Brit tourist injured, pays B200k after Phuket jet-ski smash

webfact

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Knowing the reputation of jet ski operators in Siam, what do you think the odds are that the speed boat and jet ski owners are well acquainted or related?

Could this be the new spin to circumvent the pre-inspection process? Jet ski can be inspected but who would think to go inspect every speed boat up and down the beach?

With scams against foreigners being looked on as respectable, or even envied by locals, who is going to say the speed boat was damaged 6 months ago and is involved in 2-3 collisions a week?

Edited by unanimosity

Knowing the reputation of jet ski operators in Siam, what do you think the odds are that the speed boat and jet ski owners are well acquainted or related?

Could this be the new spin to circumvent the pre-inspection process? Jet ski can be inspected but who would think to go inspect every speed boat up and down the beach?

With scams against foreigners being looked on as respectable, or even envied by locals, who is going to say the speed boat was damaged 6 months ago and is involved in 2-3 collisions a week?

Unfortunately I think you're not kidding.

Sent from my D90W using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Why is insurance not included in the rental? Full coverage, how much more could it cost?

I think what the money they scam is is the deductible or a way not to have to get the insurance company involved so that they do not have to pay more to them or the association LOL.

Hey I agree with this guy though. If you do not know ho9w to ride a jet ski or any vehicle stay the hell away from it.

• Like 1

These stories are a dime a dozen. Nothing will change, so why even write about it? beatdeadhorse.gif

I'm not privy to a crystal ball that enables me to forecast what will or will not change. That being said, any story that warns of an inherent scam is worthy of being written. An example are stop signs on the roadway. Although many people opt not to heed them and go right through, they do serve as a warning to oncoming drivers to be cautious.

A dime is made up of ten cents. Each cent has some value. How one decides to spend them is up to the individual and not a stranger who doesn't possess them.

Just my two-Satangs worth.

Edited by Benmart

But at least now the police can contact the jetski owner and ensure he insures his jetskis from now on whistling.gif

Hub of insurance crackdowns?

I thought, based on official public statements, that

1. Insurance was compulsory

2. The damn things were going to be removed from Patong.

I do believe I have been mislead.

Or the Thais have been "Thai-ing to us once again"

The British Embassy in Bangkok were called, but Mr Rimmer said that nothing much could be done. -No, you don't say!!

I was not aware of any other problems faced by British tourists regarding jet-skis. - Really?? I think Mr. Rimmer is talking sh**e!! Scams and the rest have been reported for donkeys! What an ass!! I hope he has joined TV.

seems like these stories surface every month or so yet tourists still rent them.

How many people rent motorbikes an have no idea how to ride one ???

An accident waiting to happen, seen while driving my PCX note: wearing a light armor jacket designed for summer driving, fashioned with skid finger-less gloves and helmet with surgical mask... noted while driving up Nakula have seen many times Russian/ German overweight tourist riding double and as if imaginary hazard cones part of a driving test weaving side to side. The driver making correction with shifting weight... Improper fitting and chin strap flopping around in wind. Tourist are part of the problem, many young people rent hi-power bikes and race up and down Nakula, while the Thai youth in the "Clicks" try and keep up with them. Oh yes the Pizza delivery bike is also a threat to normal driving as delivering a pizza is a life and death situation...no regard to safety of slower bikes or traffic. Amazing Thailand, tourist with no scooter experience should keep off roads here in Pattaya, make it safe for everyone.

“If you rent jet-skis or water sports equipment, satisfy yourself that adequate safety precautions are in place. Rent only from reputable, licensed and insured operators, thoroughly check for damage before use and insist on training." If that is the FO's idea of advice for water sports - and many other pastimes - in Thailand, they are sadly out of touch.

“I was not aware of any other problems faced by British tourists regarding jet-skis, and if I was, I would not have done it. Only do it if you are proficient.

This sentence is a complete non-sense , i stop reading this asshol_e history when saw above ........ yes ....sure there is no info about jet ski in thailand over the internet......another <deleted> that feeds the scum

Edited by Wavnarok

Many tourists leave the brain at home.

