Military personnel are being paid as bodyguards ISOC

webfact

"Criminal organisations" is obviously a coded reference to the PDRC. Very interesting to watch the splits developing in the military. There seems to be only a minority faction siding with the anti-democracy conspirators, while the main body of the army is content to sit on the sidelines and hedge their bets.

That's trouble when you read something with your own agenda in mind. You find the obvious where it doesn't exist.

Naval Special Warfare Command personnel were not only moonlighting as bodyguards, but were also serving criminal organisations after quitting the military.

If you try reading that again you'll see that 'moonlighting as bodyguards' and 'serving criminal organisations' are two separate things. It's possible he was referring to the PDRC but more likely he means just normal criminal organisations. I believe there are some in Thailand.

Just a thought, maybe it's a coded reference to members of the government.

• Replies 95
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

You're correct but they will also identify themselves as good guys when being covert goes overt ;) based on their SOP's.

Lots of blokes out here in Iraq wear country flags, some wore old unit flashes, some wear small items that would make them associated with particular units, but in General Western Special Forces tend not to wear " look at me, I'm special" type of paraphanallia indeed.. that's left to the "Walters"

"Criminal organisations" is obviously a coded reference to the PDRC. Very interesting to watch the splits developing in the military. There seems to be only a minority faction siding with the anti-democracy conspirators, while the main body of the army is content to sit on the sidelines and hedge their bets.

That's trouble when you read something with your own agenda in mind. You find the obvious where it doesn't exist.

Naval Special Warfare Command personnel were not only moonlighting as bodyguards, but were also serving criminal organisations after quitting the military.

If you try reading that again you'll see that 'moonlighting as bodyguards' and 'serving criminal organisations' are two separate things. It's possible he was referring to the PDRC but more likely he means just normal criminal organisations. I believe there are some in Thailand.

"Moonlighting as bodyguards" clearly refers to serving military personnel taking paid employment as bodyguards to god-knows-who while still on the public payroll, surely a breach of military regulations. "Serving criminal organisations after quitting the military" merely refers to their colleagues who are doing the same thing, but are no longer on the public payroll. From the context of the comments there's no doubt who he's referring to here.

It's a very revealing slip that shows how the M79 brigade is regarded by other sections of the military.

It's no different to wearing a unit patch, it's obviously something he's proud of wearing, and what he's doing, he's part of an Elite brotherhood.

Well I don't know about Thailand but as far as I know US Navy Seals and British SAS don't advertise who they are however proud they are.

I would have thought that in a situation like that a Navy seal would be more covert.

Same in Australia an SASR Soldier will never say he is a part of the SASR. Some may work as instructors on army courses and it may be known who they belong to but outside the army it is quite.

• Like 2

"Moonlighting as bodyguards" clearly refers to serving military personnel taking paid employment as bodyguards to god-knows-who while still on the public payroll, surely a breach of military regulations. "Serving criminal organisations after quitting the military" merely refers to their colleagues who are doing the same thing, but are no longer on the public payroll. From the context of the comments there's no doubt who he's referring to here.

It's a very revealing slip that shows how the M79 brigade is regarded by other sections of the military.

I think you're just seeing what you want to see. Ex police and military have been guarding for years and some work for criminal organisations but that doesn't mean it's definitely the PDRC. I'd be amazed if they've all been waiting round for the formation of the PDRC just so they could work for a criminal organisation because there's no other option.

• Like 1

I disagree in the intepretation maybe because I'm not aligned to any side, such as yellow or red, I'd interpret criminal organisations to that of drug dealers and organised crime.

If you have the right background and skill set, then you're a very handy man to have as a Bodyguard/CPO, you're not just hired because you can shoot, you're hired because you have a much larger set of strings to your bow than the average former serviceman, you know more about survaillance/counter survaillance, venue procedures, defensive driving, risk assessment etc.. I could go on, but I'm sure you get the picture.

It's boring this "They must be reds/They must be yellows" all the time, whilst forgetting there's career criminals out there exploiting this very situation to their advantage, not every shooting is black and white, criminal activity from non red/yellow criminals are also being hampered in their efforts to do what they do best!!

And as one poster already mentioned, the focus has been well and truly taken away from the Islamic insurgency in the South, they too will be doing their best to exploit the situation, but some people are too blinkered on hating each other to see, or realise that.

