Order to expel Sehgal awaits Chalerm's nod

webfact

Most Local Indians that I know in Bangkok do not mind this guy and his family being eradicated out from Thailand as they always behaved like they were elites and actually never did anything to help their fellow Indians except those in their "elite circles" and this only if it benefitted their pockets and businesses.

No need to waste the courts time for an appeal etc. He is a non thai and he tried to deprive ordinary thais of a democratic election. Eradicate him and his family immediately!

Hoteliers, restaurants etc that use to advertise in his magazine : Lookeast, should boycott his publication (which no one reads anyway ) as his actions also caused a lot of tourists to stay from thailand. Boycott all families restaurants ie Indus, Dressed etc.

Local thais should also hold protests outside the Indian embassy asking its citizens to mind their own business and an apology is also required form the embassy, and also local thais should protests on the premises of the Thai-Indain Chamber and Business Associations to ask their Indian members to mind their own business if they wish to remain in Thailand! If not deport the whole comittees. They is nothing much to gain from doing business in India anyway.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/business/Thai-India-FTA-signing-soon-30218906.html

THAILAND and India are scheduled to sign their long-awaited comprehensive free-trade agreement (FTA) at the World Trade Organisation meeting next month after reaching an agreement on service-sector liberalisation.
The agreement would see an increase in bilateral investment in the countries' service businesses.

Deputy Commerce Minister Yanyong Phuangrach said the Thai Cabinet recently approved the comprehensive pact covering trade in goods, services and investment, which he said should benefit Thai businesses greatly as India had agreed to open its services market to Thai investors.

• Replies 189
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I wouldn't worry about it. The Shinawatra government may be vindinctive but the courts are fair. There's no way they will endorse something like this. He has every right to exercise his right to protest, as long as he did't break the law. I'm pretty sure the courts will tell Chalerm to F off again.

"but the courts are fair"

cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gifcheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gifcheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gifcheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gifcheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gifcheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gifcheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gifcheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gifcheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif

you obviously do not live here? sitting in the US making comments? not even the most uneducated Thai I know would make such a moronic statement - in fact not even the most stupid farang I know would say that passifier.gif

EVERYONE knows that 'under the table' is the norm here - i have dealt with the Courts have you???

you been watching too much Bluesky TV Gerry - or maybe too much Walt Disney? or smoking 'something' maybe? or too much Chang??? burp.gif

Just because the courts aren't beholden to the Shinawatra government and will not hesitate to rule against them doesn't make them unfair and corrupt.

No one cares what you claim to have done or have dealt with. Anybody can make things up and then post their 'experiences' here on Thaivisa. whistling.gif

He broke no laws.

After SOE when freedom of speech became a crime he stopped.

He has been cleared of the charges charm brought against him because there was no evidence.

No one deserves the vindictive, petty behaviour being exhibited by PT.

However as I said earlier, I don't care. Still no reason to take pleasure in his misfortune.

Contemptible to do so.

The police claim he was involved in "raids" on government offices. The source of this is the other paper than cannot be named. If true, do you believe it is appropriate for a foreigner to be involved in such activities?

Anyone, Thai or foreigner, suspected of criminal activities should be investigated and prosecuted if warranted. Thais get prison (sometimes) foreigners get deported.

But the actions against Sehgal seem to support the simplistic view of democracy supported by the 'conservative' (for USA read Republican) members here that it starts and ends at the ballot box, and is thus reserved for national citizens. That view decries any other element of democratic expression such as speaking publicly about corruption or demonstrating as trouble-making, insurrection, the mob, terrorism.

It is paradoxical that posters with such apparent right-wing sympathies supposedly support the Shinawatra administration because they have 'helped the poor' (while mainly helping themselves).

I'm sorry, but trying to line up different perspectives on a complex issue along a right-left axis is the only simplistic thinking I'm seeing around here. There point is not about expressing political views, it's about being involved in the occupation of government sites. No-one here would be saying he should be deported if he'd written an editorial critical of Yingluck for the Nation, for example. We're talking about something very different.

This is a harsh decision to a man who contributed to the Thai economy for the long time and has a family here in Thailand.

Basically they are telling non-Thai people not to get involved with any of the anti-government activities.

