Rent / Lease contract... advice

Im thinking of moving into a small room / apartment and mentioned to the owner that I can really only have a 3 month lease and maybe then able to pay month to month. He wants 2 months security deposit and first months rent in advance.

Ive never signed a lease contract in LOS before and thus dont know what to expect but he said its a standard one in English.

Should I be asking for a copy of the lease and his Id card when signing?

He said water and electricity is 15 baht and 8 baht respectively according to own use. Is this normal?

Depending on how he wants his monthly rent, should I be asking for a monthly receipt?

Do you have any advice for me so that I dont get caught out. Any advice or opinions are appreciated.

many thanks

Hi

2 months deposit and monthly rent in advance is usual. I always supply a draft of draft lease to tenants and landlords (in Thai and English if either are Thai) a few days before signing. It's a lot to go through and really you need a chance to read through it first at your leisure before signing.

You can ask for anything you want, it doesn't mean they have to give but many of my tenants want to see the landlords ID and we usually get it supplied, we always take tenant ID so it seems fair, the utilities are a bit high high, but it's not unusual for a landlord to add a bit for himself and quite usual in a condo or apartment.

Yes you should always ask for a receipt for any money paid, always for everything and if you are concerned about the deposit insist on an inventory.

If you are not happy, walk away.

Do you have reason to actually be concerned ? Does the Landlord wear a sheepskin coat and drive a yellow three wheel robin reliant or a Capri Ghia ? *

Regards

SDM

* sorry will only mean anything to the Brits, otherwise I am suitably impressed.