How much does a chest freezer cost in electricity? Anybody has one for sale?

ikebukuro5

I want to buy a chest freezer but I can't get ANY kind of information or service from Makro...

They are just lined up there outside the store with no sales people, and the person I DID get to talk to after waiting 20 minutes didn't have a clue (not only because of the language barrier, they just have NO idea...!_)

Of course, typically, the website has NO specifications on anything...(http://www.sandenintercool.com/page.php?pid=12)...

I'm looking at either the Sanden 100 L. or the Sanden 200 L.

Not sure how to read the back but it varies between 106 and 117 watts, current rating, I could take a pic of the back if needed.

Any idea how much this will cost me per month on electric? I pay 7 baht per unit.

Cheers!

Edited by ikebukuro5

My guess is that it would cost about 200-300 baht a month to run it 24/7. Depending on the size and efficiency. Unless you have a large family, business, or farm it is not usually worth it. Make sure the seals are good and opening over and over isn't good either. Condensation ruins things quickly. Make sure when freezing things that the bags are sealed tight also it will give a few extra months on things without freezer burn.

I don't care for chest freezers. It's hard to tell/see what's in them when full, and they take up quite a bit of floor space. I like an upright with shelves where you can see what's in it when you open the door.

Much more expensive to run as the cold air runs out every time the door is opened on an upright.

Edited by harrry
  • Like 2

Home Pro have a chart on all the fridges and freezers, showing all info and running costs...

Have 2 large Fridges, the old Panasonic 21 Q is 10 years old fitted new door seals just before Christmas... the side by side large Samsung was 4 years old, repaired many times, November last was not worth yet another repair [estimated repair 14,000 baht] got 700 baht for it from recycle place...

On running cost the new 23 Q Hitachi has a running cost of less than 1/2 of the side by sides... also bought a chest freezer large one 1m 30 long, 3 baskets on top, the cheapest in running cost was Panasonic.

2nd Electric bill arrived Wednesday, again is less than every month last year. so have far more Freezer space and larger fridge space and all cost less.

The only other electric change was I replaced my 10 year old Microwave 23 L Panasonic to a new 23 L Hitachi Microwave.

Agree with -Zeichen- had chest freezers most of my life... I open my Freezer maybe 2x a week, take out and put what I am going to use for next 3 or 4 days into the small freezer on the Fridge

• Like 1

Thanks Ignis for that reply, one thing I am realizing is NOT to buy something second hand? Seems like the repairs can be steep...

Another poster said 200-300 baht a month, is that for a large chest freezer or a small one?

I'm looking at 200 liters, about the size of small computer desk.

Seriously? You are making the decision to buy freezer or not based on a potential cost of 2-300baht per month ?

Sorry mate but if that amount bothers you, you shouldnt be worrying about buying one as you probably could never afford to put anyghing in it.

• Like 1

I found a website that said a 188 litre chest freezer will typically use 270 kw/h per annum. That would be say 1,890B per annum, or 157B per month. I lost the link and can't find it again. That was for NZ so maybe a little higher for Thailand's warmer climate.

But the overall cost is obviously negligible.

Chest Freezers are actually cheaper to run than a standard refrigerator because the cold air is not lost when the door is opened. It's a bit of a fad to convert a chest freezer into a fridge to either save money or use low power solar panels to power it.

• Like 1

Only problem I have with mine is it is constantly full. I bought it mainly to do a monthly trip to Makro and intended when making a stew making 4 serves and saving 2. At the moment it does not have the room to put any of the things I make in. Overall it still saves me money though.

Seriously? You are making the decision to buy freezer or not based on a potential cost of 2-300baht per month ?

Sorry mate but if that amount bothers you, you shouldnt be worrying about buying one as you probably could never afford to put anyghing in it.

On the other hand, the OP may be just a little naive about things mechanical and didn't have a clue whether the monthly cost would be 200 or 2,000 baht.

Anybody with a lick of knowledge would have looked at the kw/H rating label on the back of the freezer and done the math.

• Like 1

I don't care for chest freezers. It's hard to tell/see what's in them when full, and they take up quite a bit of floor space. I like an upright with shelves where you can see what's in it when you open the door.

Much more expensive to run as the cold air runs out every time the door is opened on an upright.

How often do you open it? As Ignus said, he opens his once or twice a week and puts some things in the refrigerator's freezer.

I don't know about "much more" expensive but I don't care. The convenience of opening the door and having everything right there on shelves is worth a little more electricity each month. I doubt that I notice it.

That section of Makro is rented by third-party retailers, not actually sold by Makro

Very spotty schedule for them being staffed, but of course can't expect them to know anything anyway, do your research on the intertubes and then just decide buy or not.

Make sure you get the contact information on warranty and service, again, nothing to do with Makro.

Frankly the model sold at makro is manafactured in Thailand by one of the largest factories of its type in the world. It is used extensively by small business throughout the country. Spares are readily available and cheap which is more than can be said for some of the slightly more modern imports.