Bingo....that is what we as guest are supposed to do, stay clear of it. We have been told, we have been warned...& you still want to get involved? Go right ahead, but you will surely get deported faster than Sehgal, that I can assure you.coffee1.gif

It would be interesting to know when and how this guy got PR status. If he was a youngster when it was granted then his lack of knowledge of the law is understandable. If he was an adult, then he should be aware of the differences between PR status and citizenship and he should have a grasp of what rights he has.

It is still a little mystifying why he did not apply or get citizenship.

India will not care one iota if he is deported. Most countries are quite happy when one of their citizens gets in trouble and then is sent home, rather than being sent to jail where consular assistance is required.

Not all of us take pleasure in his pain, but the situation with the red shirt rallies was a good object lesson on the consequences of getting involved in foreign politics.

Hopefully, they will not blacklist him.

Up until a certain point in the 70s (prior to the 1979 immigration act?) my understanding is that any extension of stay was effectively a grant of PR, which is probably how he got it.

I do understand to an extent his view that he was probably immune to all of this. Plenty of people in OZ, mainly Brits, who came when they were young and have stayed British despite effectively being Australian in all but citizenship.

One of my in laws was born to an Australian mother in New Zealand. He never got around to getting his Australian citizenship by descent so has lived in Oz for most of his 40 off years as a kiwi. He could pay the $120 to get his oz citizenship by descent but never has bothered.

• Like 1

I wouldn't worry about it. The Shinawatra government may be vindinctive but the courts are fair. There's no way they will endorse something like this. He has every right to exercise his right to protest, as long as he did't break the law. I'm pretty sure the courts will tell Chalerm to F off again.

cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gifcheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gifcheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gifcheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gifcheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gifcheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gifcheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gifcheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gifcheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif

you obviously do not live here? sitting in the US making comments? not even the most uneducated Thai I know would make such a moronic statement - in fact not even the most stupid farang I know would say that passifier.gif

EVERYONE knows that 'under the table' is the norm here - i have dealt with the Courts have you???

you been watching too much Bluesky TV Gerry - or maybe too much Walt Disney? or smoking 'something' maybe? or too much Chang??? burp.gif

Just because the courts aren't beholden to the Shinawatra government and will not hesitate to rule against them doesn't make them unfair and corrupt.

No one cares what you claim to have done or have dealt with. Anybody can make things up and then post their 'experiences' here on Thaivisa. whistling.gif

ya you too... such ignorance of the 'system' can only be:

• inexperience
  • stupidity
  • naivety

answer - do you actually LIVE here? you are SERIOUSLY supporting the 'integrity' of the Courts? you are the very first I have come across (Thai or farang).. congrats!!!

• inexperience
  • stupidity
  • naivety

answer - do you actually LIVE here? you are SERIOUSLY supporting the 'integrity' of the Courts? you are the very first I have come across (Thai or farang).. congrats!!!

The courts aren't perfect but I support their integrity over the Shinawatra government anytime. It amuses me that pro government supporters have the cheek to call people 'inexperience', 'stupid' and 'naive. They have the cheek to call the courts 'corrupt'. all the while supporting the extremely corrupt Shinawatra government! Oh the irony and the hypocrisy! clap2.gif

Oh by the way, I apologize for not believing you. You do have experience with the courts here.

RT@teamkorn: RT @PatricLand: RedShirts perform black magic at Civil Court to curse judges after SOE ruling bit.ly/1cAKpOy pic.twitter.com/jnqOmdoOro

BhFKNkWCIAA7BEM.jpg

Edited by TVGerry
  • Like 1

He broke no laws.

He has been cleared of the charges charm brought against him because there was no evidence.

However as I said earlier, I don't care. Still no reason to take pleasure in his misfortune.

Contemptible to do so.

what freedom of speech? you heard of the restrictive and censorship laws here? which are about the worst (apart from N.Korea) I have come across? Les Majeste ring a bell???

a hypocrite you are (Yoda 'free' speech)

Les majeste laws aside which are a legitimate issue (and I'm no fan of criminal sentences for defamation either), the Thai constitution does provide for free speech and has a free media.

The irony here is that you are always bitching when the Nation exercises their right to criticise the government, which you usually claim is wrong biggrin.png

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

There is no blah blah laws aside.... it IS central NO freedom of discussion and the press and the truth ... why do you think it is there in the first place ? You do know who presided over and made these these latest amendments and included them dont you ?

Let me remind you of the 2007 amendments it now includes.

2007 proposed amendment:

“Section 112/1.—Whosoever defames, insults or threatens any Royal Prince

or Princess shall be punished with imprisonment of one to seven years, or

fined from 20,000 to 140,000 baht, or both.”

