The Pursuit Of Happiness As An English Teacher And Father......

sirchai

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

No truer words have been said by an "in the trenches" teacher like you. Windmills, funny but not funny.

All the other armchair teachers / apologists need to spend one day with you in the classroom. LOL

Thanks a lot, mate. I'd posted this not just because I'm happy about the result. It's more about to keep things rolling and to never give up.

Fighting with windmills is my description what teaching in this country really is all about. Just a matter of your point of view. Good day.-wai2.gif

P.S. Love the "armchair" comment, as some here might have their "theory", but not the practical knowledge how it is to be a babysitter, teacher, referee in fights between students, Mother Theresa for retarded kids, etc..n a world full of red shirts really is.

But the color of their shirts might change soon. The part in their brains might need many wake up calls.

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 2

I'd be very interested in seeing the video of this skit, as I'd like to show it to my students.

As I trained an M1 group of students (And an M5 group as well), both skits were absolutely awesome, although neither made it out of our educational area's competition (IMO We were robbed.... the hosting school's team won both Upper & Lower secondary, even though their skits had terrible English & flimsy stories (Albeit lots of ladyboys)).

• Like 2

Doing fine until you had to bring politics into a post about children and slag off red shirts.

PS. "retarded kids" great teacher coffee1.gif

Guess others did understand the meaning of "retarded kids", as all students with serious psychological disabilities are in the same learning environment together with those who'd love to hear the teacher speaking.

And we do have a few really "retarded ones" who climb on wardrobes and doing other strange stuff. One student isn't even allowed to attend classes anymore, as he's very dangerous and would do anything to hurt others. Even with a weapon. So he's always on campus, but never in a classroom.

97 % of our Thai teachers are red, they don't even have a problem to give them their political views in form of brochures with Yingluck and Co, which shouldn't be allowed at schools.

I love most of my students as they were my own, and they love me too, but honestly disagree with Thailand's way of handling their loss of face problem. Cheers-wai2.gif

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 1

I'd be very interested in seeing the video of this skit, as I'd like to show it to my students.

As I trained an M1 group of students (And an M5 group as well), both skits were absolutely awesome, although neither made it out of our educational area's competition (IMO We were robbed.... the hosting school's team won both Upper & Lower secondary, even though their skits had terrible English & flimsy stories (Albeit lots of ladyboys)).

Will post it as soon as possible and send you the script as well. I certainly know of some cases in Ubon, where some Thai judges were bribed ( 50 K ) and they already knew who the winner was before the competition began.

The semi final in Mukdahan was won by the hosting school, of course. Sad is that many good students give up after trying it for a few times.

We sometimes get three days to prepare kids for a speech. Time for the weekend. Wish you the best, from lower northeast.-wai2.gif

• Like 1

Congratulations. It is a great pride for us as parents to see our children enjoy recognition but even more to just see them shine regardless of others. I often get a thanks for editing line in books when I do 90% of the writing and rewriting.It is just the way it is.

• Like 1

Doing fine until you had to bring politics into a post about children and slag off red shirts.

Guess others did understand the meaning of "retarded kids", as all students with serious psychological disabilities are in the same learning environment together with those who'd love to hear the teacher speaking.

And we do have a few really "retarded ones" who climb on wardrobes and doing other strange stuff. One student isn't even allowed to attend classes anymore, as he's very dangerous and would do anything to hurt others. Even with a weapon. So he's always on campus, but never in a classroom.

97 % of our Thai teachers are red, they don't even have a problem to give them their political views in form of brochures with Yingluck and Co, which shouldn't be allowed at schools.

I love most of my students as they were my own, and they love me too, but honestly disagree with Thailand's way of handling their loss of face problem. Cheers-wai2.gif

So you disagree with with the children/politics, but involve it in your post.

Love your children as your own but call some retards.

And some crap about face?

again sir, great teacher!

I have sat in the OP's classes and agree with him...........thumbsup.gif

• Like 2

You really seem to be lost in Surin. If you disagree with my point of view, please do me a favor and start a new topic, how impertinent and introverted foreigners can be.

Yes. some of them are retards ads shouldn't attend school, but they don't have schools for special needs. And the losing face was about the Thai teachers in a "highly developed World Class Standard Set-Up."

