X-men Now Showing In Thailand

While I must agree with the sad truth that the replacement director for X-Men 3 didn't live up to his predecessor's work, the film is worth seeing- especially for gays.

I have argued before (at the time of X-Men 2) that there is a heavy, um, cryptohomosexual [god, I love co-opting that word from hysterical Christian lobbyists] component to the film's psychological underpinnings. D*** straight!!!!

I'm not the only one who thinks so- one of the only reasons that such an accomplished, seasoned, famous actor such as Sir Ian would choose to star in what, let's face it, is an overblown comic-book action flick, is that its metaphorical support for the gay community is such an important part of the film's politics.

Remember from the first movie the issue of politicians using "mutantism" as a political security football. Remember from the second movie the issue of "coming out" to one's parents as a mutant. And finally, in the third movie, we have the issue of a "cure" for mutants, and the existence of a "mutant gene."

I point these out primarily for straight viewers, as I am sure the gay viewers would have picked out the parallels immediately and intuitively.

Magneto, the "renegade" mutant, represents the angry and alienated side of the gay community- the one that would get rid of the straights and do without them if it could.

In this sequel he provokes a conflict which leads to open animosity and near civil-warfare between mutants and humans, using the "cure" as a flashpoint.

I've argued on this forum before about the issue of a "gay cure" with the late, great Moog, who felt it would be inevitable and popular. Leaving aside the issue of whether there is such a thing as a "gay gene," an biological issue that I fear is vastly oversimplified when it is discussed, those who believe in such a marker never seem to understand the horrific, genocidal implications of there being one- not only for gays, who could be targetted genetically that way, but also for *straights*, who could also be targetted that way. I believe that was part of the point being made at the end of X-Men 2, where a plot to destroy all mutants by manipulation of Professor X (who can identify all mutants or non-mutants and kill them with the aid of a machine) becomes twisted into a plot to destroy all the humans.

The superpowers stretch the analogy a little bit, though I think as a group gays have more than their share of intelligence and talents- quite possibly because in our repression and the double lives we frequently have to live, we become more reflective and chimeric, and pick up a wider range of skills [not to mention appetites]. We also become more troubled, as the title characters in X-Men are troubled. Without giving away too much, the inner imbalance of one of the main characters is a key part of the plot in X-Men 3.

As in the previous films, the most heartbreaking moments in this film were ones involving parents who could not accept or understand their "different" children- a life-altering experience familiar with most gays either personally or vicariously through at least some of their friends.

I still cringe when a well-meaning straight friend explains that it should only seem natural that he wishes his children will not be gay- after all, it will make life harder for them, won't it? As if I would somehow choose to be different if I could. I like the way I am; I like loving men, and I wouldn't give it up now if I could. I'm horrified of the vision of the nuclear family with the white picket fence and a community of good-old-boys as friends. I feel sorry for any gay children whose parents wish they were different.

They don't understand that we are all needed. There are too many children to nurture properly already, anyway. We are excellent helpers, educators, and healers. And without the straights, we couldn't keep things going by ourselves (or maybe we could, but I would rather not see things done that way). We complement each other. Many past and present societies could see that- gay native Americans were often shaman and medicine people, and gay Amazonians frequently took charge of the children when the adults were off hunting. Many other societies past and present have realised this- but our homophobic modern society seems resistant to the idea.

There are agencies which claim to offer psychological or hormonal "cures" for gays- the results of which have mostly been tragic or laughable- but if any group ever seriously claims to be able to force such a change on someone, you can bet that there'll be an underground backlash that could turn violent- and how many of us would have no choice but to join it?

"Steven"

Ian McKellen made no pretensions about why he's in this flick... he was pissed with the fundies and the ex-gay movement offering this "gay cure". And he really looked pissed during the film I saw last Sunday.

The film totally destroyed the X-men mythology but was still quite exciting. Glad it was the end to the series tho.

You have to admit Ian looks great with Patrick Stewart in the opening flashback.. wondering if he'll like a 3some.. :o

Another pathetic attempt to "gay-ize" (gaydorize? gayify? gayfecate? I dunno...) the mass media.

I wish directors like this would just get off their hobby-horse and provide some fun entertainment without all the ulterior motives and in-your-face allegorical messages.

I'm sure all the straight folks are thrilled and immensely appreciative that you pointed this out, as well. You walk the line between insulting their intelligence and destroying the impact of the message if/when they do get it.

TC,

That was an amazing makeup/effects job- I think it would be much harder to "youthen" actors than to age them.

TT,

Actually, I think the whole minority-angst thing was built into the X-men, and was just waiting to be exploited in relation to a contemporary issue.

Yes, it's true, what we need is a bunch more mindless Hollywood superhero drivel with no issues or drama attached- more SuperFriends, anybody?

