Marry an Indonesian girl and get a 25 year visa.

Since 87% or Indonesians are Muslim, I believe you would also be required to convert if your future wife is, and you are not..

But 25 years is a good deal..... if I had 4 wives would I get 100 years visa?

Even then you have about 35-40 million people that are non Muslems in Indonesia.

Sent from my GT-I9152 using Thaivisa Connect Thailand mobile app

Thought this was a Thailand forum.....NOT an Indonesian one.

AND maybe this topic would be better in the Visa section

Be that as it may......Marry an American women and you can permanent residency, work, and own property! and after an certain time can even get citizenship!

Have great weather in Florida, New Mexico, Arizona etc.....with CHEAP places to live TOO!

^^^^I have to agree

The plan was , when retiring from work, in about 7 years, to sell our property in the US, and between the proceeds from the sales,pension, social security, and 401K live comfortable there. The more I read about it, the more convinced I am, that unless things in Thailand change by the time I retire, this will not be a option for me. We will just simply come to Thailand, stay there for a few months, and return to the good old US.

My Thai wife did not have to jump through all this visa hoops when she came to the US. When she got here, she got her green card,and social security card, two years later she got her permanent Green card, and that was the end of it, no reporting, no stamps every 90 days, no work permits. Three years later she is an American citizen , with all the rights (except she cant run for president) of a born American citizen,. Can you imagine I my wife had to go to the immigration office every three months? ridiculous.

Why cant Thailand be the same? why cant I apply for a Thai Green card at a reasonable cost?. I would not mind reporting once a year so they can keep track of me, But every 90 days? what a hustle. what about when I am 90 (if I am so lucky)?and maybe I don't have all my faculties about me, do I need to depend on others to maintain my visa status, or I am shipped out?

I love Thailand and wish things were different, and maybe by the time I retire they will be

But the way thins are now, I don't think that's a chance I want to take with my old age.

I spend 40 minutes a year at immigration. I have not left Thailand in over a decade and my visa costs about 5 baht per day. Now what were you saying?

The Thai people in my country (sweden) spend 0 minutes at immigration and have not left the country in a decade. They have 0 baht per day in visa cost. Most have citicenship also. Everyone have workpermit and can buy land. Nearly free healthcare and medicin. Social security and pension.....

That's cool. But for 5 baht a day and 40 minutes a year at immigration I don't have to live in Sweden. Worth it to me and thousands of Swedes who now live in Thailand. Compare cost of living.

^^^^I have to agree

The plan was , when retiring from work, in about 7 years, to sell our property in the US, and between the proceeds from the sales,pension, social security, and 401K live comfortable there. The more I read about it,

I spend 40 minutes a year at immigration. I have not left Thailand in over a decade and my visa costs about 5 baht per day. Now what were you saying?

I am not there (retirement) yet so I don't really know, The way I read things, it seems to me that you need to get an extension every 90 days, Am I wrong?

As I said I would not mind reporting once a year, If it only need to be done once a year then it should be no problem,

If you retire you only need to report your address every 90 days which takes 5 minutes at immigration or you can do it by mail. So with a retirement extension you only need to go to immigration once a year and give them 1900 baht. Keep $25,000 in a Thai bank or show pension for that amount and you will only spend 20 minutes a year at immigration (depending on wait).

Sorry, I know this thread is about Indonesia,But..

How about Marriage Visa, When I retire, I rather get a marriage visa rather than a retirement visa, because maybe I will get bored, and maybe I would like to get a job teaching part time. Does it work the same as a retirement visa as far as reporting?

Sounds truly wonderful- however who on earth would want to live in a Muslim country- of course they would welcome my boyfriend with open arms- think the preferred methods of punishment are throwing off a cliff or having a large wall collapsed on you.

Think will stick to Thailand.

Ignorance and prejudice much. Homosexuality is NOT illegal in Indonesia, except in a couple of far-flung, semi-autonomous provinces run by fundies and operating Shariah law, where you likely wouldn't want to go anyway (in common with most Indonesians).

