Tap water salty as seawater enters Chao Phraya

webfact

HEALTH
Tap water salty as seawater enters Chao Phraya

Jutarat Tipnumpa
The Nation

30227458-01_big.JPG

BANGKOK: -- To tackle the crisis of a massive amount of seawater in the Chao Phraya River that has led to salty tap water, a Water and Flood Management Commission sub-panel has adjusted the water-release plan and dispatched water-pushing boats.

A water-treatment system has been installed Siriraj Hospital to deal with the problem.

The sub-panel's chairman, Royol Chitradon, who is also director of the Hydro and Agro Informatics Institute, said the seawater issue was worse than last year.

Seasonal inflows of seawater from Sunday to Tuesday would worsen the situation, he said.

The increased saltiness has affected hospitals in need of fresh water, hence the Metropolitan Waterworks Authority's decisions to install an reverse-osmosis water-treatment station at Siriraj.

Water-pushing boats were also sent to the Prem Prachakorn and Lat Phrao canals to help add oxygen to the water.

To reduce the impact on the tap-water system, the opening of dam sluice gates needed to be in line with the seawater inflow level, Royol said.

He said that when sea tides rose, sluice gates would release more water, and when the tides dropped, the gates would narrow to release less water. This would help save water and solve the saltiness issue at the same time.

However, he said managing the problem remained tough, as water released from Chao Phraya Dam took seven days to reach Ayutthaya's Bang Sai district.

Besides adjusting the dam's sluice gates, the Royal Irrigation Department was using Lad Pho canal during a high-tide period.

Royol said the National Nanotechnology Centre would work with the Provincial Waterworks Authority to use a salt-water-treatment system to aid hospitals on the Bang Pakong River.

He said the release of water would also be adjusted at the Bang Pakong River's Klong Siyad and Khun Dan dams, while the Tha Chin River would receive fresh water from the Mae Klong River via the waterworks canal.

Over the next two weeks, the sub-panel will discuss May's water-management plan, the issue of low fresh water and other related issues.

Meanwhile, farmers in Phichit's Pho Prathap Chang district have lamented the shortage of water. In the Ban Hak Rot area, the Yom River is almost dry. Farmers are worried they will lose crops.

In the face of an imminent drought, locals have stopped cultivating off-season paddy fields.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-02-22

'Water-pushing boats were also sent to the Prem Prachakorn and Lat Phrao canals to help add oxygen to the water.'

If this is possible [i'm no expert but I can't see how it is, could be wrong though], what good will it do?

Edited by Bluespunk

In the last week the CP river here has risen about half a meter from the lowest I have ever seen it, presumably from a dam being opened.

I had assumed it was to provide more water for farmers downstream but it would seem there is another reason.

This can only get worse as we are still not really into the dry season and dams are way down and rivers at the head of the catchment are drying up.

Can only get worse from here, going to be a bad year and when some thought it couldn't get worse nature takes a hand.

'Water-pushing boats were also sent to the Prem Prachakorn and Lat Phrao canals to help add oxygen to the water.'

If this is possible [i'm no expert but I can't see how it is, could be wrong though], what good will it do?

I know salt water can't hold as much oxygen as fresh water and that oxygen via aeration is done in bodies of water to help clean contaminated water to help fish survive as well as increase the decomposition of organic type contaminants like raw sewage. Only a guess but they may be aerating for environmental reasons and not related to the drinking issue.

• Like 1

Substitute the words "portable pumps" for "water pushing boats" and you'll find they are used all over the world to manipulate water levels, water flow and aeration.

A boat's propeller is a type of axial flow pump. Not as power efficient as a purpose made axial flow pump, but you use what you have, not what you wish you had.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

I know salt water can't hold as much oxygen as fresh water and that oxygen via aeration is done in bodies of water to help clean contaminated water to help fish survive as well as increase the decomposition of organic type contaminants like raw sewage. Only a guess but they may be aerating for environmental reasons and not related to the drinking issue.

The amount of oxygen added by a boat prop would be so small it just wouldn't be worth doing. The term 'water pushing boats' also implies that they have some notion of pushing water around using boats.

The whole story displays a primary school level of understanding when it comes to water management. There must be civil engineers somewhere in Thailand with an understanding of water management but it seems the decisions are being taken by people with no grasp of what they're talking about.

• Like 2

Substitute the words "portable pumps" for "water pushing boats" and you'll find they are used all over the world to manipulate water levels, water flow and aeration.

A boat's propeller is a type of axial flow pump. Not as power efficient as a purpose made axial flow pump, but you use what you have, not what you wish you had.

Er I can power a small model airplane with a elastic band attached the prop, but this doesnt mean an elastic band will power a full sized plane and get if off the ground....

a boats prop is nothing like an axial pump...

I can confirm the river is not infested with sharks yet or anything else living. Just garbage.

The tide comes in as normal and the river goes up a bit, nothing worth noting. Then it goes out. This happens 2x a day, apparently. Exciting stuff huh?

So hospitals need fresh water? I guess that the millions of people dont need fresh water, thats why nothing has really been done to solve this problem. Just put more water pushing boats on the river, and burn up a few million liters of fuel, great idea!

Er I can power a small model airplane with a elastic band attached the prop, but this doesnt mean an elastic band will power a full sized plane and get if off the ground....

Nothing like it, eh?

Axial_Flow_Pump.png

propeller-pumps-23306-2609439.jpg

Edited by impulse

The amount of oxygen added by a boat prop would be so small it just wouldn't be worth doing. The term 'water pushing boats' also implies that they have some notion of pushing water around using boats.

