Ban the Bag.

Idontpaytaxsowhat

How would the ten's of thousands of Thais, get their take out food from those carts and noodle shops, market stalls etc without them ? What is a practical cost effective alternative ?

The bags are not the problem, people need to be educated and taught to dispose of them correctly and responsibly.

Good luck with that !

Edited by CharlieH
  • Like 2

ban plastic water bottles too ,they live much longer than bags

ban any non modern engines esp diesel trucks and buses

ban all 2 stroke oil burning motorcycles

ban dumping rubbish on roadsides

lots of things to ban if you want to start ..........:)

Use paper bag. It s natural. !

From the USA?

Yes, and paper serves the same purpose and is bio-degradable.

More usage of paper bags would mean less paper for folks to; hand out leaflets and put junk mail in your mailbox. A much better world.

Jerry

paper bags are shit though

imagine bringing home beer on your motorbike with paper bags

where would you hang them ?

what if it rains ?

what if your drink comes in a bag for some reason ?

plastic is useful ,they just need a responsible system in pplace for recycling it back into new plastic

The world needs to start now, thinking about banning plastic altogether, bags and bottles. First of all, they are made from oil, second, they don't decompose very well. The future of the world depends on the replacement of these depleting resources. Reuseable bags, and paper bags would be a start. It needs to start somewhere.

• Like 1

At least BigC and Lotus could teach their staff to not use such an incredible amount of bags for each customer. This would be good for both the environment and the shareholders of grocery stores.

Regarding take-away food, Thai people should be informed of the fact that plastics and hot food/drink are a bad combination and may be carcinogenic. Once such knowledge becomes well-spread, alternatives may develop.

Edited by Cosmo88
  • Like 1

Yes, ban the plastic bag, cut down more trees to make paper bags! Re-useable cloth bags i here you say, what about the CO2 footprint? You need to wash cloth bags or risk cross contamination, food poisoning and death. Plenty of studies showing reusable bags have a bigger environmental impact.

The problem is one of education, certain cultures simply throw away, litter and burn; thats what needs to change.

• Like 1

As for plastic bags.

The western allegedly 1st world countries discard of them aplenty,along with hazardous waste sold on,to true third world countries,for disposal

Proclaiming innocence,plus green economy compliance.

Ostriches the lot of you.

I think they are actually growing them in Thailand,i passed a plowed field recently and it seemed to me a new crop of bags where starting to push their way up to bloom,sorry i don't have a photo,but i could have sworn the new crop was plastic bags,like i have said before once rubbish leaves a thai persons hand for them it ceases to exist,a good education of advertisments and in schools may stem the problem,but i somehow doubt it,

At least BigC and Lotus could teach their staff to not use such an incredible amount of bags for each customer. This would be good for both the environment and the shareholders of grocery stores.

Regarding take-away food, Thai people should be informed of the fact that plastics and hot food/drink are a bad combination and may be carcinogenic. Once such knowledge becomes well-spread, alternatives may develop.

re; take away foods; So i suggest you try to explain this to your thai family,or friends,they will look at you and say "falang bin ba,or ting tong" carry on eating and forget in seconds what you have said,whilst enjoying some plaa ra and throwing bags all over,you must be new to the los.

I think they are actually growing them in Thailand,i passed a plowed field recently and it seemed to me a new crop of bags where starting to push their way up to bloom,sorry i don't have a photo,but i could have sworn the new crop was plastic bags,like i have said before once rubbish leaves a thai persons hand for them it ceases to exist,a good education of advertisments and in schools may stem the problem,but i somehow doubt it,

The phrase "Don't Mess with Texas" was prominently shown on road signs on major highways, television, radio and in print advertisements. The campaign is credited with reducing litter on Texas highways roughly 72% between 1986 and 1990. The campaign's target market was 18-35 year old males, which was statistically shown to be the most likely to litter. While the slogan was originally not intended to become a statewide cultural icon, it did.