There are plenty of gay Indonesians, although like Thais, Filipinos, Cambodians, Chinese, Koreans etc. etc. they may not always be 'out'. Jakarta and Bali in particular have a thriving 'scene' - much bigger and more open than the Christian Philippines, for example.

Edited by Rumpole

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Even if you have a five year visa with a spouse in Indonesia - you are not permitted to work

You provided a lot of information in your posts.

Much of it was wrong.

Someone married to an Indonesian is allowed to work to support their family.

A little bit of (light as you put it) consultancy work in Thailand without a work permit is not ok...it is illegal.

The only thing you got right was your comment about the Sundanese.

They are lovely and the women are stunning.

In fact most of the female celebs and TV presenters in Indonesia come from this ethnic group.

Please provide the link that a foreigner is allowed under a Spouse visa to work in Indonesia and also please provide the fees.

I am a None Immigrant B visa holder and I am permitted to have business meetings in Thailand with potential clients to advise them on their IT strategy in Thailand? Hello - with a PR in Singapore why should I have a work permit in Thailand if I am only 3-7 days per month in Thailand on doing an advisory job with 3-5 companies in Thailand. I think it all comes to the point of who issuing the and request the visa, don't you think? If a company has between 2-10 billion Baht revenues a year and they pay on that 100-150 million Baht in taxes, your None Immigrant B visa will never be rejected and I have never ever had an immigration problem in Thailand.

I am getting paid to Singapore on a monthly basis and I have 5 more consultancy jobs in Malaysia, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Philippines and Dubai. Do I need 5 work permits? The Thai Embassy knows exactly what I am doing and this for the past 15 years.

Never mind about the withholding taxes annually of 700,000 Baht but I never had a problem in the past but of course I am not allowed to collect money within Thailand.

Looking forward to your response of Indonesia.

Thanks very much for the overview of how wonderful your business life is.

However, this thread is about comparing the rights given by the Indonesian government to an expat that marries on of its citizens.

Please stop trying to derail the thread.

<script type='text/javascript'>window.mod_pagespeed_start = Number(new Date());</script>

Even if you have a five year visa with a spouse in Indonesia - you are not permitted to work

You provided a lot of information in your posts.

Much of it was wrong.

Someone married to an Indonesian is allowed to work to support their family.

A little bit of (light as you put it) consultancy work in Thailand without a work permit is not ok...it is illegal.

The only thing you got right was your comment about the Sundanese.

They are lovely and the women are stunning.

In fact most of the female celebs and TV presenters in Indonesia come from this ethnic group.

I am a None Immigrant B visa holder and I am permitted to have business meetings in Thailand with potential clients to advise them on their IT strategy in Thailand? Hello - with a PR in Singapore why should I have a work permit in Thailand if I am only 3-7 days per month in Thailand on doing an advisory job with 3-5 companies in Thailand. I think it all comes to the point of who issuing the and request the visa, don't you think? If a company has between 2-10 billion Baht revenues a year and they pay on that 100-150 million Baht in taxes, your None Immigrant B visa will never be rejected and I have never ever had an immigration problem in Thailand.

I am getting paid to Singapore on a monthly basis and I have 5 more consultancy jobs in Malaysia, Hong Kong, Indonesia, Philippines and Dubai. Do I need 5 work permits? The Thai Embassy knows exactly what I am doing and this for the past 15 years.

Never mind about the withholding taxes annually of 700,000 Baht but I never had a problem in the past but of course I am not allowed to collect money within Thailand.

Looking forward to your response of Indonesia.

Thanks very much for the overview of how wonderful your business life is.

However, this thread is about comparing the rights given by the Indonesian government to an expat that marries one of its citizens.

Please stop trying to derail the thread.

Edited by fatdrunkandstupid

Rumpole, I, too, was rather of the impression that gays are thriving in Indonesia. Don't ask me where, but at least Bali, with its general permissiveness, would appear a very likely candidate. No problems with pork there, either.

