Rotten rice frozen at a warehouse in Phitsanulok

webfact

Yummy love that Yingluck Rice. Notice no reds here supporting the rice scam

The usual lot will be here shortly suggesting fake rice, elite rice, amart, democracy, unfair courts etc, etc dont you worry about that.

Brother Number ones Internet Boiler rooms are in overdrive.

Fascist thug rice with fake yellow rats

Sent from my iPhone using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

• Like 2

• Replies 138
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've been hearing that rice sold in Thailand is now carrying a label informing people that it is fresh crop and from storage, if true how on earth are they going to sell this old rotten rice on the open market for anything but animal feed - what a crazy situation

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

just the tip of the "riceberg" wait until they inventory the stock piles and discover how much is missing.

I think the bigger problem is they are going to find more rice than produced by farmers in Thailand.

It's been in that storage for several years, how come the appropriate officials never noticed that the storage is open (birds etc., can easily come and go) which breaks the regulations?

20,000 sacks... can some poor TV farmer please translate that into baht?

I feel an explanation coming on:

Milled rice is difficult to store for more than six months. It is better to store it in its husks. I am advised that no farmer would buy milled rice more than three months old.

Assuming a reasonable price for milled rice is 15 Baht/kilo then 20,000 bags at 100 kilo each would be 30 million Baht.

On the supermarket shelves in the UK that would be about 240 million Baht.

Fumigation stops fungi? Test it to see if it came from Phitsanulok or not?

That looks to me like they have removed one column on the edge of the stack. So if that is the very edge, imagine what it is like on the inside. I suppose, at least there is a chance that they can simply write off the entire stock of rice as damaged and get to zero stock......Take the loss, and just write everything to zero

On the Thai TV channels we mostly see only nice, clean and orderly stacked mountains of stacks just inside the large warehouses, or whatever they're called. It always looks like someone first went past with a duster as if to make sure that no inspector in white dress would even get a smudge on it.

Indeed, imagine how it looks inside the big mountain.sad.png

What is scary, is this is stored on the basis of millions of TONS.

I exported stuff in the millons of kilos, and that requred thousands of square meters of storage, handling, fumigation, cleaning, etc. I really am at a loss about how to handle millions of TONS. I really can't imagine in my head quite how much space that stuff needs. If one or two stacks are in this condition, you can pretty much guarantee that a very high percentage are.

We're talking about 5,000 cu Mtrs for 20,000 bags. It looks to me like about 10% of what is shown is rotten. The rest is quite likely infected to a lesser extent.

Good ministerial regulations about storage of rice are worthless without regular monitoring. But I guess that would cause a lot of face loss and we can't have that can we.

I would love to see a (purely factual) timeline of this entire rice pledging scheme, including decisions made, govt quotes, etc.

A visual representation, nice and clear.

Better still, I'd love to see one from each side, to compare the differences in 'facts'.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Edited by looping

I only eat Basmati rice from India or Pakistan,much better in my opinion than Thai rice,can get it in Villa supermarket when i go to Bangkok, the article also states some of it is from 2011,i no very little about storing rice,but i would have thought this is a very long time to store it,and surely the warehouse operators should know this could happen,maybe they just did not care.

I am so glad that I never eat rice. bah.gif

I only eat Native American wild grain rice I bring back with me from the US. The Thai rice sounds toxic even before they put it in storage and start laying in layer upon layer of fungicide. The rice scam might be the worse thing to happen to any group of Asian farmers since Agent Orange.

Freezing rotten rice doesn't stop it being rotten. Tip to the uninitiated: Freeze stuff BEFORE IT GOES OFF!

I think they mean something along the lines of quarantining it rather than physically freezing it.

Certainly ... it's now worth NIL Baht, because it's unsaleable, even to the Middle-east or Africa, and then there's the cost of transporting/disposing of it, so it actually has negative-value. facepalm.gif

Way to go ... PTP and the Great Thinker ! laugh.png

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

just the tip of the "riceberg" wait until they inventory the stock piles and discover how much is missing.

I think the bigger problem is they are going to find more rice than produced by farmers in Thailand.

It's been in that storage for several years, how come the appropriate officials never noticed that the storage is open (birds etc., can easily come and go) which breaks the regulations?