Chest freezer, cant live without one of them bad boys :D

Unless you love going shopping everyday, which most people do when living in tiny apartments.

My family tends to stock up with all the deep friend goodies and the months supply of meat i buy thumbsup.gif

Another great thing about chest freezer is you can stock them full of crap you love from your home country.

Frankly the model sold at makro is manafactured in Thailand by one of the largest factories of its type in the world. It is used extensively by small business throughout the country. Spares are readily available and cheap which is more than can be said for some of the slightly more modern imports.

Good to hear that Harrry, I have just bought one.

Good to hear that Harrry, I have just bought one.

I first bought a small one...1 metre...

After a few years I thought the red light was on too much. Service cost 100baht labor and 80 baht thermostat probe.

Later bought a larger one as it was a little small. Wharehoused the other. One day it may come in useful.

• Like 1

"Seriously? You are making the decision to buy freezer or not based on a potential cost of 2-300baht per month ?

Sorry mate but if that amount bothers you, you shouldnt be worrying about buying one as you probably could never afford to put anyghing in it."

Perhaps you don't know Benjamin Franklin's famous quote. The cost to run one stove is the same value of buying 2. 300 baht a month for 10 years isn't free.

The initial investment in a freezer isn't too bad but cost of electricity and loss of product if things get freezer burn adds up.

Most people don't notice the cost of running things. Unless you are as anal as I am about budget most people wouldn't even notice 200 baht in their electric bill. I notice when it fluctuates even 50 baht from month to month.

"Seriously? You are making the decision to buy freezer or not based on a potential cost of 2-300baht per month ?

Sorry mate but if that amount bothers you, you shouldnt be worrying about buying one as you probably could never afford to put anyghing in it."

Perhaps you don't know Benjamin Franklin's famous quote. The cost to run one stove is the same value of buying 2. 300 baht a month for 10 years isn't free.

The initial investment in a freezer isn't too bad but cost of electricity and loss of product if things get freezer burn adds up.

Most people don't notice the cost of running things. Unless you are as anal as I am about budget most people wouldn't even notice 200 baht in their electric bill. I notice when it fluctuates even 50 baht from month to month.

Guess also where you live, for me it saves on fuel... Trip to Makro 132 KM round trip now only every 3 months... nearest Village market 4 KM, better one 14 KM, Big C is 34 KM

I would buy a chest freezer in a flash if I could find one that was frost free. Been looking for quite a while and no can find. I know that all the savings on having a freezer would be wasted on unidentifiable bags of ?? food that would accumulate in the deep dark bottom.

I would buy a chest freezer in a flash if I could find one that was frost free. Been looking for quite a while and no can find. I know that all the savings on having a freezer would be wasted on unidentifiable bags of ?? food that would accumulate in the deep dark bottom.

food that would accumulate in the deep dark bottom.

Why would you have a deep dark bottom ?

Myself bought 8 plastic boxes with handles that stack 2 high on the lids labels state what is in said box.. eg Pork, Beef, Chicken, Fish and so on ..a sheet on kitchen wall is freezer plan shows what is where..

same sort of thing my Mother did 60 odd years ago, only did not have plastic boxes back then.. she used wire cages....... we had 2 shop display type with lids so both very large, would have been hopeless to have loads of bags all white with frost with no idea what was in them..

We got wirebaskets from the manafacturer..an exrtra couple cost round 600baht I think. it is a whilea go though.

If there full are they not to heavy to lift out ?

My plastic boxes are 45 cm x 20 cm with handles, as there straight sided they stack, 2 high come just under the 3 manufactures baskets... cost 46 baht each.

We got wirebaskets from the manafacturer..an exrtra couple cost round 600baht I think. it is a whilea go though.

If there full are they not to heavy to lift out ?

My plastic boxes are 45 cm x 20 cm with handles, as there straight sided they stack, 2 high come just under the 3 manufactures baskets... cost 46 baht each.

Yes they are heavy. we only stack specific long term storage stuff under them.

they mostly act as dividers.

With the containers is there a problem with cold air circulation?

Thanks Ignis for that reply, one thing I am realizing is NOT to buy something second hand? Seems like the repairs can be steep...

Another poster said 200-300 baht a month, is that for a large chest freezer or a small one?

I'm looking at 200 liters, about the size of small computer desk.

We have a small chest freezer which is on 24/7 and I have estimated the running cost at approx 250 baht per month.

The reason I was asking about the cost is that air con units CAN cost 3000 baht a month, I've seen it...

I didn't know it could be as low as 200-300 a month since people in Pattaya told me freezers could cost a fortune...

The wattage on the back of certain models wasn't clear or in Thai...

So now I bought it, and the compressor red light is on 24/7 and the sides are really hot, it seems like it never stop revving and the thing is still about 70% empty, is that normal?

Shouldn't the compressor stop and run like a thermostat or r-con unit?

Cheers!