Shopping in Bangkok

neil98

For $5, I'd gladly provide a list of, let's say, 10 places in Bangkok where you'll find nothing that your wife would even consider buying. It would be the best $5 you ever spent.

Smutcakes is right. The only tourists that find good deals on high end stuff in Bangkok are the ones from countries with even more punitive import duties than Thailand. Glasgow isn't in one of those countries.

If you want to find some decent deals on low end and possibly counterfeit stuff, I'd suggest MBK mall at the BTS National Stadium station, or Chatuchuk weekend market at the BTS Mo Chit station.

Every tourist needs to hit both of those places just to say they did.

And if you are really a glutton for punishment, walk a few blocks from MBK to a series of high end malls at BTS Siam and BTS Chit Lom stations. Bring money. Lots of it.

Edited by impulse

Best advice I or any other forum member could possibly give you is leave the wife at home and come alone, you'll save tons of money and have loads more fun too. Take at least a half day to visit the Royal Palace and a few temples, because that's of course where you'll be telling your wife you spent all of your time... Oh and book into the Nana Hotel.

Thanks all for the advice on the Shopping,,appreciate it very much,,,as for leaving the wife at home,to be honest Thai birds dont do it for me,,,South American Women rock my boat,,my wife is a very sexy 26 year old Brazilian with the firmest tits and ass this side of the Equator so she will be coming with me,,,cheers.

Living in Bangkok and having recently been to London I can tell you that London is much better than Bangkok in terms of variety, quality and prices. MBK is a tourist trap full of low quality garbage that you'll pay a premium for because you're a tourist. I'm sure you can find fake stuff in Glasgow if you really want it. It'll be better quality than what you find in MBK.

• Like 2

Thanks all for the advice on the Shopping,,appreciate it very much,,,as for leaving the wife at home,to be honest Thai birds dont do it for me,,,South American Women rock my boat,,my wife is a very sexy 26 year old Brazilian with the firmest tits and ass this side of the Equator so she will be coming with me,,,cheers.

Nice to see you hold her in such high esteem.

• Like 1

Mrs bought a handbag in the Uk for thirty quid, same one here 70 quid.

Perfume cheaper in the UK, dont bother buying here or in any of the duty free rip off shops.

Shoes and clothing cheaper and better quality in the UK.

If you mrs wants to go shopping take her to John Lewis, will be cheaper than here.

If you want to stroll around in the heat and humidity browsing for low quality crap head to Pratunam market.

In the same area Platinum market, upscale crap.

If you want a taste of Bkk at night take a wander along Suk rd and marvel at the junk on display.

Dont even bother with the (in)famous Patpong night market, you can buy the same stuff cheaper in most shopping malls.

Edited by rgs2001uk

Best advice I or any other forum member could possibly give you is leave the wife at home and come alone, you'll save tons of money and have loads more fun too. Take at least a half day to visit the Royal Palace and a few temples, because that's of course where you'll be telling your wife you spent all of your time... Oh and book into the Nana Hotel.

my you certainly seem to know how to live the life.

id bet most men want to be just like you.

• Like 1

Bangkok does has some great value fashion shopping with many unique designs - just not on the posh malls. After you get bored of the rows of knock off t-shirts in MBK go out over the footbridge and stroll around Siam Square.

There's market style little boutiques with clothes from local designers. 'Little Siam' is one of the best row of stalls.

Then go to Terminal 21 at Asoke and visit the many small designer shops.

Max dress size will be a UK 8 or 10 or perhaps 12 but sounds like that will not be a problem.

Sent from my C6902 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Best advice I or any other forum member could possibly give you is leave the wife at home and come alone, you'll save tons of money and have loads more fun too. Take at least a half day to visit the Royal Palace and a few temples, because that's of course where you'll be telling your wife you spent all of your time... Oh and book into the Nana Hotel

Speak for yourself!

Not everyone who visits Thailand is a sex tourist!

People are interested in culture... Relaxing and enjoying their vacation with their wife or partner !