“Section 112/2.—Whosoever defames, insults or threatens the President of

the Privy Council, members of the Privy Council or any Royal Representative appointed by the King shall be punished with imprisonment of six

months to five years, or fined from 10,000 to 100,000 baht, or both.”

[Those who defy court orders and report on current lese majesty cases shall

be punished with imprisonment not exceeding three years, or fined up to

60,000 baht, or both.]

(2008) proposed amendment (key aspects):

• Extend protection to include relatives, descendants, and past kings of the

dynasty

• Increase punishment to a minimum of 5, and a maximum 25 years in

prison; increase to range from 500,000 to 1,000,000.

• Cases to be tried expeditiously.

• Defendant must prove innocence.

You any idea how pervasive to everything here that is now and do you have any idea of the numbers being charged since it came into affect ?... It is getting more severe every amendment.

Freedom of speech ? sorry there is nothing of the sort here.

As I said, Les Majeste law aside, which is a legitimate issue, Thailand does have freedom of speech and a free press. Comparing it to North Korea is ridiculous.

I am well aware of the trends in particular their particularly appalling application to technical administrators of websites that permit public comment. However, it is hardly 'pervasive', it applies to a very limited sphere and you aren't going to get sent to the Gulag for saying the PM is an idiot or fed to starving dogs for saying the government sucks. I also note that the present government has completely failed to address the issue - they chose to uphold it instead - and indeed have filed complaints against political opponents under Les Majeste law. Thaksin has used it himself against Sonthi (the media guy, not the coup guy) for example.

Free speech is in the constitution. When Thaksin was busy suing the media to oblivion the Bangkok Post used to print the relevant section on the masthead of their paper.

I don't think he is making things up, the whole thai society is built on the baht and corruption. Aussie lady accused of stealing a bar mat goes to court, if she donates 10Kbht charges are dropped. She pays and court dismisses the charges.

According to this she pleaded guilty, was fined $38 and left Thailand.

Have you got a link to corroborate your story. I don't deny it, but a link would be appreciated?

Edited by djjamie

A lot of the rulings of the Constitutional Court have been criticized by the pro-thaksin supporters as being in favor of the anti-thaksin movement. To be fair to the judiciary however all the rulings were made in accordance to the constitution.

However when the Constitutional Court hears any case that has political implications they are always accused of not being independent. For example in 2000 when National Counter Corruption Commission accused thaksin of concealing some of his assets that were submitted to the commission the CC ruled he was not guilty. The court was criticized for being biased to thaksin.

It might be pertinent to add the CC ruling was however accepted and there was no threats to kidnap judges. No burning of effigies out the front of the court house. No protests blocking traffic and no threats to impeach the judges. It was accepted.

That is what the thaksin camp needs to understand. If there is evidence to prove yingluck is guilty it is not a judicial coup. It is a correct ruling. If there is no evidence and she is found guilty then it is time to look at court bias. Like I said before, every single ruling by the CC has been in accordance with the constitution. It just happens the the taksin camp were, are, and will forever be corrupt. It is not the CC's fault for finding guilty parties guilty.

It seems the CC are damned if they do and damned if they don't when it hears political cases.

Only after the intervention of the Governor and the prospect of serious damage to the biggest source of tourism for Phuket.

I don't agree with kicking out the Indian national...stupidity is insufficient cause for deportation in his case. A very large fine would be ok....maybe 50 million.

Edited by Prbkk

• inexperience
  • stupidity
  • naivety

The courts aren't perfect but I support their integrity over the Shinawatra government anytime. It amuses me that pro government supporters have the cheek to call people 'inexperience', 'stupid' and 'naive. They have the cheek to call the courts 'corrupt'. all the while supporting the extremely corrupt Shinawatra government! Oh the irony and the hypocrisy! clap2.gif

Oh by the way, I apologize for not believing you. You do have experience with the courts here.

RT@teamkorn: RT @PatricLand: RedShirts perform black magic at Civil Court to curse judges after SOE ruling bit.ly/1cAKpOy pic.twitter.com/jnqOmdoOro

BhFKNkWCIAA7BEM.jpg

Wot, no bloody headless chickens or voodoo dolls in the shape of Suthep or the judges.? Tacky.

A lot of the rulings of the Constitutional Court have been criticized by the pro-thaksin supporters as being in favor of the anti-thaksin movement. To be fair to the judiciary however all the rulings were made in accordance to the constitution.