How the heck can you call that crap? It's a fact, if you don't believe me,,please ask somebody. Seems that you're new to Thailand, or to the whole teaching atmosphere here.

If you've got a problem, let's meet behind the Mango tree, where Buddha had his enlightenment. ( Sorry, was joking, as I'm never going the European way again.).

Isn't it a loss of face, when students from P.1 up to M.6 are not allowed to ask a Thai teacher a question, as it could happen that they don't know the answer? It's insane, to be honest.-wai.gif

Without getting into the "I know more than you do" I have taught for more than 9 years in three different countries (UK,Sweden and Thailand) and never referred to my students as retards, but feel free to if you please.

Didn't get the behind the mango tree, European way comment?

I am not new to Thailand at all, and In the Thai schools I have taught in there have been no such rule stopping students asking questions.

Well, at the 7 schools taught in over 13 years, not one student was allowed to ask questions to a Thai teacher. Wherever you taught, must have been a ShangriLah of an education system.

In my schools, there has never been a special ed section for students.

One case in point: I had a P3 student. Now, these teachers have this love for the word "autistic". They use it for everyone. I do not.

But, in this case, the boy never sat down, always clapping his hands, could not write nor read and was controlled with a bamboo stick. More so than other students.

In Kathu (Phuket), there actually is a special eds school. The parents, Thai Chinese, refused to take him there due to loss of face. They believe the boy is normal and disruption of a 35+ class is ok, to accomodate ONE student.

Schools have the funds for special eds.

The face crap is what stops these people. And talking about mango tree. These people will forever have tuk tuks with that mind set. They will never explore space, except with a kratom leaf.

• Like 2

I do agree that the word "retard" shouldn't be used. It has always been a word that I use to describe people who do stupid things and not those with special needs. I have tried very hard to remove it entirely from my vocabulary. I think that as educators we should strive to be better and use words that are inclusive and not exclusive.

As for the other issues of classroom stuff and politics it really shouldn't be the focus of this thread. And lets not have this thread go down to more bashing Thai education.

Thai students ask questions all the time, that is not the same as questioning what the teacher says.

• Like 1

"You can call them special needs, whatever else you want, the truth is they shouldnt be there. Period.“

Hate to break it to you but you are definitely not correct. PERIOD. With that kind of attitude, I can tell exactly what age you are and when you got out of education in your home country.

There is nothing wrong with having special needs students in a classroom, it is the standard. The problem is that those that teach here are not trained teachers and don't know how to handle it or is there a resource coordinator/aids in the classroom. Separating students that have different abilities or different needs hurts everyone. An effective teacher knows how to scaffold lessons, material and assignments to cover the overall objective from the curriculum and reach the individual needs of the students. It is more difficult for larger class sizes but not impossible.

• Like 1

I don't use the word 'retard' to describe students. I do use it to describe the Administration where I work though.

Our students are allowed to ask questions, but they seldom do. I have never seen them ask a Thai teacher a question -- other than "May I go to the toilet?"

We have a student who was brain injured when he was quite young in an auto accident in which his father was killed. His mother is a lovely person, but the child is completely out of control. The teacher is run absolutely ragged by him and sometimes he is so disruptive, the teacher has to stop teaching until he settles down, which can take a very long time.

He will not be returning next year, primarily because he has learned that a box cutter works really well to keep teachers at bay.

• Like 1

I don't use the word 'retard' to describe students. I do use it to describe the Administration where I work though.

Our students are allowed to ask questions, but they seldom do. I have never seen them ask a Thai teacher a question -- other than "May I go to the toilet?"

We have a student who was brain injured when he was quite young in an auto accident in which his father was killed. His mother is a lovely person, but the child is completely out of control. The teacher is run absolutely ragged by him and sometimes he is so disruptive, the teacher has to stop teaching until he settles down, which can take a very long time.

He will not be returning next year, primarily because he has learned that a box cutter works really well to keep teachers at bay.

In Australia wherever possible Special Needs children are handled in the normal clasroom with all the other children. A trained capable teacher should be able to handle this. Probably only 5% of children with special needs are handled in separate classes.

Edited by harrry

Zeichin, we dont have to agree.

And feel free to analize my age, country, and the time I got out of education, though for your sake I hope you have better things to do with your free time....

