Wat Sanamnai

cm das

Anyone out there have personal experience with Wat Sanamnai in Nonthaburi? It's the main temple in the lineage of Luang Por Teean. I really like his meditation method and his teachings and would like to get further into the practice. Thanks.

Edited by cm das

Hello C D.

His meditation method sounds interesting.

Could you summarize it?

The rhythmic hand movements are the basic method in this lineage but LP Teean taught that any repetitive movement - opening and closing the fists, blinking or breathing - can be used instead. Personally, I like the hand movements. I find that this kind of "active" mindfulness practice really helps in the all-important aspect of carrying meditation off the cushion and back into daily life.

I also like LP Teean's straight and simple approach to the dhamma. I've studied Pali and Buddhist philosophy so I have nothing against elaborate conceptual structures per se, but when it comes to applying, as opposed to simply contemplating, the dhamma, I like things simple. LP Teean is far from technical in his approach. Basically he talks a lot about rupa-nama. The idea is that we build up our awareness of physical sensations (rupa) through the rhythmic method. The more we are aware in this way the more we can see mental phenomena (nama) as they arise. And as we strengthen our awareness, we can apply it to knowing the nature of rupa and nama, and their relation to suffering. Eventually, this brings both insight and peace - LP Teean emphasizes the simple point that so long as the mind is filled with awareness, the defilements cannot enter.

This is of course but my own imperfect and limited summary of LP Teean's teaching. I don't see it as fundamentally different from other approaches to vipassana, but I do think it's got a different feel. I'd suggest getting the ebook of "Normality" from the website that sabaijai listed above. It's very down-to-earth and refreshing, in my view. By the way, I contacted the temple and it looks like I'll be going for a short retreat in early April. Maybe I'll have more to report then.

The rhythmic hand movements are the basic method in this lineage but LP Teean taught that any repetitive movement - opening and closing the fists, blinking or breathing - can be used instead. Personally, I like the hand movements. I find that this kind of "active" mindfulness practice really helps in the all-important aspect of carrying meditation off the cushion and back into daily life.

I also like LP Teean's straight and simple approach to the dhamma. I've studied Pali and Buddhist philosophy so I have nothing against elaborate conceptual structures per se, but when it comes to applying, as opposed to simply contemplating, the dhamma, I like things simple. LP Teean is far from technical in his approach. Basically he talks a lot about rupa-nama. The idea is that we build up our awareness of physical sensations (rupa) through the rhythmic method. The more we are aware in this way the more we can see mental phenomena (nama) as they arise. And as we strengthen our awareness, we can apply it to knowing the nature of rupa and nama, and their relation to suffering. Eventually, this brings both insight and peace - LP Teean emphasizes the simple point that so long as the mind is filled with awareness, the defilements cannot enter.

This is of course but my own imperfect and limited summary of LP Teean's teaching. I don't see it as fundamentally different from other approaches to vipassana, but I do think it's got a different feel. I'd suggest getting the ebook of "Normality" from the website that sabaijai listed above. It's very down-to-earth and refreshing, in my view. By the way, I contacted the temple and it looks like I'll be going for a short retreat in early April. Maybe I'll have more to report then.

Thanks CD & Sabajai.

I like to learn of different options.

From what you've written about your experience it sounds like a pretty powerful reminder to be in the present or mindful.

For me, I'm not sure it would be practical out and about in town.

One might get a few stares.

I'm currently using my breath & body.

I focus on breath and possible tension in the body.

You are right though.

One can lose concentration on breath/body, but if your arms are moving around you don't forget so easily.

The downside is that you might appear weird in public.

Many thanks.