Divided Thailand faces warnings of civil war

webfact

• Replies 227
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

So have any of you on this board thought about what you would do if a civil war were to start ?

Do you believe you would be safe ?

Might pay to think about it.

I appreciate Robby's post. Those who think and plan for any eventuality are the least likely to be unfortunate victims of civil unrest.

I was caught at the outbreak of the Arab-Israeli war in 1973 in the Middle East, and since then have always adhered to the following precautions, also taken from the advice of other expats and journalists who have lived/worked in other unsettled regions of the world:

1. Keep passport & accompanying documents up-to-date with no overstay/visa/tax problems. Consider keeping an open-ended air ticket (where the departure/dates times can be changed) to anywhere out of the region, keeping in mind the precaution in #2.

2. Consider an overland exit point due to the fact that the country's main airports would likely be swamped with foreigners and Thais (with means) who would be taking the most obvious exit route. The airport could be overwhelmed for days or weeks.

3. Keep enough cash on hand (read that: "out of the bank") to safely get out of the country.

4. Have at least one or two transportation back-up plans to your exit destination.

5. Keep a "bug-out bag" -- a small backpack ready at all times (documents, water, essential medicines, cash, etc.)

6. Confide your plans to as few as possible; preferably only to those you trust who might be able to assist you with #2 or #4.

Hope it never comes to having to execute any of these steps, but as the poster suggested--certainly doesn't hurt to think and plan while not under the duress of a sudden emergency.

Very good tips, thanks.

So sad that it has come to this though. A few years ago, if you posted these tips, you would have been called nuts because it was just unthinkable that sh%t would get so bad. Now unfortunately, better safe then sorry. Hell I even have 20 packs of MREs and tons of mineral water stocked up just in case. sad.png

The Reds hope the Military stays in their barracks and the PCRD knows the Military will come out when the Malitia absolutely has no choice.

Unfortunately the wrighting is on the wall.

The Military stands for the Thai people's lives and welfare. Albeit not their prosperity.

They will defend the Kingdom from Civil War and Destrction to the best of their ability.

They do have the weapons, soldiers, and mandate of their mission to defend the Thailand. As well as the underlying support and loyalty of the majority Thai people to protect Thailand.

Even if it means defending Thailand from Violence and Civil War by opposing groups within the Country.

Of course within all of this are those within the Militia that will have Greed for Power and Money.

The violent attacks and threats from the opposing groups only reduces the current caretaker government's ability to remain in office without being ousted by a coup.

You have your thinking way wrong.

The reds are acting on Thaksins orders and he desperately wants a coup to be able to say his proxy Govt has been overthrown.

Then he will bring the reds out to oppose the army but not directly, they will go for soft targets and the army will have no chance, look what is happening in the south and translate that to the whole country.

Yes I have posted that before but there are those who just cant get it through their heads.

PTP and the Shins do not want a coup and lose their power. They are fighting like hell to maintain it.

The Shins will have no chance of regaining power if overthrown. The members of the PTP yes, but the Shins, No.

Once the Coup is done, everything about future governments starts from scratch again. It is similar to PDRC's plan to establish a comittee, except the Military will decide who makes the decisons and also re-writes the constitution etc. That certainly will not be those opposed to the military's mandate.

If there is a coup, they will say they were undemocraticaly overthrown.

Sure there is a possability of internal conflict. No one can say for sure.

• Like 1

Not civil war, more like hit-and-run strikes Iraq and Afghanistan style. Even Americans with much more effective army could do little to prevent the IED bombings.

Bangkok would be the main battleground obviously. Most of the northeast of Bangkok btw voted for the Reds in last elections. Thai army is clearly taking the neutral stance.

• Like 1

So have any of you on this board thought about what you would do if a civil war were to start ?

I appreciate Robby's post. Those who think and plan for any eventuality are the least likely to be unfortunate victims of civil unrest.

I was caught at the outbreak of the Arab-Israeli war in 1973 in the Middle East, and since then have always adhered to the following precautions, also taken from the advice of other expats and journalists who have lived/worked in other unsettled regions of the world:

1. Keep passport & accompanying documents up-to-date with no overstay/visa/tax problems. Consider keeping an open-ended air ticket (where the departure/dates times can be changed) to anywhere out of the region, keeping in mind the precaution in #2.