However, I will applaud you, if you come out the correct answer, without researching all my previous posts....and will look a silly if you miss things by a mile.

I wont change my mind about that the majority of regular kids shouldnt suffer/put up with few special needs. They only distract them most of the time, and I am sure fail to see the benefits for either party forcing it.

• Like 1

I can assure you, he cannot be handled in a regular classroom. He is 6 years old. He has slashed a teacher with a box cutter. He routinely locks himself in the classroom and does things like stick the broom handle in the ceiling fan.

Right now, he has been hospitalized because he went completely over the edge, which included biting (as well as numerous other behavioral problems).

But let's try to stay on topic.

• Like 2

"He has slashed a teacher with a box cutter."

That isn't special needs that is criminal.

"I have never seen them ask a Thai teacher a question -- other than "May I go to the toilet?"

How often do you actually sit and watch an entire lesson taught by Thai teachers? I do think that a lot of the old school teachers use lecture and rote memorization. I have been in the system a long time in many types of schools and find the students recepttive it is the old school managers that think students cannot think on their own.

A lot of education majors talk about student centered learning and then just lecture or give out worksheets.

I do agree that the word "retard" shouldn't be used. It has always been a word that I use to describe people who do stupid things and not those with special needs. I have tried very hard to remove it entirely from my vocabulary. I think that as educators we should strive to be better and use words that are inclusive and not exclusive.

As for the other issues of classroom stuff and politics it really shouldn't be the focus of this thread. And lets not have this thread go down to more bashing Thai education.

Thai students ask questions all the time, that is not the same as questioning what the teacher says.

Here we go again. Why would I use such a word, if it wouldn't be true? Wouldn't you call kids who jump from a wardrobe to a table, then from table to table a sort of not "normal"?

I had to help a new guy at our school, who had one of my students before. The boy had a real heavy wooden chair and wanted to knock the Aussie out.

I could hold him and it took a lot of power, as some students with mental disorders can all in a sudden develop enormous power and I needed the help of two Thai teachers to keep him under control. He didn't take his "Haldol", a strong psychopharmacol drug.

I could continue writing stories about not normal students, one who always tries to pull down my pants, when writing something on the board, etc....

Then such nice posts about schools in Australia, great. And the capable teachers who can teach those who are good, those who never listen and those who sit on a locker. Using a banana as a trick to get them to sit down, or what?

One of them (sixth grader) had sexually molested a little girl from grade three for a longer time until it came out. Okay, I agree, you can call that special needs.

I'm doing my job now for so long, but it seems that others know it much better. If so then I'd really stop what I'm doing. I'd love to see those with the advice that "a good teacher can handle that" attitude, surviving one day at my school.

Again, it's way off topic now. Finally, the Thai staff is always that helpful to let me know that a kid is "autistic", when the school year's almost over.

It's like fighting in a battle, no probs with that. I've learned how to fight. And i know how to stand up again.

But I don't know why so many with "SPECIAL NEEDS" are attending at our school. Life's too short to ask too many questions.-wai2.gif

• Like 1

I have students who write backwards, eyes crossed, strange shaped heads and a plethora of other physical and mental issues.

I am not that completely out of control and denying the fact that some of them are retarded.

Politically correctness gone mad when it sounds like a duck, quacks like a duck, walks like a duck and swims like a duck and its a bloody elephant!

Nope, never seen classroom beatings. WHAT JOKE!!!!

post-53467-0-69243300-1392902150_thumb.j

I bet he has never seen teachers sleeping, either!!

post-53467-0-46354100-1392902223_thumb.j

• Like 2

It never takes too long for anything discussed to denigrate into a game of one-upmanship. Why can't we all take these comments with a grain of salt and try to learn from other people's experiences instead of trying to pigeonhole comments that do not parallel our own? Under different circumstances I would not condone the use of the term "retarded" but if the shoe fits, wear it. I love the guys who always comment about how perfectly wonderful life is here....if for no other reason I always love to watch ostriches. Seems they are a breed not relegated to any one particular geographical area. Thanks for the laugh.

And Sirchai....keep standing up. Believe me....I know what you mean so this must mean that there are now 2 "unqualified" teachers who are totally "ineffective" at "teaching".

Oh bloody hell....I forgot...I ain't no teacher...I'm a coach.