I suspect there was a mirage, of gently waving brown-envelopes, which distracted them from their official duties ? rolleyes.gif

I think it best to avoid Thai rice for a while. Maybe the next few years, in fact.

We're lucky enough to get all or rice straight off the family farm.

Sent from my very clever thingy that uses battery far too quickly

Certainly ... it's now worth NIL Baht, because it's unsaleable, even to the Middle-east or Africa, and then there's the cost of transporting/disposing of it, so it actually has negative-value. facepalm.gif

Way to go ... PTP and the Great Thinker ! laugh.png

This is what happens when politicians think they can out wit the market

Sent from my very clever thingy that uses battery far too quickly

• Like 1

I would love to see a (purely factual) timeline of this entire rice pledging scheme, including decisions made, govt quotes, etc.

Better still, I'd love to see one from each side, to compare the differences in 'facts'.

Whenever I have cited actual facts, dates, figures and quotes from involved people the usual reaction from those that support the scheme and the government is to go quiet and after a while repeat the same arguments that go against the facts exposed. For example the claim that the NACC only took 21 days to investigate the Rice Scheme before summoning Yingluck or that payments to the farmers stopped when the protests began.

Freezing? Surely not literally, somebody needs a thesaurus.

The English is correct. 'Frozen' means that is not to be touched and there was the act of 'freezing' it. Please don't make yourself look stupid, as I assume you're a native English speaker.

Whenever I have cited actual facts, dates, figures and quotes from involved people the usual reaction from those that support the scheme and the government is to go quiet and after a while repeat the same arguments that go against the facts exposed. For example the claim that the NACC only took 21 days to investigate the Rice Scheme before summoning Yingluck or that payments to the farmers stopped when the protests began.

Anything that goes against their 'red mantra' is immediately expelled by their brain - just as if it had never been read!!!

That's my theory, anyway!!! Either that or it is an inconvenient truth, perhaps.

Freezing rotten rice doesn't stop it being rotten. Tip to the uninitiated: Freeze stuff BEFORE IT GOES OFF!

I think they mean something along the lines of quarantining it rather than physically freezing it.

Freezing has more than one meaning and the term is therefore correct. Quarantine is something different and is not the correct word.

Freezing? Surely not literally, somebody needs a thesaurus.

The English is correct. 'Frozen' means that is not to be touched and there was the act of 'freezing' it. Please don't make yourself look stupid, as I assume you're a native English speaker.

You may consider the English correct, but it uses only one the lesser used meanings of the word, and in reference to food where it most often has a completely different meaning. Surely isolated, quarantined or segregated would have conveyed the meaning much more accurately.

And how much is that going to cost us taxpayers? Millions? Billions?

Corrupt PTP government going to dig into their own pockets to pay us back? bah.gif

Well I make the photo about 26 tonnes, (25 bags high 21 across, 50kg bags)

So pulling a number from the air, say the warehouse had 10 rows of these gone bad, = 260 tonnes

15,000 baht per tonne = 3,900,000 = 3.9 million baht

But most likely they'll sue the warehouse for compensation.

For much of the rice stored, the accrued storage costs will have exceeded the inflated book value of the material when it entered storage. The economics of paying storage costs versus rice value should have been a major concern for this government and the PM, but I guess she missed that.

Freezing has more than one meaning and the term is therefore correct. Quarantine is something different and is not the correct word.

Yes, but freezing (of food) can be easily misconstrued and so is a poor choice of a word in this instance.

I did not say that it was quarantined - I said something along the lines of quarantining it, which is correct!!!

Corrupt PTP government going to dig into their own pockets to pay us back? bah.gif

So pulling a number from the air, say the warehouse had 10 rows of these gone bad, = 260 tonnes

You forget that in the picture only the first row, the one that still get some fresh air from one side, is visible. The ones behind that row will be in a much worse condition.

You forget that in the picture only the first row, the one that still get some fresh air from one side, is visible. The ones behind that row will be in a much worse condition.

I assumed 10 such bad rows just to get an estimate. Please re-read my comment.

3.9 million baht is for 10 rows of the above.

Edited by BlueNoseCodger