• Like 1

For those who are still on active duty, how are they allowed to leave their duty station for an extended period of time without the approval of their COs? And for those on active duty, there is no policy prohibiting involvement with individuals who have been charged with sedition? Truly, truly amazing.

Of course, there are more details that he would rather keep confidential. So much for transparency and fighting corruption.

A common military scam sees conscripts in the final months of their service leave their ATM cards and bank books with their commanding officers. Their pay automatically goes into their accounts and is withdrawn by the commander. In return, the recruits are not required to turn up for work (often there are not enough barracks for them all) and can take on whatever non-military work they can find for which they do not need a civilian ID (they had to turn these in for military IDs). Moonlighting in security work would be one option for which they at least have some training. Huge numbers of personnel are therefore ready to serve the nation on paper, and being paid for it, but are otherwise phantom soldiers. It would be disingenuous to think there were no similar scams among regular (non-conscript) troops.

Perhaps Thai Visa comments would be more enlightening if they were based on information rather than emotion.

If you are aware of these 'scams' you have more knowledge than me. But a 'scam' is a 'scam' and isn't it the same as corruption - which the PDRC is so intent on wiping out? Emotions aside, do you condone these 'scams'?

Pookiki’s original post asked a question. I contributed information that I thought was a partial answer to your question.

You then ask me if I condone corruption. Rubl (not me) responded to that, which leads you to repeat your question.

I am appalled at the corruption involved here, which to the best of my knowledge has been going on for years. I do not understand why you would question me on this.

I note in passing that the Abhisit government made significant increases to the military budget, a policy continued by the Yingluck government. I would be surprised if no one in either administration was aware that a significant slice of those budget increases was likely to disappear in corruption.

Now I have not monitored every speech from the PDRC stage, but I think we can agree that their anti-corruption stance is focussed very narrowly on corruption that can be traced to Thaksin, his administration and subsequent pro-Thaksin governments, which undoubtedly happened.

But I find it difficult to understand why other areas of large-scale corruption are not also targeted by the PDRC. It seems that the military are not to be questioned on this, by the PDRC or anyone else.

Apart from the military, the anti-corruption literature also points to the police as a participant in large-scale corruption. Now Suthep was head of the Police Commission during the Abhisit government. I have seen no evidence that he made any attempt to use his position to counter corruption (and there are unsubstantiated but plausible allegations that he profited from it).

I am all for an anti-corruption drive. But I worry that a selective attack focused only on one’s political opponents would be, well, rather corrupt.

• Like 1

Confirms What has been rumoured since the protests began,!

Also a great indication of where the war weapons are coming from and who attacked the police with live ammo and grenades. Also as the Thai navy uses multiload 40 mm grenade launchers that can fire M79 grenades.

Also The seals commanding Officer should be relieved of his command to undergo an investigation Re; His attempts at starting a international incident by claiming Cambodians were behind the attacks, offering an alibi for the first (3) arrested seals (on undercover drug investigation) As 60 seals from his command are said to be involved and if he did not know anything about it, negligence of his duties!

They military should order all active duty personnel to cease acting as security for any private personal and look into stopping any payment still be made to those individuals ie: such as retirement benefits.

Their is no place for these loose cannons in a free society!

Cheers

So will evidence be provided to support these accusations, people be arrested, charged and prosecuted in accordance with the law.

No, I thought not. Just the police accusing the military again. Trying to provoke a response? The man in Dubai must be thinking hard again.

Like to see the police do their job, protect all members of society and not just those who happen to support the Shins.

What happened to the 4 reds caught with guns and grenades, the woman caught driving the car from which shots were fired at protesters, the off duty policeman who was caught after shooting at protesters from the back of a motor bike?

The Shins are no more supporters of a free society than any wannabee dictator or have you forgotten their attacks on free speech already?

The military are different then the every day citizen, they are protectors of Thailand against all deemed to be enemies of Thailand, they take an oath of loyalty to the King and the nation. Therefore they are to be held to an higher standard of conduct.

As they are soldiers 24/7, their action while in uniform or not, military discipline is demanded they are in the service to the nation until their enlistment expires The Commanding Officer hold a responsibility for the action of his men, if so many stated number (60) are employed by PDRC then if he is not aware of what they are doing," he should" and that would be negligence, those other people you mentioned look up what the law states.