Bangkok does has some great value fashion shopping with many unique designs - just not on the posh malls. After you get bored of the rows of knock off t-shirts in MBK go out over the footbridge and stroll around Siam Square.

There's market style little boutiques with clothes from local designers. 'Little Siam' is one of the best row of stalls.

Max dress size will be a UK 8 or 10 or perhaps 12 but sounds like that will not be a problem.

This is a very valid and good point- I did not even think of this due to my complete lack of fashion or interest in it, but people have told me this before and have seen in Terminal 21 there are many small start up design and fashion shops. You never know you may pick up some bits and bobs from some nothing new label which turns out to be the next Louis Vuitton.

It really depends what kind of shopping

I think in places like London you get high end and also high street fashions, which are reasonably priced for the west and good quality

MBK is not too bad, chatuchak is a good place to visit regardless (weekends, of course) and Pratunam even if she can take the hustle bustle

This is a very valid and good point- I did not even think of this due to my complete lack of fashion or interest in it, but people have told me this before and have seen in Terminal 21 there are many small start up design and fashion shops. You never know you may pick up some bits and bobs from some nothing new label which turns out to be the next Louis Vuitton.

The next "Louis Vuitton" coming out of Thailand? You must be having a laugh... When did Thailand EVER invent ANYTHING? And when did any Thai brand ever become world-renowned? Don't say "Red Bull" because that only happened because it was bought out by an Austrian company, and by the way it's a terrible unhealthy drink that can give you a heart attack.

The next "Louis Vuitton" coming out of Thailand? You must be having a laugh... When did Thailand EVER invent ANYTHING? And when did any Thai brand ever become world-renowned? Don't say "Red Bull" because that only happened because it was bought out by an Austrian company, and by the way it's a terrible unhealthy drink that can give you a heart attack.

Well there may be no Thai hovercraft or Concorde - but there's some great fashion designs you can see in Siam Square or Terminal 21 and some of the shops in T 21are run by small local designers looking for global dealers. (There's also unique food dishes in Thailand). Looking for a Thai Dyson is failing to recognize local talent by ignoring the cultural differences .... in my view anyway.

I am visiting for the first time with my wife in April.Where is best for her to go shopping

Central Pinklao has a huge shopping mall with about four floors of shops. If you get a taxi anywhere in Bangkok ask for the "meter" as you will get some taxi drivers asking for a (more expressive) price up front. For reference from Khao San to Pinklao which about is about a mile and a half it's 50 baht (about 90p). Tuk tuk drivers seems to be more picky probably because a lot of tourists like the novelty factor of riding tuk tuk but again will try and rip you off. Learn to barter in Thailand as you will do it a lot. :)

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

I am visiting for the first time with my wife in April.Where is best for her to go shopping

Central Pinklao has a huge shopping mall with about four floors of shops. If you get a taxi anywhere in Bangkok ask for the "meter" as you will get some taxi drivers asking for a (more expressive) price up front. For reference from Khao San to Pinklao which about is about a mile and a half it's 50 baht (about 90p). Tuk tuk drivers seems to be more picky probably because a lot of tourists like the novelty factor of riding tuk tuk but again will try and rip you off. Learn to barter in Thailand as you will do it a lot. smile.png

I think you mean "haggle", not "barter". What you said means you would agree to wash the guy's tuk-tuk if he would take you for free from Khao San to Pinklao, or perhaps you'd allow him to have 10 minutes in a darkened room with your wife in exchange for the same service. As I don't have a wife, I prefer to haggle instead of bartering. It's surprising the number of places in BKK where you can haggle your way to a much more attractive price. A few months ago, I decided to start haggling at 7-Eleven and in my local shop I now always get a big bottle of Chang for 35 baht instead of 44 baht every time. The girl on the counter adds the other 9 baht out of her own pocket. Feeling a bit sorry for her now, because at the rate I drink Chang, this must have cost her a few thousand baht already, though I don't think she's keeping track of it. There are few places in BKK where you can't haggle. In restaurants, carry a dead fly in your pocket to add to the food when you're finished eating, a great aid to successful haggling.