Question for you classically trained "teachers": How does one go about sparking these students' critical thinking abilities? Or correlating different logistical processes? And could you please explain to me where the delineation is between "bashing" the education system here and giving a fair and honest critique of the same system?

Just curious.

• Like 2

Not to hijack the thread.. but as the topic is about fatherhood as well.

At the beginning of each school term, in I trot into the classroom to meet the teachers, with copies of the Thai regulation (in both languages) about the illegality of spanking MY SON.

I smile, wai, do the usual "farang jai dee" tip toe ballyhoo Swan Lake routine then give them the paper and with that idiotic smile, wife (we have a routine) tells them in a "panicked way" please do not piss off his dad, he will not come to school if son is beat. He will go to the police.

When we get back in the car, we crack up with laughter at their "ka" reaction.

So, my poor son, whenever all the other kids get a whip, he has to do sit ups then contend with us at home. ** The way it should be **.

• Like 2

"He has slashed a teacher with a box cutter." That isn't special needs that is criminal. "I have never seen them ask a Thai teacher a question -- other than "May I go to the toilet?" How often do you actually sit and watch an entire lesson taught by Thai teachers? I do think that a lot of the old school teachers use lecture and rote memorization. I have been in the system a long time in many types of schools and find the students recepttive it is the old school managers that think students cannot think on their own. A lot of education majors talk about student centered learning and then just lecture or give out worksheets.

No, a 6 year old, brain damaged child is not a criminal. He is a 6 year old, brain damaged child who is in need of special education. Main streaming of students is a part of a special eduction program. The school doesn't have a special education program, so he will continue to fall further and further behind in his learning until he is old enough to become a real criminal.

And I had my desk in a classroom for a time -- like a homeroom teacher -- so I have seen quite a few Thai teachers' classes. My point was that it's not really a part of the Thai culture to do a lot of questioning.

If we can get down from the soapbox, perhaps we can get back on the topic.

• Like 2

We live in a world full of believers. Some believe that Thailand's education system is the best around the world. Not too long ago, people thought the earth would be flat and they would fall down if......................

Others use their religious shield being a Roman Catholic, Protestant, Seventh Day Adventist, Mormon, Newborn Christian, or Jehovah's' Witness, ( now only using those who believe in Jesus Christ) and each of them criticize the others for doing something wrong.

I believe in love. Give love to others and you'll get love back. I don't believe in a god, who comes to rescue people, when they pray.......

Not wanting to talk about " Holy Wars, "their members, plus George W. Bush as one of the best comedians now, to be honest.

Those who had been in this system for quite a long time, do know what I meant. Retard for me is just the softer version of fkhyking cracy..

And again, those others who are always and every day disturbing ALL the others shouldn't be there. Send them to a Gulag. ( I'm JOKING>)

All they do is it disturb those who want to learn. But a system that "spends" more money than other countries on this planet on "educational purposes?, but doesn't have the money to come up with a functioning school system, curriculum ,etc..is the reason why things are as they are.

Look at the cars, houses, and all the educators here own. But so many of them know nothing about anything.

Okay, I already wear my Jay Jenn blinders and can't be bothered anymore. But no, I'm quite a sensible guy and I do have feelings for ALL of the kids. Thus on the other hand is NOT the kids' fault.

The system is so wrong, that educators can hit, rape and do other things with kids, where I'd decide to kill them if somebody would let's say, rape my child, being an educator.

I believe in evolution and you can give me flyers, brochures and tell me anything about your religion. I don't want that. I'm old enough to think for myself and the ones I love.

My post was more about the difficulties, we and our kids, but also Thai kids are facing in such an unbelievable face losing environment. It also leaves hope that one day they might understand that they need some of us to succeed. And even if the Miss Thailand has a German daddy.

I do have a degree in social pedagogy and I had worked with many retards in my life. Clients, as well as colleagues..Migrants from other countries, drug addicts who were sent to prison, etc. I was never planning to "become" a teacher, as we all will never know what life's all about, until we find it out.

I find it hard to believe that people just jump in and come to conclusions, about things they obviously don't know. Criticising Scott for not knowing what Thai teachers do, or what they don't do? That's not retarded, it's insane. Can't wait to see my family this evening and wish all a good one.-wai2.gif

Edited by sirchai
  • Like 1