Rice-pledging scheme: a death trap for govt and farmers

webfact

This is what happens when you try to buy votes without any risk assessment or knowledge of the market place, a knee jerk scheme, relying on a whim and a prayer, the only thing good that could be said about this scheme is that it has created a Death Wish for the PTP Administration, bad management has no place in politics with peoples money or in this case no money , both sides only have themselves to blame ,however pressure would have been applied for farmers to except this shonky scheme and of course they are the losers at this point, if it sounds to good to be true , it probably isn't true.bah.gif

An ignorant policy with corruption as its aim. This was never a policy aimed at helping the POOR farmers, many of whom are too small to participate, but a policy to benefit big farmers, millers, warehousemen, money lenders and the middlemen as well as huge corruption for the perpetrators of the policy.

If they wanted to help poor farmers this was never the way to do it. Pheu Thai are traitors to Thailand and should be treated as such.

Shame also on the Democrats whose myopic policies have still not been thought through to provide a balance which include every sector of society. History will show the huge opportunity they have wasted here because of their own selfish ideas.

As for Yingluck and her team running around trying to lay the blame at everyone's feet except her own where the responsibility actually lies, it is sad the average Thai cannot see the wood for the trees and soak up the wrapping paper around the pile of Doo Doo that is PT.

And now Yingluck is after forcing the AOT to deposit funds to cover what her corruption has lost for Thailand and screw the shareholders much like the attempt to get the GSB to bail her out, my goodness isn't it all so obvious?

"Shame also on the Democrats whose myopic policies"

I'm just wondering what the Democrat's "myopic" polices were? They had a rice policy that went directly to the farmer and didn't get syphoned off by the millers and middle men. In a survey in the north, the Democrat policies were actually preferred. What other "selfish" ideas did they have?

• Like 1

Around here the paddy is mostly in the seed head stage (rice grain) and will be due for harvest I would think in the next month.

Some has already been harvested and as I get around the small sois between the paddy I wonder what is going to happen to all these tons of rice when they are harvested.

I would think the farmers are going to be very reluctant to entrust any to the pledging scheme again and they certainly cant keep the stuff so I guess it only leaves selling privately to the millers or traders for whatever they can get, which could well leave them in a loss situation, still they will have some money on hand hopefully enough to pay off any debts and keep them going. But going till when and to what ?

The new seasons rice being sold privately will mean that the Govt trying to sell the stockpiles will be in direct competition with the farmers, lowering prices even farther.

An ignorant policy with corruption as its aim. This was never a policy aimed at helping the POOR farmers, many of whom are too small to participate, but a policy to benefit big farmers, millers, warehousemen, money lenders and the middlemen as well as huge corruption for the perpetrators of the policy.

If they wanted to help poor farmers this was never the way to do it. Pheu Thai are traitors to Thailand and should be treated as such.

Shame also on the Democrats whose myopic policies have still not been thought through to provide a balance which include every sector of society. History will show the huge opportunity they have wasted here because of their own selfish ideas.

As for Yingluck and her team running around trying to lay the blame at everyone's feet except her own where the responsibility actually lies, it is sad the average Thai cannot see the wood for the trees and soak up the wrapping paper around the pile of Doo Doo that is PT.

And now Yingluck is after forcing the AOT to deposit funds to cover what her corruption has lost for Thailand and screw the shareholders much like the attempt to get the GSB to bail her out, my goodness isn't it all so obvious?

I'm just wondering what the Democrat's "myopic" polices were? They had a rice policy that went directly to the farmer and didn't get syphoned off by the millers and middle men. In a survey in the north, the Democrat policies were actually preferred. What other "selfish" ideas did they have?

I was wondering that to and as the poster seems to have inside knowledge of the Dems policies it would be great if he/she could detail them because I for one really would like to know.

To the best of my knowledge nothing has been announced publicly and to my way of thinking it is about time they, and all parties put their cards on the table and told the country just what they would do.

Far to much ; he did, she did, they did and nothing about what any of them would do to fix things.

• Like 1

The rice scheme must stop now. Let see how the farmers like them apples laugh.png

It does need to stop before more damage is done. Readjusting will already be difficult, since rice prices are now lower than when the scheme started and there's a massive stockpile to deal with which isn't going to help.

There are much better, sustainable ways to support farmers.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by Crushdepth
  • Like 1

The rice scheme must stop now. Let see how the farmers like them apples laugh.png

It does need to stop before more damage is done. Readjusting will already be difficult, since rice prices are now lower than when the scheme started and there's a massive stockpile to deal with which isn't going to help.

Yes, but not with Bangkokian tax payers money.

Please raise the fund locally.

Should have let the fluctuations of the market dictate prices. Millers are already rich (Chinese-Thai) and reaped much of the rice money given away. If the gov't wanted to supplement the meager income of rice farmers, then give them some sort of hand-out or coupon (like food stamps). Rice is just one crop in Thailand. Rice farmers were targeted because there are more of them than farmers of other individual crops, and therefore = more votes.

Rice is labor intensive, doesn't pay as well as other crops, and is marginally nutritious (it's about 99% starch). There are a slew of crops which pay better and are healthier - and which would grow v. well in Thailand.

• Like 1

the saddest part of all is that so many of the masses in the north east have such poor education and are easy pickings for Yingluck and the PT politicians who claim to love them so much.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

What a pathetic group the Democrats are appearing to be. There is nothing coming forward from them about what they would be doing now if they were in power. The country is in disarray, support for the Pheu Thai Party is at its lowest level in the provinces but the Democrats are quiet. Why? if they want to win an election at some time in the future then they'll need to win in the North.

