Ipstar satellite internet anybody still use?

Sandman77

Hello!

I live in an area where no DSL Is avalible mobile has limited data on google I found ipstar. Com 2600 Bath for 2600 thb for 1 Gb flat!

On Dome 4 Year Old German Website. I read Service disparear When rainining, modem got very hot and faulty often customer service bad for replace, is this information still correct or better now?

I found only one satellite that offer ip service, or is there another?

Only used 2. Hand equipment used for install!

How much the setup?

I'm sorry but I can't recommend ipStar no matter where do you plan to use it.

If you don't get mobile signal, there are mobile repeaters with amplificator and directional antenna kits, they'll make sure you'll get signal or you can use an aircard / mifi device with amplificator + directional antenna (1Watt power!).

If somebody has an adsl about 2-5 km from your location, it could be possible to create a wireless link between that adsl and your home again using some wireless access points and big (very big) antennas.

• Like 1

Have you checked into any of the following to see if they service your area?

Point-to-Point Wireless ISP (WISP)

1. TOT WiNet

2. AIS AirNet

3. 3BB Hotspot

They may have equipment on towers to serve outlaying area.

And, as muratremix mentioned, if you have a nearby area that is served by aDSL with a clear Line-Of-Sight to you (via tall bamboo or metal pole) you could put up your own long-range point-to-point WiFi Link using a couple dedicated WiFi Routers and highly directional, hi-gain (>23dBi) antennas. Years ago I experimented with USB WiFi dongles glued to the dip of a recycled small Sat dish rotated upside-down and pointed the dishes at each other over a distance of 32km, worked fine. Though, if I wanted a permanent install I'd go with WISP-grade equipment.

Sample directional WiFi antenna pics stolen from invadeIT website

post-146535-0-19979300-1393513683.jpg OR post-146535-0-68185500-1393513696.jpg

Satellite Internet would be a last resort.

Hi!

Yes at home in Europe I have also large 3 meter dishes , but the sending strength is limiter by law so if you send to strong and big brother see it's not so good

Here is better to play

Have at home a old Andrew grid antenna but the Americans use another type of plug!

In village we have a internet shop 400 m away but true also reseller of true says not avalible on my house

Only when 5 would sign upanyone know , how much would coasts when pay in stallion coasts alone, when I got no response from tot maybe bad luck

Cat also reseller?

Hi!

Yes at home in Europe I have also large 3 meter dishes , but the sending strength is limiter by law so if you send to strong and big brother see it's not so good

Here is better to play

Have at home a old Andrew grid antenna but the Americans use another type of plug!

In village we have a internet shop 400 m away but true also reseller of true says not avalible on my house

Only when 5 would sign upanyone know , how much would coasts when pay in stallion coasts alone, when I got no response from tot maybe bad luck

Cat also reseller?

At 400m away, I can easily transfer that internet connection to home via wireless access points + antennas.

Perhaps let your girlfriend of wife talk to them. You can tell them that you will pay for telephone cabling from DSLAM box to your home (one time fee) and then you can enjoy true online.

Why? We just in the middle of discusion!

I remember your nickname from my early days in Thaivisa and I wish you listen to me.

1. try to get adsl by offering to pay cabling fees from DSLAM Box (in Thai they understand dee es al am), make sure a Thai person talk in phone

2. if it doesn't work and if you receive AIS 3G 2100 mhz signal, you may talk to AIS Airnet for wireless broadband (like adsl) service.

3. if it doesn't work, you can offer to pay some 300-500 baht to nearest internet owner and install wireless router + antennas to create a wireless bridge and carry internet to your own home, from there you can use a seperate wireless access point to spread wifi within your home (in total 3 wireless access points + 2 outdoor antennas necessary)

4. if it doesn't work, try to find tot 3g signal near your home, with right 3G device and antenna, you can capture its signal and use 1 or 2 mbps unlimited data TOT 3G postpaid package.

• Like 1

The Thai Ministry of Education installed IpStar Satelite receivers for our remote local school in Surin province to receive the ETV broadcasts for schools. However the teachers complained that and equipment was no good. 20 years ago there was only one telephone in the whole village, and even 2 years ago no reliable internet. Now we have True 3G and Internet in the Village. Now the school is using True.

Hi I have a cat internet link via a tiny dish on a very tall pole amed at a cat tower about 6km away, gives me 10 mbt @631bhat per month paid on line .Instalation about 2kbhat two years ago.

Also I have a Yargy aray I used with a previous cat internet link for free to any one who can use it . cant tell u its frequency or band width . the folded dipole is 14cm top to bottom ,1 reflecter, 1 folded dipole and 14directers 1.5 Mt long It has a good length of coax cable attached. Free if you have a use for it. perhaps someone with more knolage than me can calculate its probable frequency.

IPstar gained the nickname of IPcrap for a good reason. I used it many years ago and what a problem it was. If there is any other option I would take it over IPstar

IPStar on paper and at design stage was a very good service.. it was unqualified wallys installing dishes the wrong way that ruined it!

A new service is due to replace it which uses Ka technology, whilst absolute <deleted> in the rain, it will give a better service most of the time.

muratremix has a great suggestion.

You need to ask each ISP if they can install at your house, or how many neighbors as signups are needed before they are willing to service your area.

Many have said nothing happens, UNTIL they say, "How much IF I PAY FOR THE CABLE RUN ?" -- Could cost anywhere from 500-10,000฿ (Not sure if shouting it actually works, but I've read here that offering to pay for the cable and labor did get service run to their house).