2. Consider an overland exit point due to the fact that the country's main airports would likely be swamped with foreigners and Thais (with means) who would be taking the most obvious exit route. The airport could be overwhelmed for days or weeks.

3. Keep enough cash on hand (read that: "out of the bank") to safely get out of the country.

4. Have at least one or two transportation back-up plans to your exit destination.

5. Keep a "bug-out bag" -- a small backpack ready at all times (documents, water, essential medicines, cash, etc.). If you have a family, inform family members of a rendezvous point away from heavily populated areas.

6. Confide your plans to as few as possible; preferably only to those you trust who might be able to assist you with #2 or #4.

7. Be sure to be on your embassy's notification list, if it exists. The US Embassy maintains a list of those US citizens who voluntarily register their presence in the foreign country. In times of unrest, regular updates go out by email which are usually helpful and informative to a point. Citizens are duly notified if the US government deems it advisable to vacate the country. Personally, I'd be long gone before it got to that stage.

Hope it never comes to having to execute any of these steps, but as the poster suggested--certainly doesn't hurt to think and plan while not under the duress of a sudden emergency.

Re-posted for emphasis with gratitude.

"We must be ready to come to Bangkok within 24 hours for one purpose... to protect democracy," senior Red Shirt leader Nattawut Saikuar said at a press conference Tuesday.

The Reds will stage rallies over the coming weekends in the northeast as a show of strength, he added.

Protect democracy? Stage rallies. You guys weren't very democratic when you guys prevented the farmers from rallying this morning were you?

It's funny that AFP mentions 'violent incidence' conveniently ignoring the fact that thse 'violent incidences' were mostly directed at the protestors on a daily basis. The protestors have more or less been peaceful but whoever is responsible for attacking them daily is obviously not.

You seem to have overlooked (or in your own words 'conveniently ignored') these parts of the article:

A rally spokesman said that gunmen had attacked the camp...a four-year-old boy and his sister, 6, were killed Sunday by a grenade at a protest site ... a day after a five-year-old girl was shot dead at a rally in eastern Thailand.

Or don't you bother reading the whole article? Perhaps too busy watching BlueSky TV?

so why is no one doing anything to prevent or deter the people who throw grenades and shoot at innocent people?

It would be interesting to see what was in the job description for a Policeman here in Thailand. I wonder if upholding the law is top of the agenda?

• Like 1

"We must be ready to come to Bangkok within 24 hours for one purpose... to protect democracy," senior Red Shirt leader Nattawut Saikuar said at a press conference Tuesday.

The Reds will stage rallies over the coming weekends in the northeast as a show of strength, he added.

Protect democracy? Stage rallies. You guys weren't very democratic when you guys prevented the farmers from rallying this morning were you?

It's funny that AFP mentions 'violent incidence' conveniently ignoring the fact that thse 'violent incidences' were mostly directed at the protestors on a daily basis. The protestors have more or less been peaceful but whoever is responsible for attacking them daily is obviously not.

yes of course to 'protect democracy' you think the fascist Suthep will 'protect democracy'? where is Suthep's plans? reforms? who makes up the fascist Council? we don't know anything about his 'alternative to democracy'

only we must trust Suthep

let the people decide at an ELECTION - that's the democratic way

PS I'm against violence and will condemn it on EITHER side as should we all - good piece from AFP

I trust the 'fascist' over the red shirts false 'democracy' anytime. Reforms first then elections. Until the problems are fixed, democracy will continue to fail this country. You guys talk a lot of about elections and democracy and yet we've seen years of unrest and kleptocracy. The violence that's happening right now is what Shinawatra 'democracy' has brought us. You guys love red democracy so much. Wait till they come to Bangkok again and when there are ashes of burnt buildings again like 2010, you'll see what red democracy is about.

Reforms here will take decades...not some amorphous slogan to jam into everybody's head... as if it is going to happen in a year or two...yes the street wars may go away... but before you know it same same..not different... gonna be along haul I fear ....there won't be elections for years and years if one follows that logic TV Gerry...

