Applying For Driver License in Chiang Mai

CzarThustraThusSpake

Would someone be able to go over the things one should know before walking in to apply for a Thailand Auto or Pickup Truck Driver License?

Some questions:

1. If one has a valid driver license from another country, is it possible to just have issued a Thailand license without taking tests?

2. Where does one go to apply?

3. In Chiang Mai, how long does the procedure usually take?

4. What other noteworthy things should the applicant be aware of?

Thank you.

(Please assume that the applicant has either a retirement or an ed visa.)

Edited by CzarThustraThusSpake

I used my UK driver's licence to get a 1 year Thai driving licence ( you can only get a full 5 year Thai licence after the one year licence has expired)

As I remember I needed various copies of my driving licence and passport (I can't remember if I used my work permit or I'd I needed a letter of residence) and a medical certificate

I also had to take a quick colour blindness / reaction test which involved calling out the colours displayed on a traffic light contraption

I think the whole process took around 20 minutes on a Friday afternoon

You can pop into to the driving licence centre and they will give you a sheet written in English detailing all the paper work you need so you can grab that first to prepare what you need

The centre itself it located on the road to Hang Dong near the Tesco supermarket if I recall correctly - on the left hand side as you head towards Hang Dong - there is a hospital just before the centre where you can get the medical certificate

Hope this helps

I used my UK driver's licence to get a 1 year Thai driving licence ( you can only get a full 5 year Thai licence after the one year licence has expired)

As I remember I needed various copies of my driving licence and passport (I can't remember if I used my work permit or I'd I needed a letter of residence) and a medical certificate

I also had to take a quick colour blindness / reaction test which involved calling out the colours displayed on a traffic light contraption

I think the whole process took around 20 minutes on a Friday afternoon

You can pop into to the driving licence centre and they will give you a sheet written in English detailing all the paper work you need so you can grab that first to prepare what you need

The centre itself it located on the road to Hang Dong near the Tesco supermarket if I recall correctly - on the left hand side as you head towards Hang Dong - there is a hospital just before the centre where you can get the medical certificate

Hope this helps

Thank you, this will help a lot.

Excellent, if you want to experience virtual reality then read that guys blog.

I feel like I have the licence already.

Wonder if he blogged his experience down L.K. ?

• 7 months later...

The new Thai Drivers license is now a laminated with your photo. Beware of the Photo taker processing clerks they like to sell you plastic covers to coat it again for 10 baht each. I guess if they get enough 10 bahts in a week & month they get another salary very unprofessional in my opinion. Lucky my Thai friend was walking by when she was trying to sell me she told him to go away so he went to the front desk to file a complaint against her. Great country Thailand it keeps you on your toes every minute.

The new Thai Drivers license is now a laminated with your photo. Beware of the Photo taker processing clerks they like to sell you plastic covers to coat it again for 10 baht each. I guess if they get enough 10 bahts in a week & month they get another salary very unprofessional in my opinion. Lucky my Thai friend was walking by when she was trying to sell me she told him to go away so he went to the front desk to file a complaint against her. Great country Thailand it keeps you on your toes every minute.

Are you trying to say you almost got scammed for 10 Baht?

Maybe you should call in the air force next time... nuke them....!!

Are you trying to say you almost got scammed for 10 Baht?

Maybe you should call in the air force next time... nuke them....!!

10 baht?... unbelievable.

We just went through the process last month. Here is our blog post about how we went about it. If you have an IDL it makes is easier but a friend of ours did it with her regular DL from her country without a IDL and got hers without the written or practical driving tests.

http://goingoutforthaifood.blogspot.com/2014/09/getting-our-thai-drivers-licenses.html

UK license, passport with visa therein, residence certificate from Immigration (or work permit), 105 baht, reaction test, colour blindness test and 45 minute safety video.

...and a letter from a medical clinic, I believe.

I got my to renew 5 years licence a few weeks ago and the young, intelligent girl at the front desk crossed out the medical certificate requirement and initialled the slip of paper,at my request, that showed what is required. The list of what is required is at her desk desk directly in front of you as you walk in.

Next day, when processing the licence, was not asked for a medical certificate and I'm 72.

I was also a couple a day over expiry and due to the way their computer is set up I actually got a 6 year licence as if overdue it automatically goes through to your next birthday.

Having said all that a medical certificate from a Thai clinic is less than 50 b ,cheap insurance in event of them moving the goal posts.

We just went through the process last month. Here is our blog post about how we went about it. If you have an IDL it makes is easier but a friend of ours did it with her regular DL from her country without a IDL and got hers without the written or practical driving tests.

http://goingoutforthaifood.blogspot.com/2014/09/getting-our-thai-drivers-licenses.html

That's a very nice blog - really informative for anyone new.

Welcome to Chiang Mai, and to Thai Visa Forum.

(Occasionally we hear the dragging of knuckles and someone from down south gives us a spray of halitosis before slithering back down there, but mostly everybody on here is really nice).

My driving permit from does not have a motorcycle endorsement.