I'm also pretty sure the straight folks appreciate you speaking out on their behalf, Toptuan, as you do that so well. No doubt no one should ever say anything, lest it risk insulting someone's intelligence.

"Steven"

Yes, it's true, what we need is a bunch more mindless Hollywood superhero drivel with no issues or drama attached- more SuperFriends, anybody?

Sure, go to the absolute extreme, opposite end to make your point. Nice emotional appeal, but the strategy is transparent.

I'm also pretty sure the straight folks appreciate you speaking out on their behalf, Toptuan, as you do that so well. No doubt no one should ever say anything, lest it risk insulting someone's intelligence.

Pointing out the obvious is what insults

people"s intelligence. Gay or straight. :o

TT,

You might find it surprising how some people miss the "obvious" about gay life.

Getting back to something more topical, here's an eerily related news article that just popped up today:

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&cid=...reisinyourgenes

Your sexual desire or lack thereof could be in your genes, scientists announced today. The discovery might change how psychologists view sexuality.

The researchers found that individual differences in human sexual desire can be attributed to genetic variations. The study is the first to provide data to show that common variations in the sequence of DNA impact on sexual desire, arousal and function, the researchers said.

The scientists, at the Hebrew University of Jerusalem, examined the DNA of 148 healthy male and female university students and compared the results with questionnaires asking for the students' self-descriptions of their sexual desire, arousal and sexual function. They found a correlation between variants in a gene called the D4 receptor and the students' self-reports on sexuality.

The results suggest that low sexual desire might be a normal biological condition rather than a psychological problem, the researchers say. Further, it might be possible to develop drugs to alter sexual desire based on the new findings.

"Steven"

The movie may have made a move to support the Gay Community in the films, but I wouldn't say that the story of the X-Men is for the Gay Community. That's the beauty of the story, that it is a metaphor for any opression and excepting differences. I am glad they singled out the Gay Community though. American needs voices of reason right now, even if they come from Comic Book Superheros in tights. :o

I will go to see X men for the sexy Hugh (huge! :D ) Jackman & nothing else. I am sure there are many many members of the gay community world wide who will be watching it for the same reason :D:o

I will go to see X men for the sexy Hugh (huge! :D ) Jackman & nothing else. I am sure there are many many members of the gay community world wide who will be watching it for the same reason :D:o

Huge? I thought he was kinds short, like Cruise?

err no, 6'2. and loverly, yum yum

Well, that's not right. He plays Wolverine who is supposed to be short, real short. Oh well. He lends his voice to an Ardman movie coming soon Flushed I think, can't remember. I like his voice, he should do more voice work for animation.

Guest endure
err, storyline unimportant, hot looking men in tight fitting clothes important. jeez :o

Way to go, sister :D

I liked the movie, but boy did they take liberties - killed off many characters or made them non-mutant. :D Nothing like the comic book - so be prepared.

They lost me at the first movie. :D

And watching the blue female mutant (can't remember the name) in her human shape was not bad either :o

I liked the movie, but boy did they take liberties - killed off many characters or made them non-mutant. :D Nothing like the comic book - so be prepared.

And watching the blue female mutant (can't remember the name) in her human shape was not bad either :o

Mystique (sp?)

Mystique (sp?)

Ah yah, that's the one :D

I can't or shouldn't speak for other people, but I can't help trying to figure out what's in their heads.

As for subliminal messages in stories, they often go right over my head, and I'm no dummy. I'm easily distracted and I am a superficial observer at first, esp. in books and movies that are fast-moving.

I started creeping out of my gay closet in 1984, and there are still signals I miss, which other folks see coming on their gaydar from a light year away. So I assume that many straight people, or most straights, would need more than a gentle hint at a hidden message. Then you've got the homophobes who are programmed to see all the wrong messages, and they miss the other messages.

But yeah, by X-Men 2, the minority status of the mutants was obvious enough, and when the teenager tried to come out to his family, that couldn't have been more clear as to an allegory about homosexuality.

Guest endure

all of it love :D well, maybe not the facial hair :D& the claws could be interesting :D

Aw, what's wrong with lamb chops, Elivs had them? :D

I thought the King was a hamburger man? :o

all of it love :D well, maybe not the facial hair :D& the claws could be interesting :D

Aw, what's wrong with lamb chops, Elivs had them? :D

You might be joking aned I am just missing it, but I am talking about the sideburns. Ones that big are called lamb chops.

No, The King liked fried peanut butter and banana sandwhiches. :D

Guest endure

Aw, what's wrong with lamb chops, Elvis had them? :D

You might be joking aned I am just missing it, but I am talking about the sideburns. Ones that big are called lamb chops.

No, The King liked fried peanut butter and banana sandwhiches. :D

I was - hamburger, lamb chops (bits of lamb that you eat) . Do you have lamb chops in the US? Are they called lamb chops?

lambchops.jpg:D