Creature comforts for old gits.

AllanB

Having spent many, many, many hours on my old NV400, my back was starting to suffer and the alternative was sitting on the floor and getting my asre dirty. They have little stools here, but while using one it collapsed causing me to throw paint over myself.

Anyway, I was looking for some HT cable earlier this week and some chubby Thai mechanic was using a sworn off garden chair which I thought was a good idea. So I splashed out 92 baht and now have my own "Grease-monkey-lounger". I don't get my asre dirty and I can get up quicker too.

Any other ideas to make life easy, especially for the old and fat, please publish here.

post-103189-0-65504000-1393130672_thumb..

• Like 1

A bike stand is a great idea. Air powered available here, but not cheap.

Alternative is to have one made of cement. Tire height about 60 - 70 cm about right for a scooter.

Little lower for a larger bike.

Then you can stand up to do most jobs, but sit and have the deck at the right height for the finicky jobs.

Stool on casters with a tray under the seat a real time saver too.

Use a jack under the frame front or rear to R and R wheels.

I try not to do much bent over / kneeling jobs anymore. My Sportster knee don't like it.

Great idea.

What are you using the cold chisel for?

Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, that did cross my mind too..............whistling.gif

Perhaps the OP hasn't got a comprehensive tool kit eh............sad.png

There ain't nuthing you can't do with a hammer, cold chisel and some mull grips.

Great idea.

There ain't nuthing you can't do with a hammer, cold chisel and some mull grips.

Weeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeell, mt ol' torque wrench might argue that.............laugh.png

Great idea.

Call yourself a mechanic and you don't know what a cold chisel is for...pah!

Someone already pointed out it is used for adjusting the mixture screws, but also decoking and gapping spark plugs, removing fuses and, of course tightening the wheel nuts, if you don't have the right spanner handy.

Actual I use it for getting the carbs in and out, saves grazing my hands.

Most tools have many many uses if you are too lazy to get up out of your Greasemonkey Lounger,,,anyway I am working on accessories for "my invention", beer can holder, radio/ipod player, A/C perhaps, or backside fan,.... for those "special moments"..

Great idea.

Were you an Aussie farmer in the distant past?

Stools with tools are too high for most jobs on a bike, have to bend over, the "GML" is the ideal height for many jobs and at only 92baht, buy another one and make the legs longer.

I have most of the tools I need, just looking for a 3/8" drive socket set with screwdriver bits and allen key bits, they have them in the UK at a decent price. That will make jobs easier, but otherwise I have everything, though I haven't stripped the engine down, beyond doing the tappets.

A bike stand would be nice but a bit extravagant for a ten bob bike. Plus you can't get a cow on a bike stand for milking, the bloody thing would keep falling off, cobber.

Edited by AllanB

Great idea.

Someone already pointed out it is used for adjusting the mixture screws, but also decoking and gapping spark plugs, removing fuses and, of course tightening the wheel nuts, if you don't have the right spanner handy.

Most tools have many many uses if you are too lazy to get up out of your Greasemonkey Lounger,,,anyway I am working on accessories for "my invention", beer can holder, radio/ipod player, A/C perhaps, or backside fan,.... for those "special moments"..

I don't see a tapometer Allan. I trust you do have one!

Great idea.

A hammer?....Nope...you got me, I give up WTFII?

Great idea.

A hammer?....Nope...you got me, I give up WTFII?

Yep

A hammer

Get a couple of mates around and lift bike onto the kitchen table,Then ya can eat your diner while your painting.

Great idea.

My comprehensive tool kit would not be compete without my knockometer :D

post-6366-1393243317272_thumb.jpg

Sent from my SM-T211 using Tapatalk

About forty years ago I bought a Swedish sheath knife, the handle and sheath are made out of ugly plastic, but the important bit is made from a fantastic stainless steel alloy which keeps it;s edge no matter what.

The blade was sharpened to cut conventionally, but the tip has a steeper angle, which makes an excellent deburring tool, I use it for lapping and scraping and, of course cutting most materials. Such a useful tool, I had a small engineering business for 25 years and used it almost every day and I don't think it has never been sharpened.

I have bought probably ten knives since then, but nothing matches this one and all but one have fallen by the wayside, you would think alloys would have improved over forty plus years, but not so and this one was not particularly expensive.

Get a decent knife.....

.....years ago I almost lost it when they found it in my hand luggage on a flight from Sydney to Auckland, the ozzy security guy even held it up for everyone to see along with a switchblade "pencil sharpener" I had in the bag, making me feel like a terrorist. But to my surprise he said I collect it and the switchblade, when arrived at Auckland, which I did. Not sure that would happen nowadays.

Edited by AllanB