Can I drive a private car with white on green plates?

simon43

This question stems from a previous thread in the Phuket forum about some problems that my hotel staff had with the police at the airport when they collected prepaid guests in a private car (free hotel shuttle service).

To fully adhere to the law, our private car needs to have commercial white-on-green plates, (even though we only operate a free airport shuttle - we do not operate a paid taxi service), but this has not been possible since it was still on finance.

Now, as I am near to opening yet another small hotel at the airport, I am buying an extra car to use both as my own private vehicle AND as that hotel shuttle car.

For the latter purpose, I need the white-on-green plates, but I envisage 2 problems:

- I'm buying this car for cash in my name (foreigner) only. Can a car in a foreigner's name be registered on commercial plates?

- My Thai staff will use this car as an airport shuttle car, but I will also use it for my private use. is a foreigner alllowed to drive a commercially-registered vehicle for private use?

Thanks for advice and solutions to this problem

Simon

• Like 1