Dutch bar owner killed in Udon Thani

Lite Beer

Hopefully this is a warning to those thinking of retiring in Thailand. Its a violent place and not as safe as you may think. Needless to say i have personally known at least 10 people who have died unnaturally in this country.

You need to get over your fear mongering the man was not retired here he was running a business which even holds dangers for Thai people. Thailand dangerous probably as a whole not any more than the US

I disagree, I think Thailand is much more dangerous than the US because it gives you a perception that it is safe thus you sometimes drop your guard. It's like a snake in the grass, you never see it coming until its too late.

I not like to hear of anyone getting killed for any reason but the guy killed ran girly bars so what do you expect. He lived daily with an element of society that is known for such actions.

Sent from my iPhone using ThaiVisa app

Sorry would really like to put this post to rest but to say "Thailand is much more dangerous than the US" is so WRONG! I'm from LA, been a many time to NY & to Phily. Whether it's a home invasion (torture/slaughter), making 'eye contact' with a gang member (head shot), having bricks thrown down from an overpass or being shot at while driving on the freeway (death from above), or beaten to death because you wouldn't give a handout to a homeless person. Then of course there's being imprisoned because you shot an invader who wanted to kill you but later he had a very good lawyer; than die/killed in prison because you shot one of their own. Please! Can walk these streets completely safe! Can't rely on the police or government here, but that is Thailand history & of no matter. Here, you just need them except for Visas or business. Thailand is probably one of the most safe countries I've been to.

Sent from my iPad using Thaivisa Connect Thailand

Hopefully this is a warning to those thinking of retiring in Thailand. Its a violent place and not as safe as you may think. Needless to say i have personally known at least 10 people who have died unnaturally in this country.

You need to get over your fear mongering the man was not retired here he was running a business which even holds dangers for Thai people. Thailand dangerous probably as a whole not any more than the US

I disagree, I think Thailand is much more dangerous than the US because it gives you a perception that it is safe thus you sometimes drop your guard. It's like a snake in the grass, you never see it coming until its too late.

I not like to hear of anyone getting killed for any reason but the guy killed ran girly bars so what do you expect. He lived daily with an element of society that is known for such actions.

Sorry would really like to put this post to rest but to say "Thailand is much more dangerous than the US" is so WRONG! I'm from LA, been a many time to NY & to Phily. Whether it's a home invasion (torture/slaughter), making 'eye contact' with a gang member (head shot), having bricks thrown down from an overpass or being shot at while driving on the freeway (death from above), or beaten to death because you wouldn't give a handout to a homeless person. Then of course there's being imprisoned because you shot an invader who wanted to kill you but later he had a very good lawyer; than die/killed in prison because you shot one of their own. Please! Can walk these streets completely safe! Can't rely on the police or government here, but that is Thailand history & of no matter. Here, you just need them except for Visas or business. Thailand is probably one of the most safe countries I've been to.

If you walk in many of the large US cities in the wrong area you are sure to have a problem. But prior to going there you know something could happen so you are on guard or you avoid those areas completely. But in most US cities, towns and country side it is safe and little chance of having a problem.... not to say it can not happen! Thailand on the other hand looks and feels safe almost anywhere you go. The unexpected happens too much in this country. If you add in the car accidents, mugging, scams, home invasions, people being drugged, rapes.... etc, It is not a safe place period. I lived in Bangkok, Burram and Pattaya. Pattaya was the worse by far. After two attempted home robberies, neighbors wife killed, two people robbed by motor bike team on the street in front of my house, other neighbor hit in the head with an iron pipe or something similar and almost died, many homes near by robbed ....and many other crazy events in a matter of two years I no longer felt safe and got out of there. And this was in a " nice area" . Go live up country and see how many people die in those small towns and villages .... Most never really never make the news it is just told around the village. You can't go to an event in villages without gangs breaking into fights after about 11:00pm. Drunk kids throwing bottles and shorting guns.

Perhaps you stay in your house and never wonder around, I am not sure. But your experience and mine are totally different.

