Thai prison inmates earn parole by beating foreign kickboxers in brutal tournaments

webfact

For a slightly less sensationalised view of prison life (and Thai boxing ) in Klong Prem read this:

Life behind bars in Bangkok's notorious Klong Prem prison

KlongPrem1_2713723b.jpg

The popularity of behind-bars documentaries like Banged Up Abroad had probably given me unrealistic expectations as I stepped inside the imposing walls of Klong Prem Prison in Bangkok. I had been ready for riots, drugs, gangs and violence but it soon became clear that life for the 5,246 inmates was much more mundane.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/expat/expatlife/10404275/Life-behind-bars-in-Bangkoks-notorious-Klong-Prem-prison.html

• Like 1

• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

IMHO this emphasizes the strong and urgent need for education reform, and the need to include in basic education: knowledge and understanding of human rights, equal rights, civil societies, respect for the law, equal application of the law, a proper understanding of democracy means, building and protecting the pillars of democracy, etc., etc.

In my original country we started learning these things, often with invited speakers from outside of the school, in second year of high school (if my memory is correct).

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

I think its a good idea.

Gives them all something to aim at and work towards.

Then if they beat one, they get out and will be thankful to farang forever.

Should be some money in taking dives for the foreigners....the bigger the crim...the bigger the fee.

A good thing? So the thug that mugged you and raped your wife goes to prison. Then, a few months later, for beating up a farang wannabe kick boxer, he is released. Justice?

Fighting for their freedom: Thai prison inmates earn parole by beating foreign kickboxers in brutal tournaments and 'bringing honour to their country'

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

So if one lost--will he get some xtra time added on--for " Bringing Dis-Honor " to the country--rolleyes.gif

No the farang gets an extra 10 yrs for making Thailand look badthumbsup.gif

Its not bare knuckle fighting its Muay Thai for petes sake, Its organised just like any other muay thai fight. Other boxers go into the jail to compete. The prisoner wouldn't have been released just on the result of a fight there would have been other facors.

You guys can surly take any oppotunity to knock anything Thai, talk about making a mountain out of a mole hill..........

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Not solely a Thai phenomenon. This was going on at Corcoran prison here in California for years. Gladiator style fights staged by the guards, and if their candidate lost, and they did not feel he had put out the necessary effort, they would shoot him. Only difference, they did not win their release if they won, they just got to stay alive, and maybe an extra bowl of oatmeal or boiled egg. The only way it was stopped was by a guard exposing it, he had lots of proof, and a wild chase ensued across part of california, as prison guards chased him in prison vehicles, attempting to secure and destroy the evidence.

Sounds incredible. Citation please.

Yes, it is incredible. Ordinarily, I would tell you to find it yourself. However, this subject interests me.

http://www.cbsnews.com/news/60ii-classic-a-brutal-prison/

It appears that the 8 guards charged in connection with these antics were acquitted in a trial which drew its jury from the central california valley, where 10.000 jobs are supplied by the local prison system. Fancy that.

According to both prison guards and inmates, staged battles, commonly known as gladiator fights, became a regular entertainment at Corcoran. Matches were set up as guards selected inmates from rival gangs, and released them one by one into the SHU yard. At least one Corcoran supevisor reportedly amused himself by calling the fights like a ring announcer, and many guards gambled on the bouts.

Officer Richard Caruso, who worked at Corcoran, remembers that the fights occurred regularly. "My superiors sometimes called down to the control booth and asked, 'Are you going to have a yard fight?' And the staff told them, 'Yes, we are,'" says Caruso.

In 1995, Officer Caruso and Lieutenant Rigg, after being rebuffed by their prison warden and by superiors in Sacramento, decided to go the FBI to try to put a stop to what they considered the guards' barbaric acts.

Two years ago, 60 Minutes Correspondent Mike Wallace first reported the story of the nation's largest prison system, California's, and one prison there in particular. Corcoran State Prison was being investigated by the FBI because numerous corrections officers -- prison guards -- were accused of staging inmate fights, sometimes wagering on the outcome and then, when those fights got out of control, of shooting the inmates involved.

The original report in 1997 found a shocking state of affairs. Since Corcoran opened 12 years ago, more than 30 inmates had been shot -- eight of them killed -- during these fights. The California Senate has been looking into that violence since that first report.