Cheers

Seems you missed part of the OP again, conveniently.

Here it is : A source said around 60 Navy seals had quit to work as private security contractors or bodyguards.

Quit, as in resigned, not working for the army anymore, not being soldiers anymore.

I disagree in the intepretation maybe because I'm not aligned to any side, such as yellow or red, I'd interpret criminal organisations to that of drug dealers and organised crime.

If you have the right background and skill set, then you're a very handy man to have as a Bodyguard/CPO, you're not just hired because you can shoot, you're hired because you have a much larger set of strings to your bow than the average former serviceman, you know more about survaillance/counter survaillance, venue procedures, defensive driving, risk assessment etc.. I could go on, but I'm sure you get the picture.

It's boring this "They must be reds/They must be yellows" all the time, whilst forgetting there's career criminals out there exploiting this very situation to their advantage, not every shooting is black and white, criminal activity from non red/yellow criminals are also being hampered in their efforts to do what they do best!!

And as one poster already mentioned, the focus has been well and truly taken away from the Islamic insurgency in the South, they too will be doing their best to exploit the situation, but some people are too blinkered on hating each other to see, or realise that.

In the context of his comments I don't think the officer was talking about some vague Thai drug dealing mafia. Whenever Thai SEALs are caught with a car load of guns and PDRC ID badges it's always claimed that they were on an 'anti narcotics operation'.

As for their skill set - if I was looking to hire highly professional bodyguards it wouldn't be this bunch of louts.........

post-70418-0-15084000-1393596027_thumb.j

I totally agree. I would call myself very anti government but I have given them credit on occasions and criticised the Democrats as well. I said I didn't like Suthep when he was still DPM but I have to admit he has a talent for rallying people behind him.

I don't know what was meant but it certainly wasn't an obvious reference to the PDRC whose leaders at the moment haven't been found guilty. You could just as easily say that the PTP is 'obviously' Thaksin's party and since he has been found guilty that the PTP is a criminal organisation based on that logic.

Most of the protesters on both sides are peaceful but there will always be some who want violence. Sometimes this is encouraged by those giving speeches.

Has the popcorn bag shooter been identified yet?

Prbkk,

I you're interested,there is some dam_n good footage for Popcorn guy's group, from one of the blogs worth reading.

Also something I've never seen anywhere else on the news, so this is likely the first place anyone has ever pointed it out in an English language source:

%E0%B8%8B%E0%B8%B5%E0%B8%A5.JPG

This man's band says "Ratchasid Navy Seal'

That is the group of Navy Seals mentioned in this photo.

So not only are they paid guards, they identify themselves as seals while doing it.

Just thought i would point out to you that he is ducking and trying to avoid being shot. Would you not agree?

So that means someone was shooting at them, would you not agree?

The CIA all moonlight in America, this is a well known fact if you own a large business or your a well known person. They are there for hire. Right or wrong this is a fact in most countries worldwide.

So the hiring of Thai Navy seals for protection and self defense is not unusual at all and happens in most countries worldwide.

What the hell are you going on about? Current serving CIA operatives are for hire.......Ah yes, and the SAS hanging out in Pattaya are for rent too. Where do you people get your ideas from .

Also a great indication of where the war weapons are coming from and who attacked the police with live ammo and grenades. Also as the Thai navy uses multiload 40 mm grenade launchers that can fire M79 grenades.

Also The seals commanding Officer should be relieved of his command to undergo an investigation Re; His attempts at starting a international incident by claiming Cambodians were behind the attacks, offering an alibi for the first (3) arrested seals (on undercover drug investigation) As 60 seals from his command are said to be involved and if he did not know anything about it, negligence of his duties!

They military should order all active duty personnel to cease acting as security for any private personal and look into stopping any payment still be made to those individuals ie: such as retirement benefits.

Cheers

So will evidence be provided to support these accusations, people be arrested, charged and prosecuted in accordance with the law.

No, I thought not. Just the police accusing the military again. Trying to provoke a response? The man in Dubai must be thinking hard again.

Like to see the police do their job, protect all members of society and not just those who happen to support the Shins.

What happened to the 4 reds caught with guns and grenades, the woman caught driving the car from which shots were fired at protesters, the off duty policeman who was caught after shooting at protesters from the back of a motor bike?

