Anand Panyarachun named the most suitable neutral prime minister

webfact

He is part of the Elite regime and would never be accepted by the those that voted for a political party in an election. All these NIDA polls seem to come to the same conclusions favoring the elite, they are not to be trusted.

The only way to have a neutral PM is by voting in an election, any other way is just another face for an appointed dictator.

• Like 1

• Replies 205
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When over 60 % of the Thai public think that a neutral prime minister is a good idea, then you know the idea is picking up steam. And with Article 7 set to take effect on March 5 once the period for the convening of a parliament has elapsed, it makes sense to test the public sentiment at this time. Article 7 maps out a path forward in the event of a political vacuum. And it is the constitution that has the ultimate say regarding process. Anything that takes Thaksin out of range is a good thing, and once the public experiences that, they will undoubtedly quickly warm to the experience.

Depends who was asked the question isn't it? If you skew your survey you will get the answer you want, thats why you have elections, its the ultimate survey. With 8 million voting in the February 2nd election for PTP and to add about 2 to 4 million votes due to the 10 000 polling stations shutdown and you can calculate that this survey was done to prove a specific political point.

The result was that a clear majority or 60.30% of the respondents agreed with it, reasoning the present government has lost the legitimacy to run the country

​Look what happened last time the PTP didn't listen to the voice of the majority. The amnesty bill of which over 60% were against it created deep division and violent conflict in Thailand.

Well the majority have spoken again. I bet the PTP have not learnt their lesson.

They didn't take a hint when Thailand had the lowest voter turn out in history last election (if you can call it that) and I bet they don't take a hint now.

Funny how regime leaders always fight to the bitter end. yingluck even said it.

"majority have spoken again"? was there another election I missed? or some minor poll of the elites??? grow up <deleted>

PS 1,650 respondents decide fate of Thailand? your posts are so biased and uninformed it's quite embarrassing 27.82% of the respondents named Anand Panyarachun that's 73% did not choose him can you read?

I know the truth hurts, but it is time to accept the majority even if you don't like it.

Thai Thai's made it very clear through the ballot box (or lack there of) by showing that this election was the lowest voter turn out in Thai history. The lowest in over 70 years. It goes from over 70% to under 50% in less than 3 years. You might hear something now. It is called alarm bells. (UK has a consistent low voter turn out….No alarm bells)

This poll is a broad section of the Thai population, not just the 30% that voted. This poll is the broad section. With me so far?

I will help you understand.

Democracy has a wide potential base of support but offers weak incentives to its defenders. Dictatorship provides stronger incentives to a narrower base. As education raises the benefits of civic participation, it raises the support for more democratic regimes relative to dictatorships.

If anything this polls highlight that the majority have spoken further when you compare the poll and the voter turn out they are in sync. If anything the poll is biased towards to PTP.

If I was PTP supporters I would be happy that 40% still think this govt is legitimate after the abysmal rice scheme corruption. After the minions cheered the terrorists in Trat. Thank your lucky stars for that 40%. If anything the poll is rigged towards the PTP.

The majority have spoken. Time to accept it.

Biased cheesy.gif….Only when it does not suit your agenda...

The election was hurt by the thugs you hero worship - blocking polling stations and intimidating staff and voters (don't get that in the UK 'my friend')

don't hide anymore - we will respect you more - come out and just SAY "I am a fascist" gain some respect (but you ain't got the guts)

you are losing - i bet in your home country you would not support such dictatorship from your hero Suthep (I surmise you are quite 'young' being D J Jamie so I forgive your lack of common sense)

I have met only a handful if Thais who support him and i find the vast majority support Yingluck (as the polls show over 20 years)

You read the papers today about the welcome in Chaing Rai? wait until she heads for other provinces... BKK is not the center of the Thai world - you just think it is (youth is wasted on the young)

Would you support a corrupt pm like Thaksin in your country?

I think you can't read, and again don't answer questions. Trying to twist words, has just made you look even more foolish. Run along Joey.

Joey??? is that some sore of Australian insult? lol

anyway you mean I did not answer the PTP 'principals on democracy'? sorry... it's clear - PTP participated in a free and fair election and won, just as they did yesterday in Chiang Mai. The Dems fear defeat and chickened out - what more is there to say? those are the FACTS

Not an Australian insult.

Still waiting for you to answer questions on the principles of democracy...

