encourage people who are too lazy to think of an intelligent civilized reply to vent their disagreement via the button instead of having to waste minutes reading through what I thought was going to have substance but is nothing more then inflammatory and irrelevant rants.

BP does it and it seems to cuts out alot of the garbage.

Edited by smileydude

Don't know if I would attribute it to "trolling", but since the current political troubles flared up, the TV forums have often resembled 'live fire zones'. Everybody has an opinion. I have found the IGNORE feature to be very useful, and it helps in speeding through some of the more incendiary topics.