When in Thailand these people believe they can ride motorbikes and drive jet skies despite having never undergone any tuition and without previous experience!

At least this man admits his stupidity and has learnt from the experience.

• Like 1

A search on Aliepress (.com) yields a new 1300cc jet ski can be purchased from China and shipped to Thailand for US $5,848.14 or about 179,000 baht.

Do you also drive a Chinese car or Chinese Motorbiketongue.png ? lol, These Chinese things differ a lot of that what we are used to! wink.png

I disagree. The Germans now manufacture Mercedes motor vehicles in China.

A search on Aliepress (.com) yields a new 1300cc jet ski can be purchased from China and shipped to Thailand for US $5,848.14 or about 179,000 baht.

Do you also drive a Chinese car or Chinese Motorbiketongue.png ? lol, These Chinese things differ a lot of that what we are used to! wink.png

I disagree. The Germans now manufacture Mercedes motor vehicles in China.

What would you rather have Chinese or Thai made Mercedes ?

No sympathy for him, he rented the Ski, went out and admits to being incompetent on it and crashed it into a speedboat - Tough, now cough up.

Only saving grace is he didn't run over any people swimming as he obviously was not in control

Sorry he is not the victim (well ok, he had his hat nailed on but par the course if jet sking in LOS)

If no one hired them we could all get some peace, but while there is enough mugs you can't really blame the locals for having their pants down really can you?

It would be good to see a serious documentary team making a programme highlighting the various scams that take place here. Tourists come here, spend their hard earned money, for what? To get ripped off by dubious jet ski/car/motorbike etc rental bandits! If that guy had no money, then what....jail? Fully Comprehensive Insurance, training and safety clothing should be compulsory. Just anything to "EMBARRASS" the Thai authorities into regulation to ensure the safety and well being of their guests to the country.....Aah well dream on. By the way, what happens if you own your own jetski, do these scammers allow you to ride around "their part of the sea"...always wondered about that one.

It is easy for us Expats to say that people should know better, however tourists are usually unaware of problems with Jet Ski operators.

Really, ALL rentals (Motorcycle, Car, Jet Ski, everything) should be forced by law to include proper insurance in the rental price, That way the operator is covered and so are the renters.

insurance companies are going to cover idiots who admit to not knowing how to drive jetskis? That will be an interesting defense to get a claim. It's like smashing a semi trailer on the road and then telling the insurance to pay because you didn't know how to drive it

seems like these stories surface every month or so yet tourists still rent them.

How many people rent motorbikes an have no idea how to ride one ???

Even in Spain you need a licence before being able to rent a jet-ski.

A license for a jet ski just proves you can pass a written test. There is absolutely no practice assessment in most western countries

Sent from my GT-N7105 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

"Only do it if you know what you’re doing."

Well. This guy really is an Einstein.

I rented one years ago (before I knew about the scam situation) and took all of about a minute to figure it out. When you release the throttle they slow down very quickly so unless your hot-dogging you can usually get yourself out of most situations. I suspect the unit he rented was malfunctioning.

If you are crazy enough to rent one of these units make sure you inspect it thoroughly and point out any dents, scratches or cracks to the person renting before you even set on the thing. My friend that rented with me was hit up for 50K baht because there was a crack in the plastic chassis that they insisted wasn't there when he took it out. He eventually talked them down to 5K but even then he wasn't responsible for the damage. It's really not worth the risk renting these things in the first place. I was just lucky that I never got scammed.

Why doesn;t the EU make all of its contries issue a bloody warning about jet ski mayhem in LOS?

What are the wainting for, The Spice Girls next reunion tour?

"Why doesn;t the EU make all of its contries issue a bloody warning about jet ski mayhem in LOS?"

Why doesn;t the EU make all of its contries issue a bloody warning about not leaving your brain at home when you go to LOS?coffee1.gif

please excuse my mirth...

"a journalist from Hertford, England"

“ not aware of any other problems faced by British tourists regarding jet-skis"

Yeah, but he'll know exactly how many cats get rescued from trees every year in Hertfordshire.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app