Sent from my GT-I9500 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

http://www.thaivisa.com/forum/topic/707013-why-it-isnt-a-class-struggle-thai-opinion/page-5

post #107

Korn as a number of people have already pointed out would be a good candidate. Heis smart and respected, AFAIK not tainted with corruption. However given his links to the Dems it would not be acceptable to The Red Shirts. Really Thai politics needs a total clear out, lifetime bans, asset seizures and tough jail sentences for corrupt politicians. Proxies, should IMO also be banned and this across the board. Sadly, the same old dinosaurs are always involved every time, even if they are banned. It's a mess.

Sorry, I know Korn he is not untainted. He used to work for Finance One run by his uncle Pin Chakkaphak (The Takeover King), as Managing Director of a Jardine Thankom which became the 4th largest brokerage in Thailand. Pin's Father, Prapas Chakkapakk was a Government Minister. Also working for Finance One was Kittirat na Ranong, the Pheu Thai Finance Minister.The Finance One Group caused the Asian Crisis leading to the devaluation of the Baht, by investing in projects without first ascertaining whether they were viable, which in many cases they were not. When the projects started to get into trouble and loans became NPLs. However, Finance One continuously persuaded investors to plough in more money, at one time owning investments making up 0ver 25% of the SET. Major shareholders got wind of what was happening and pulled out their money whilst Finance One was being given B50 Billion to prop them up by the Bank of Thailand although technically Finance One and it's Companies were insolvent. On paper in 1995 at the time of the Democrat Party Government led by Chuan, Finance One valued its assets including those of its subsidiaries, at B520 Billion. In the end Pin fled to New York and then to London where he fought extradition for the charges of fraud against him and his Company until 2012 when the statute of limitations expired. He is now back in Thailand. As a far as I know nobody who ran Finance One has ever been prosecuted for their role in causing the asian crisis and

encouraging investors to plough money the Company when it was insolvent. The politically well connected were forewarned and their investments replaced by Bank of Thailand (Public) money, whilst the small investor were persuaded to carry on investing and of course lost most of their savings.

I like Korn and would agree that he was a very good finance minister, and would make a good PM. However knowing many politicians from both sides, including within the so-called Anti-Corruption movement led by Suthep, I am afraid that it will still be "Business As Usual" when the next government takes over. I hope they prove me wrong.

Korn as a number of people have already pointed out would be a good candidate. Heis smart and respected, AFAIK not tainted with corruption. However given his links to the Dems it would not be acceptable to The Red Shirts. Really Thai politics needs a total clear out, lifetime bans, asset seizures and tough jail sentences for corrupt politicians. Proxies, should IMO also be banned and this across the board. Sadly, the same old dinosaurs are always involved every time, even if they are banned. It's a mess.

Three names that usually come up are Anand, Pridyathorn and Palakorn. Three names that never come up are Thaksin, YL and Chalerm.

There are some who view dictatorship as the only way to go. There were many discussions before Suthep ever hit the streets, but even then, nobody could come up with a candidate who wanted to do it and would be acceptable to all concerned (and there are more than just two sides concerned).

Hence, Mr. Toad, you are right. It is a mess.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 1

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Anand supported the 2006 military coup that abrogated the People's Constitution and overthrew the government of Thaksin Shinawatra. Anand had been a sharp critic of Thaksin for several years prior to the coup, and he blamed the coup on Thaksin. He also stated fears that the military junta would fail and that Thaksin could make a comeback. "When the [Chatichai] government disappeared from the scene [after the 1991 coup] there was no fear it could make a comeback. But over the past five years Thaksin and his party have become too powerful. They have consolidated their hold over the government machinery and certain sectors of the armed forces and parliament. So I think it's a more precarious situation." Anand claimed that the coup was well received by the people and that the military junta's ban against opposition or political activity would not last long. He also noted surprise at the international community's condemnation to the coup.

He is my Man.

Hardly someone that would be nuetral. He obviously is anti-Thaksin and pro-Democrat and supported the Democrats becoming very powerful during its control of the Government. At best only a tribunal type of interim PM could best serve the nation in the most unbiased way. However, such an interim PM has no precedent, may not be constitutional without PTP agreement, and abrogates the electorial process. It has a great potential to lead the nation to a dictatorship.

Me too ... I'd vote for him.

But Thaksin won't like the idea. So he will tell all his Thakisn evangelists to vote "No". And of course they be ordered to start trashing Annand on this forum shortly as well.

You can vote in Thailand?