Why are they so quiet?

• Like 1

Yes, but not with Bangkokian tax payers money.

Please raise the fund locally.

Why is it that only 'bangkokian's'pay tax?.Why should rice farmers be payed a pittance for thier rice while the middle men make all the profit?why do they need middle men let them sell direct.

Edited by taff33

Around here the paddy is mostly in the seed head stage (rice grain) and will be due for harvest I would think in the next month.

Some has already been harvested and as I get around the small sois between the paddy I wonder what is going to happen to all these tons of rice when they are harvested.

I would think the farmers are going to be very reluctant to entrust any to the pledging scheme again and they certainly cant keep the stuff so I guess it only leaves selling privately to the millers or traders for whatever they can get, which could well leave them in a loss situation, still they will have some money on hand hopefully enough to pay off any debts and keep them going. But going till when and to what ?

The new seasons rice being sold privately will mean that the Govt trying to sell the stockpiles will be in direct competition with the farmers, lowering prices even farther.

Indeed - they are in a tough position because they were gouged by suppliers/landlords knowing they'd get a higher price for their rice.

Costs increased but now it looks as if the actual revenue will be way below expectations.

Very tough indeed.

Free basic medical care, lower food price inflation., etc....

Edited by Mosha

If the rice-pledging scheme was meant as true subsidies to assist farmers financially until they were efficient enough to increase their harvest yield/acre productivity enough to compete with advanced agricultural countries I'm all for it.

Japan is well known to subsidize its agricultural industry because due to the weather and landscape they can only harvest once or twice a year. Most Thai harvests can be done 3 times a year but if farmers become complacent on free hand outs and do not try to improve the quality and quantity of yields through efficient farming techniques they will in the long run lose out especially with the emerging AEC markets and FTA's on their heels.

The NACC has already pressed charges against Yingluck for neglect of duty and is considering an impeachment case. She is due to be summoned on Feb. 27th.

Edited by smileydude

The Government "planned to cut the price or reduce the pledging volume, only to face opposition even from the Democrat Party. Even though the Democrats hated the policy, they said the Pheu Thai Party must not change it for the sake of farmers."

If there are charges of corruption, shouldn't they also be applied against the Democrats who were complicit and participatory in the rice program going forward unaltered?

The Government "planned to cut the price or reduce the pledging volume, only to face opposition even from the Democrat Party. Even though the Democrats hated the policy, they said the Pheu Thai Party must not change it for the sake of farmers."

If there are charges of corruption, shouldn't they also be applied against the Democrats who were complicit and participatory in the rice program going forward unaltered?

NO

They had no part in the implementing of the scheme and were laughed at when they exposed corruption in the scheme in 2 censure debates.

They were even threatened with trespass when a Dem MP produced and opened a sack of rotten rice in the house.

They did what they could as a minority opposition and were ignored.

• Like 1

The pledged price of rice, even though higher than market, to my mind is not so bad......it's a rural subsidy which many countries apply to the farming industry.

Managed properly, it possibly could have been sustainable and actually benefited the rural folk.

The faults of the scheme has been in the management....there hasn't been any which is abundantly clear!

Warning signs and genuine advice were ignored, and the graft spiralled out of control until it got the the state it is now at.

Politicians should never be allowed to manage any form of state enterprise.

Thai Air is another glaring example about to fall victim to the same management principles.

Warning signs were not ignored. The PTP did consider changing the program but the Democrats objected. Now the Democrats hypocritically insist the fault of the program lies entirely with the PTP government. I have never seen a government overthorwn for making bad decisions, sure such government become vulnerable in the next elections against charges of inefficiency. But in Thailand the accusation of corruption seems to be a convenient catch-all for everything politicians oppose.

The pledged price of rice, even though higher than market, to my mind is not so bad......it's a rural subsidy which many countries apply to the farming industry.

Managed properly, it possibly could have been sustainable and actually benefited the rural folk.

The faults of the scheme has been in the management....there hasn't been any which is abundantly clear!

Warning signs and genuine advice were ignored, and the graft spiralled out of control until it got the the state it is now at.

Thai Air is another glaring example about to fall victim to the same management principles.

Warning signs were not ignored. The PTP did consider changing the program but the Democrats objected. Now the Democrats hypocritically insist the fault of the program lies entirely with the PTP government. I have never seen a government overthorwn for making bad decisions, sure such government become vulnerable in the next elections against charges of inefficiency. But in Thailand the accusation of corruption seems to be a convenient catch-all for everything politicians oppose.

Another load of bull.

The farmers objected, and Yingluck and PT backed down.

So your argument is that the PTP was corrupt by developing a program intended to help Democrat supporters. Yet the Democrats are blaming the government as corrupt for using the rice program as a means to buy poor farmer votes. Seems there has to be some misrepresentations being made about the program with regard to corruption. It's more like, "If it's my corruption, it's okay but if it's your corruption, it's not okay."

Democrats objected?

Any proof?

Unfortunately for the farmers, Thailand cannot domestically absorb all the current rice stock at any price and must put rice on the international marketplace - farmers are not themselves capable to make bulk international sales. International buyers know there is now a glut of Thailand rice resulting from delays in sales and will take advantage of the glut to drive down the prices even further. To make matters worse, another harvest is on its way. Farmers might be better off to plow under, or whatever is the procedure, current rice production or donate it to the Monks. Regardless of this epic disaster, who is trying to make matters better for the farmers? They need rice sales, not sympathy, not political support, not finger-pointing; those things don't pay bills and feed the family.