Order to expel Sehgal awaits Chalerm's nod

webfact

ANTI-GOVERNMENT CAMPAIGNS
Order to expel Sehgal awaits Chalerm's nod

The Nation

30227470-01_big.gif
Satish Sehgal

BANGKOK: -- Immigration Commission has voted to cancel the residency permit for an Indian businessman who addressed an anti-government rally, a source at the commission has revealed.

However, Satish Sehgal has yet to be informed of a decision by the commission to deport him for his involvement with protests led by the People Democratic Reform Committee.

A source close to Satish said yesterday the businessman had not had any formal notice from the panel about the matter. The panel had earlier resolved that he had not committed any wrongdoing that would warrant deportation, the source noted.

The commission, which is under the Interior Ministry, decided by a majority vote to revoke Satish's residency permit following a long debate among the nine panel members, a source in the commission said yesterday.

In a secret ballot, five panel members voted for revocation, while two voted against and two others abstained from voting, according to the source, who added that the commission met on Monday to discuss the matter.

By law the prime minister has the authority to endorse such a decision but the PM has delegated that power to Labour Minister Chalerm Yoobamrung, who is now in charge of the government's Centre for Maintaining Peace and Order, according to the source.

The order to revoke Satish's residency permit was submitted to Chalerm on Thursday and he was expected to sign to endorse it next week, the source said. However, Satish had the right to seek a court injunction to oppose the move.

Satish, 70, is a former president of the Thai-Indian Business Association, and has lived in Thailand for over five decades. He is a PDRC leader but has rarely appeared on stage at rally sites following a threat to deport him.

Satish's legal adviser, who asked not to be named, said Satish would bring the case to court and appeal to HM the King over this matter. He would also sue the officials involved.

If Satish's residency permit is revoked, the Immigration Bureau will ask for him to be detained for deportation from Thailand.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-02-22

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Enjoy our flight home rolleyes.gifwhistling.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gif Take care now and all the best to you w00t.gif

Happy to see that the vindictive persecution and misery of a man who exercised his right to freedom of speech and spoke out for the country he considers his own is giving you such pleasure.

Find a mirror.

For give me as I live in Singapore and had done for 32 years but travel to Thailand every week, so I must have missed something here. I can be kicked out of Singapore also as a PR.

• Like 2

This is a harsh decision to a man who contributed to the Thai economy for the long time and has a family here in Thailand.

Basically they are telling non-Thai people not to get involved with any of the anti-government activities.

There are thousands of people more deserving of your admiration.

Like who? Chalerm? cheesy.gif

Enjoy our flight home rolleyes.gifwhistling.gifclap2.gifcheesy.gif Take care now and all the best to you w00t.gif

Happy to see that the vindictive persecution and misery of a man who exercised his right to freedom of speech and spoke out for the country he considers his own is giving you such pleasure.

Find a mirror.

For give me as I live in Singapore and had done for 32 years but travel to Thailand every week, so I must have missed something here. I can be kicked out of Singapore also as a PR.

There is no need to take pleasure in his misfortune.

I'm not getting into the rights and wrongs of expelling a man who has lived here for most of his life. Did that last time.

This is a harsh decision to a man who contributed to the Thai economy for the long time and has a family here in Thailand.

Basically they are telling non-Thai people not to get involved with any of the anti-government activities.

Yes foreigners were warned in the beginning not to get involved.

Yes, and he was specifically named and warned. But in the euphoria, he got carried away and was on the stage in Silom very regularly making taunting speeches to great applause. The last straw was when he led a mob to the Aeronautical Radio threatening to close down airline communications.

• Like 2

So they need trouble with India too do they.

Another rod for their own back.

Stupidity knows no bounds.

I hardly think India would care about this guy. He left the country 50+ yrs ago and he considers himself Thai and not indian. I think India will be saying who is this Sehgal numskull. I doubt that any country in the world would care to much if another country deported one their citizens home they aren't going to make an international issue about one guy getting deported home.

• Like 2

I can be kicked out of Singapore also as a PR.

Er no you cant be kicked out of Singapore as a PR, if they wanted to kick you out of Singapore they would have to get your PR status withdrawn in a court of law, once the court orders your PR withdrawn, then immigration can start taking steps to get you kicked out.

therefore your statement is incorrect.

• Like 1

You obviously know nothing about Thai citizenship requirements ... If he has permanent residency, that's about as far as he can go.

Utter rubbish! A number of foreigners are given Thai citizenship every year. On this board I can think of members such as Dbren and NewlyMintedThai. I will apply in a couple of years when I meet the visa-extension requirements for my application.

It is you who knows nothing - check the facts about citizenship applictions/requirements

Edit: AFAIK, Sehgal is not a hilltribe ethnic minority - he is an Indian citizen and some of his compatriates apply for and are awarded Thai citizenship each year.

Simon

Edited by simon43
  • Like 1