*Expletive edited out* Who has the right to appoint him if not the people of Thailand? He HAS TO BE elected! Therefore there are election as one sign of democracy. If the he would be elected he might be the right man....

Edited by Scott
  • Like 1

Anand supported the 2006 military coup that abrogated the People's Constitution and overthrew the government of Thaksin Shinawatra. Anand had been a sharp critic of Thaksin for several years prior to the coup, and he blamed the coup on Thaksin. He also stated fears that the military junta would fail and that Thaksin could make a comeback. "When the [Chatichai] government disappeared from the scene [after the 1991 coup] there was no fear it could make a comeback. But over the past five years Thaksin and his party have become too powerful. They have consolidated their hold over the government machinery and certain sectors of the armed forces and parliament. So I think it's a more precarious situation." Anand claimed that the coup was well received by the people and that the military junta's ban against opposition or political activity would not last long. He also noted surprise at the international community's condemnation to the coup.

He is my Man.

who cares what YOU think?

are you Thai? no - so shut up and let Thais decide

There you go!

Then shut this entire ThaiVisa up, and let it be "RULED" by the F88888 Thai!

There are always younger and better people in every country who can do the job "together". If this is the best OLD idea they can come up with.... Nevermind, that's why it's chosen. Copy, show, stubbornly wait for the next corruption with no inner capability.

The result was that a clear majority or 60.30% of the respondents agreed with it, reasoning the present government has lost the legitimacy to run the country

​Look what happened last time the PTP didn't listen to the voice of the majority. The amnesty bill of which over 60% were against it created deep division and violent conflict in Thailand.

Well the majority have spoken again. I bet the PTP have not learnt their lesson.

They didn't take a hint when Thailand had the lowest voter turn out in history last election (if you can call it that) and I bet they don't take a hint now.

Funny how regime leaders always fight to the bitter end. yingluck even said it.

"majority have spoken again"? was there another election I missed? or some minor poll of the elites??? grow up &lt;deleted&gt;

PS 1,650 respondents decide fate of Thailand? your posts are so biased and uninformed it's quite embarrassing 27.82% of the respondents named Anand Panyarachun that's 73% did not choose him can you read?

I know the truth hurts, but it is time to accept the majority even if you don't like it.

Thai Thai's made it very clear through the ballot box (or lack there of) by showing that this election was the lowest voter turn out in Thai history. The lowest in over 70 years. It goes from over 70% to under 50% in less than 3 years. You might hear something now. It is called alarm bells. (UK has a consistent low voter turn out….No alarm bells) It is called trends. And I tell you my friend, this trend is alarming to say the least.

This poll is a broad section of the Thai population, not just the 30% that voted. This poll is the broad section. With me so far?

I will help you understand.

Democracy has a wide potential base of support but offers weak incentives to its defenders. Dictatorship provides stronger incentives to a narrower base. As education raises the benefits of civic participation, it raises the support for more democratic regimes relative to dictatorships.

If anything this polls highlight that the majority have spoken further when you compare the poll and the voter turn out they are in sync. If anything the poll is biased towards to PTP.

If I was PTP supporters I would be happy that 40% still think this govt is legitimate after the abysmal rice scheme corruption. After the minions cheered the terrorists in Trat. Thank your lucky stars for that 40%. If anything the poll is rigged towards the PTP.

The majority have spoken. Time to accept it.

Biased cheesy.gif….Only when it does not suit your agenda...

"This poll is a broad section of the Thai population, not just the 30% that voted. This poll is the broad section. With me so far?"

One man one vote, not one type of man one vote. To be correct for Thailand, 627 of those people should have been Issan farmers, and zero bankers.

Turnout was 47% (see table below) not 30%

"If anything this polls highlight that the majority have spoken further when you compare the poll and the voter turn out they are in sync."

No, it's a push poll, they offer a list of choices, the person asks a loaded question and offers the choices to get a response. It only highlights that, even with a NIDA push poll they can't get a leader with broad support.

Anad was appointed in 1992 by a coup, he's never been elected against an opponent.

Pheu Thai won, more to the point the Vote No was only 16.69%, which is where you'd find the Democrat vote. Democrats lost.

As to the low turnout, perhaps you shouldn't have threatened and blocked people!

Estmimates from Asia Correspondant

12349346013_4365b6b8e1_o.jpg

[Added: Anand got 460 'votes' according to NIDA in this polls, thats 0.00115% of the voters. Why don't we ask the rest?]

