Immigrating to Australia already Employed

I am a Canadian employed for over 13 years with the same company working offshore. I have been thinking about moving my family from Thailand to South Australia (I have cousins there). Reading AU Gov sites and other site I can't seem to place what type of VISA to apply for because most VISA are for people seeking employment.

I'm hoping there might be other offshore workers who have experience that may offer advice.

Thanks

Don't do it. You will be horrified by the cost of living. A can of coke is more than three bucks. That over 100 THB. Australia is a welfare state chocked full of single mothers with four kids to four separate fathers.

A single mother of two get about 40 grand a year of welfare without lifting a finger. Everything is priced accordingly.

You on the other hand have kids but, because of your nationality, will not be able to tap into the welfare gravy train.

Are you implying in your original post that your existing employer will essentially send you to Australia?

In the meantime this following website has a whole host of information

How can I get a visa to work in Australia?

http://www.immi.gov.au/FAQs/Pages/how-can-i-get-a-visa-to-work-in-australia.aspx

I am an international commuter I work al over the world offshore. My employer isn't sending me to Australia. I'm just looking for someplace to settle my family that is warm (otherwise my native Canada would be perfect), has Western standards and is English speaking. Since I am already employed and will not be working in Australia I don't seem to fit the VISA profiles on the gov website.

Are you implying in your original post that your existing employer will essentially send you to Australia?

http://www.immi.gov.au/FAQs/Pages/how-can-i-get-a-visa-to-work-in-australia.aspx

I am an international commuter I work al over the world offshore. My employer isn't sending me to Australia. I'm just looking for someplace to settle my family that is warm (otherwise my native Canada would be perfect), has Western standards and is English speaking. Since I am already employed and will not be working in Australia I don't seem to fit the VISA profiles on the gov website.

Would you be establising a Sole Trader / Company in Oz for invoicing your services and paying local taxes? In other words perhaps apply under a skilled independent visa arrangement for you and family. Take a look at the URL below, then would be a good idea to have a chat with a DIAC representative at your local Oz Embassy for feedback.

https://www.immi.gov.au/Visas/Pages/189.aspx

Edited by simple1

aha ! So while you would not be a tourist as such, you wouldn'tqualify as an investor either.

Maybe you would fit into a business category, such as the following?

http://www.visabureau.com/australia/business-talent-visa.aspx

If that doesn't work, why not pay a visit to the embassy in Sathorn Road and get them to advise you direct?

Send a email to the Australian Embassy Bangkok , [email protected] cover all your concerns and ask about everything you want to know, you will receive a reply very quick and they answer all your query's in full. They are the experts not the TV members as I just proved by my last posting.

You may qualify to migrate to Australia the Embassy will let you know, don't take any notice of the bloke saying Australia is no good it is the best country in the world. the lucky country.

• Like 2

My son an English man married to an Australian lady secured the offer of a professional job in Australia.

It took almost 12 months of hard-work and not a little expense to secure the necessary Aus. visa.

I suspect it will be even more problematic for someone who just wishes to set up home in Australia.

Don't do it. You will be horrified by the cost of living. A can of coke is more than three bucks. That over 100 THB. Australia is a welfare state chocked full of single mothers with four kids to four separate fathers.

A single mother of two get about 40 grand a year of welfare without lifting a finger. Everything is priced accordingly.

You on the other hand have kids but, because of your nationality, will not be able to tap into the welfare gravy train.

Australia is also full of bogans prepared to make outrageous and often stupid ignorant comments at the drop of a hat.

You'll need to look it up but essentially you'll need to apply to migrate under the skilled stream which essentially means being under 45 and having the right skill set which the government is currently looking out for.

If you happen to have the right categories it still will take a good amount of time and expense to process it all, the upshot being you will be granted PR at the end of it all.

Maybe I missed it but you don't say what you do.

• Like 1

Has harsh as it sounds given the information you supplied you don't qualify for any permanent visas, as you don't offer the Australian people/country anything or need help eg. a refugee.

Best to speak to the embassy and ask them, but I don't hold much luck that you will get a visa.

I do not know where these people get this rubbish from there are a lot of visa options to OZ

there are family reunion visa (cousin's in OZ)

you can get a family sponsor (cost's a bit)

you can get a 457 from an employer

you can get retirement visa

you really need to get in touch with the OZ embassy they have a small booklet in regard to all this and its nothing to do with offering the Australian people/country anything or need help .

Edited by MikeandDow

I do not know where these people get this rubbish from there are a lot of visa options to OZ

you really need to get in touch with the OZ embassy they have a small booklet in regard to all this and its nothing to do with offering the Australian people/country anything or need help .

If the op is going to qualify for anything is the skilled migration route

http://www.immi.gov.au/skilled/general-skilled-migration/

If the op is going to qualify for anything is the skilled migration route

I am afraid you are not qualified to say that it is only an opinion, there are many visa he can look into as he will have to talk to the OZ embassy to get the correct visa for example he could get a Family sponsor visa as long as the family has the money all I am saying he need to see an expert, not some forum expert who fancy's himself an expert in OZ immigration

Has harsh as it sounds given the information you supplied you don't qualify for any permanent visas, as you don't offer the Australian people/country anything or need help eg. a refugee.

Best to speak to the embassy and ask them, but I don't hold much luck that you will get a visa.

