iPhone 5 (second-hand) prices around Thailand

triffid

Hi

I am in the course of travelling in Thailand and will be in Khonkein, Udon, Changmai & Bangkok in the coming days. I want to buy a second-hand iPhone 5. Can I take it as a given that MBK, Bangkok - rather than any provincial shopping centre - would be the best place to buy it on all relevant criteria, namely reliability, price and available range?

[also posted in BKK forum]

You can trade-in an iPhone 5-16 GB for 10,800 Baht at Truemove. Guess the going price for a 1 year old iPhone 5-16 GB will be around 12,000 Baht. A new iPhone 5C does 13,700 Baht with 3G+/4G package at Truemove. A 5C is basically a 5 with a new case!

I think BKK is the place as loads and loads of Thai people living in Bangkok fancy iPhones so the supply will be good.

Edited by aidenai

The price you mention for the iPhone 5c bears no resemblance to the 19,900 baht I've just seen on Apple's thai online shop. So I'm confused.

Someone on a different forum is warning against the high risk of buying second-hand, at mbk or anywhere else in Thailand. Yet your logic about MBK, supply etc - not to mention MBK's need not to ruin its reputation and therefore its mobiles business - makes sense to me.

I need a second iPhone (with its own sim) to use when I travel and either an iPhone 5 or an iPhone 4s will be fine - the cheaper the better so long as it is a sound item; I'd prefer the 5 if the price difference isn't huge.

I don't think there is gonna be much of a difference in price wherever it is in Thailand the only difference being that at MBK you have a slightly higher chance of finding a cheaper second but expect to pay about 15 for a 5 or 8-10 for a 4s also bear in mind a 5 is discontinued so that may bump up the price slightly, if ur traveling maybe just a 4 would do ya incase you lose it and u should pick one up for about 6k

I don't think there is gonna be much of a difference in price wherever it is in Thailand the only difference being that at MBK you have a slightly higher chance of finding a cheaper second but expect to pay about 15 for a 5 or 8-10 for a 4s also bear in mind a 5 is discontinued so that may bump up the price slightly, if ur traveling maybe just a 4 would do ya incase you lose it and u should pick one up for about 6k

Many thanks for the info and comments.

Yes, probably the 4 will serve the purpose. As an ancillary query, since I have to use the nano sim I'd bought & was using in Europe and would use it in the 4, is there any downside to using it with the adaptors available to buy here?

On the price for the 5, I thought its not being available new would bring down not bump up its second hand price; and if you're right then is the 4 price being similarly bumped up because it isn't sold new any longer?

On buying at MBK, are prices for a given model standardised across the shops? Is there room for bargaining down the asking price?

Edited by triffid

Many thanks for the info and comments.

Yes, probably the 4 will serve the purpose. As an ancillary query, since I have to use the nano sim I'd bought & was using in Europe and would use it in the 4, is there any downside to using it with the adaptors available to buy here?

On the price for the 5, I thought its not being available new would bring down not bump up its second hand price; and if you're right then is the 4 price being similarly bumped up because it isn't sold new any longer?

On buying at MBK, are prices for a given model standardised across the shops? Is there room for bargaining down the asking price?

Are you using a europen sim over here, thats gonna get costly with roamin charges, if you are using a thai sim if you wanted to you could swap the nano for a micro at any store but i cannot comment on the adapter as im still on a trusty 4s, shoping in MBK they genrally aer standardised in price give or take a few hunderd baht unless you get real lucky

I have a thai sim in my iPhone 5. I had been inserting an european sim (french and english) when there. I want a second mobile for the latter purpose and thus leave the thai sim permanently in the 5.

Thanks again for the info on prices. Just a couple of supplementaries: 1) Is the issue of condition (e.g. battery or functioning generally) a pure gamble or is MBK a better bet than elsewhere - on the basis that it has a reputation to safeguard? 2) I suppose obvious alternative shops to buy at would be those at the other main shopping centres in Bangkok (or Chiangmai, where I will soon be), 3) Presumably the refurbished model is worth paying extra for but are these refurbishments done by Apple or Apple-authorised?

I may be making too much of a song and dance over this, maybe I should just pick up something and hope for the best :)

Hi, use this as a comparison for new prices, this firm will deliver as well.

http://www.lazada.co.th/shop-smartphones/apple/

They sometimes have refurbished iPhones. A refurbished iPhone 4 is about 12,000 to 12,500 Bt

Thanks.

As a matter of fact I see a refurbished 4 on the site now. Do you have any info on what their 'refurbished' claim can be taken to mean?

Hi, use this as a comparison for new prices, this firm will deliver as well.

http://www.lazada.co.th/shop-smartphones/apple/

They sometimes have refurbished iPhones. A refurbished iPhone 4 is about 12,000 to 12,500 Bt

Wow thats strong, was looking at the local mall near my place and found a 4 at 7500 new sealed in the box

What does 'new sealed in the box' mean exactly? and how to relate this with your earlier post of the 4 at about 6k baht?

Also, I was wondering what the implications are of the models said to be "imported"

Dude you should just go get one man

You're right but I can't for a couple of days so just 'shooting the breeze' til then.

Edited by triffid

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

I've been resisting buying one of these out of principle and that every time I buy an expensive phone I drop it a swimming pool or get it nicked. but now my camera has packed up I look for a phone with a good camera on it, can any one tell me if there is much difference in quality of pics taken between the 4 , 4s and the 5

How much

I also sell an iphone 5 white (from Truemove-H Thailand, unlocked) if anyone interested PM me.

How much is that? am I right in thinking it will run 4G? this would probably make skype calls much clearer which is what I am after.. would you do a part ex with an iphone 4s and some cash or isit just cash you want? pls let me know and are you in BKK?

• 1 month later...

I am going to sell my almost new iphone 5@64 gb upgraded to latest IOS 8.00 . I bought it in bkk at price 29.5k , and I carried all bills , all original accessories with box .Apart , earphones I did not open it yet and still kept in the box untouched. I am selling in intend to buy an iphone 6 this week. Let me know , if someone need it. ;)