The Shins are no more supporters of a free society than any wannabee dictator or have you forgotten their attacks on free speech already?

The military are different then the every day citizen, they are protectors of Thailand against all deemed to be enemies of Thailand, they take an oath of loyalty to the King and the nation. Therefore they are to be held to an higher standard of conduct.

As they are soldiers 24/7, their action while in uniform or not, military discipline is demanded they are in the service to the nation until their enlistment expires The Commanding Officer hold a responsibility for the action of his men, if so many stated number (60) are employed by PDRC then if he is not aware of what they are doing," he should" and that would be negligence, those other people you mentioned look up what the law states.

Cheers

Here it is : A source said around 60 Navy seals had quit to work as private security contractors or bodyguards.

Quit, as in resigned, not working for the army anymore, not being soldiers anymore.

He also never intimated the time frame of these resignations..

If 60 Special Forces Operators quit in under a few months from a single unit then you have a very serious problem!!!!

First of all you lose the numbers, then you lose the experience and expertise of these operators and you have to ask yourself if you were their Commander as to why these men left, 60 SEAL's is a pretty big deal IMHO.

In Phnom Penh about twenty-three years ago this was the norm.

Just about everyone who could afford it and thought they needed it was strapped.

Military, UN, ex-military, business people, what passed for policemen, gangsters, pimps, muggers etc.

Just sayin'

"Sometimes, 'fuggedabowdit' just means fuggedabowdit."

Cheers

Cheers

If 60 Special Forces Operators quit in under a few months from a single unit then you have a very serious problem!!!!

First of all you lose the numbers, then you lose the experience and expertise of these operators and you have to ask yourself if you were their Commander as to why these men left, 60 SEAL's is a pretty big deal IMHO.

He didn't have to ask himself anything, he answered in the OP already the reason for their resignation..

to work as private security contractors or bodyguards.

Read : To get a higher income.

Happens all over the world. Police and army are not among the highest paid in any country.

Edited by JesseFrank

Yes, it does happen, but when a unit starts to lose such vast number and 60 Operators from one single unit, isn't small potatoes, then they normally refuse to accept resignations, and normally there's an inquiry as to the reasons and there's typical financial incentives to remain within the unit.

It also makes them less effective as a combat unit, you can't simply replace 60 blokes worth of training and experience in a matter of weeks, you have to go through a rigorous selection process to apply for Special Forces..again yes I know this is Thailand, and Thai SEAL's training is not your average basic training.

I'm sorry, but when you have 60 blokes handing in their resignation, citing it's wank, and they can get paid more elsewhere tends to set off alarm bells ;)

There's no security in security either, it's not a job for life and you have to treat every paycheck as your last !!

"Police and army are not among the highest paid in any country." this is perhaps one of the many reasons why these coppers who are having fingers pointed at them for not doing enough, simply don't wish to put themselves at risk because they're salary's are shyt too ;)

I love how these guys think they are attractive to us, just cause they snarl and smell.

How many passes do they make at me and my friends every night. Do they have no girlfriends? this is perhaps the adventure of their lifetimes. Go to Bangkok and be a hero and get a woman.

• Like 1

"Police and army are not among the highest paid in any country." this is perhaps one of the many reasons why these coppers who are having fingers pointed at them for not doing enough, simply don't wish to put themselves at risk because they're salary's are shyt too wink.png

If you sign up with police or army you sign an oath to do your job to the best of your ability and to adhere to orders from your superior. You have of course the choice to resign, which will acquit you of that oath, or getting getting charged with negligence for not doing your job and risk imprisonment.

They have a similar oath system for prime ministers whistling.gif

It's no different to wearing a unit patch, it's obviously something he's proud of wearing, and what he's doing, he's part of an Elite brotherhood.

Well I don't know about Thailand but as far as I know US Navy Seals and British SAS don't advertise who they are however proud they are.

I would have thought that in a situation like that a Navy seal would be more covert.