It's not the same a Buddhist country where it is safe, Muslim majority in Indonesia for population 200 Miilions people and some church are been burn down and 1997 Indonesia Chinese have been killed and rape during Asia economy crisis, even it offer free for 100 years visa I don't even bother it.

What percentage of Thais do you think are actually practising Buddhists? Thailand has a poor record for violence due to personal/business disputes, robbery, jealousy etc. Agree Thailand is generally safe for foreigners but you do have to have your wits about you, can't wander around with your 'eyes closed'. 24 UK female nationals alone required Embassy support due to reported sexual assaults in 2012.

Indo government has one of the best records of any country in the world for countering and supressing Islamic extremism. Remember the massacre of the PKI Communists in the mid 1960s? One of the worst areas for the killings was in Hindu, Bali. Time Magazine hailed the suppression of the PKI as 'the Wests best news for years in Asia".

"Indo govt has one of the best records of any country in the world" you gotta be joking.Their human rights record would be amongst the worst in the world,even today.Locals getting pushed of land for palm plantations. Mass murder in Bali,East Timor,Irian Jaya,just to name a few,in the name of the govt,and no accountability either.Is Suharto your pin up boy.I have read some outragious comments on this forum in my time but this will be hard to top.

Since 87% or Indonesians are Muslim, I believe you would also be required to convert if your future wife is, and you are not..

But 25 years is a good deal..... if I had 4 wives would I get 100 years visa?

Even then you have about 35-40 million people that are non Muslems in Indonesia.

And 250 million who are of course.

From your minority, you may find fewer than 35 million who are female, of marrying age and who actually want a foreign husband.

Then good to go for 25 years.

Edited by jacko45k

It's not the same a Buddhist country where it is safe, Muslim majority in Indonesia for population 200 Miilions people and some church are been burn down and 1997 Indonesia Chinese have been killed and rape during Asia economy crisis, even it offer free for 100 years visa I don't even bother it.

What percentage of Thais do you think are actually practising Buddhists? Thailand has a poor record for violence due to personal/business disputes, robbery, jealousy etc. Agree Thailand is generally safe for foreigners but you do have to have your wits about you, can't wander around with your 'eyes closed'. 24 UK female nationals alone required Embassy support due to reported sexual assaults in 2012.

Indo government has one of the best records of any country in the world for countering and supressing Islamic extremism. Remember the massacre of the PKI Communists in the mid 1960s? One of the worst areas for the killings was in Hindu, Bali. Time Magazine hailed the suppression of the PKI as 'the Wests best news for years in Asia".

"Indo govt has one of the best records of any country in the world" you gotta be joking.Their human rights record would be amongst the worst in the world,even today.Locals getting pushed of land for palm plantations. Mass murder in Bali,East Timor,Irian Jaya,just to name a few,in the name of the govt,and no accountability either.Is Suharto your pin up boy.I have read some outragious comments on this forum in my time but this will be hard to top.

Don't twist the meaning of my post by clipping content. To repeat "Indo government has one of the best records of any country in the world for countering and supressing Islamic extremism"

Just don't mention the traffic. Or the poverty. Or ever-increasing population pressures on the existing infrastructure. Or the bureaucracy. Or endemic corruption.

Other than those little bumps in the road, I can see absolutely nothing wrong with the this plan ;)

I think it was misunderstood that one should have to marry an Indonesian girl just for the Visa.

IF you are in love with an Indonesian girl and want to marry her, it is very welcome to benefit from this new law.

I understand that Indonesia adapted their laws to modern life. Still, something we can dream of in Thailand.

I was in Indonesia many many times, not only for holiday. I still speak some basaha indonesia.

how much would marriage visa cost in indonesia ruppees?possible to file application online through indonesia immigration website?if it's really affordable,more pinoy men will go indonesia for marriage.