If you add the 35% of the votes the Dems got in the last election who didn't vote this time plus the votes from 10 000 polling stations you are back at a 75% voting perventage. To put it plain the PTP have maintained their support.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Anand is a mature gentleman, well-mannered, well-spoken and very honest and a cool choice for a great PM clap2.gif.pagespeed.ce.z5euFoXm0J.gif

Anand the saviour, Anand the Nelson Mandela of Thailand AMEN

cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif Nelson Mandela? he was never a 'coup' choice the was the PEOPLE'S choice through ELECTIONS (you know what they are right?)

he won the hearts and minds of the people and they VOTED him in

it's so embarrassing this ignorance... I WISH we had a Mandela - it's what we need - but not through imposition but through democracy (as in the case of the wonderful Mandela)

go LEARN wai.gif.pagespeed.ce.ptXUXgG4cA.gif

Mugabe, Amin, Marcos, Al Bashir, Hun Sen, Hussein all elected, just for starters.

What are PTPs principles on democracy? And how have they followed them since they were elected the last time?

Thank you very much MrToad when posting these days the problem is no longer a troll but a MOB OF TROLLS and yes in Africa hundreds of millions die and suffer at the hands of internationally sponsored dictators and for those who think democracy is the answer let them go to West Africa and I swear on my tribe that they will never worship a ballot box like a god again

I agree… He would be Good for the country.. And Neutral As much as anybody could be…. Just trying to fill the rest of the government and post with Neutral Persons may be difficult.

The Thai civil service is more than capable of maintaining a functional government, they have some excellent technocrats who can hold ministries together, they certainly could not make the country worse nor make overtly politically risky decisions.

Stability is the key for the country for at least a couple of years..

The most corruption in Thailand is commited by these civil servants. They have received entitlement by the traditional elites and don't fear the law. Good example was yesterdays articles about the Dept of Education. If you read carefully you will see that she never claim that she has not commited the corruption but only talk about procedures that was not followed. Without taking away the power of the elites on both sides, building a very strong anti-corruption agency thats above politics, replace all judges with independant ones, forming a government of national unity to workout the reforms, rewriting the constitution to safe guard the minorities and bringing the military under civilian rule the country cant go anywhere.

...Bullshit! Who has the right to appoint him if not the people of Thailand? He HAS TO BE elected! Therefore there are election as one sign of democracy. If the he would be elected he might be the right man....

A temporary prime minister to fill in whilst reforms are devised to prevent a power vacuum has to be elected!!!! I don't think that you appreciate what needs to happen or what this is all about somehow.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but it is my understanding that Mr. Suthep wants the whole government removed, not just the Prime Minister. And he wants it done by street demonstrations and violence, not the ballot box. Now would one person please explain what you tell the millions of citizens in the majority that a connected and influential group wan't their own puppet in office. Just what do you tell the people?

• Like 1

Anand is a mature gentleman, well-mannered, well-spoken and very honest and a cool choice for a great PM clap2.gif.pagespeed.ce.z5euFoXm0J.gif

Anand the saviour, Anand the Nelson Mandela of Thailand AMEN

cheesy.gif.pagespeed.ce.HaOxm9--Zv.gif Nelson Mandela? he was never a 'coup' choice the was the PEOPLE'S choice through ELECTIONS (you know what they are right?)

he won the hearts and minds of the people and they VOTED him in

it's so embarrassing this ignorance... I WISH we had a Mandela - it's what we need - but not through imposition but through democracy (as in the case of the wonderful Mandela)

go LEARN wai.gif.pagespeed.ce.ptXUXgG4cA.gif

Mugabe, Amin, Marcos, Al Bashir, Hun Sen, Hussein all elected, just for starters.

What are PTPs principles on democracy? And how have they followed them since they were elected the last time?

Thank you very much MrToad when posting these days the problem is no longer a troll but a MOB OF TROLLS and yes in Africa hundreds of millions die and suffer at the hands of internationally sponsored dictators and for those who think democracy is the answer let them go to West Africa and I swear on my tribe that they will never worship a ballot box like a god again

Wow... that's heavy.

Another man of the military who disdains democracy and supports dictatorship, repression, human rights violations and brutality.

So, the coup is almost done. The army has got its new puppet , now it can run the country like in 2006-2011 plundering and sinking the country into the abysm of corruption (as Transparency International ranked Thaksin the least corrupted government in Thai history and the 2006 military government one of the most corrupted) , widespread censorship and human rights abuses (extrajudicial killings, political prisioners, tortures) and repression.