If you walk in many of the large US cities in the wrong area you are sure to have a problem. But prior to going there you know something could happen so you are on guard or you avoid those areas completely. But in most US cities, towns and country side it is safe and little chance of having a problem.... not to say it can not happen! Thailand on the other hand looks and feels safe almost anywhere you go. The unexpected happens too much in this country. If you add in the car accidents, mugging, scams, home invasions, people being drugged, rapes.... etc, It is not a safe place period. I lived in Bangkok, Burram and Pattaya. Pattaya was the worse by far. After two attempted home robberies, neighbors wife killed, two people robbed by motor bike team on the street in front of my house, other neighbor hit in the head with an iron pipe or something similar and almost died, many homes near by robbed ....and many other crazy events in a matter of two years I no longer felt safe and got out of there. And this was in a " nice area" . Go live up country and see how many people die in those small towns and villages .... Most never really never make the news it is just told around the village. You can't go to an event in villages without gangs breaking into fights after about 11:00pm. Drunk kids throwing bottles and shorting guns.

Perhaps you stay in your house and never wonder around, I am not sure. But your experience and mine are totally different.

My point was more directed at people naive of America & in comparison overall considering all the places here it is by far much more safe than most of the world, excluding of course any uninhabited places. This is no doubt a Thai forum but more so a world forum.

As an American brought up in a harsh city of which is one of the most well known within the States, I know where to go & can tell people where to avoid & what the norm is with interaction. Also most of us own guns for a reason. But this doesn't help people who don't know the reality. The media in America (think every country) is quite shy in showing any bad event which will deter tourism.

Thailand is safe, the individual makes their fate.

The wife probably had the manager hired on her request. Old friend maybe, Isan has high murder rate of falangs per capita. Wifes, boyfriends, machete choping also.

The man has barely left this world and already TV member has solved the case.

RIP Fred had many a good night and chats with you in Models.

• Like 1

Very sad news. Hopefully the murderers will be quickly apprehended.

As Mr Boppe has mentioned, the name doesn't seem Dutch, unless it is a spelling mistake.

RIP

I have noted many TV posters who seem to think only traditional national names are sufficient for the citizens of any nation. Have you never heard of immigrants? Have you ever heard of Saxe-Coburg-Gotha? It's the family name of Prince Albert, Queen Victoria's husband and the family name of all the British royals since. Does Saxe-Coburg-Gotha sound English to you?

The only Prince Albert I know is Pipe Tobacco England is finished as a world power It is for poor people from the former colonies east Europe. Stop acting like it is something great

Harry, you certainly are confused, aren't you now. Clear your mind and re-read what I said.

1st of all condolences to the friends and family for their tragic and unnecessary loss.

2nd, what is it with these response personnel (police and ambulance) posing and pointing!!?? xxxxxxxx pigs!!! Like it's a trophy shot or something!

3rd, It seems that many successful falang business people in Thailand end up either dead or getting xxxxxxx over by Thai business partners/partners/partners family members and or friends!

1 Agree

2 Just because it is you who doesn't understand the local habits it doesn't give you the right to call others <deleted> pigs,

3 Nonsense.

Oh surprise!! Another troll on this forum bah.gif Oh and a platinum 1!!

"Understanding a local habit" to take photos with dead people? That's a good 1! clap2.gif

Put yourself or somebody you know in place of that poor fella.

And I have a right to say whatever the hell I want.

Out of 15 people I know personally that have been "in business" with a Thai partner, 5 of those have been screwed over.

So my 3rd point saying "it seems"...... is from a personal perspective! 5/15 or 1/3 is "many" in my book. "Nonsense"!? You don't know me so don't assume you know anything about the people I know. You personally probably don't know anyone who has had a bad experience with a Thai business partner!?

So yeh, you could disagree and raise a point but don't assume everything you don't know is "nonsense"

I'm also not saying that Thai business partners are the worst or any worse than any other nationalities.

Personally, I have not had a single bad experience with a Thai person in almost 2 years of living here (touch wood).

So don't bother with the "well if you don't like it here" crap. wai2.gif

• 9 months later...

Most retirees need not worry as they most likely will not be operating a beer bar, nor making income from bar fines.

I suggest you do some research on the Models 59 Bar and find out exactly the type of bar it was and its recent history. You can do your own search and read the delightful stories.

And yes indeed it is reported that the owner's "right hand man" has been arrested and accused of the murder.

What a disgraceful post! I knew it'd just be a matter of time before the Thaier-than-Thai apologists stunk up the thread by somehow blaming the victim. After all, they can't have such accusations of murder pointed at their beloved Thais without some kind of response to deflect the blame.

You see the same posters pop up every time an expat or tourist is slaughtered.

Suzuki GSX-R1000 L3 182 hp in-line 4 Superbike

Not sure he was being an "apologist" rather pointing out that some businesses may carry some inherent risk.

Sent from my GT-S7562 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Agreed... I saw no apologist style slant in what he said...