Same in Australia an SASR Soldier will never say he is a part of the SASR. Some may work as instructors on army courses and it may be known who they belong to but outside the army it is quite.

unless its changed they would wear sand browns wherever they went on a posting etc, thus denoting where they come from, I wore black but I was there for a course and got to know them pretty well, they dont like to talk about what they do but will confide in those they know well enough. It is all an honour system with them, you earn respect from what you do. On the outside in civvy street it is good enough to get you into some nice paying jobs but again most will not talk about what they did or what they are doing. I never changed mine from black but still got to do a lot of cross work with other specialist units, just pissed that they have now stopped what we used to wear, for a lot of us it did have special meanings. Still remember everything I did while I was in, have to admit I had a ball doing it all and would do it all again if I wasnt to old, just cant stand wanna be's that sprout crap trying to make out they actually served, disrespects all those that have died doing their bit.

• Like 1

I love how these guys think they are attractive to us, just cause they snarl and smell.

How many passes do they make at me and my friends every night. Do they have no girlfriends? this is perhaps the adventure of their lifetimes. Go to Bangkok and be a hero and get a woman.

It's the cocktail of drugs that the guards take to keep them alert - amphetamines and others. These chemicals and lack of sleep scramble their brains. And suddenly, with a Guard badge and a bullet-proof vest, they are given all this power to intimidate people and stop/search whomever they like - it's like slum kids being given the keys to Disneyland.

As for "get a woman" - no chance. When they took the lady spokesperson hostage a couple of days ago, one of the guards threatened her by saying "do you know how long it's been since I last had a woman?" - not the best chat-up line IMHO ...

It's the cocktail of drugs that the guards take to keep them alert - amphetamines and others. These chemicals and lack of sleep scramble their brains. And suddenly, with a Guard badge and a bullet-proof vest, they are given all this power to intimidate people and stop/search whomever they like - it's like slum kids being given the keys to Disneyland.

As for "get a woman" - no chance. When they took the lady spokesperson hostage a couple of days ago, one of the guards threatened her by saying "do you know how long it's been since I last had a woman?" - not the best chat-up line IMHO ...

one of the guards threatened her by saying "do you know how long it's been since I last had a woman?" -

I have been searching all the news articles regarding the short detention of Miss Sunisa, but I can't find anywhere the line you mention.

Do you have a link to that notation, or is it all made up in you head ?

one of the guards threatened her by saying "do you know how long it's been since I last had a woman?" -

I have been searching all the news articles regarding the short detention of Miss Sunisa, but I can't find anywhere the line you mention.

No, not made up in my head. I am Sarbanes-Oxley trained and do not fib.

"Do you have a link" - yes, Youtube clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-ELfi9Y3xQ

00:15-00:21 - do you know how long it's been since I last had a woman?

00:29-00:32 - I don't know what he was implying

00:42-00:51 - and that is what was most unbearable for me out of the whole ordeal

01:45-02:00 - I have to thank the members of the press who were there, because they helped to defuse the dangerous situation

Once again, shades of Shirley (bloody) Valentine

. . . . . You mean like the huge, sunburned nurse-thingies that wash up in Negril, Bali, Barbados, Indonesia, Brazil, Greece, Italy, etc go "on holiday" and score some "richard".

Does it EVER occur to the battalions of female back-packerettes who wash up here after a few bouts of that notoriously slimming dysentery, or tapeworm or starvation (no bangers and mash for three months) . . . . . does it ever occur to these critters that the ONLY reason that a European man would even chance conversation with them is this:

CONVERSATION

Is it NOT painfully OBVIOUS that you, even in the aura of your new-found boniness . . . . .that Thai women here actually enjoy men. They enjoy flirting with them. They do NOT fear them. In fact they are as aggressive about being feminine at we are about checking out their fine attributes.

Yes, we are here . . . . and you (for the most part) are "there".

You are LUCKY that ANYONE wants to have a word with you with your attitude.

Get over it, will you ?

"Sometimes, 'fuggedabowdit' just means fuggedabowdit."

No, not made up in my head. I am Sarbanes-Oxley trained and do not fib.

"Do you have a link" - yes, Youtube clip.

00:15-00:21 - do you know how long it's been since I last had a woman?

00:29-00:32 - I don't know what he was implying

00:42-00:51 - and that is what was most unbearable for me out of the whole ordeal

01:45-02:00 - I have to thank the members of the press who were there, because they helped to defuse the dangerous situation

A fat load of good Sarbanes Oxley legislation ever did

And in terms of qualifications is up there with the 10 yard swimming certificate

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app