If they still say 'not available' then see which nearby house/shop THEY CAN run service and have a Thai friend or sweetie see if they can negotiate with the house/shop owner to agree to have your private service installed THERE.

For example: as you've mentioned, "In village we have a internet shop 400 m away". IF you have a clear line-of-sight to the Internet shop (even if you need a tall pole) you can use a PAIR (2) of either 2.4GHz or 5GHz outdoor wireless devices to bridge the distance and bring the internet the rest of the way to your home:

198685.jpg

TP-LINK 2.4GHZ HIGH POWER WIRELESS OUTDOOR CPE (TL-WA5210G)

TP-LINK 5GHZ 150MBPS OUTDOOR WIRELESS ACCESS POINT (TL-WA7510N)

sold by invadeIT

TL-WA5210G
  • Complies with IEEE 802.11b/g, wireless speed up to 54Mbps
  • Outdoor weatherproof and 4000V lightning/15KV ESD protection design
  • 12dBi dual-polarized antenna to build long distance WiFi connection up to 15km(9.3miles)
  • High Power to boost your signal coverage and link speed
  • Passive Power over Ethernet for flexible deployment
... OR USE TL-WA7510N
  • Complies with IEEE 802.11a/n, wireless speed up to 150Mbps
  • 5GHz solution ensures fewer disturbances caused by other 2.4GHz radio devices and more stable
  • Outdoor weatherproof and 4000V lightning/15KV ESD protection design
  • 15dBi dual-polarized antenna to build long distance Wi-Fi connection
  • High Power to boost your signal coverage and link speed
  • Up to 60 meters (200 feet) of flexible deployment with included Power over Ethernet Injector

Then run a cable from the unit on the pole to an WiFi Router inside your home.

The only downside is that you would have to spec and install all of the components, and since you own the equipment you or a knowledgeable friend would have to troubleshoot, service and replace any components if/when they went bad. I've seen quite a few of these installations used locally in my area to provide service to remote bungalows. Very nice. And it beats Satellite Internet service by 35,764.45km, give or take a kilometer.

Tha's what i got,works a treat.With rainy season approaching i was wondering about lightening strike on metal pole 10 metres in the air.I talked to tech about earthing the pole,but he said not a problem,i'm not so sure.Any ideas.

^^^ If the pole sticks out from the ground, it's already grounded to an extent, if not, I would ground it. You can get a ground rod from Home Pro or similar stores, a few meters of copper wire and a lug to attach the wire. Unless you live in the rocky area, the rod is very easy to install.

Sent from my SM-N900 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

I had the package you mentioned for many years, it worked well the most of the time, but lately it becomes unreliable and that's not acceptable for a service that charges you almost 3.000B per month, so i change it for the 3G which is not as fast but also cost 1/10 of the previous charge( 3G connection become available in this area recently).

When i made my subscription for IP-Star at the local TOT branch, the manager would speak a pretty fair english language and she said i would get part of the money back whenever i would decide to stop the service (i paid 10.000B).

When i went to cancel my contract, the TOT manager suddenly forget on how to speak english (amazing Thailand eh?!) and did not remember anything about the refund....

I then called several IP-Star resellers to have a better understanding on how these charges are calculated, and discovered that basically they are organized in a "Mafia's style" way, they would not tell you anything about the charges but suggest you to contact your local area reseller, as anyone just charge you as their own will, no rules and nobody apparently knows what the others are charging, you must made a deal with the local boss....

Being this Thailand, this way to do "business" doesn't come as a surprise, as many people are just corrupt to the bones, being those small or even big public companies as TOT demonstrates.

Good luck.

For example: as you've mentioned, "In village we have a internet shop 400 m away". IF you have a clear line-of-sight to the Internet shop (even if you need a tall pole) you can use a PAIR (2) of either 2.4GHz or 5GHz outdoor wireless devices to bridge the distance and bring the internet the rest of the way to your home:

198685.jpg

TP-LINK 2.4GHZ HIGH POWER WIRELESS OUTDOOR CPE (TL-WA5210G)

TP-LINK 5GHZ 150MBPS OUTDOOR WIRELESS ACCESS POINT (TL-WA7510N)

sold by invadeIT

Tha's what i got,works a treat.With rainy season approaching i was wondering about lightening strike on metal pole 10 metres in the air.I talked to tech about earthing the pole,but he said not a problem,i'm not so sure.Any ideas.

"...not a problem". They probably said that as a near enough strike will zap the electronics anyway, requiring unit replacement. A direct strike to the pole will probably melt or obliterate the device entirely. A strike can also send destructive current along the data/power line running to your indoor equipment, so having the pole well-grounded so the majority of the current goes directly to ground might reduce the potential destructive zone inside.

Technically, they say you're required to both ground the pole and bond that ground to your electrical ground directly at the service box to prevent differential levels.

• 2 months later...

Had a guy from cat come to the land yesterday who conducted a site test with what looked like one of those tp link devices, result was that we could get 6.5 mb (or was it gb) speed, but it was not stable enough and wasn't keen on installing for us,, as an alternative he suggested point to point via a big sat dish to get sufficient speed and stability, installation and cost of dish was quite hefty though at 30,000 baht,, 3bb aren't in our area but wife's waiting to hear back from tot,,, were out in the sticks, but clear line of sight approx 3km away from AIS mast and another mast,, AIS don't have an option for us

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app