Senators challenge PM Yingluck, police

webfact

Senators challenge PM, police
The Nation

BANGKOK: -- The deputy Senate speaker and 18 senators yesterday issued a statement of concern over the current political violence and called on caretaker Prime Minister Yingluck Shinawatra to show leadership in solving the problems.

This should be done "by coordinating with all parties, stressing public interest over personal interest", Deputy Senate Speaker Surachai Liengboon-lertchai told a press conference.

"The Senate, as the only remaining organisation in the legislative branch [following the House dissolution], condemns the people who committed violence as well as the commanders and people behind it as being too cruel and inhumane. They should stop doing [it]," Surachai said. "We call for police officers who are directly responsible for society's peace and order to do their best to protect people without any bias."

The senators called on all sides to avoid instigating problems and to join hands in solving them.

Public Health Ministry's permanent secretary Dr Narong Sahametapat and personnel at Siriraj Hospital mourned for the victims yesterday, condemned the wrongdoers and called on the government to take responsibility.

"From now on, public health personnel will come out to find a solution for the country," he said. At noon tomorrow, health personnel will hold activities to be joined by 800 hospitals, universities and public health agencies nationwide, he said, without elaborating.

nationlogo.jpg
-- The Nation 2014-02-25

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The Senate is dipping its toes into the maelstrom. With the House in purgatory, and with no imminent redemption, the Senate's decisions will become increasingly important over the next few weeks. The Suthepista's plans are still on track... slowly slowly catchee monkey...

• Like 1

This should be done "by coordinating with all parties, stressing public interest over personal interest", Deputy Senate Speaker Surachai Liengboon-lertchai told a press conference.

A little difficult when the democrats and PDRC refuse to participate

Not just them. Phua Thai as well. Example : the EC asked for a meeting, Phua Thai finally agreed in the people's interest? then on the same morning Phua Thai MP's lodged police complaints against the EC!

But it is long past time for dialogue!

Sent from my XT1032 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

• Like 2

If the PM was capable of doing fair jobs, there should not be protesters on the street.

Senators want Yingluck to take the leadership. She should be in charge and take care the business.

All I have seen is that she is in meetings and making some type of generic statements. Nothing has been done.

We have already witnessed some of her job performances. Has she done good jobs?

One of the important questions is that if she is able to handle the job correctly without creating any further problems.

Your guess is as good as mine.

It is shame when the people have to coordinate stemming the escalation of political violence themselves. 2 deadly terrorist attacks in 2 days and it seems that yingluck's priorities were inspecting fruit in Saraburi. OK, she did send a Facebook update. Woppey!!

What statement do you have for the public updating progress made on the investigation? Does Adul have an update? Does Tarit have an update or is he too busy with AV's and Suthep's murder charges? Does anyone from anywhere have any update on progress?

It seems like the PDRC might have to sit in the meeting with the medical staff to try to stem this violence because the government are doing nothing. AGAIN.

Altogether 19 people are dead and 717 injured and police have been unable to arrest a single suspect. Interesting though they managed to quickly arrest suspects in the shooting of Kwanchai Praipana, a very vocal red-shirt leader in Udon Thani. Can't blame the courts for giving them less powers. The police caught as many suspects before the court verdict as after it. None.

If yingluck is doing something about this apart from looking at fruit in Saraburi then tell us. Why on earth the caretaker leader decides to look at fruit when the city and country is in turmoil reflects her true role in this country and in aint as the leader.

TOTALY AGREE !!! ..........thumbsup.gif WHAT LEADERSHIP ???? ... The Fruit looks good ..... cheesy.gif

• Like 2

The Senate is still functioning? Many people will be surprised by this , as it appears to have been completely inactive for the last 3 months. Has it been working on plans or strategies to resolve the crisis...or even been meeting to discuss it? No.

As for Dr Narong, did he not quit 2 months ago, saying he could no longer work for the govt? He's back?

But pray tell where has Yingluck been you seem to know a lot about the senate, lets see your knowledge of the PM on full display.

• Like 1

The Senate is still functioning? Many people will be surprised by this , as it appears to have been completely inactive for the last 3 months. Has it been working on plans or strategies to resolve the crisis...or even been meeting to discuss it? No.

As for Dr Narong, did he not quit 2 months ago, saying he could no longer work for the govt? He's back?

Why would the Senate not be functioning? They've just let the other organs of gov do their tasks - most of whose members were selected by senators in the first place.

The elected members step down on 1 March, elections being held on 30 March. As the remaining selected members constitute just under half the Senate, does that mean the Senate is also, effectively, non-functioning during March? The Senate, too, has a quorum of 50% for voting.

Your bias is showing.

You're avatar fits - perfectly.

In the first place, i have not seen anyone growling , groaning ,moaning and talk about this. But its normal for human beings. we all have a mixture of animosity; don't we. And if PDRC gives in for really the good sake then i guess there should'nt have any bloodshed at all. ....and please stop instigating for more troubles. Pity them all.

cheesy.gifcheesy.gif YL to show leadership ! ?

Sorry I'll have to rush to the local hospital to get my sides stitched.

What an oxymoron ' YL and leadership '. cheesy.gifcheesy.gif

Just because she invariably delegates, doesn't want the job anyway, and is often ignored by her Ministers & MPs, doesn't necessarily mean that she's totally incapable of leading. wink.png

If she'd been showing leadership, for example by addressing the recent mass-meeting of red-leaders instead of looking at OTP-shops, she might have been a calming voice on the street-arm of her family's political movement, she might even have made a timely denunciation of terrorism from-the-stage after news broke of the attack in Rayong.