I thought bringing money in the form of my offshore oilfield wages would be welcomed especially since it is generated from outside Australia. Of course as a resident I would pay tax like everyone else.

I thought bringing money in the form of my offshore oilfield wages would be welcomed especially since it is generated from outside Australia. Of course as a resident I would pay tax like everyone else.

You have mentioned you work for a Canadian company, would you consider an alternative employer based or with offices in Australia? As suggested by some your skills would likely be attractive, but from 1 July 2012, all intending migrants interested in the points based skilled migration or business investment and innovation visa programs will be required to submit an EOI and receive an invitation in order to lodge a visa application. URL is below but contact your local Oz Embassy to discuss potential options.

http://www.immi.gov.au/skills/skillselect/

What Australia (like Canada) welcome more is skills. You don't say what you do exactly, but you shouldn't beleive that 'skills' means white collar jobs with degrees. It means skills which the country has shortages of, and this includes many traditional blue collar trades which you have qualified in.

The skilled occupation list is here:

http://www.immi.gov.au/Work/Pages/skilled-occupations-lists/skilled-occupations-lists.aspx

I don't know if your referring to me in this post, but lets answer some of your points

Family reunion visa = There is no such visa, the OP said the only family member was a cousin, cousins are not considered family in any visa options so will not be of any use. There is a remaining relative visa but being a cousin he would not qualify.

Family Sponsor = The OP has no family in Australia, the cousin is not considered as family for visa purposes.

457 Visa = maybe an option, But not if the OP works for a foreign company that doesn't operate in Australia. It appears from his original post that this is the case.

Retirement visa = I take it you mean Investor Retirement visa (subclass 405), again not valid to the OP has he said he has dependents and is still working.

That leaves a Refugee/humanitarian visa's, given the information the OP supplied they don't seem to qualify for this.

My comment about not offering Australian people/country anything or need help may have been a bit flippant and if the OP has skills to offer an Australian employer that's another matter (and has been covered by other posters), but given the information supplied and without making assumptions on the OP circumstances its pretty accurate.

The immi.gov.au website has some very useful visa wizards to give you options on what visa you maybe able to apply for, worth a look first before calling the Embassy if you haven't already.

If the OP wans to really live in Australia, given the information he has supplied he would be best going down the 457 visa route, but that would require an Australian based business to sponsor him, or maybe a Skilled visa (subclass 189, 489,187). But without knowing more detail about the OP these are only an educated guess.

Edited by Surin13
  • Like 1

You'll need to look it up but essentially you'll need to apply to migrate under the skilled stream which essentially means being under 45 and having the right skill set which the government is currently looking out for.

If you happen to have the right categories it still will take a good amount of time and expense to process it all, the upshot being you will be granted PR at the end of it all.

I think that the age limit for an independent skilled migrant permanent visas has risen to 50 year old now. There's hope for us oldies yet.

Visa schemes for foreign skilled workers are intended for people who are actually looking to live (and pay tax) in Oz. The OP could ask his employer to sponsor him for a subclass 457 business visa - temporary residency for 4 years each visa, and can lead to permanent residency in the employer sponsors him for that. The 457 visa requires that the employee be paid locally though, and be fully employed by an onshore Australian company. Australia doesn't seem to want people to use it as a base while working (and paying tax) elsewhere.

Even if the OP is eligible for permanent residency as an independent skilled migrant (depending on what he does for a living), such a visa requires that the holder stay in Australia for two out of every five years to renew it. I nearly fell foul of this rule once, and was told pointedly when trying to renew my permanent visa re-entry permit that permanent residency privileges in Australia are considered by the government to be a commitment, rather than a convenience. I was told that unless I spent more time in Oz, I would not get a re-entry permit in future. At the end I did spend more time there, and now am an Australian citizen.

I think that the age limit for an independent skilled migrant permanent visas has risen to 50 year old now. There's hope for us oldies yet.

Visa schemes for foreign skilled workers are intended for people who are actually looking to live (and pay tax) in Oz. The OP could ask his employer to sponsor him for a subclass 457 business visa - temporary residency for 4 years each visa, and can lead to permanent residency in the employer sponsors him for that. The 457 visa requires that the employee be paid locally though, and be fully employed by an onshore Australian company. Australia doesn't seem to want people to use it as a base while working (and paying tax) elsewhere.

Even if the OP is eligible for permanent residency as an independent skilled migrant (depending on what he does for a living), such a visa requires that the holder stay in Australia for two out of every five years to renew it. I nearly fell foul of this rule once, and was told pointedly when trying to renew my permanent visa re-entry permit that permanent residency privileges in Australia are considered by the government to be a commitment, rather than a convenience. I was told that unless I spent more time in Oz, I would not get a re-entry permit in future. At the end I did spend more time there, and now am an Australian citizen.

My understanding is there is no obligation to work for an Aus employer while on PR, but as you say, need to maintain an habitual residence in Australia, so I can't see any reason he can't keep his current job. So long has he has the skills to qualify under the independent scheme. Fly-in, fly out isn't unusual in OZ, thats for sure.

I have a couple of HK Chinese friends who migrated while the dad travelled back and forth to OZ. The main inpact is, as you say, it impacts the time served towards citizenship.

Still, odds are he'll be an Australian resident for tax purposes, so all his world wide income is taxable by the ATO while having such status. Certainly the case for me (though a citizen), earned income in HK and Thailand, but for 3 years, was an Australian tax resident.