Just don't mention the traffic. Or the poverty. Or ever-increasing population pressures on the existing infrastructure. Or the bureaucracy. Or endemic corruption.

Other than those little bumps in the road, I can see absolutely nothing wrong with the this plan wink.png

Those "little bumps" are just as prevelent here in Thailand.

But no 25 year visa for spouses...

Oh...and in regard to traffic...Thailand is the second most deadly place to drive in the world. Notwithstanding the horrific traffic in places such as Jakarta, it is still safer to drive in Indonesian cities than in Thai cities. Why? There are very few Thai men driving on Indonesian roads. And...muslim men don't usually drive their pick up like a racing car when sh_t drunk.

Edited by fatdrunkandstupid

Other than those little bumps in the road, I can see absolutely nothing wrong with the this plan wink.png

Oh...and in regard to traffic...Thailand is the second most deadly place to drive in the world. Notwithstanding the horrific traffic in places such as Jakarta, it is still safer to drive in Indonesian cities than in Thai cities. Why? There are very few Thai men driving on Indonesian roads. And...muslim men don't usually drive their pick up like a racing car when sh_t drunk.

You wrote, "And...muslim men don't usually drive their pick up like a racing car when sh_t drunk." Which of course invites posting of street racing in Muslim countries or people shooting AK-47 in Public and a host of other anti Muslim feeling. And then you will say the posters are being prejudiced. Well fellow, the above post is a troll for anti Muslim posts and I'm sure you will get some. You asked for it.

Edited by thailiketoo

You keep harping on about this so called 25 yr spouse visa but for the life of me I cannot find a reference to it anywhere.

Or are you talking about the permanent resident visa which is valid for 5 years and it may be extended every 5 years up to a maximum of 5 times ?

What do you do after your 5th extension...leave the country ?

Nice that Thailand is not backwards like this and they do not cap the amount of extensions you can have.

Wym

My apologies.

Your comments on my other thread were lucid and well informed. You are obviously a wise bloke.

As an expat I view all potential places to live as products.

There products include various facets and attributes such as pricing, visa availability and ease of use, ammenities, dating opportunities....etc...etc...

The overwhelmingly negative facet of product Thailand for me is their visas.

I find their policies disgustingly anti family. Forced visa runs for O visas are a relevant example. Absence of a long term spouse visa is another.

How about Thais wanting to live in your country?. They face far more hurdles. So if you think Thailand visa regulations are disgusting, then in comparison visa regulations in your country must be positively revolting

Piffle.

Thais who marry a westerner and live in his or her country get access to permanent residency, welfare and enjoy the same legal rights and status as the general population.

What rights do I get if I marry a Thai and stay in Thailand?

They have to get that visa first,that's the hard part.

Be that as it may......Marry an American women and you can permanent residency, work, and own property! and after an certain time can even get citizenship!

Have great weather in Florida, New Mexico, Arizona etc.....with CHEAP places to live TOO!

^^^^I have to agree

The plan was , when retiring from work, in about 7 years, to sell our property in the US, and between the proceeds from the sales,pension, social security, and 401K live comfortable there. The more I read about it, the more convinced I am, that unless things in Thailand change by the time I retire, this will not be a option for me. We will just simply come to Thailand, stay there for a few months, and return to the good old US.

My Thai wife did not have to jump through all this visa hoops when she came to the US. When she got here, she got her green card,and social security card, two years later she got her permanent Green card, and that was the end of it, no reporting, no stamps every 90 days, no work permits. Three years later she is an American citizen , with all the rights (except she cant run for president) of a born American citizen,. Can you imagine I my wife had to go to the immigration office every three months? ridiculous.

Why cant Thailand be the same? why cant I apply for a Thai Green card at a reasonable cost?. I would not mind reporting once a year so they can keep track of me, But every 90 days? what a hustle. what about when I am 90 (if I am so lucky)?and maybe I don't have all my faculties about me, do I need to depend on others to maintain my visa status, or I am shipped out?

