I'm being raped by import duties on goods

tbearthai

This is my first time importing goods into port of BKK. I have two new wood burning pizza ovens and two 25kg bags of flour sitting at BKK port. My cost for the goods was 83,869 Baht. The duties were 20% of ovens cost and 30% of flour cost totaling 29,067 + Shipping fees upon arrival at the port were 3,100 + 6,100 for:

Import Customs clearance chg lcl THB

2000/Shp

Service chg THB

500/Shp

Add Paperless THB

1000/Set

Whare H/d THB

800/Shp

Gater chg THB

600/Set

Customs Fee THB

200/Shp

(As Receipt.)

Plus 1,000 to pay the port official.

Total: 39,267

This seems a bit excessive. Is this normal? It's nearly half of what I paid for the merchandise!

Sounds about right. Lucky it wan't 500% tax.

Perhaps making your own pizza ovens and buying locally made OO flour would've saved you money and tax.

I would hate to have to buy your pizzas if you are adding the tax onto the price to make them. 500 baht for a small pizza would be quite high but necessary to recoup your investment.

• Like 1

Sounds approx. right.

Import duty is calculated in a weired way:

costs of goods as per invoice + shipping costs=base of the calculation.

This $$ or Euro amount will be calculated with a wrong exchange rate into THB (they can explain why it is complete right to use this exchange rate....)

Than the duty is calculated

Than from the costs of goods+shipping+duty the VAT is calculated

(yes you are right you pay VAT on the customs duty crazy.gif.pagespeed.ce.dzDUUqYcHZ.gif )

This rip off is worldwide the same.....

First thing is looking at the products....Is it a Pizza oven or is it an oven that could be also used for something different.

Not much chance on the flour....

I don't understand why you imported flour . . you can get all different kinds of flour for making perfect pizza dough at MAKRO or others. Makro even has Italian Wheat flour No. 1.

An Electric single pizza oven PLUS the PIZZA STONE, for making stone oven Pizza, upper & lower heat separately managed, from 20 to 420 degress Celsius, costs 23,000 BAHT in Pattaya and can probably be bought even cheaper in Bangkok at some gastronomy supply houses. For making multiple pizzas, you would have to spend about the same what you spend for your wood ovens, but without the import taxes and fees.

Even better, in Thailand they sell gas-fired (pizza) ovens for making 4-6 pizze at one time, gas from the bottle, with temperature gauges so youcan control upper and lower heats. direct flames, odourless. Using original heating stones at the bottom, your pizze will taste like a Neapolitan stone oven pizza, done and al dente in 4 minutes.

And then there you will have a problem of finding the perfect wood. Tropical wood that does not emmit any unwanted odours . . .good luck in finding some well dried wood at a fair price. . . .I don't want to sound overly pessimistic here . . .

And there always is the option to build your own stone pizza oven. Fireproof cement can be had in Thailand, as well as fireproof oven walls. A no frills thing that can be done with a bit of searching both in Bangkok and the internet.

What surprised me that your ovens were only rated 20% import duty tax. Knowing that for most items the import tax is well over 100% ( 180% on motorcycles!) for many things, the 20% on the ovens are a lucky draw !

Did you check the import taxes on the Thai Customs website before you went into action ? Can't blame them for donig their job, and only their job.

Edited by crazygreg44
  • Like 1

This is my first time importing goods into port of BKK

Welcome to the the club. As has been explained, depending on the items, the minimum one would expect to pay would be about 40%. Then you have to pay to get it delivered to your place of business etc..

Top tip: Before you import anything check the customs tariff......Sometimes it just aint worth it.

Remember u will pay the Tariff and VAT on goods value and Shipping charge. Also if their are multiple items of different tariffs in the box. They will charge all at the most expensive tariff.

Top Tip 2: Open a Shipito.com account, U declare value .....

Edited by negreanu

Believe me the import duties you have to pay are reasonable. You dont necessarily pay duty on the invoice value, if customs think that the real value is higher (even if this is not the case) you could end up paying import duty on their estimate plus a colossal fine. On flour import tax is high because customs assumes you can find local one, this is the reason why they charge 30%. So looks like you got a normal deal. You can always check import duties upfront, this would avoid surprises..

"Raped" seems to be an expression born out of hyperbole !

The import duties charged were fair and in accordance with the law.

Failure to research the implications of importing goods is a personal failure and not an excuse to batter the Customs Officers.