The whole story displays a primary school level of understanding when it comes to water management. There must be civil engineers somewhere in Thailand with an understanding of water management but it seems the decisions are being taken by people with no grasp of what they're talking about.

Boats are used all over for aeration just as fountains are as well as paddles that you find on some boats used to aerate water ..

31862249.jpg

http://www.panoramio.com/photo/31862249

Boats are used all over for aeration just as fountains are as well as paddles that you find on some boats used to aerate water ..

31862249.jpg

The thing in the photo is an aerator mounted on floating pontoons, not a 'boat'. It's also highly inefficient. The only efficient way to add dissolved oxygen to water is by pumping compressed air through perforated pipes laid on the channel bed.

The thing in the photo is an aerator mounted on floating pontoons, not a 'boat'. It's also highly inefficient. The only efficient way to add dissolved oxygen to water is by pumping compressed air through perforated pipes laid on the channel bed.

And yet, as I recall, every one of the hundreds of fish farms and water treatment plants I've ever visited use surface agitation to aerate their water.

Some use paddles, some use propellers, some use waterfalls, and some use fountains- but every single one uses physical agitation. Possibly because you need to aerate the water, and then move it around so all the water is aerated.

It may be highly inefficient, (I'm not an aeration guy) but it's very practical. Probably why it's the preferred method of Mother Nature. I've never seen a natural air compressor, but I've seen lots of naturally aerated water.

Edited by impulse
  • Like 1

31862249.jpg

As an expert in aeration technology I would agree that this rotating sieve aerator is very inefficient, whereas using fine bubble diffusers at depth are very much more efficient. However, this aerator was designed by his Royal Majesty so we should respect his achievement. To be pedantic, aeration of the salty water using floating aerators/pushing boats would increase evaporation loss and increase the salt concentration of the water. There is a plan to install a barrage similar to that on the River Thames to control the tidal inflow of sea water which when it is built would help alleviate flooding and control the ingress of salty water.

Edited by Estrada
  • Like 1

And yet, as I recall, every one of the hundreds of fish farms and water treatment plants I've ever visited use surface agitation to aerate their water.

Some use paddles, some use propellers, some use waterfalls, and some use fountains- but every single one uses physical agitation. Possibly because you need to aerate the water, and then move it around so all the water is aerated.

It may be highly inefficient, (I'm not an aeration guy) but it's very practical. Probably why it's the preferred method of Mother Nature. I've never seen a natural air compressor, but I've seen lots of naturally aerated water.

Surface aeration is indeed widely used and it does an adequate job. A boat prop is useless as an aerator because it's designed to push water horizontally without entraining air. Compressed air through perforated pipes is by far the most efficient way of getting oxygen into water because you can control the bubble size and pressure.

I am, as it happens, an aeration guy.

As an expert in aeration technology I would agree that this rotating sieve aerator is very inefficient, whereas using fine bubble diffusers at depth are very much more efficient. However, this aerator was designed by his Royal Majesty so we should respect his achievement. To be pedantic, aeration of the salty water using floating aerators/pushing boats would increase evaporation loss and increase the salt concentration of the water. There is a plan to install a barrage similar to that on the River Thames to control the tidal inflow of sea water which when it is built would help alleviate flooding and control the ingress of salty water.

I see what you mean now. It is indeed a great aerator design. I was puzzled why anyone would want to make a bronze statue of a surface paddle aerator.

Surface aeration is indeed widely used and it does an adequate job. A boat prop is useless as an aerator because it's designed to push water horizontally without entraining air. Compressed air through perforated pipes is by far the most efficient way of getting oxygen into water because you can control the bubble size and pressure.

Now I'm curious why every facility I've ever visited uses physical agitation. I suspect that compressed air may be the most efficient way to get oxygen into the water, but not the most cost effective. Compressing air is expensive, and getting that compressed air to where you need it isn't cheap.

A conventional boat prop is probably useless, but not every prop is a boat prop, nor is every boat prop designed to run without entraining air. This water looks pretty nicely aerated.

hbud.jpg

On a more applicable note, here's an example of a prop aerator at work

f750-dual.jpg

Edited by impulse

Now I'm curious why every facility I've ever visited uses physical agitation. I suspect that compressed air may be the most efficient way to get oxygen into the water, but not the most cost effective. Compressing air is expensive, and getting that compressed air to where you need it isn't cheap.

A conventional boat prop is probably useless, but not every prop is a boat prop, nor is every boat prop designed to run without entraining air. This water looks pretty nicely aerated.

hbud.jpg

There are few things less energy efficient than an offshore power boat. Many prawn farms in Thailand do indeed use submerged air pipes to aerate the water. It's just that, because you can see a surface paddle splashing away but can't see underwater pipes, you get the impression that paddles are the only game in town.

There are few things less energy efficient than an offshore power boat.

True, but they're fun to watch....

Probably no less efficient than a bunch of guys and their entourage expending all that energy to whack a 46 gram ball around a field- and infinitely more entertaining (to me anyway) than watching an afternoon of it.

But I digress.

• Like 1

Nothing like it, eh?

Axial_Flow_Pump.png

propeller-pumps-23306-2609439.jpg

OK, we have a picture of an axial pump...now picture a boat in a wide deep river per the Chao Phraya...can you see the differencein the physics ?

Using your approach, I can say an axial pump is similar to a helicopter...tongue.png