"Don't Mess with Texas" has been awarded a plaque on the Madison Avenue Walk of Fame and a place in the Advertising Hall of Fame, a distinction given to only two slogans annually.

Edited by thailiketoo

How would the ten's of thousands of Thais, get their take out food from those carts and noodle shops, market stalls etc without them ? What is a practical cost effective alternative ?

The bags are not the problem, people need to be educated and taught to dispose of them correctly and responsibly.

Good luck with that !

You can not dispose of bags correctly or responsibly, ultimately they will end up in the ocean killing marine life and creating these 6th continent of litter in the middle of the Pacific.

If you burn them it's worse for the atmosphere.

One solution is to replace them by biodegradable ones, like paper but it destroys forests, or corn it also destroy forests.

The only solution is to teach people to carry their own bags, and refuse them from the shop, but it's a real challenge.

So yes banning is the only way.

Edited by Kitsune

Good luck with that !

You can not dispose of bags correctly or responsibly, ultimately they will end up in the ocean killing marine life and creating these 6th continent of litter in the middle of the Pacific.

One solution is to replace them by biodegradable ones, like paper but it destroys forests, or corn it also destroy forests.

The only solution is to teach people to carry their own bags, and refuse them from the shop, but it's a real challenge.

but theyre so convenient to put the garbage in and leave it outside ........

re-useing bags would be more hassle

id have to carry them back to the 7-11 ,they staff would think im crazy

and id still have the same problem of nothing to put my garbage in like

half eaten food that needs to be sealed or it stinks etc ....

Good luck with that !

You separate you litter and recycle plastic paper and glass.That's 2/3 of your waste disappearing right there.

Obviously they have to be taken away to recycle places.

That's why if they ban plastic bags, they also have to start separating it when picking it up and deliver it to the right location (which is not done now)

The wet rest can be used to make excellent compost if you have a garden.

For those who don't have a private garden, there could be a collect point for each neighborhood for you to deposit your wet waste.

Edited by Kitsune

Paper is a renewable resource.

Small, young , fast growing trees can be used to make pulp for paper.

Old growth forests are not needed to produce paper.

It could develop into a good business in Thailand.

Growing pulp producing trees between rice fields like they do with the Eucalyptus they grow and harvest every few years to make poles would work.

The pulp mills would employ many people as well.

If a Thai businessman or government employee could be convinced it was his idea, it could be done profitably here...after the ban on plastic!

Edited by willyumiii

Good luck with that !

You separate you litter and recycle plastic paper and glass.That's 2/3 of your waste disappearing right there.

Obviously they have to be taken away to recycle places.

That's why if they ban plastic bags, they also have to start separating it when picking it up and deliver it to the right location (which is not done now)

The wet rest can be used to make excellent compost if you have a garden.

For those who don't have a private garden, there could be a collect point for each neighborhood for you to deposit your wet waste.

the garbage would attract everything from roaches to rats and everything in between

and theyre be more flies than africa if the garbage wasnt sealed in plastic bags

until somoene invents an equally convenient system of disposing waste i dont think its going to catch on

nobodys has time to go every 2 days to 3-4 differnt places to dispose of paper ,glass ,plastic and food waste

even if it only took 10 minutes to separate everything i still dont think thais in general would do it unless the penalty

for not doing it was massive and farangs account for so little here we kinda have to do things their way until they

decide to change it

if i go out now ,im near guaranteed to come home with 10 bags

sliced fruits x 3 transparent ones and 1 big white one containing the rest

tesco or 7-11 will give me another 3 when i buy 10 litres of water

any other things say another 1-2 white bags

if i buy curry i get one for the food and one for the sticky rice and a white carry all for both

order a pizza and wings and it comes in a box ,then a massive bag

stop for an ice coffee and it has a plastic bag style handle but the cup is made of wax coated carboard??

ive even used them as ropes to tie things to the motorbike

i personally get given a high number of bags per day

does it all end in a landfill site ? is it even feasible to melt ti down and make new bags ? who knows ?

i just know everything comes in a bag .....:D