Powder Coating

DrBig

Might be 600 I looked for the receipt but couldn't find it so have tried another way. The actual power coating in inexpensive, the expensive bit is all the faffing around . Disassemble, bead blasting, reassembly.

You have to factor in the price of new bearings if you destroy them when removing. If you want colour other than black/white that starts to get expensive as they have to change the line colour. From memory again about 1000baht to change the line, if you are in a hurry.

This off course is in Bangkok. then you have to add the cost of postage.

Might be 600 I looked for the receipt but couldn't find it so have tried another way. The actual power coating in inexpensive, the expensive bit is all the faffing around . Disassemble, bead blasting, reassembly.

You have to factor in the price of new bearings if you destroy them when removing. If you want colour other than black/white that starts to get expensive as they have to change the line colour. From memory again about 1000baht to change the line, if you are in a hurry.

This off course is in Bangkok. then you have to add the cost of postage.

Where did you get yours done?

I will do all the faffing around myself except the blasting and coating.

My rear wheel doesn't have any bearings as they are housed in the swing arm hub, and the front wheel bearings are already useless anyway and I have new ones waiting in a box at home.

All I have to do is take the tyres off and deliver the wheels to whoever will do the coating for a good price!!

• 1 month later...

Got my wheels back from KKPC last weekend.

Not a bad job. Not great either.

At first glance they are nice:

P_20151114_124048.jpg

But closer inspection shows that the surface of the coating is uneven and dappled:

P_20151114_124131.jpg

In a few areas there are signs of bubbling:

P_20151114_124112.jpg

Anyway, for my project it is fine and for 2,300 Baht I am not going to complain, but if I had taken a 3,000€ set of Marchesinisfor a Ducati down there, I'd be pretty píssed off!

But closer inspection shows that the surface of the coating is uneven and dappled

Ther uneven is probably the casting surface. Did you prep the wheels yourself?

It is an industrial place as you know. They will have sent the wheels out for blasting and then painted them. If the surface was uneven before then...

Yes I can see where the powder was a tad lumpy.

When they are on the bike and you stand back in bright sunlight can you see it? probably not.

If you were buying a Ducati would you get on your knees and inspect the powder coating on the wheels?

But closer inspection shows that the surface of the coating is uneven and dappled

Ther uneven is probably the casting surface. Did you prep the wheels yourself?

It is an industrial place as you know. They will have sent the wheels out for blasting and then painted them. If the surface was uneven before then...

Yes I can see where the powder was a tad lumpy.

When they are on the bike and you stand back in bright sunlight can you see it? probably not.

If you were buying a Ducati would you get on your knees and inspect the powder coating on the wheels?

No, I didn't prep the wheels. They told me that they would blast them (I didn't understand what process would be used though unfortunately). I assumed that they would probably do a better job than I would (and they probably did, I just think that someone else probably would have done beter still).

To me it looks like the coating that is uneven, not the surface of the casting beneath, but I'm no expert. I would be surprised if the wheels themselves have that texture, especially given that it is not uniform.

On the bike of course, they will look fine.

But yes, if I was having very expensive superbike wheels coated, I would inspect the work closely, and I would expect better.

I had the wheels of my RGV coated in the UK a few years back and the quality was much better, but it could be that the Suzuki wheels were better quality metal to begin with, and it certainly did cost a lot more than 42 quid!!

You pays yer money, you takes yer choice, as they say.

Just that I have new steel stuff done there all the time and it comes out fine every time.

All they do is sand blasting (outside contract), degreasing , chem dip etc. then paint they don't custom polish stuff to the best of my knowledge. But as you say for 42 quid!

BTW Twice I have seen a guy with a Ducati shirt there!

Still the best deal around.

http://www.kkpc.co.th/contact-1-1/

I use this company in Bangkok. Cheap, fast and they do speak English. 500thb rear wheel and 200thb for handle bars is what I paid a couple of months ago.

And it was for my Multistrada..

I take it that you are happier than me with the results?

Did you prep the wheel yourself? That would explain the big difference in price too.

You should post a photo, put the other side of the story, so to speak.

Edited by Overandout