What would I need to do to get a motorcycle license as well, in Chiang Mai.

You have to take the written, vision, and driving exams. Basically, start from scratch.

I occasionally have the desire to rent motorbikes but have avoided riding for a while, only to avoid BiB hassles. (I used Jaguar for years, prefer the Honda Wave or Dream 125cc). I have ridden ridden dirt bikes infrequently, not too comfortable with the handlebar mounted clutch.

I could get my motorcycle license in Japan but "driving school" is very expensive. I looked into getting a motorcycle license on the US territory of Guam where if pass the written you get a "learners permit". Then one can rent or borrow a bike for the test. I heard the written there is tricky and there is no question bank to study so many people have to take it a few times. The practical test is a real test with slow maneuvering and s-turns, and emergency braking. The test must be taken on a "real bike" with not sure minimum engine displacement.

I seems the easiest/cheapest option would be to get my car license first. Do the written/vision for the motorbike, Then take my chances and just rent the Dream and drive it illegally to the licensing authority for the practical test. Does that sound doable or will I be setting myself up for a bust this way?

My driving permit from does not have a motorcycle endorsement.

What would I need to do to get a motorcycle license as well, in Chiang Mai.

You have to take the written, vision, and driving exams. Basically, start from scratch.

I occasionally have the desire to rent motorbikes but have avoided riding for a while, only to avoid BiB hassles. (I used Jaguar for years, prefer the Honda Wave or Dream 125cc). I have ridden ridden dirt bikes infrequently, not too comfortable with the handlebar mounted clutch.

I could get my motorcycle license in Japan but "driving school" is very expensive. I looked into getting a motorcycle license on the US territory of Guam where if pass the written you get a "learners permit". Then one can rent or borrow a bike for the test. I heard the written there is tricky and there is no question bank to study so many people have to take it a few times. The practical test is a real test with slow maneuvering and s-turns, and emergency braking. The test must be taken on a "real bike" with not sure minimum engine displacement.

I seems the easiest/cheapest option would be to get my car license first. Do the written/vision for the motorbike, Then take my chances and just rent the Dream and drive it illegally to the licensing authority for the practical test. Does that sound doable or will I be setting myself up for a bust this way?

Getting it in Thailand, at least CM, is easy. Even I did it. Motorbike and motorcycle are the same license. I don't think you can do the written/vision for the motorbike, then forgo the road test. My guess is they would flunk you.

Don't make it complicated. Just rent a motorbike, go down there and do it.

Edited by mesquite

A very nice guy I met yesterday told me I could drive a motorbike LEGALLY in Thailand up to 125cc engine displacement with a Thai automobile license

OR an overseas license plus valid IDP. Is this rubbish? Not kidding but the guy claimed some other interesting things including of course, that he is "ex special forces",

so it made me doubt everything he had to say.

Edited by arunsakda

A very nice guy I met yesterday told me I could drive a motorbike LEGALLY in Thailand up to 125cc engine displacement with a Thai automobile license

OR an overseas license plus valid IDP. Is this rubbish? Not kidding but the guy claimed some other interesting things including of course, that he is "ex special forces",

See what the Thai BiB say about that when you are stopped driving a bike and present a Thai car DL. Yes you need a bike license if driving a bike.

As for the home license with IDP, that's good for a short stay tourist so long as your home license is endorsed for motor bike use.

Yes, I know the BiB rarely look to see if car or bike, but I have had the vigilant officer who has checked and pointed out I presented the wrong license.

Yeah, funny how people that actually were ex special forces very rarely ever tell anyone. Possibly due to too many skeletons in the closet (Or under the ground somewhere)

Being ex military, I am always weary of people who claim to have been this and done that. Especially when some of their ¨facts¨don't really add up. They could at least get their bases correct and do some homework before trying to con all the people all the time.

I even had a guy out here in Mae Rim professing to have been ex Special Air Service, when I asked where he was based the answer was quite ridiculous as the SAS never ever had a base where he stated and I doubt if they even did any training in the area he mentioned.

Although Im a Kiwi, my NZ Army training also included history of overseas forces and the founding Corps locations. Both Aussie and Kiwi Armies have SAS soldiers, which began life in the UK under David Stirling (Lt Col).

Sorry got a bit away from the OP there......

Im currently running around on a NZ driving license and really need to get off my butt and go get the Thai one. Lots of good info from all participants, no excuse not to do the legal requirements now.

Cheers all

• 4 weeks later...

Any idea if i can use a copy of recent Cert of Res letter? Just purchased new one for car ownership papers and had a copy made so if can use that copy, very good. The journey to/from Prom takes long time, then wait a day and go back.

Any idea if i can use a copy of recent Cert of Res letter? Just purchased new one for car ownership papers and had a copy made so if can use that copy, very good. The journey to/from Prom takes long time, then wait a day and go back.

DLT wants an original. They will accept a copy and an original if you are getting both the Automobile and MC license at the same time. If you are only applying for one, then it needs to be an original.