I love Thailand and wish things were different, and maybe by the time I retire they will be

But the way thins are now, I don't think that's a chance I want to take with my old age.

Your loss mate,just because of a 90 day report.I use it as a blurt on the bike.It takes me longer to get my gear off,than when i do the report.Just sit in the chair,look at computer screen,confirm 2 questions,see ya later.

Don't twist the meaning of my post by clipping content. To repeat "Indo government has one of the best records of any country in the world for countering and supressing Islamic extremism"

I didn't intend to twist content,but you confused me by writing about muslim extremists and then changing tack going on about the slaughter of communists.You quote Time as saying this is good news for the West.You do know 1000's of innocent civilians got caught up in that slaughter.Revelling in Indo's best record does you no favours.To repeat,you gotta be joking.

@louse1953. I was responding to bkrungbank post commenting on Indo extremist killings and other matters - try reading it & you will understand. I am not revelling in Indos slaughter of an estimated 500k alleged PKI communist activists & sympathisers, it was 'Time' that did so and I mentioned it the context of some quarters in the West who at the time had no issue with the massacres;.it was not just Indo’s who were OK with the suppression of ethnic Chinese in Indonesia. In the historical context, in my opinion, it contributed to the agenda for future actions against minorities that as you pointed out are occuring to this day. In some instances abuses have again been ignored or minimised by some in the West for political / commercial gain e.g.

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2013-10-28/rollo-west-papua-complicity/5049204

Apologies to OP, but wished to clarify false accusations.

WOW.....interesting thread .....marry someone just because you can get a longer visa and less hassle....NOT because you love them.

cheesy.gif

Lots of people in Indonesia, so I'm sure you could have both love and a visa

One thing to be careful about in marrying an Indo girl...most of them are Muslim, but many don't consider themselves devout. But to many devout Indo Muslims, a Muslim girl marrying a non-Muslim westerner can be a problem, especially in certain villages on Sumatra and Java. While the girl herself doesn't care if you are a non-Muslim, some of the "homeboys" in these villages can get a little "cranky" if you show up in their village with your young, beautiful "Muslim" bride. Just be careful what you get yourself into. That all being said, Indonesian women are perhaps the most drop-dead gorgeous women I have ever met and very sweet and easy-to-get-along-with personalities on top of that.

Marry an American woman and you just may as well hand over all your life savings and assets upfront. Marriage (and the highly probable) subsequent divorce in most states in the US is a license to steal for women. On top of that, most US women have the bedside manner of a rusty chainsaw; even the fat and ugly ones are mean, hard to please and ungrateful.

Lots of people in Indonesia, so I'm sure you could have both love and a visa

That all being said, Indonesian women are perhaps the most drop-dead gorgeous women I have ever met and very sweet and easy-to-get-along-with personalities on top of that.

Totally agree.

Rank Country Miss Universe 1st Runner-up 2nd Runner-up 3rd Runner-up 4th Runner-up Semifinalists Total

1 23px-Flag_of_the_United_States.svg.pngUSA 2 23px-Flag_of_Venezuela.svg.pngVenezuela 3 23px-Flag_of_Puerto_Rico.svg.pngPuerto Rico 4 23px-Flag_of_Sweden.svg.pngSweden 5 22px-Flag_of_Brazil.svg.pngBrazil 6 23px-Flag_of_Finland.svg.pngFinland 7 23px-Flag_of_the_Philippines.svg.pngPhilippines 8 23px-Flag_of_Australia.svg.pngAustralia 9 23px-Flag_of_Japan.svg.pngJapan 10 23px-Flag_of_India.svg.pngIndia 11 23px-Flag_of_Canada.svg.pngCanada 12 23px-Flag_of_Mexico.svg.pngMexico 13 23px-Flag_of_Trinidad_and_Tobago.svg.png14 23px-Flag_of_Thailand.svg.pngThailand

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Miss_Universe_country_rankings

Edited by thailiketoo