However when the Constitutional Court hears any case that has political implications they are always accused of not being independent. For example in 2000 when National Counter Corruption Commission accused thaksin of concealing some of his assets that were submitted to the commission the CC ruled he was not guilty. The court was criticized for being biased to thaksin.

It might be pertinent to add the CC ruling was however accepted and there was no threats to kidnap judges. No burning of effigies out the front of the court house. No protests blocking traffic and no threats to impeach the judges. It was accepted.

That is what the thaksin camp needs to understand. If there is evidence to prove yingluck is guilty it is not a judicial coup. It is a correct ruling. If there is no evidence and she is found guilty then it is time to look at court bias. Like I said before, every single ruling by the CC has been in accordance with the constitution. It just happens the the taksin camp were, are, and will forever be corrupt. It is not the CC's fault for finding guilty parties guilty.

It seems the CC are damned if they do and damned if they don't when it hears political cases.

No, all the rulings show is that the CC just bends to the political winds of whoever is in power. It's not a place to go for an unbiased and impartial reading of the constitution.

Only after the intervention of the Governor and the prospect of serious damage to the biggest source of tourism for Phuket.

I don't agree with kicking out the Indian national...stupidity is insufficient cause for deportation in his case. A very large fine would be ok....maybe 50 million.

Perhaps he might be let off, with the severe warning & shock he's already had, and a promise to buy a Thaksin Thai Elite Card ? rolleyes.gif

Edited by Ricardo
  • Like 1

merely a guest in this country.

He has been longer in Thailand than the majority of Thai people currently living on this earth.

Now reported to be planning a " long march" to Hua Hin from Bangkok , to petition HM The King ( Bangkok Post). Really, he would be better advised to take a slightly more low key approach. He is not Gandhi , although his ego seems to be that kind of status. A legend in his own lunch-time

• Like 2

If any of us here got up on Sutheps stage,, or rallied in any way up North on behalf of govt supporters....we would be made an example of poste haste...done deal... topic over...this guy is deeep into the PDRC leadership pockets a Suthep hugger with Suthep whispering sweet nothings in his ear...promising him it will all be fine... having said that it comes as no surprise that not all farang are treated the same here because they aren't .. nothing is standardized here..(but for a price...) deep rooted and ages old..Sorry but this guy knew all of this in advance having been here as long as he has...and must have been given some guarantees by ( ahem) somebody...or he would be gone already...we can drag every cat in the alley into this but still doesn't change the warnings farang are given...

Edited by DirtFarmer

If he has lived in Thailand for over 5 decades, why is he not a Thai citizen now? Surely he meets all the criteria and could have applied for citizenship a long time ago.

IMHO, it seems pretty stupid to become politically involved when you are merely a guest in this country. That goes for all political persuasions.

What visa does he have? ED?

He should have kept his political views to himself - he must have known that voicing them so strongly would only end in tears

Simon

Edit: I note that the original article says he has a residency permit ==> PR

You obviously know nothing about Thai citizenship requirements ... If he has permanent residency, that's about as far as he can go.

There are other indigenous "minority" groups in Thailand who have lived here for generations ... some longer that the Thai-Chinese clans who run the country ... who are denied "citizenship".

Rogerdee123, you obviously no nothing about Thai Citizenship. I have a lot of friends, British, Swiss, Dutch, Danish for instance who now have Thai Nationality and hold Thai passports. If you have lived here 5 years, have a reasonable grasp of the Thai Language and can show that you pay tax(such as withholding tax on investments) you can start the process to get a Thai passport which may take another 2-3 years.

Really? Tell me how many (lots?) have Thai Passports who are not originally ethnic Thai.

Even the million dollar elite club doesn't provide Thai Citizenship.

I have lived here 20 years. At least 50 of my friends, mainly Rotarians, Businessmen and Engineers who have been here a long time like myself, have Thai Nationality and Passports. I am not giving you their names but if you are invited to an English, German, Norwegian or French Speaking Rotary Club here, ask around. In the past they all had to select a Thai name and surname for their Thai passports.

Most Local Indians that I know in Bangkok do not mind this guy and his family being eradicated out from Thailand as they always behaved like they were elites and actually never did anything to help their fellow Indians except those in their "elite circles" and this only if it benefitted their pockets and businesses.