• Like 1

You seem to have overlooked (or in your own words 'conveniently ignored') these parts of the article:

A rally spokesman said that gunmen had attacked the camp...a four-year-old boy and his sister, 6, were killed Sunday by a grenade at a protest site ... a day after a five-year-old girl was shot dead at a rally in eastern Thailand.

Or don't you bother reading the whole article? Perhaps too busy watching BlueSky TV?

I did read it and I didn't ignore it.

They mentioned the last two attacks while conveniently ignoring that the other instances of violence were mostly committed against the protestors. When you write like that, to a person who doesn't know what's really happening, it makes it sound like the protestors are as much the guilty party when that's not true. They're the ones getting shot at and grenades thrown at on a daily basis.

• Like 1

If it looked like a civil war was on the cards then the Army would have to step in and bang some heads together. It might well come to that now that the Reds are getting rather bold again and neither side seems keen on backing down and talking to each other sadly. There is little we can do apart from watch and hope that a solution is found to avert a full blown conflict.

I guess its too much to ask that the people involves might try and put the country first.

• Like 1

Both parties are violent, but we are facing the possibility of a civil war that started the first day Suthep started his rallies.

He's the only one responsible for that and should be stopped before it's too late.

try and get one thing right the protesters got violent to protect themselves is that not acceptable ...wai2.gif and there still being bombed..

All the talk about the "neutral" army putting things straight brings up one interesting point: It is significant to note that the vast number of rank-and-file in the army--the lowly foot soldiers--are made up of recruits and conscripts from the 20-million population of NE Thailand--Isaan--the stronghold of the UDD. I wonder how neutral the "privates" would remain in a civil-war scenario, or even another coup? Would their obedience to military authority outweigh their upbringing and home ties? We might get a ringside seat to a breakdown of military authority if all Purgatory broke loose.

• Like 1

5. Keep a "bug-out bag" -- a small backpack ready at all times (documents, water, essential medicines, cash, etc.)

Very good tips, thanks.

So sad that it has come to this though. A few years ago, if you posted these tips, you would have been called nuts because it was just unthinkable that sh%t would get so bad. Now unfortunately, better safe then sorry. Hell I even have 20 packs of MREs and tons of mineral water stocked up just in case. sad.png

Says it all................

The rest of us are getting on with life and running our businesses etc.

Really, 20 packs ??

Well known TV posters who seem to want and support divisive confrontation in Thailand have got their MRE's and exit strategies planned......................

The rest of us will hope that civil war never happens and continue to live here with our Thai friends, families and businesses.

Edited by philw

The reds are acting on Thaksins orders and he desperately wants a coup to be able to say his proxy Govt has been overthrown.

So Thaskin actually wants his government overthrown laugh.png

That`ll do his business interests and ego the world of good thumbsup.gif

I`ve heard it all now!

Yes.

He wants it overthrown by the military because he knows very well it and he is on the last legs.

Once the army takes over he can say his democratically elected Govt was overthrown by a coup and get international sympathy which would do his ego a lot of good.

He would be the injured party and as far as business interest interests go it would give him an opportunity to buy shares at a fire sale price when other investors quit the market.

• Like 2

Hmmm...I will get up, think about eating, talk about eating, eat breakfast, then think and talk about eating again...eat lunch, gossip about the neighbors, think about eating again, talk about eating, eat dinner, watch a stupid Thai soap for two hours, go to bed and fall asleep, dreaming about food. When people start talking about politics, reform, democracy, corruption, I will tell them, that I am getting tired of the same old s&%t and go back to watching my educational soap about the poor girl, who falls in love with the handsome rich guy.

Isn't that what most people do, during a civil war? wai2.gif

• Like 2

Department of Special Investigation chief Tarit Pengdith urged "restraint and patience" on both sides of the political divide, during a televised address by officials handling the security response to the crisis.

Well, i don't know about you, but i feel warm and fuzzy all over. Tarit, that paragon of impartiality, urge restraint and patience, he certainly has, not a single attacker/ child killer arrested yet. Not likely to be one either.