Foot Pegs Ilegal in Thailand ?

Chao Lao Beach

My friend got a "ticket" for the passenger foot pegs being unfolded while nobody was on back of his bike. Maybe your translation from the Thai blog is a bit off. It could be that is says "the foot rest for passengers is still down" (meaning unfolded).

...just another BS way to steal people's money!

• Like 1

Well if you are going to carry passengers they need the footrests down don't they?

I suspect either it is illegal for passengers to ride without there feet on the footrests or that in order to carry a passenger the motorcycle must have footrests for the passenger.

The Thai language is not always as precise as one would wish.

Edited by VocalNeal

Dot all your I's. Cross all your T's.

When it's your turn to pay some tea money, it's your turn. They'll get you for riding in the wrong lane- and it's tough to win the argument when it's your word against the guy with the gun and handcuffs.

• Like 1

Dot all your I's. Cross all your T's.

When it's your turn to pay some tea money, it's your turn. They'll get you for riding in the wrong lane- and it's tough to win the argument when it's your word against the guy with the gun and handcuffs.

And for that same reason, avoid the guys with the gun and handcuffs.

Well if you are going to carry passengers they need the footrests down don't they?

I suspect either it is illegal for passengers to ride without there feet on the footrests or that in order to carry a passenger the motorcycle must have footrests for the passenger.

The Thai language is not always as precise as one would wish.

If that was correct, every Somchai putting a child at risk on a bike should (rightly) be fined.

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Translation is a bit wrong there, the Thai says, "passenger foot pegs are not up."

I wasn't aware this was a law, but who knows....

As Andrew pointed out the translation is wrong.

"Passenger foot rests not up"

Is the correct translation.

Literal translation

"Place rest foot passenger not take up"

Edited by FiftyTwo

if you are a farang riding a vehicle, everything is illegal in Thailand!

Most of the road blocks I have been through in Pattaya on a bike, they wave farangs on and only stop Thais, the only exception is the Highway police road block where they stop all and there are tickets awarded for any violations, they check road tax and license.

Back on topic, I can understand that foot pegs should be up when no passenger, the click is a pain with its pegs being too far forward and easy to catch heel and everything on them.

• Like 1

I can sure understand why they have to be up but what about those 4wd pickup trucks with extended exhaust pipes of the side of the car? Those things get very hot and are wider then the car.

Well as i have mentioned many times, they trafficpolice could be very rich. If i go out in our neighbourhood then 80% of the motorbikes has broken lights, no helmets, don't use indicators and so on.

Honestly i appraise all rules that can increase the safety on the roads but Thailand has a very long way to go to come near the level of roadsafety in Europe.