No need to waste the courts time for an appeal etc. He is a non thai and he tried to deprive ordinary thais of a democratic election. Eradicate him and his family immediately!

Hoteliers, restaurants etc that use to advertise in his magazine : Lookeast, should boycott his publication (which no one reads anyway ) as his actions also caused a lot of tourists to stay from thailand. Boycott all families restaurants ie Indus, Dressed etc.

Local thais should also hold protests outside the Indian embassy asking its citizens to mind their own business and an apology is also required form the embassy, and also local thais should protests on the premises of the Thai-Indain Chamber and Business Associations to ask their Indian members to mind their own business if they wish to remain in Thailand! If not deport the whole comittees. They is nothing much to gain from doing business in India anyway.

I know many local Indians and do not know any that want his family eradicated, quite the contrary they have been extremely grateful for their support in the Indian community. I personally have known the family for many years and they have done a lot of good work especially for charity. Next month we will be taking 250 disabled and blind children to the seaside. We are providing free polio vaccination this month and next. We are supporting poor children with scholarships, clean drinking water for schools, setting up school libraries with quality school text books, and many more good works. The Sehgal family has always contributed so much of their time and money to helping the people of Thailand. On the other hand I would not be surprised if you have ever given made any worthwhile contribution to the poor and disabled people of Thailand. His sons are Thai and run the businesses these days.

• Like 1

This is really obscene. The Immigration Commission before saw no reason whatsoever why this man should be deported, doubtless embarrassing Chalerm no end in front of the media. Well, guess what, they changed their mind. I wonder why ? And Yingluck, who has the authority - help us all - for deportation - has - surprise, surprise - decided to keep her hands clean by delegating a task so unsavoury that it would sully the image she is trying so carefully to build up of herself on her facebook page. When the deportation of a foreigner becomes the single, sole prize of a domestically imposed emergency decree, you know something really doesn't add up. Let's hope the Indian government sues the pants off of Chalerm for this outrageous act, and when this preposterous act is reversed, and he returns to Thailand - as undoubtedly will happen - that he be met with a hero's welcome. And further, that Chalerm - as part of his probationary sentence - be required to present him with a garland of flowers.

I know first hand that this happened because Thaksin did not like the Immigration Commissions verdict that is why Chalerm was put in charge of getting him deported. However, it is Thaksin pulling all the strings on his puppets in Government so that is why the family had to talk to Thaksin directly. Thaksin made them grovel and kowtow to him, after that Thaksin agreed that he would not be deported.

• Like 1

I know many local Indians and do not know any that want his family eradicated, quite the contrary they have been extremely grateful for their support in the Indian community. I personally have known the family for many years and they have done a lot of good work especially for charity. Next month we will be taking 250 disabled and blind children to the seaside. We are providing free polio vaccination this month and next. We are supporting poor children with scholarships, clean drinking water for schools, setting up school libraries with quality school text books, and many more good works. The Sehgal family has always contributed so much of their time and money to helping the people of Thailand. On the other hand I would not be surprised if you have ever given made any worthwhile contribution to the poor and disabled people of Thailand. His sons are Thai and run the businesses these days.

This cannot be true, the resident farang red's tell us the Sehgal family supports Suthep, who is a Fascist you know, and all PDRC leadership want to do is cause a civil war in Thailand and install Suthep, who hates all farangs, as a fascist dictator of Thailand

All the PDRC leadership do is incite their followers to hurl grenades and fire bullets at their owe supporters to make the currently elected democratic goverment look bad and cause dear YK to cry...

Absolutely impossible that Sehgal has worked for charities and donated his time and money to the poor of Thailand....he is a fascist you know

(All said very tongue in cheek...wink.png)

• Like 2

He broke no laws.

Contemptible to do so.

what freedom of speech? you heard of the restrictive and censorship laws here? which are about the worst (apart from N.Korea) I have come across? Les Majeste ring a bell???

a hypocrite you are (Yoda 'free' speech)

Ok I'll bite. Why am I a hypocrite?

because 'freedom of speech' here has never, ever been allowed so they can't stop something that was never there

ps by the way I am not one to gloat over this chaps misfortune BUT he was warned AND he is not Thai and my advice to anyone on either side who is not a Thai passport holder is you are, and will always be, a second class citizen here, get used to it, keep your nose clean and OUT of Thai politics publicly - not our business we can rant on here (not that it makes a modicum of difference)

Edited by binjalin
  • Like 2