Didn't see the brutality in the article and seems the foreigners are willing fighters that aren't prisoners.

yes, im having trouble with that too.

everyone seems to be doing this of their own volition.

the training, while counter intuitive in that prisons are training inmates to be hard as nails when they get out seems to be a productive exercise.

it would appear that revenue is generated.

self esteem is built,

where is the brutality?

• Like 1

You kick the &lt;deleted&gt; out of a farang and you bring honour to Thailand, for this we will release you.

Make me realize how much falang is appreciated by Thai's in this country sad.png

• Like 1

Not solely a Thai phenomenon. This was going on at Corcoran prison here in California for years. Gladiator style fights staged by the guards, and if their candidate lost, and they did not feel he had put out the necessary effort, they would shoot him. Only difference, they did not win their release if they won, they just got to stay alive, and maybe an extra bowl of oatmeal or boiled egg. The only way it was stopped was by a guard exposing it, he had lots of proof, and a wild chase ensued across part of california, as prison guards chased him in prison vehicles, attempting to secure and destroy the evidence.

All the officers indicted were later acquitted of all charges. coffee1.gif

Beat the hell out of those hated foreigners...show them how we treat foreign dogs in Thailand...scum of the earth...those foreign devils that come here and prop up our economy...support untold numbers of families...are easily cheated out of their money...and can not seem to get enough of our disrespectful treatment...

I think its a good idea.

Gives them all something to aim at and work towards.

Then if they beat one, they get out and will be thankful to farang forever.

Should be some money in taking dives for the foreigners....the bigger the crim...the bigger the fee.

A good thing? So the thug that mugged you and raped your wife goes to prison. Then, a few months later, for beating up a farang wannabe kick boxer, he is released. Justice?

I would imagine/hope serious crime such as this would not be eligible for such things.

Yes, I wonder why? That actually means nothing. Two fullerton police officers were recently acquited of beating a homeless, helpless, man to death, although the entire incident was captured on video. As I mentioned earlier, the jury for the trial you mention were drawn from the central california valley, where 10,000 local jobs are supplied by the prison industry. I think the testimony of prison guard Richard Caruso is particularly telling, as is the fact that he was awarded 1.7 million dollars in relation to this incident.

Come to think about it, - cheap way to

-promote Thai sport

-'correct' the injustice in sentencing

-make some additional money for all involved

-deter some crime outside the prison walls

-provide more entertainment for prisoners instead of bread.

• Like 1

That is so thai!

Many years ago when I first moved to Thailand I tried to help a young lady that was being brutally beaten by a man. I reached down and touched the guy's shoulder to pull him off and ask him to stop, in two heartbeats there were a "dogpack" of Thais that surrounded me and told me to leave. Don't even know where they came from but I am a fast learner and never will do that again.

There have been many movies based around this scenario. I remember two but can't remember the names, but were pretty much the same movie, death race is also similar. In these movies they are put into a cage and fight to the death. If you win you simply win your life, but remain in prison. The fights are set up by the guards and the warden who is an ex boxer. The fights are broadcast online so that people can bet etc... does anyone know these movies?

Also check out this article with pictures of what they are actually talking about here in Thailand. These organised prison fights in Thailand date back to the 18th century. http://www.aljazeera.com/indepth/inpictures/2013/12/pictures-thai-prison-fights-2013122511529276114.html

• Like 1

Yes, I wonder why? That actually means nothing. Two fullerton police officers were recently acquited of beating a homeless, helpless, man to death, although the entire incident was captured on video. As I mentioned earlier, the jury for the trial you mention were drawn from the central california valley, where 10,000 local jobs are supplied by the prison industry. I think the testimony of prison guard Richard Caruso is particularly telling, as is the fact that he was awarded 1.7 million dollars in relation to this incident.

I wasn't questioning the truth of your story just because of the acquittals - it just seemed further proof of police corruption covered up by further corruption, and not just in Thailand.

• Like 2

You kick the &lt;deleted&gt; out of a farang and you bring honour to Thailand, for this we will release you.

Indeed !

The nationalistic undertone, of bringing honor to Thailand by beating foreigners, is what makes it even more sickening.

Just winning a bout doesn't bring you honor or glory, no, beating foreigners, that is where the honor and glory comes in.

Pathetic !!

• Like 1

focus27

I wasn't questioning the truth of your story just because of the acquittals - it just seemed further proof of police corruption covered up by further corruption, and not just in Thailand.

Yep, I realized that after I reread your post. My apologies, I may have had a bit too much coffee.