He was surprised for the international community reaction. Of course, he doesn't have an idea of what democracy is, he hates it, while in civilized countries it doesn't work this way from coup to coup.

He is my Man.

who cares what YOU think?

are you Thai? no - so shut up and let Thais decide

He is not Thai, but he loves dictatorship in Thailand and see Thais being repressed by brutal military governments.

Perhaps he was a supprter of the Papadopolous junta too, hence this tilt towards dictators and military men.

• Like 1

In a democracy the person who wins an election is the leader. That is Yingluk she is the only person to have a legitimate claim.

Anything else is a coup. Anything else is not democracy.

[added: it is interest though that they accept that people need to be asked, i.e. they accept the principle of democracy, now if there was only some way we could ask everyone and the people could pick a leader by selecting their party, we could count these paper records, and determinng the winner by some carefully documented method. ]

Really naive rubbish! First of all you need an election that follows the laws and constitution. We don't have that yet. Then suppose the elected MPs elect a PM that is found by a court to have broken laws is that a coup?? If e.g. Clinton had been impeached would you have called that a coup?

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

what a bunch of rubbish. Was is suggested to you by your hero, the multiconvicted pluriassassin Suthep ?

You can go back to your country to promote dictatorship and repression.

Those laws were made by DEmocrats in 1997, changed by the military junta in 2006 and the electoral ones amended by Abhisit.

First they make the laws than they complain they are not good, because they can never win, almost every Thai hate that party and those men you love so much.

Edited by max72
  • Like 1

...Bullshit! Who has the right to appoint him if not the people of Thailand? He HAS TO BE elected! Therefore there are election as one sign of democracy. If the he would be elected he might be the right man....

In the pool of the current/previous MPs do you see any potential candidates that could be accepted by both sides? Perhaps someone from the coalition partners?

Yes, have an election have him run as a candidate for that office!

Cheers

As usual you demonstrate your lack of knowledge. You don't run as a candidate for PM. You run as a candidate for MP.

• Like 1

In a democracy the person who wins an election is the leader. That is Yingluk she is the only person to have a legitimate claim.

Anything else is a coup. Anything else is not democracy.

[added: it is interest though that they accept that people need to be asked, i.e. they accept the principle of democracy, now if there was only some way we could ask everyone and the people could pick a leader by selecting their party, we could count these paper records, and determinng the winner by some carefully documented method. ]

Really naive rubbish! First of all you need an election that follows the laws and constitution. We don't have that yet. Then suppose the elected MPs elect a PM that is found by a court to have broken laws is that a coup?? If e.g. Clinton had been impeached would you have called that a coup?

what a bunch of rubbish. Was is suggested to you by your hero, the multiconvicted pluriassassin Suthep ?

You can go back to your country to promote dictatorship and repression.

Those laws were made by DEmocrats in 1997, changed by the military junta in 2006 and the electoral ones amended by Abhisit.

First they make the laws than they complain they are not good, because they can never win, almost every Thai hate that party and those men you love so much.

Can you find a single post that I have made where I express any appreciation of Suthep? Dumbass!

Out of curiosity:

For those that support Thaksin, who do you think would be a good neutral PM?

For those who support the upcountry Red Shirts, who do you think would be a good neutral PM?

The answers may not, necessarily, be the same.

An elected one.

Number 1 on the party list of the Party winning the election becomes Prime Minister....What is so hard to understand about that.

The electoral majority governs the country...Not an electoral minority in any form.

There is no such thing as a "neutral PM".

The electoral majority is very clear about this.

Any hoisting into the PM position of someone without electoral legitimacy is kowtowing to anti-democratic forces. Akin to the coup-rooted AV when he was forced onto the electoral majority. They took care of that little matter the next election, didn't they.

If anti-democracy is the first choice...OK...Then one can talk about neutral and appointed Prime Ministers.

First decision - Electoral democracy or not...After that, selections for a Prime Minister are very easy.

This is one of the clearest examples of these PAD-Dem rooted Polls such as NIDA seeking to add a 'Public Opinion" veneer to themselves.....Ask any UDD/PTP/RS individual and anyone from the electoral majority who a good neutral PM should be, and one is bound to get laughed or booted out of the room. So one can imagine who NIDA asked the questions of.

Not complicated.

Stick with the thread. What is so hard about this? Not complicated. After all, elections may not be valid for various reasons. Try to think this time. If this is too hard for you, then skip it and move on.

• Like 1