The caretaker-PM should try it, who knows, she might even help the situation ?

• Like 2

Just once in a while it would be nice to read a source that doesn't come from The Nation.

I think the Nation is a TVF partner, hence no articles from competing media companies.

However, would be nice to have links to longer, more analytical articles that can be found on a variety of websites that are not in competition with the Nation. That might - I repeat, might - decrease some of the ignorant vitriol. coffee1.gif

cheesy.gif alt=cheesy.gif width=32 height=20> cheesy.gif alt=cheesy.gif width=32 height=20> YL to show leadership ! ?

Sorry I'll have to rush to the local hospital to get my sides stitched.

What an oxymoron ' YL and leadership '. cheesy.gif alt=cheesy.gif width=32 height=20> cheesy.gif alt=cheesy.gif width=32 height=20>

She has shown leadership NKK, but only when the strings get pulled and the crux of this problem is still in Dubai

• Like 1

Just once in a while it would be nice to read a source that doesn't come from The Nation.

I think the Nation is a TVF partner, hence no articles from competing media companies.

However, would be nice to have links to longer, more analytical articles that can be found on a variety of websites that are not in competition with the Nation. That might - I repeat, might - decrease some of the ignorant vitriol. coffee1.gif.pagespeed.ce.Ymlsr09gMJ.gif alt=coffee1.gif width=32 height=24>

I think you will find that all media were invited to lodge articles and the Nation was the only one who agreed to supply content. That I think was in Thaskins time , I think the rest were shi!!!t scared they would get shut down.

• Like 1

"This should be done "by coordinating with all parties, stressing public interest over personal interest", Deputy Senate Speaker Surachai Liengboon-lertchai told a press conference." Key words here stop serving personal interests and resign for the sake of the country!

• Like 1

The PRDC has refused to negotiate with Yingluck, knowing she's not really the country's leader. Plus, the reputation of the current government for keeping their word is not good. The protesters also know this, and thus, support the PRDC's stance.

Easy to solve. For the good of the country, the PM should resign. She's lost the credibility to run this country.

It is shame when the people have to coordinate stemming the escalation of political violence themselves. 2 deadly terrorist attacks in 2 days and it seems that yingluck's priorities were inspecting fruit in Saraburi. OK, she did send a Facebook update. Woppey!!

What statement do you have for the public updating progress made on the investigation? Does Adul have an update? Does Tarit have an update or is he too busy with AV's and Suthep's murder charges? Does anyone from anywhere have any update on progress?

It seems like the PDRC might have to sit in the meeting with the medical staff to try to stem this violence because the government are doing nothing. AGAIN.

Altogether 19 people are dead and 717 injured and police have been unable to arrest a single suspect. Interesting though they managed to quickly arrest suspects in the shooting of Kwanchai Praipana, a very vocal red-shirt leader in Udon Thani. Can't blame the courts for giving them less powers. The police caught as many suspects before the court verdict as after it. None.

If yingluck is doing something about this apart from looking at fruit in Saraburi then tell us. Why on earth the caretaker leader decides to look at fruit when the city and country is in turmoil reflects her true role in this country and in aint as the leader.

I really do enjoy reading your comments, djjamie, usually well written and thought out, (not a p*ss take)

Unfortunately not always correct mate, ie, "police have been unable to arrest a single suspect"

I'd like to ask you mate, and others here, to answer honestly,

Q. Do they agree with the court that the protesters are peaceful and have no weapons???, and have ordered that police can NOT arrest "peaceful protesters" or even force them out of an area.

That question asked, I do think there are many peaceful protesters, but also many many violent ones, just as there was in 2010.

So I ask what would you do as a police officer that has had rocks, bolts, ball bearings, bullets and bombs thrown at you and you workmates,

You are ordered to protect people and places, but you can not arrest any "peaceful protesters", you can not move anyone on, you are accused of bombing and shooting your own workmates you may well be latter charged, even sued for negligence your duty,

Lastly, I think the police have plenty of scope to do their jobs, ie, according to the Oxford dictionary, the word "peaceful"

adjective, characterized by peace, free from war, strife, commotion, violence or disorder, a peaceful reign; a peaceful demonstration.

So that means anyone that is doing any of these things listed above are by definition, NOT PEACEFUL, which also leads me to believe that the either courts do not know the meaning of the word "peaceful", or that someone needs to tell the police the meaning so they can stop all this,,,whistling.gif

• Like 1

We're talking about the half appointed Senate, the same senate that appoints judges and makes the courts biased against the PhuaThai party or any party that wins the election that's not the democrat party.

The police havn't been able to catch the suspects attacking the protest sites because the protest 'guards' keep kidnapping them, blindfolding beating and torturing them, even when they try to investigate one of the attacks.. And then the police are supposed to find the culprits after the protesters create a 'buffer zone' around the protest sites making it even easier to speed in on a motorbike with a hit and run attack. Like the police are supposed to 'die' for the protesters after all that shit.

I don't see the military finding the culprits either and they are also present at the protest sites, especially chang wattana where most of the attacks had occurred prior to this weekend.

It is not the governments main priority to protect fascist protesters who stated objective is to overthrow the democratically elected government and replace it with an 'appointed' dictatorship (there's total confusion as to who whould do the appointing but the PAD/PDRC insists on doing some of it and the rest the democrats and their elite friends, the PhuaThai would be frozen out despite winning the last election by a landslide-that's democratic).

• Like 1